• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are the current expectations for Starfield too high for it to reach?

Are current expectations for Starfield too high for it to reach?

• Yes

Votes: 182 60.5%
  • No

Votes: 119 39.5%

• Total voters

R6Rider

Gold Member
Many people will overhype themselves as usual.

Personally think it will be awesome in some areas, but lacking in others. I can see the actual character customization being a bit underwhelming and wouldn't be shocked if the quest design and structures aren't anything more than okay.

sainraja

I have never really been that into Bethesda's games and recently tried getting into Elder Scrolls and just couldn't, even though I like fantasy type of games. I will try Starfield upon release but I dunno if it will be for me. I do think the game will score high (likely a 10). They'd have to mess up real bad for it not to score that high.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
all eyez on TODD

OrnateAdorableHarvestmouse-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
I don't think so. It's an exclusive title with the full weight of MS behind it. It better be good.

I hope it's good

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
It's going to be like Skyrim with broken quest lines and bugged items you cannot get rid of.
Even now the game is still bugged and not yet patched. You have to rely on fan patches to resolve any issues.

reksveks

Hyped for the systems and potential mods
Not particularly hyped for the shooting and planet level travelling.

Re graphics, honestly I know Bethesda limitations and it doesn't matter too much to me.

Personally expecting mc/oc of mid 80

GHG

No.

The delay plus all the talk of Microsoft's money/backing = expectations are right where they should be.

Vol5

The gameplay video was atrocious. Awful gunplay, shit animations, shit AI, shit graphics. Music was alright. The video gave you no clue at all why we were at the base and shooting pirates...To pick up a gun in a case locked with a puzzle a 5 year old could solve? If it's a massive spawling space faring adventure then take us through a single mission.

This will be a disaster unless basked in the oven for at least another 2 years.

Fbh

Are expectations really that high?
I expect it to be Fallout/Elder Scrolls in space, gameplay reveal looked like Fallout/Elder Scrolls in space.

I'm personally looking forward to it because I like the Bethesda Formula and Sci Fi appeals more to me than nuclear apocalypse or generic fantasy. But I'm not expecting anything more than the traditional Bethesda formula in a new setting

kungfuian

I think it's going to mirror Halo infinite in that it releases a year later than it was anticipated and everyone will say it should have been in the oven for a year longer than that. It's a 2024 game that will release in 2023.

Is skyrim in space enough in 2023? There may not have been many open worlds back then but Bethesda have been surpassed since. Their shitty combat, dialogue and stiff animations will stick out like a sore thumb unless they have drastically improved in those areas.

Last edited:

damidu

it was more warped before their gameplay demo.
currently its better aligned with reality i think. basically a prettier version of their archaic engine with all the positives and negatives it entails.

todd’s 30fps comments soured me further though.
they showcased fps gameplay half of the demo and ill be real pissed if it only runs at 30fps on series x.
can’t imagine 30fps gun play anymore.

Pelta88

Podcasts, interviews, endless PR from execs, trailers, a NY gallery worth of concept art, culminating in a trailer that underwhelmed and didn't generate a lot of excitement outside of XBOX podcasts.

It reminds me of the expectations placed on Titanfall.

Justin9mm

I have this feeling this game is going to be a bit of a mess for some reason.

The game has been in conception since 2013 or something like that. I think it has some major issues. I have a feeling it's also going to run like shit.

I get it Gamepass Day 1 anyway so I'll be rooting for its success though. Xbox needs system sellers. Without gamepass they would of crashed and burned.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
I hope it is good. It will be considered the best game ever like Halo Infinite was at release no matter how it is.

Swift_Star

Banned
The problem with this game is that the Xbox fans are treating it like it’ll be the second coming and savior for Xbox and it’s simply not possible to achieve this. It’s going to be your run of the mill Skyrim on space.

Andodalf

Banned
I just think its going to be fallout in space. anything more and i'll be impressed.
No way! It’ll be Skyrim in Space 😎

With Guns…..

….

And that's the part I don't understand.

To me, they are not fine.

A few, yeah they're expected and forgivable. But Bethesda, and their customers, seem to revel in them. Like it's some kind of endearing trait.

It's bullshit.

Skyrim is one of the best selling games of all time, and no one has even tried to copy it. It takes a miracle to make these games work.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Probably. People always get the hype train going to a ridiculous degree only to bitch about everything once the game finally comes out. It's like every fucking time, nobody ever learns.

The only exception being games made by Miyazaki, in which case gamers trample over each other to be the first ones to suck his cock dry.

I have no expectations for it. Bethesda for me has been good when it comes to Elder Scrolls but I just don’t care for Fallout at all.

dorkimoe

yes and people only have themselves to blame. just like Anthem, they see a tiny bit of footage and get a boner that lasts 3 years

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I'd love for Starfield to be what No Man's Sky claimed to be all those years ago on the Jimmy Fallon show, but I know it won't be.

Having said that, a run-of-the-mill Skyrim-in-space doesn't exist, so I would gladly take a run-of-the-mill Skyrim-in-space if that's what it turns out to be.

Roberts

These days I’m only having any kind of expectations when I go to a new restaurant.

I wish Bethesda all the best. If the game kicks ass, I will gladly sink 100 hours into it just like I did with Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim and all the Fallout games. If it sucks, I have ton of other games to play.

Top Bottom