• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astral Chain is getting review bombed on metacritic due to it's Switch exclusivity

EDMIX

From their stance it seems they don't want to be bought either for a proper backing. It's a shame when Monolithsoft for example, look at what they've become now after being nurtured by Ninty's EPD.

I mean sure, but they might not have a choice in the future. Even Monolith, I like the team as I LOVE Xenogears and the Xenosaga series, but if the stayed at Namco, no telling if they would even still be around, I love those titles btw, but their sales where not enough to keep em afloat and who knows what could have happened to them. I think it made sense for all parties involved. Even though I wish we got another Xenosaga series, I understand it didn't move enough units to make sense for Namco.

@ EDMIX EDMIX : you can come up with own conclusion but I see almost all PlatinumGames’s own original IP like Bayonetta 1&2, Wonderful 101, Vanquish, MadWorld and now Astral Chain turned out great games. This my biggest reason why I had zero worry about Astral Chain and why I was super hype for it and exceeded my exception beautifully.

SEGA owns Bayo, Vanquished and Madworld, just wanna point that out

Their own IP comes out next year.

Last edited:
So it seems metacritic deleted the negative reviews but kept all the day 1 and day 0 10 out of 10's that people were giving it in response to the review bombs.

Still surprised MC is using user reviews. At the very least user reviews should be locked out until after like, 3 days of release before scores start being accepted.

So it seems metacritic deleted the negative reviews but kept all the day 1 and day 0 10 out of 10's that people were giving it in response to the review bombs.

Still surprised MC is using user reviews. At the very least user reviews should be locked out until after like, 3 days of release before scores start being accepted.
Fire Emblem Three Houses was also review bombed same time as Astral Chain (just like AC, the Fire Emblem reviews also got pulled), and it had already been out a month, so that would do nothing either. Also apparently Mario Maker 2 was also part of this review bombing, just to a much lesser degree.

Seems it was more than just people being mad AC was exclusive, but people mad the Switch got 3 acclaimed exclusives in such a short time frame.

TLZ

Banned
Why else would they be so upset? have you ever tried to fit a Switch into a PS4? it will wreck your disk drive too, and you won't be happy! Case closed.
Can't fault them. It does look like an enlarged, futuristic SSD-esque game cartridge :messenger_relieved:

goldenpp72

When they release a exclusive they are losing potential consumers on other platforms. Most consumers don't play on Switch.

How does this opinion exist? Do you not understand how money, contracts, and content development work? Astral Chain wasn't a game Platinum made out of thin air, Platinum is not a publisher, they are a developer. They need money to keep the lights on, Nintendo funded their talent to create this game to build their portfolio and likely owns the IP entirely just like they do with Wonderful 101. Microsoft did the same with Scalebound, Square did the same with Nier and Konami did the same with Metal Gear Rising. Also, Sega funded all their initial releases too.

Please continue being confused how money works.

Probably the same reason why SEGA wouldn't fund them for Bayonetta 2 or 3 (or anything else since) or why MS cancelled Scalebound or why they got removed from Granfantasy. Sounds to me like they have a history of issues.

...Star Fox Zero. That alone might give a publisher pause on giving them money lol

Platinum is actually known for being extremely efficient in their design process. They basically saved Metal Gear Rising in under a year while the original dev team couldn't even muster something playable. It was so bad Kojima himself basically took a huge dump on the original dev team. Star Fox Zero is also actually a pretty good (if a bit janky) game that also was the result of platinum picking it up late and trying to salvage it in a very short time.

The reason Sega wouldn't fund Platinum? Sega dissolved almost all of their big productions at the time and Platinum was just one of many victims. Nintendo will likely continue to fund Platinum for as long as Platinum is willing to allocate the resources for it. Despite the fact Star Fox and Wondeful 101 (an amazing game) bombed in sales, Nintendo sees value in building a diverse and at least beloved to hardcore portfolio. If you read the development process for Astral Chain, you'd see Nintendo has a specific mentality when it comes to Platinum and they make a good match in turn.

Sony likely has no desire to work with Platinum because Platinum focuses on frantic gameplay above all else, where as Sony focuses on story and well, a lot of walking.

Last edited:

Kazza

Sony likely has no desire to work with Platinum because Platinum focuses on frantic gameplay above all else, where as Sony focuses on story and well, a lot of walking.

ImportantWanBlackwidowspider-small.gif

As someone who loves hiking and is a ps4 owner I take offense in what you are saying, those games still have too much action going on, uncharted 4 should have come with a walk in the park mode day one - no enemies, no guns, pure walk and climb action!

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
To me Uncharted and the like are very well crafted, and to an extent they feel like a high quality movies. But I don't like the controls and the gameplay. I have a PS4 so I felt I HAD to buy games like Uncharted, TLOU and God of War, but I had no fun with any of them. Although I have to admit the scale, visuals and overall atmosphere are superb.

Reactions: Isa

goldenpp72

Probably the same reason why SEGA wouldn't fund them for Bayonetta 2 or 3 (or anything else since) or why MS cancelled Scalebound or why they got removed from Granfantasy. Sounds to me like they have a history of issues.

...Star Fox Zero. That alone might give a publisher pause on giving them money lol

Platinum is actually known for being extremely efficient in their design process. They basically saved Metal Gear Rising in under a year while the original dev team couldn't even muster something playable. It was so bad Kojima himself basically took a huge dump on the original dev team. Star Fox Zero is also actually a pretty good (if a bit janky) game that also was the result of platinum picking it up late and trying to salvage it in a very short time.

The reason Sega wouldn't fund Platinum? Sega dissolved almost all of their big productions at the time and Platinum was just one of many victims. Nintendo will likely continue to fund Platinum for as long as Platinum is willing to allocate the resources for it. Despite the fact Star Fox and Wondeful 101 (an amazing game) bombed in sales, Nintendo sees value in building a diverse and at leas
To me Uncharted and the like are very well crafted, and to an extent they feel like a high quality movies. But I don't like the controls and the gameplay. I have a PS4 so I felt I HAD to buy games like Uncharted, TLOU and God of War, but I had no fun with any of them. Although I have to admit the scale, visuals and overall atmosphere are superb.

I own a PS4 top of course, just a pattern you see after awhile. At least Spiderman turned out strong :p

kevin_trinh

Sony doesn't care about Platinum coz their game never sell

MS cancel Scalebound coz Platinum does not know how to manage big AAA PJ, same as Cy game.

Nobody want to give Platitum a big chunk of money anymore, even Nintendo

Last edited:

Animagic

Banned
If people want to play Astral Chain, go buy a switch and play it.

Or beg your mom to buy you one for Christmas 😂

I feel like these detractors aren't paying close attention.

Astral Chain is the sixth Nintendo exclusive from PlatinumGames with at least one more exclusive on the way (Bayo 3). Microsoft and Sony have exactly zero exclusives with the dev, in comparison.

That is 2 more than even SEGA who I think had 5?

Bayonetta
Madworld
Infinite Space
Vanquished
Anarchy Reigns

Seems that Nintendo helped them out a lot when no one else would take them after Transformers.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Nobody want to give Platitum a big chunk of money anymore, even Nintendo
What in fuck are talking about!!? We just got Astral Chain for Switch and later on we are getting Bayonetta 3. I get you are not fan of PlatinumGames but why do you act like this?. You did same BS with DQXI, when you don’t like something you just go full on hyperbolic rant.

CyberPanda

Banned
What in fuck are talking about!!? We just got Astral Chain for Switch and later on we are getting Bayonetta 3. I get you are not fan of PlatinumGames but why do you act like this?. You did same BS with DQXI, when you don’t like something you just go full on hyperbolic rant.
Start using the ignore feature. It works wonders.

I’m glad Nintendo funded astral chain and bayo 3. Platinum games rocks.❤️🌈🥰

MagnesG

Banned
Did people forgot who actually developed Metal Gear Rising (after hiccups) and Nier Automata?

I guess Nintendo should bought Platinum then, seeing people not being that grateful of their talent. They must love EA, Bioware or Bethesda more.

Can't fault them. It does look like an enlarged, futuristic SSD-esque game cartridge :messenger_relieved:
Yes, they should really put a big red warning on the box to indicate all the platforms where the game won't work or what it could break:
not compatible with the following.
Atari consoles from 2600 to Jaguar
coleco vision
NES, SNES
SMS, Genesis/MD
TG-16 or turbo duo
Gameboy, GBC, GBA, GB DS, GB 3DS
PSP, PS Vita
Wonder Swan/Wonder Swan color
Neogeo, neo geo portable, neo geo portable color
PS1, 2, 3, 4, Xbox OG, xbox 360, xbox one (any variant)
Comodore 64/128/Amiga
TRS/80
PC (linux, all distributions, or Windows, OS/2, DOS/FreeDOS, BSD/FreeBSD) - until an emulator is developed
Mac OS 1 though 9, as well as any version of OS X
IBM i servers
Sun OS
Silicon Graphics workstations
* for any missing platforms contact us via email null@switchexclusives.com

Isa

Why else would they be so upset? have you ever tried to fit a Switch cart into a PS4? it will wreck your disk drive too, and you won't be happy! Case closed.
At least it's not a Lego. I've heard tell of the horrors unleashed by such an inconspicuous little toy. In truth they are practically the ancient keys to unleash the apocalypse hidden in plain sight.

I think Nintendo is being very smart when it comes to securing exclusives. And a good variety to boot. Action games, rpgs, platformers, puzzlers and more. Few competitors have such a remarkable stable of quality titles. The fact that Nintendo continued(s) to invest in these titles regardless of sales numbers only instills me with greater confidence in my purchase. Also that there may be longer term rewards other than merely chasing immediate sales numbers that drop off over time. Mindshare and a solid system library are key traits, and people seem to overlook or discredit Nintendo when in truth they've been nailing it.

kevin_trinh

i dont consider Astral Chain AAA, simple as that. And yes DQ 11 is a shit game, that's another fact

Last edited:

kevin_trinh

Good games are good games, it doesn't matter its AA or AAA.
and i'm talking about "a big chunk of money", Why the fk did you quote me if you dont even understand what that mean? They only capable of making small game, or work as a hired worker to make another small game (Nier:A). Did Platinum ever made an AAA game before?

Danjin44

and i'm talking about "a big chunk of money", Why the fk did you quote me if you dont even understand what that mean? They only capable of making small game, or work as a hired worker to make another small game (Nier:A). Did Platinum ever made an AAA game before?
These days I don't really get meaning of "AAA". For example both Fire Emblem Three Houses and Pokemon Sword and Shield are considered as "AAA" because it big marketing push behind them but in terms of visuals Astral Chain is much, much better looking game even from tech stand point but Astral Chain doesn't have same marketing push as those two games.

Last edited:

kevin_trinh

These days I don't really get meaning of "AAA". For example both Fire Emblem Three Houses and Pokemon Sword and Shield are considered as "AAA" because it big marketing behind but in terms of visuals Astral Chain is much, much better looking game even from tech stand point but Astral Chain doesn't have same market ing push as those two games.
Coz Platinum game wont sell, why waste money to promote a hard selling game? They save money to push the system seller, and throw some money for Platinum to thicker their library, simple as that.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Coz Platinum game wont sell, why waste money to promote a hard selling game? They save money to push the system seller, and throw some money for Platinum to thicker their library, simple as that.
I’m personally glad Nintendo still funding their games because they are absolute blast to play! If only games that sell AAA level are allowed to be made then gaming industry would have been really boring.

Last edited:

kevin_trinh

I’m personally glad Nintendo still funding their games because they are absolute blast to play! If only games that sell AAA level are allowed to be made then gaming industry would have been really boring.
Every fucking publisher fund both small and big game, and its does not relate to my claim "Platinum cant make big game, and even Nintendo dont throw them a big budget"
Your trolling is boring. Try harder.
at least u quoted so its excited enough for you?

Danjin44

Every fucking publisher fund both small and big game, and its does not relate to my claim "Platinum cant make big game, and even Nintendo dont throw them a big budget"
Big in terms of what!!? Again Astral Chain is much more polished than both Fire Emblem and Pokemon that are considered “big game”. Are you just look at sell numbers to determine how “big” the game is instead of looking the game itself?

kevin_trinh

Big in terms of what!!? Again Astral Chain is much more polished than both Fire Emblem and Pokemon that are considered “big game”. Are you just look at sell numbers to determine how “big” the game is instead of looking the game itself?
Much more polished according to you? Big in term of funding number, in term of sale numbers. What the point of making big game if its not sell big? If Pokemon sale number is similar with Astral Chain then Nintendo should be dead from 20 year ago

Danjin44

Much more polished according to you? Big in term of funding number, in term of sale numbers. What the point of making big game if its not sell big? If Pokemon sale number is similar with Astral Chain then Nintendo should be dead from 20 year ago
because unlike you I actually played the game, also I guess in your eyes game like Last Guardian is not AAA game because it didn't sell well.

mcjmetroid

What do you define as a big game if Astral Chain isn't included?
I haven't played Astral Chain yet but as Switch games go it's one of the best looking ones and it's meant to be quite long too.

Hudo

Fanboys are almost always the fucking worst. There's a reason why some developers choose not to interact directly with (their) hardcore fans. Doesn't matter really which medium, sadly.

Reactions: TLZ
At least it's not a Lego. I've heard tell of the horrors unleashed by such an inconspicuous little toy.
If you had kids you would know that legos are evil, the day you walk on their sharp edges your notion of good and evil changes forever.
I think Nintendo is being very smart when it comes to securing exclusives. And a good variety to boot. Action games, rpgs, platformers, puzzlers and more. Few competitors have such a remarkable stable of quality titles.
They do, I would argue that the ps4 probably has a lot of indie titles exclusive to their platform as well, but Sony doesn't care for them anymore - which is a shame, they should highlight the top ones.

This is a bit like the Vita situation, people who have the platform love it, there aren't that many games on it... So they all get a chance to shine. (That does not remove the merits, about half of my gaming is on smaller titles, or old classics from the 80 and especially the 90s).

EDMIX

Coz Platinum game wont sell, why waste money to promote a hard selling game?

Because not every game needs to move 20 or 100 million units. The games still sell enough as to why they are still in business.

because unlike you I actually played the game, also I guess in your eyes game like Last Guardian is not AAA game because it didn't sell well.

Agreed, a game not selling well has nothing to do with AAA or anything like that. Though I don't think this game is AAA, that view isn't based on sales or anything.

TLZ

Banned
Why do you care if a game is AAA or BBB? As long as a game is giving you entertainment, that's all that matters, right? Or do you only eat at the fanciest, classiest restaurants because you think they make the best tasting food? Do you not eat at an average or small place that has great food?

giphy.gif

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
Astral Chain is one of the best games I’ve played this generation. I can only put the From Software stuff above it, Bloodborne in particular. Is it Triple A? To me it has the similar level of production value to BOTW, in that it looks great and has a significant amount of content. It’s a new IP in 3rd person action, it’s great to see as the genre has lost popularity since PS2 days. I think this genre is due for a resurgence and Astral Chain is the kind of game that will bring new fans to the genre. Good move by Nintendo.

I am a fanboy of 3rd person action 😩

EDMIX

It’s a new IP in 3rd person action, it’s great to see as the genre has lost popularity since PS2 days. I think this genre is due for a resurgence and Astral Chain is the kind of game that will bring new fans to the genre.

As a big fan of 3rd person action myself, I can't say we really lacked any 3rd person action titles in the last 2 gens tbh. Unless you mean some other sub genre, we got lots and lots of 3rd person action titles and I'd argue those that made 3rd person titles in the past, still make them today if they exist as studios still......like most of them. If anything ,what titles came during PS2 that are in that genre that don't exist today or don't have a replacement etc?

Some of my favorite titles this gen are 3rd person like Horizon, Nier, DMC5, Bloodborne, Hitman 1 and 2, Metal Gear Solid 5, RE2, Red Dead, Yakuza, Days Gone, Gravity Rush etc and thats just a few. So I like the genre, but can't say we are lacking in it and many of the series I like during PS2 that were 3rd person ironically I still play those sequels lolz

Short list of my favorite PS2 gen 3rd person action titles,

Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3
GTAVC and SA
Ico
DMC3
Onimusha
Resident Evil 4 and Outbreak, 2002 remake, Zero
Max Payne 1 and 2

Consider we still got titles from all the teams I stated this gen and even last that are in 3rd person even if the IPs don't exist anymore. So I don't know if I can go as far as to say we are lacking in any compared to other gens and I don't know if I can say its bringing in any new fans...

If you hate 3rd person, this does nothing to suddenly make you like it lol If someone hates that, they hate the perspective, so I don't see any game making them suddenly have a change of heart and buy other 3rd person titles as it becomes a moot point, ie I hate First Person Shooters (Well hopefully Call Of Duty 27th will change your mind) etc.

If anything, I'd say I'm happy to see more AA titles release regardless of 3rd person or first person as I think its healthy for the industry. Stuff like this, Outer Worlds, Control etc I think are good as they are break from the massive AAA titles where companies feel they need to move 50 million units to break even or something lol

EDMIX

The reason Sega wouldn't fund Platinum? Sega dissolved almost all of their big productions at the time and Platinum was just one of many victims.

? Sega also bought Atlus and Relic at that time too... So...they had the money. The point is simply that not all publishers are likely open to working with them like Nintendo. Sega and MS might run a very tight ship as to why they were willing to cancel games or not continue funding or something like that. With Nintendo, they've had many great titles and some misses, but good enough for Nintendo to be ok with the risk. Nothing is wrong with that, but the point is simply that such a thing clearly could't be the case for all that partnered with the team. So I still like the team, but I feel where there is smoke, there is fire. I still believe they need to slow down on those contracts and if they are as amazing as the are with this game or Nier etc, who knows how much more amazing they can be actually JUST focusing on 2 or 3 projects vs 7 or 8.

So something made Sega say they are not going to fund that team anymore and pass it on to Nintendo as clearly Sega wanted the IP to continue, they simply didn't want to publish, fund etc So its not like they don't want the money or don't want the IP or anything like that....leaves it to the team

highrider

Banned
As a big fan of 3rd person action myself, I can't say we really lacked any 3rd person action titles in the last 2 gens tbh. Unless you mean some other sub genre, we got lots and lots of 3rd person action titles and I'd argue those that made 3rd person titles in the past, still make them today if they exist as studios still......like most of them. If anything ,what titles came during PS2 that are in that genre that don't exist today or don't have a replacement etc?

Some of my favorite titles this gen are 3rd person like Horizon, Nier, DMC5, Bloodborne, Hitman 1 and 2, Metal Gear Solid 5, RE2, Red Dead, Yakuza, Days Gone, Gravity Rush etc and thats just a few. So I like the genre, but can't say we are lacking in it and many of the series I like during PS2 that were 3rd person ironically I still play those sequels lolz

Short list of my favorite PS2 gen 3rd person action titles,

Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3
GTAVC and SA
Ico
DMC3
Onimusha
Resident Evil 4 and Outbreak, 2002 remake, Zero
Max Payne 1 and 2

Consider we still got titles from all the teams I stated this gen and even last that are in 3rd person even if the IPs don't exist anymore. So I don't know if I can go as far as to say we are lacking in any compared to other gens and I don't know if I can say its bringing in any new fans...

If you hate 3rd person, this does nothing to suddenly make you like it lol If someone hates that, they hate the perspective, so I don't see any game making them suddenly have a change of heart and buy other 3rd person titles as it becomes a moot point, ie I hate First Person Shooters (Well hopefully Call Of Duty 27th will change your mind) etc.

If anything, I'd say I'm happy to see more AA titles release regardless of 3rd person or first person as I think its healthy for the industry. Stuff like this, Outer Worlds, Control etc I think are good as they are break from the massive AAA titles where companies feel they need to move 50 million units to break even or something lol

I guess we have a slightly different idea of the genre, and to be fair I wasn’t really specific. I don’t really view DMC in the same class with MGS or Horizon. DMC or Ninja Gaiden, or even the original God of War are the more specific kind of hack/slash other weapons but the focus was on stylish combat for points and goofy storylines generally lol. But they’re not the standard over the shoulder third person which I like but like the other style as well.

And I do think that specific genre has lost popularity as they aren’t as approachable and can be difficult. Something like DMC has enough long term fans to sell some copies but a new IP in that style, particularly one with this level of production value is very encouraging to me, because it’s a tough sell. When I bought Astral Chain at Best Buy there were a lot of copies on the shelf.

Top Bottom