• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 1 is getting review bombed by Russian gamers for blocking online functions

Eimran

Gamers from Russia and Belarus are review bombing Mortal Kombat 1 because they disabled the online functionalities for the game in said countries.

The boycot is a result of the invasion of Ukraine which prevents the players to play online matches or download the pre-order DLC.

The online functions were however available during the stress test, given the Russian gamers who played it then the impression that they could play online and access their DLC.

It seems though they bought the game via a service set in another country and hence thought they would be able to play online. So I think it has more to do about EU regulations but I'm not sure.

Currently the metacritic score is around 5,4 where 45% of the reviewers have given it a negative rating.

Links:
Metacritic
Source

Last edited:

ssringo

family guy bruce GIF

Eimran

Why do we care what gamers from Russia think again? The game is solid.

It's not that they chose to invade Ukraine. Doing this hurts only the players who are citizens like you and I. This doesn't affect Putin in any way.

Russians up to some invasive shit again.

When will they learn?

If true that they could use the online functions during the stress test it's a shitty move towards them. These are just gamers like us. It's not that all the Russians are pro war.

xrnzaaas

I'm sorry about Russian people...
Because of the war, people always starts to suffer, more than politicians...
Politicians starts the war and poor people dies...
Don't want to start political discussions here, but you should check how many russians actually support the war and russia's imperialistic dreams.

HighPoly

Banned
Don't want to start political discussions here, but you should check how many russians actually support the war and russia's imperialistic dreams.
Come on man, Putin had to recruit prisoners to the war...
Don't believe in what the media machine says..
I'm not advocating Russia or Putin. I know this war is a disaster.
But I mean that no matter where is the reason, right or motivation, the last thing is ''people suffer the consequences''!
You and me... Politicians and dictators don't give a damn about us...

Last edited:

NEbeast

It's not that they chose to invade Ukraine. Doing this hurts only the players who are citizens like you and I. This doesn't affect Putin in any way.

If true that they could use the online functions during the stress test it's a shitty move towards them. These are just gamers like us. It's not that all the Russians are pro war.
The thing is most Russians are pro war. Fuck them.

EdFig81

Neo Member
smh... If they bought the game as stated in original post via a service set in another country (see below quote).

"It seems though they bought the game via a service set in another country and hence thought they would be able to play online. So I think it has more to do about EU regulations but I'm not sure."

I don't feel that bad for them. Reason is when you get a game / import you generally may not have all the features you have if the game was released in your region. While it sucks they were able to play the stress test, that didn't have all the features activated for online and more then likely is why they were able to play.

They more then likely bought the game via importing it to get the game due to sanctions as they can't get it in their own country (PS5 store, xbox or steam). Sadly while its fucked up its not NRS fault.

I would blame the "service" that provided them the game for not informing them and they should offer refunds to the people in Russia that bought the game. If the game showed it was region locked for multi player then sadly its not the "service" fault either.

They can use a VPN maybe to connect to another country. Fucked up but sad.

In addition as a MK11 PC player in the US connecting to them always gave me lag and broke the King of the hill rooms (so yeah i hated the lag)

Last edited:
Top Bottom