• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metacritic has pledged to introduce stricter moderation after “abusive and disrespectful" Horizon: Forbidden West DLC review bombing this weekend.

There's freedom and thought, then there's being downright abusive and nasty. Should people be allowed to be racist on twitter because its "freedom of speech and thought"? Fuck that! We need balance. There should be consequences, just like how if you behaved in such a way in the real world, you would get knocked the fuck out or even killed in the worst case.
The difference being, assaulting or killing someone in response to speech is illegal. Shitposting online shouldnt warrant that type of reaction either. Just disregard it as some anonymous asshole. People being nasty? On the internet???

Doczu

Honestly i trust steam reviews (great for multiplatform games bar performance/graphics), a handful of youtubers that don't suck corporate dick and ass, gaffers and my bro's.

You don't need anything else, journo's are not trustworthy in my book

Got it. I didn't pick up on the sarcasm, so sorry about that.

I've seen a bunch of forums ruined by people who think they have some inherent right to say whatever they want wherever they want and that any sort of effort to curb their shitposting is an attack on free speech. They don't seem to understand that a forum offered by some company isn't violating their constitutional rights if the forum tells them to shut up and piss off.
Theres a huge grey area, for sure. I don't have the solution, but i am sure its not group punishment for the actions of a few

Reactions: Fuz

Fools idol

Banned
Well i was just using the same logic against you "I don't know what should be so off-putting about two people being in love".

Why, what's wrong it's love? love can come in all types and shapes, who gave you or anyone else the morally high ground to tell people they can't choose who they love? they can't help it... it's only right.

Be prepared loverboy soon you gona have to accept all types of love or be an outcast :messenger_winking_tongue:

since when does being in a same sex relationship equal being a pedo? what planet do you live on?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm for removing user reviews so long as they continue not even trying to validate if a person has purchased a product, played a game, or seen a movie.

I think review bombing is pretty sad, doubly so when done sight unseen. I suppose psychologically it gives people a dose of dopamine if they're so inclined to that kind of childish behavior.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
User reviews have their place but it can be made more effective by weeding out the idiots. Remove the ones who don’t use spellcheck, remove stub reviews that are a few words or a single sentence, and remove the reviews with slurs or other derogatory language. The politically charged ones may have merit so you can’t inherently remove those but anyone not willing to write a thoughtful review related to it doesn’t deserve their review posted, which is about 99% of these “Horizon is the Gay!!!” reviews.

User verification is also essential to deal with bots, especially since AI bots will only increase in sophistication. If all anyone does is post reviews from a singular politically charged narrative, then remove them as outliers because the fringe will mess with any user ranking. This as true of Feminist Frequency or Tucker Carlson.

Some people will scream fascism, even in this thread, but the reality is that they’re losers who don’t matter in any way. While there is a real issue in forced political narratives mucking up the overall story, these rational points are always mucked up by people on the low end of the IQ scale trying to find an outlet to bully others and distract from their state of being losers.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
if free speech is so damn important why don't more of you guys browse 4chan instead of Neogaf? why go to a site that has restrictions on what you're allowed to say when you can go to a site where you can say and do whatever you want?

if free speech is so damn important why don't more of you guys browse 4chan instead of Neogaf? why go to a site that has restrictions on what you're allowed to say when you can go to a site where you can say and do whatever you want?
We're talking about removing user scores from an open review site. Right?

NoobSmog

People equating fixing metacritic user reviews to censorship are fucking retarded. They need to be fixed or removed because they are absolutely worthless at this point. You used to be able to look at critic reviews and user reviews and they would balance each other out; you could generally tell if a game might be worth playing. The only user reviews that matter anymore are on Steam.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I personally have never submitted user scores but i like talking about the big picture. And the vast difference in opinions about it. I dont see why we need to start outcasting anyone
The people here who think that it should stay the way it is because of freedom of speech are blocking what could be real change, and it doesn't even involve changing what people say as much as it is.... just restricting what people are allowed to talk

Retards who are console warring and have not spent a single hour on the game they are trying to review should naturally get blocked from reviewing any specific game. that's it. nothing more than that. If possible display their playtime next to the review so people can see if they are trustworthy or not.

Boom you've fixed the entire metacritic user rating system without dumbing it down to a like or dislike, or removing it entirely

Last edited:
The people here who think that it should stay the way it is because of freedom of speech are blocking what could be real change, and it doesn't even involve changing what people say as much as it is.... just restricting what people are allowed to talk

Retards who are console warring and have not spent a single hour on the game they are trying to review should naturally get blocked from reviewing any specific game. that's it. nothing more than that.
Like someone mentioned, the AI botting is a major concern as well. Like either one of us could be AI at this point. Why was i programmed to shitpost??

Aenima

So just because someone is saying their genuine opinion they call it abusive and disrespectful? So gay characters are immune to criticism? Yes it was stupidly forced and if someone called it in their review and gave it a 1 it is not any less credible than “omg gay character 10/10 planet gay” It might shock some of you but there is a world outside the west with different opinions and views. Their views are not any less than your average MERICA GAP.
LOL, imagine thinking Metacritic user reviews are "Genuine opinion" (here is your tipical genuine opinion from MC Users) and calling forced, when the player has the option to follow or not follow the romance path.
Being homophobic, racist, etc is against metacritic TOS, they only making more strict moderation regarding that.

If you dont want the "professional" critics to go political and review bomb games like Hogwarts, you should also not be cool with user going political to review bomb a game. Especially when most of them are just trolls that dont even played the game.

Last edited:

Doczu

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Seriously, i browse and post on both. I'm civil on GAF, but sometimes i feel the need to vent so 4chan it is where i don't have to be polite. It helps me to cope with my stress and i don't feel as a bad person for doing so🤷🏻‍♂️

Teletraan1

Banned
Just take out the 10s and 0s and you have a good idea of what a game is like by user score. It is the extremists that positively and negatively review bomb products based on nonsense that skews things. There is no need to moderate anything because it will only go one way ideologically. Heaven forbid someone doesn't consoooom or make informed decisions.

Just take out the 10s and 0s and you have a good idea of what a game is like by user score. It is the extremists that positively and negatively review bomb products based on nonsense that skews things. There is no need to moderate anything because it will only go one way ideologically. Heaven forbid someone doesn't consoooom or make informed decisions.
Not a bad idea. Add a filter option "hide extremist views" lol

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Seriously, i browse and post on both. I'm civil on GAF, but sometimes i feel the need to vent so 4chan it is where i don't have to be polite. It helps me to cope with my stress and i don't feel as a bad person for doing so🤷🏻‍♂️
least you do it, lol

I can't imagine really staying there for long, with all the gore pictures and slurs. GAF is more sanitised at the end of the day to the point where i don't really have to see that content

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
To all the people asking "why now?" and "why not when Bayonetta came out?" and "the agenda!". It's simple. Sony made a call. Sony has weight it can throw around.

Also, MC doesn't want this to continue. It fucks up their brand. Why would anyone trust an aggregator that is filled with obviously fucked data?

There's no secret agenda here. This shit was approaching a tipping point already, and Sony put its thumb on the scale. How they're going to fix this I have no clue, but they can't just do nothing.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
you can have an opinion so long as you've actually engaged with the media for a decent amount of time to form a conclusion on it. Not when you haven't touched it at all and are livid because it wasn't on your gaming box of choice

And who decides that? You? Arbitrary metrics made by others? A corporation?

Easy to dismiss any criticism by claiming people haven't played the game or that they are just bigotted/hateful.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
And who decides that? You? Arbitrary metrics made by others? A corporation?

Easy to dismiss any criticism by claiming people haven't played the game or that they are just bigotted/hateful.

It's pretty obvious to tell a review from someone who's played the game and someone who hasn't. a person who hasn't played the game can't deliver any useful criticism other than "ITS NOT ON PLAYSTATION SO 0/10, TYPICAL GAMEPASS FAILURE"

Again look towards steam reviews to see how it's done. Toxicity is a near 0 there because of the requirements to make a review. no moderation or censorship needed.

It's pretty obvious to tell a review from someone who's played the game and someone who hasn't. a person who hasn't played the game can't deliver any useful criticism other than "ITS NOT ON PLAYSTATION SO 0/10, TYPICAL GAMEPASS FAILURE"

Again look towards steam reviews to see how it's done. Toxicity is a near 0 there because of the requirements to make a review. no moderation or censorship needed.
I say thats tricky because you cant necessarily prove whether someone has played or not. Its up to the service to have its regulations obviously. But maybe the reviewer played a friends copy, etc. And what if the reviewer has not COMPLETED the game? Their opinion doesnt count! Steam has their reliable system, metacritic can have their chaotic, less regimented system where you can have a broader sense of the populace's reactions

Astral Dog

There were a bunch of stupid, vile articles from the 'press' claiming the game/character was homophobic because XYandZ, also they suddendly "sided"on the Helena Taylor boycott note all of these was after it was clarified (as they could)and Jennifer Hale put her reputation on the line,a few examples are on Wikipedia

The user review bombing was like always happens when a core exclusive releases, started with tons of 0s and 1s on day one then moved the average.but at least this is common,happened with Astral Chain and Fire Emblem as well, and countless other games on all platforms

Anyways i think its silly to complain(like really complaining) that Aloy is 'lesbian' on an optional event (as dumb as shitting on Bayo for being a mom) ,she had as much personality as a brick, so bland so whatever.they are wasting their time imo

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I say thats tricky because you cant necessarily prove whether someone has played or not.
but you can! it's as simple as displaying the hours of playtime next to the post like what steam does. you can verify that someone's played the game because it literally shows you how long they've been playing it's simple as.

all you have to do is connect your console or steam account and then you're open to review the games YOU HAVE PLAYED. not to mention that the friend's copy thing is solved since achievements are still stored for games which you own on physical.

kingyala

Banned
How is fixing a broken thing fascism?
what they are doing is, ask you for your opininion with a gun pointed on your cranium and you better give them an opinion they like, if not then your dead... it reminds me of when i used to get a whoopin from my mum and was threatend to get whooped some more if i didnt stop crying, its a form of mental or psychological torture to force people into accepting fascism, the more we tolerate this stuff the more we give our freedoms away.. they are now just touching our asse's and in a few years before you know it wed have all been bent over and discombobulated.

but you can! it's as simple as displaying the hours of playtime next to the post like what steam does. you can verify that someone's played the game because it literally shows you how long they've been playing it's simple as.

all you have to do is connect your console or steam account and then you're open to review the games YOU HAVE PLAYED. not to mention that the friend's copy thing is solved since achievements are still stored for games which you own on physical.
Sure you can have your elite players only review system. Hell, charge members a premium for it. Why cant there be a less regulated one? Seems like a hassle to have that standard across the board.
Might as well prohibition me from posting here because i dont use metacritic nor steam.

Nydius

Now people are review bombing the DLC over Metacritic's plans to stop review bombing. :LOL:

Couldn't even take the time to spell check "propaganda".

I'm starting to side with the people who are arguing to delete Metacritic entirely.

N0Z5yzO.jpg

Cyberpunkd

you can have an opinion so long as you've actually engaged with the media for a decent amount of time to form a conclusion on it. Not when you haven't touched it at all and are livid because it wasn't on your gaming box of choice
Does the homosexual relationship that people are protesting about change the more you play the game?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Might as well prohibition me from posting here because i dont use metacritic nor steam.
CONSOLE and Steam accounts. you can even use a Playstation account if you like..... as long as you are an actual gamer who plays video games and has an account to back that up you should be eligble to post a review

I want a more restricted review system because it's proven to work better and generate more interesting and helpful reviews. if you want a general public response you're right here on NeoGAF. There's also youtube comments and Twitter. They aren't review sites, they're fully opinion based. You're meant to share your opinion on those.

On a site where i'm looking for helpful reviews, where the user and critic review score can literally sway the opinion of major publishers and the general presson if a game's good or not... yeah more restrictions need to be in place

Does the homosexual relationship that people are protesting about change the more you play the game?
i don't know why don't you play it for yourself? :messenger_tongue:

Gambit2483

Kotaku, Waypoint, Polygon, and many others would beg to differ. Or are you going to move goalposts yet again?

Those are progressive sites (not sure about Waypoint) with progressive agendas yes, but show me a review where they state they actually base the games review score on race, gender or sex (and not as a political stunt like that one site)

Top Bottom