• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMORED CORE VI FIRES OF RUBICON – Gameplay Preview Trailer Dropping Tomorrow

hyperbertha

Kinda eh on this. Hud and those markers are too much. Devs REALLY need to not implement markers in their games. Graphically looks early PS4 level which isn't surprising. Gameplay seems to lack the feedback of previous games. Need to see more.

MMaRsu

Banned
You don't need an interconnected world nor a story that's told in riddles to be Souls-like. You just ignored everything I pointed out, while one of the most well-known people in the Souls world, made a video, after playing the game and said flat out that it was very much Souls-like.

Come on breh.

I honestly don't care about VaatiVaadya or whatever his name is..

Just because he's made a career over Dark Souls does not mean every FromSoft game equals Dark Souls

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I've gotten every single FROM game but was not happy with Elden Ring. This is more appealing to me because it's something a bit different finally. Will wait for reviews and user impressions.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Happy Ice Hockey GIF by NHL
That kid will never experience a Stanley Cup win for his team, and that puts a smile on my face.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The footage looks a bit crunchy. It got xbox controls so either bad encode from pc or console.
day1 for me anyway. I am considering getting that fucking garage. So good

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
My goodness. We get giant freeform multi layered 3d levels and flight options and people are complaining about the graphics looking like they... were on a game that is on both the ps4 and ps5.

Honestly? Too bad the game is crossplay.

We need more real next gen shit.

This ps4 stuff is getting ridiculous

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
They really shouldn't put 6 in the title. It looks to play much different than previous games. Putting 6 in there automatically makes it more hostile to new players who never played previous games.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
They really shouldn't put 6 in the title. It looks to play much different than previous games. Putting 6 in there automatically makes it more hostile to new players who never played previous games.
I agree with that. But maybe as someone that played a few of the originals. Actually, I only played the ones on the PS1.

Im really glad they kept the extremely huge enemies like in for answer. The strider collapsing when its leg got blown up was really cool, and I am excited to see what kinds of component based destruction we will see as the game goes on.

This reminds me more of like ZoE2 than the original AC games and, tbh, Im ok with that. From has always trended towards faster rather than methodical since DS1 released, and they have done a good job of keeping things strategic while moving more quickly as they progressed as a studio.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The previous generations of AC games each heavily changed up their mechanics and style. And the franchise was dead and buried for a decade. I'm personally not hostile toward this at all, just happy to see a game that feels like it's an update to the golden age of PS2 action games where every month we'd get something like Zone of the Enders 2 or Armored Core For Answer or DMC3 or PoP:SoT etc. etc. Games with a reasonable budget and development cycle that weren't afraid to try new things.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I've watched a vid reviewing all AC games. It's completely different genre with 6 lol
And that’s totally cool, but like you said, maybe don’t align in numerically with the past.

I feel the same way with Final Fantasy games lately. After tossing traditional JRPG elements, I think that FF16 should be something like Final Fantasy: Phoenix Down

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

Disagree Rof, it doesn't look nor play "much different" than previous games - it's just a normal evolution of the gameplay.

Have you played the previous ACs ? let me tell you friend, they're ARCHAIC by today's standards when it comes to gameplay/camera controls- AC4, AC4 FA and AC5 maybe being the exception although I'd argue that they also haven't aged THAT well.

All franchises evolve and have their systems updated and improved , it doesn't mean that they have to change their titles each and every time.

"Armored Souls" would have sucked btw 😁
Also, why call it "Armored Core : fires of Rubicon" from the moment it IS the 6th installment ?

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
via
https://blog.playstation.com/2023/0...on-a-triumphant-return-to-fromsoftwares-past/

FromSoftware has brought the Armored Core series back out after over a decade to give us what is shaping up to be one of the series’ best entries yet. The upcoming Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon takes cues from the studio’s most recent titles but retains everything fans of the mech action series have come to love. What we get is a title that doesn’t forget its complex mech simulator identity while still finding fresh ways to advance its formula for a new generation.

giphy.gif

During a recent hands-on event, Bandai Namco allowed us to enter the armory, craft a mech of our choice, and visit planet Rubicon to work as a freelance mercenary and get a substantial taste of Armored Core VI’s first chapter. Read on for all the details we could squeeze out from five hours of playtime.

Continuous customization is key​

giphy.gif

As soon as you jump into Armored Core VI, you’ll find out that the Armory–where you can build and edit your Armored Core (AC for short)–will be where you’ll spend a significant chunk of your time. Maintaining and customizing your AC is a necessity to meet the arduous demands of being a freelance mercenary. Unlike its sibling “Souls” titles, Armored Core VI’s gameplay loop consists of completing various missions, which can involve defeating a mysterious organization of invisible cloaked ACs, taking on an entire army, or even dueling against a colossal mech. Due to the ever-shifting nature of the game’s mission objectives, it’s essential to take advantage of all your personalized AC options so that you may defy expectations and live another day.

Options to make a dream (or nightmare) mech​

In Armored Core VI, you’re able to fully customize and swap out the body parts, core, weapons, boosters, defensive mechanisms, and weight class of your AC. Continually customizing your AC can be essential to survival. For example, at times, you might need access to faster mobility, meaning Schnieder legs and their high-jumping and speed capabilities are a must. Other times you may need the Caterpillar tank legs to support a massive load of heavy weaponry and armor to keep you in the fray against a sea of enemies. Armored Core VI gives you the freedom to take on missions with whichever parts combinations you need to get the job done (while also looking aesthetically pleasing doing so).

giphy.gif

Style makes the mech​

Speaking of aesthetics, you not only have the ability to edit the capabilities of your AC, but the visuals, too. While the series has always allowed players to change the parts and colors of AC units, you can now change its condition and texture as well. This means you can make your mech look fresh off the production line, or like a rusted antique discovered in a long-abandoned facility (as we did with our rustic Nine Ball knockoff).

giphy.gif

OS Upgrades​

This customizable option is new to the series and offers additional adjustments to your AC that change the feel of piloting your mech. For example, some upgrades allow for faster turning, the ability to use swappable handheld weapons instead of equipping larger shoulder add-ons, or give added armor for the new Assault Boost maneuver. Each of these OS Upgrades can completely change the playing field, especially when fighting against tough opponents, such as the case of being able to swap from a machine gun to a heavy-hitting bazooka on the fly to more readily devastate a staggered enemy.

For veteran fans: An OS upgrade that might pique your attention is manual targeting, which restores the classic style of aiming without the help of auto-targeting from earlier entries. Be sure to equip it if you want a particularly old-school challenge.

giphy.gif

Weapons on weapons​

The vast wealth of customization options available also extends to weapons. There are so many combinations to try out, each with the potential to completely change the way you play the game. Given the unique feel of each weapon, you’re encouraged to experiment not only to see what works best for you but also to better overcome the various threats in missions. For instance, when you need more tailored firepower to get around enemy shields, you might want to equip plasma missiles that fire upward and into an arc to hit foes from behind. Or you could even equip an energy blade that can knock the shield out of their hands with a single strike. There are many viable weapon loadouts for a variety of situations, so how you equip your AC in a mission is entirely up to you.

Armory stations let you customize mid-mission​

Armored Core VI emphasizes constantly changing your loadout to suit the situation, but sometimes the demands change in the middle of a mission. Thankfully, there are Armory stations available in certain areas, allowing you to customize your AC on the fly before tackling specific sections ahead. For example, the beginning of a mission might require you to stay on your toes fighting multiple speedy enemies, while the boss at the end may necessitate more firepower. During key moments, Armored Core VI isn’t against letting you hit the dressing room for a style change to show up prepared.

giphy.gif

A vast heavy metal adventure​

Aside from the customization, Armored Core VI showcases its ambition in plenty of other areas as well. From its movement options to the mission maps, the game has tons of content to sink your teeth into.

Movement made to master​

Armored Core sets itself apart from Dark Souls and Elden Ring by emphasizing vertical and horizontal gameplay and movement. While the Souls games take place entirely on the ground, Armored Core requires you to adapt to the situation by taking to the skies and using all the space offered to you to complete your mission. Staying on the ground as you would in the Lands Between will result in a swift defeat.

giphy.gif

Hours of missions to complete​

FromSoftware has packed Armored Core VI with tons of varied missions to take on, each different from the last. Some missions will send you into an arena to take on another AC pilot one-on-one; others will pit you against an entire army as you attempt to destroy their power plant. Regardless of the task at hand, you’ll need to constantly adapt to your enemies and their surroundings to succeed.

Giant and varied battlegrounds​

Each mission also features a vastly different map to explore and conquer. The unique setpieces present a memorable experience and allow for different play styles each time. You can go in guns blazing, sneak around like a metal assassin, or even blitz through without attacking enemies at all.

giphy.gif

A story-filled adventure​

Armored Core VI is suffused with FromSoftware’s brand of subtle storytelling. Each mission begins with a briefing from your commander and, at times, an introduction to a new force or player in the war for planet Rubicon. Once a mission is underway, the game expands on these small and intertwined plotlines by introducing characters and other little pieces of lore that build up this larger picture of the world around you. You’ll also impact these plotlines through the choices you make. One mission we played presented us with the choice of either being a ruthless mercenary and killing an enemy rebel, or ignoring them and sticking to the job of destroying their power supply. Whatever choice you make, you’ll experience a game full of personality.

giphy.gif

Modes and replayability galore​

Armored Core VI also features a variety of different modes, such as the Arena, where you’ll face off against another AC pilot in a battle to the death with the goal of ranking up. Along with the main missions, these modes offer tons of replayability, letting you take on things in a new style, follow a different story path, or simply rack up more money so you can buy that new set of legs you wanted from the shop.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Not while it's in EA, but could be eventually.
My balls will remain blue the, lol. But thanks for the recommendation. I’m glad I’m not the only one that holds King’s Field in high regard. Also not the only old one that played them, lol. I remember being so damn scared playing that game.

Sorry folks for going off topic.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
lewd funny sex GIF

Looks very cool, the flying and darting around, the missiles shooting off everywhere. I am in day one.

I think the sense of scale is incredible and the art style.

Froms graphics definitely need a new engine but that will come, their gameplay time and time again is so solid and that's why I am in.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Disagree Rof, it doesn't look nor play "much different" than previous games - it's just a normal evolution of the gameplay.

Have you played the previous ACs ? let me tell you friend, they're ARCHAIC by today's standards when it comes to gameplay/camera controls- AC4, AC4 FA and AC5 maybe being the exception although I'd argue that they also haven't aged THAT well.

All franchises evolve and have their systems updated and improved , it doesn't mean that they have to change their titles each and every time.

"Armored Souls" would have sucked btw 😁
Also, why call it "Armored Core : fires of Rubicon" from the moment it IS the 6th installment ?
I've only watched that vaati video. not played any.
Just explaining what I am seeing

Interfectum

The previous generations of AC games each heavily changed up their mechanics and style. And the franchise was dead and buried for a decade. I'm personally not hostile toward this at all, just happy to see a game that feels like it's an update to the golden age of PS2 action games where every month we'd get something like Zone of the Enders 2 or Armored Core For Answer or DMC3 or PoP:SoT etc. etc. Games with a reasonable budget and development cycle that weren't afraid to try new things.
It's evident from the reactions in this discussion why developers might hesitate to create such games. If it doesn't stand as the most visually appealing game they've ever seen, some dismiss it as being on par with a PS2 game. Remarkably, this sentiment is expressed by a group that is presumed to be knowledgeable gamers.

via
https://blog.playstation.com/2023/0...on-a-triumphant-return-to-fromsoftwares-past/

FromSoftware has brought the Armored Core series back out after over a decade to give us what is shaping up to be one of the series’ best entries yet. The upcoming Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon takes cues from the studio’s most recent titles but retains everything fans of the mech action series have come to love. What we get is a title that doesn’t forget its complex mech simulator identity while still finding fresh ways to advance its formula for a new generation.

giphy.gif

During a recent hands-on event, Bandai Namco allowed us to enter the armory, craft a mech of our choice, and visit planet Rubicon to work as a freelance mercenary and get a substantial taste of Armored Core VI’s first chapter. Read on for all the details we could squeeze out from five hours of playtime.

Continuous customization is key​

giphy.gif

As soon as you jump into Armored Core VI, you’ll find out that the Armory–where you can build and edit your Armored Core (AC for short)–will be where you’ll spend a significant chunk of your time. Maintaining and customizing your AC is a necessity to meet the arduous demands of being a freelance mercenary. Unlike its sibling “Souls” titles, Armored Core VI’s gameplay loop consists of completing various missions, which can involve defeating a mysterious organization of invisible cloaked ACs, taking on an entire army, or even dueling against a colossal mech. Due to the ever-shifting nature of the game’s mission objectives, it’s essential to take advantage of all your personalized AC options so that you may defy expectations and live another day.

Options to make a dream (or nightmare) mech​

In Armored Core VI, you’re able to fully customize and swap out the body parts, core, weapons, boosters, defensive mechanisms, and weight class of your AC. Continually customizing your AC can be essential to survival. For example, at times, you might need access to faster mobility, meaning Schnieder legs and their high-jumping and speed capabilities are a must. Other times you may need the Caterpillar tank legs to support a massive load of heavy weaponry and armor to keep you in the fray against a sea of enemies. Armored Core VI gives you the freedom to take on missions with whichever parts combinations you need to get the job done (while also looking aesthetically pleasing doing so).

giphy.gif

Style makes the mech​

Speaking of aesthetics, you not only have the ability to edit the capabilities of your AC, but the visuals, too. While the series has always allowed players to change the parts and colors of AC units, you can now change its condition and texture as well. This means you can make your mech look fresh off the production line, or like a rusted antique discovered in a long-abandoned facility (as we did with our rustic Nine Ball knockoff).

giphy.gif

OS Upgrades​

This customizable option is new to the series and offers additional adjustments to your AC that change the feel of piloting your mech. For example, some upgrades allow for faster turning, the ability to use swappable handheld weapons instead of equipping larger shoulder add-ons, or give added armor for the new Assault Boost maneuver. Each of these OS Upgrades can completely change the playing field, especially when fighting against tough opponents, such as the case of being able to swap from a machine gun to a heavy-hitting bazooka on the fly to more readily devastate a staggered enemy.

For veteran fans: An OS upgrade that might pique your attention is manual targeting, which restores the classic style of aiming without the help of auto-targeting from earlier entries. Be sure to equip it if you want a particularly old-school challenge.

giphy.gif

Weapons on weapons​

The vast wealth of customization options available also extends to weapons. There are so many combinations to try out, each with the potential to completely change the way you play the game. Given the unique feel of each weapon, you’re encouraged to experiment not only to see what works best for you but also to better overcome the various threats in missions. For instance, when you need more tailored firepower to get around enemy shields, you might want to equip plasma missiles that fire upward and into an arc to hit foes from behind. Or you could even equip an energy blade that can knock the shield out of their hands with a single strike. There are many viable weapon loadouts for a variety of situations, so how you equip your AC in a mission is entirely up to you.

Armory stations let you customize mid-mission​

Armored Core VI emphasizes constantly changing your loadout to suit the situation, but sometimes the demands change in the middle of a mission. Thankfully, there are Armory stations available in certain areas, allowing you to customize your AC on the fly before tackling specific sections ahead. For example, the beginning of a mission might require you to stay on your toes fighting multiple speedy enemies, while the boss at the end may necessitate more firepower. During key moments, Armored Core VI isn’t against letting you hit the dressing room for a style change to show up prepared.

giphy.gif

A vast heavy metal adventure​

Aside from the customization, Armored Core VI showcases its ambition in plenty of other areas as well. From its movement options to the mission maps, the game has tons of content to sink your teeth into.

Movement made to master​

Armored Core sets itself apart from Dark Souls and Elden Ring by emphasizing vertical and horizontal gameplay and movement. While the Souls games take place entirely on the ground, Armored Core requires you to adapt to the situation by taking to the skies and using all the space offered to you to complete your mission. Staying on the ground as you would in the Lands Between will result in a swift defeat.

giphy.gif

Hours of missions to complete​

FromSoftware has packed Armored Core VI with tons of varied missions to take on, each different from the last. Some missions will send you into an arena to take on another AC pilot one-on-one; others will pit you against an entire army as you attempt to destroy their power plant. Regardless of the task at hand, you’ll need to constantly adapt to your enemies and their surroundings to succeed.

Giant and varied battlegrounds​

Each mission also features a vastly different map to explore and conquer. The unique setpieces present a memorable experience and allow for different play styles each time. You can go in guns blazing, sneak around like a metal assassin, or even blitz through without attacking enemies at all.

giphy.gif

A story-filled adventure​

Armored Core VI is suffused with FromSoftware’s brand of subtle storytelling. Each mission begins with a briefing from your commander and, at times, an introduction to a new force or player in the war for planet Rubicon. Once a mission is underway, the game expands on these small and intertwined plotlines by introducing characters and other little pieces of lore that build up this larger picture of the world around you. You’ll also impact these plotlines through the choices you make. One mission we played presented us with the choice of either being a ruthless mercenary and killing an enemy rebel, or ignoring them and sticking to the job of destroying their power supply. Whatever choice you make, you’ll experience a game full of personality.

giphy.gif

Modes and replayability galore​

Armored Core VI also features a variety of different modes, such as the Arena, where you’ll face off against another AC pilot in a battle to the death with the goal of ranking up. Along with the main missions, these modes offer tons of replayability, letting you take on things in a new style, follow a different story path, or simply rack up more money so you can buy that new set of legs you wanted from the shop.

Well done

Neolombax

At first I thought the graphics looked incredible. Then i read what some of you guys wrote, watched Vaatividya's playthrough of the same level, and then I can see what you guys meant. But I still feel it looks amazing, love the art direction for AC6. I'm just very happy there's a new mech game coming out soon.

Fbh

Never played an AC but this looks really nice to me. Combat seems fun and fast, I like the size of the areas and the the art direction looks cool. The customization seems to be pretty extensive which is nice too.

I won't be buying at launch because I've yet to even start FFXVI (Zelda still keeping me busy). But I'm definitely picking this up at some point in the near future.

BbMajor7th

Well I disagree but that's ok.

Just because you can lock on, give a backstab, enemies have stamina, means its a dark souls?

Never read this much rubbish.
It's not rubbish - Sekiro changed up plenty of things, but many essential elements FromSoft popularized in the Souls series remained.
  • Interconnected world
  • Open-ended exploration without maps or markers
  • Healing Gourd (Estus Flask)
  • Scultor's Idol (Bonfire)
  • Respawning enemies
  • Non-respawning bosses and sub-bosses
  • Hub zone with upgrade and merchant NPCs
  • Three endings connected to obscure NPC/item interactions
  • Light attack, heavy attack, dodge, block, parry...
It's not a 'soulslike' by any means - Sekiro is very much its own beast - but FromSoft's signature is all over it and a lot of design principles are ported straight across from the Souls series.

New Armored Core VI preview details:

• Game will be 50-60 hours long
• Environments are much larger and more vertical
• Enemies get more aggressive as their health drops
• PC has native 120 FPS support (first ever FromSoft game)
• Ray tracing can be enabled for the "Garage"
• Permanent upgrades can be earned in Arena mode
• OS Upgrades allow you to customize the feel of your mech
• Huge variety of weapons; Armory Stations allow you to change loadout mid-mission

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Still on the fence with this. Vaati seems to make it clear that there are far more Soulslike mechanics in this game than in previous ACs, which is good... but I've never been sold on mission based games, and the complexity of the upgrade system feels like it could bog you down in too much minutae. It does look pretty spectacular though, and as someone who's never played mech games, I'm happy to give this a go, if it reviews well. Let's face it, they don't make bad games...

Last edited:
Top Bottom