• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At this point Xbox Series X games better blow everyone's minds!

Tulipanzo

I also believe the last of us 3 could have been better if they didn’t reanimate Joel’s body to use as a sexy toy.
Halo Infinite is a game that has already been shown twice, with plenty of threads on this very forum about whether it looked sufficiently next-gen.
Supporting 5 different SKUs by launch is going to cost, and that money and time could have been better allocated.
I fully believe whatever Halo sequel exclusive to XSX is going to look miles better, not having to deal with 7 year old underpowered CPUs.

Anyway, stay mad about Joel I guess

martino

Did Halo 5 have bad press? I know most don't like it much now, but it seemed pretty hyped.
Still, Infinite should do well, I just don't believe we'll get any solid numbers from MS.
i mean 84 for a banner license with 6.5 user score is not what i call good press
they need to reach 90 territory to get that aura.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Halo Infinite is a game that has already been shown twice, with plenty of threads on this very forum about whether it looked sufficiently next-gen.
Supporting 5 different SKUs by launch is going to cost, and that money and time could have been better allocated.
I fully believe whatever Halo sequel exclusive to XSX is going to look miles better, not having to deal with 7 year old underpowered CPUs.

Anyway, stay mad about Joel I guess

Guess which way if the needle you sound in this thread? Blue or green? Guess how you’re coming across?

Thirty7ven

Banned
People expecting a major leap in graphics from a game that showed its cutscene graphics 12 months ago are weird.

The good thing is it will be 60 FPS game, and the pressure is on to deliver an amazing game so I expect 343i to finally come through.

Tulipanzo

i mean 84 for a banner license with 6.5 user score is not what i call good press
they need to reach 90 territory to get that aura.
Ah, gotcha, I thought you meant press before release. It didn't do that hot in user reviews, press liked it well enough.

My issue is Halo is a bit insular now, and their marketing should focus less on lore and more on what makes this one cool.
I know the much more compelling backstory, but the teaser just sounds like "bad alien is coming" to newcomers, which is a bit done.

Tulipanzo

Guess which way if the needle you sound in this thread? Blue or green? Guess how you’re coming across?
I got an OG X1 buddy, sorry I'm not a fan of them forcing devs to develop for 7 years old hardware.

I mentioned, but believing anyone you disagree with to be in cahoots to undermine your box is very unhealthy.

martino

Ah, gotcha, I thought you meant press before release. It didn't do that hot in user reviews, press liked it well enough.

My issue is Halo is a bit insular now, and their marketing should focus less on lore and more on what makes this one cool.
I know the much more compelling backstory, but the teaser just sounds like "bad alien is coming" to newcomers, which is a bit done.
it's funny because I thought of destiny with your example

Horizon 2 & Spiderman for example ?

Tulipanzo

it's funny because I thought of destiny with your example
Exactly, so I feel Halo marketing should focus more on what makes Halo unique.

Horizon 2 & Spiderman for example ?
Yeah, those game franchises are much newer, and their marketing has focused on the cool new things you'll be doing.
Infinite's last trailer was just "more aliens Chief needs to kill", with an underlying theme of "Master Chief is back!" when really, he has never not been a huge part of MS marketing, so it kind of falls flat on a meta level.

SaucyJack

So, Xbox games do not need to blow people minds for it to be successful, people are setting all sorts of unreasonable expectations.

First one is that Xbox can “win” the next generation. It almost certainly can’t, it never has and it's miles behind. But so what? Does it really need to win to be successful? Being profitable and increasing Their market share should be the objectives. They should do this by staying the course with their first party and trying to be innovative like they last were with Xbox Live.

Second unrealistic expectations is that Xbox will have a whole load of top quality AAA games in its early life. We can safely predict that it won’t. A lot of what they’ll show will be more than a year out. Anything bIG and new is probably 2 or more years in the case of some projects.

Get over the need for your team to win (you don’t benefit from it anyway) and assess what they show for what it is. And if you like it buy.

Yeah, those game franchises are much newer, and their marketing has focused on the cool new things you'll be doing.
Infinite's last trailer was just "more aliens Chief needs to kill", with an underlying theme of "Master Chief is back!" when really, he has never not been a huge part of MS marketing, so it kind of falls flat on a meta level.

Funny how Horizon 2 teaser just sounds like "bad alien is coming" to newcomers, which is a bit done.
And Spider Man...
And most games... it's always the bad guy / organisation is coming and you need to defeat him/it.
Be objective and stop being a fan.

Tulipanzo

Funny how Horizon 2 teaser just sounds like "bad alien is coming" to newcomers, which is a bit done.
And Spider Man...
And most games... it's always the bad guy / organisation is coming and you need to defeat him/it.
Be objective and stop being a fan.

Horizon 2 has no aliens afaik; the announcement trailer focused on showcasing new enemy types, moving through many locales, and getting players up to speed on the story.
Miles Morales showcased some fun combat and traversal, plus a fan favorite protagonist.

By contrast, Halo showed some scenery with animals (which I'm guessing won't be major players in this FPS), the second Master Chief ready to kill more aliens, and the teaser is an angry alien (who irl has a really cool backstory). It is painfully generic.

I'm just saying, if you weren't already excited for Halo, these trailers do very little, even when the source material should allow for far better, which is why I don't get why you're so bitter about this.

pasterpl

I'm operating based on how the overwhelmingly majority of cross-gen projects turn out: either very unambitious, or with embarrassing last-gen ports.
Given the major technological jump, and MS's own poor efforts in supporting the OG, I wouldn't play it on anything but Series X.

you are forgetting that ms already is developing all of their games for pc, shit loads of the pc configurations are taken into consideration already. It doesn’t seem massively challenging to add load screens to the old gen version if you‘ve planned to release cross gen from the very beginning of the dev process (just to be clear, this is made up example). in addition, when you think about it, the smart delivery makes more sense, and might explain why ms is featuring it so much.

tryDEATH

Well we know Xbox isn't going with $40 reskins and DLC's as launch titles, so it already has a gigantic advantage, because you are getting a legitimate next generation game in Halo.

But they seem to be pressing all the right buttons and are getting plenty of attention with their statements, something you wouldn't do if you weren't confident in your product, so this is a great sign and as we can see even PS fans are very excited, thrilled, and interested to see what Xbox has to offer as we always get plenty threads about it and they are very active in them.

Can't wait to see PS fans turn into new Xbox brethren soon. Everyone just needs to enjoy the ride.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Is that supposed to be impressive for a next gen game??

This is spiderman on ps4

fjLPUpi.png

30643707928_b2d90292c5_o.png

screen_shot_2465.jpg

marvels-spider-man-dlc-3-screen-02-ps4-us-11dec18

You really choose the game who look like a ps4 game with a ps5 patch...

That’s fair but the comparison that was made was Halo vs Spider-Man not Spider-Man vs Spider-Man.

Either way we shall see in July.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
But yet you liked this post from earlier in the thread:

So which one is it?
i said no one wants cinematic trailers ANYMORE. the hellblade 2 teaser was literally six months ago and our first taste of next gen. Six months later, i expected sony to deliver some actual gameplay. And like I said, i am expecting gameplay from MS too.

Me liking a post that says the graphics of hellblade 2 are the best has nothing to do with wanting them to show gameplay. Sony showed cinematic trailers that looked worse than the cinematic trailer shown by Ninja Theory. That's what I was pressing like to.
Your expectations are too high. Those features will only be there if the game calls for it.
Nah, every game needs to have that level of environmental interactivity. We have literally been playing the same damn games for 15 years. its time to move forward now that we finally have a massive jump in cpu. i am not saying they need to start adding realistic enemy A.I into games that have no enemies. I am not saying that walking simulators all of a sudden now need realistic friendly NPCs. I am mostly talking about AAA games like TLOU2, Red Dead, RE3, Doom Eternal, Ghost of Tshushima and Gears 5. In those games, you shoot everything. I want everything to be destructible. Black on PS2 tried to do this. TLOU2's e3 demo had some of this. This needs to become standard in games going forward.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That's what Horizon II looked like to you?
Yep. Especially after playing the last of us 2.

Of course, thats just based on the cinematic trailer they showed off. if they come up with gameplay that showcases fantastic destruction, environmental interaction, realistic wildlife eco systems and massive battles with A.I and NPCs then I will ok with a somewhat next gen leap than what I was expecting. But only if we get fully lived in and interactive worlds. If its just more of the same then im gonna have to find a new hobby because i cant play one more gen with prettier graphics and static worlds.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Show some Halo and Hellblade and Xbox wons. If people still say that Sony did better because of more games, they're just acting dumb

Also, if some game of past gen is going to launch it too, do a short montage of all of those, not like five minutes of GTA V at the start of a fucking next gen console

the_master

Bad aliens the MC has to kill is all I need as an excuse to play a great Halo game. I hope they focus on the gameplay, the enemies, the scale and the level design. Then the game can go back to the 90+ Metacritic.

I want the new Halo to be
Fun,
Addictive
Impressive
Challenging
Immersive

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
The audience who closely scrutinizes every small graphical feature and frame drop are also the same audience who pays attention to what Phil or Cerny says. The "average gamer" won't know and won't care. They'll just hear through the grapevine which system is supposedly more powerful and then continue playing FIFA.
I was thinking this as well when I wrote the original bit. Those people will almost certainly be affected by what they already have and what their friends get. There is probably a middle grouping of gamers who follow some drama that may be impacted though.

If you took the 'average consumer' and showed tham an Xbox One game, then walked them into the next room and showed them the same game on PS4, they would be hard pressed to tell the difference. The PS4 was more powerful (and cheaper, another other main factor) and was marketed as such, would you say that Sony experienced 'blow-back' as a result?

I think not.
I don't remember Sony messaging the power difference heavily. They did focus on the aspects people reacted negatively to at the time. DRM, camera required, always online, etc. So I don't know what blowback Sony would have received...

Is the OP filling in for Vawn with this thread?
I check these forums regularly, but I have no idea who or what you mean.

I like how Sony fans keep posting PS pictures in a Xbox thread. Don't worry guys, no matter what Microsoft is going to show or do, i'm 100% sure you will be completely disappointed by it.
Yeah, people like that on both sides.

Ratchet looked a little better than black spiderman matter...
Yeah horizon 2 is a better example than ghetto spiderman.
That isn't funny, you should cut that shit out.

Jtibh

Banned
How you not gonna platinum it tho i wish I had that self control to leave a easy ass game like that on 90%
Cuz i would have to start from the beginning and this games was soo boring i just couldnt do it.
Its a one shot game. I thought it will let me go back to certain levels but no.

Cuz i would have to start from the beginning and this games was soo boring i just couldnt do it.
Its a one shot game. I thought it will let me go back to certain levels but no.

This i do remember and one of the soul reasons I don't understand the hype for part 2 yes the game was beautiful but thats about it the "fighting" was very boring and the story just didn't click for me.

GODbody

Here:

Hellblade 2 CGI, in-engine, prerendered trailer made on anonymous hardware:

Senuas-Saga-Hellblade-2-Wallpaper-3840x2160-3-2048x1152.jpg

Horizon Forbidden West running in real-time on PS5

49995809658_9e3764c4b3_o.png

I'm sure if this was real-time it would have been plastered all over the video at some point. It's likely an 'In-engine' trailer running on a PS5 dev kit. It even has the same opening of the hellblade 2 trailer. I'm highly doubtful that any of these scenes will end up in the final game. In the end it does not matter what hardware this is running on as long as it represents the final game which MS has confirmed that the Hellblade 'In-engine' trailer is representative of the final game.

Muay Ninja

Too much talk that needs games to back it up. PS5 still showing much better graphics so far, even for cross-gen 3rd party.

It's unlikely Xbox graphics will be worse for this party.. The differences between the two will be mainly loading speeds, resolution & framerates most likely.

Jtibh

Banned
This i do remember and one of the soul reasons I don't understand the hype for part 2 yes the game was beautiful but thats about it the "fighting" was very boring and the story just didn't click for me.
There were some good scenes in it that i liked but yeah the game was a one and done game.
I platinumed plagues tale and thats the game that could be compared to this one.
And that game was fun. Even if i had to redo some levels to get the plat it was a good game and i didnt mind. Good story good gameplay and visuals above and beyond of hellblade. And by the way its on xbox as well so i really dont understand the hype for hellblade.

The only reason they hail this game is that the sequel is exclusive to xbox. And pc .

Most of them never even played it and i remember clearly how back then when it was only on pc and ps4 they just talked down on it saying its just another walking sim .
And they were right cuz thats what it was. But now its the second coming of christ and the bar for next gen gaming.

Here:

Ehh... it was confirmed that Hellblade II was running in-engine and real time on the Xbox Series X and that it uses Unreal engine 5.

Please stop making up lies my dude.

Neither trailers showed ingame HUDs. But wait if its PS5 Horizon 2 it gets a pass...

I hate console wars and people pretending like one console is 100x times worse than the other. It's such a joke.

Last edited:

Romulus

Xbox does have a lot riding on this. Just some of Sonys install base alone on ps4 upgrading to ps5 is a frightening concept for upper management at xbox. I don't even think Sony has to outshine xbox either, just get close in that first year of games until the really big AAA heavy hitters start to show up.

Last edited:
I'll be Day 1 but I don't need the first few offerings to blow my mind. I just want to see what they're up to with Hellblade, Fable, Forza and of course some of the exclusives they been working on.

I can chew on Halo, Bleeding Edge, Everwild and Cyberpunk, AC Valhalla and Mass Effect remaster while I wait for those.

I know there is some effort being put in the optimized for Series X versions of titles. And playing some older favorites at the top of their performance levels should be a fresh experience.
I agree, I hope Hellblade II is a ways out and some of the other game excluding Halo so they can cook a bit longer and theres so much gaming content out there I don't need a ton of new exclusives right now.

I still dont understand how anyone got hyped up by that. Other than spiderman, there was nothing there that got me excited.

To be quite frank the most exciting thing for me was Ratchet and Clank, Demons Souls and my #1 Resident Evil 8 but that's a third party game lol.

Horizon is nice and looks good but the first game had boring gameplay and a none interesting story. The universe was cool and that's it. I also 100% gotten all the trophies including DLC but it's a 7/10 game for me at best.

My favorite PS4 titles are TLOU 2, Bloodborne and GoW in no particular order.

Sacred

The word Salt is often used as colloquial terms used to describe the feeling of disgruntlement. Everything I posted was factual. For instance Gears Tactics performance on steam

xYr1XD9.jpg

Que the "It was made by the L/M/N/O/P team on a budget of $0.57 max"

Nothing you posted was factual, it's all conjecture. I mean your tagline speaks volumes about your character, so since you can't give an unbiased opinion then we can't take anything you post seriously.

Those are photo mode shots. Post processing adds a lot. Not a good comparison at all.

I am not even understanding why they are comparing a Spider Man game that's not even full fledged game that's been confirmed to be on the levels of Lost Legacy in terms of content and size budget versus a juggernaut like Halo Infinite thats insanely high budget (probably most high budget game to be ever made) .

One is a comic superhero game and the other is a beloved former FPS king that made Xbox back in the day to what Xbox used to stand for. God people are dumb.

Last edited:

LocoCocoPops

Neo Member
Hope they have a bunch of reveals. How crazy would it be if they announced a bunch of 1st party games are day one on gamepass.

Isn’t that the case anyways all 1st party games go straight onto game pass? Be interesting to see if they bring gears tactics to console

sircaw

Banned
Bad aliens the MC has to kill is all I need as an excuse to play a great Halo game. I hope they focus on the gameplay, the enemies, the scale and the level design. Then the game can go back to the 90+ Metacritic.

I want the new Halo to be
Fun,
Addictive
Impressive
Challenging
Immersive

Sounds like you have borrowed my mums Candy crush saga account.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
even if they dont do well with their exclusives there is no denying the power this console has. it will wipe the floor with PS5 with its faster CPU + RAM. the clocks on the GPU are slightly slower but it has more CU's.

i can't wait to play Cyberpunk on the XSX. playing it on PS5 will probably mean less stable framerate and lower resolution. if you don't have a PC and want to play that game with the best possible graphics/performance then XSX is really the only option.

games are gonna run better on XSX no doubt about it. forget the magical SSD in the PS4. that's not gonna matter much in multi platform games.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Ehh... it was confirmed that Hellblade II was running in-engine and real time on the Xbox Series X and that it uses Unreal engine 5.

Please stop making up lies my dude.

Neither trailers showed ingame HUDs. But wait if its PS5 Horizon 2 it gets a pass...

I hate console wars and people pretending like one console is 100x times worse than the other. It's such a joke.
(I'm Trying really hard to not make an SSD joke)

Both of those look fantastic. Why can't we be happy with that alone?

HarryKS

Here:

Neither of those are real time. There's just too much happening on the screen to make sense from a logistics point of view.
The Senhua one is even less believable.

Top Bottom