• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At this point Xbox Series X games better blow everyone's minds!

Xplainin

Banned
Im going to be honest, it's not going to be that hard for MS to outshine Sony's event.
Sony really only had three or four games that stood out.
GT, Spiderman, R&C and Horizon.
Is it really going to be that hard to top?
I fully expect to see the following.

Halo Infinite. Sony didn't show an exclusive shooter, and they really don't have an equivalent other than Killzone which they appear to have shelved.
I expect to see gameplay, and its going to be closer to the original three games.

Forza 8. Should be 4k60, fully Ray traced and I think it will blow GT out of the water visually. I liked the GT reveal, but I didnt see how Forza couldnt look alot better.

More Hellblade 2, which is a good thing. Visually the best thing either console has shown so far.

Fable. MS is owning the RPG space it appears, and PG are one of the best developers on the planet, with a ton of talent and MS money to invest further with.

Perfect Dark. MS will show the Inititives game I have no doubt. This should be a big deal considering the resources and people working for them now.

So on top of that we have at least 2 or 3 other first party studios that will show their up coming games, and then what ever third party games they are adding to their show.

If That happens, I think MS take it easily.

And if MS announce some more new studios like Bloober Team or The Farm 51, shut the gate.

Last edited:

Neolombax

At this point I want to be blown away by this xbox reveal. Kinda disappointed with ps5, the leap isnt as amazing as i hoped it would be. But it has games i care about. So theres that.

sainraja

Being able to 'see it' is a line that will be defended purely according to current allegiances.

If you took the 'average consumer' and showed tham an Xbox One game, then walked them into the next room and showed them the same game on PS4, they would be hard pressed to tell the difference. The PS4 was more powerful (and cheaper, another other main factor) and was marketed as such, would you say that Sony experienced 'blow-back' as a result?

I think not.

MS will be able to market the advantage in power continuously throughout this gen. If you are genuinely not committed to a purchase of a particular brand, then that messaging is a key marketing tool even if the differences aren't massive.

PS1 wasn't successful because it was the more powerful console. PS2 wasn't successful because it was the more powerful console. Power isn't a huge advantage. If Microsoft is able to turn things around it won't be because of having the power advantage it would be because of content.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I think Microsoft's focus on raw "power" is specifically targeting all of the customers they lost (short term or long term) at the advent of this generation because it came to light, even to non-tech minded people, that the PS4 was appreciably more powerful while being cheaper.

As for exclusives, I am hoping for the best, but I don't have much confidence in Microsoft on that front. They had a long time to catch up to Sony in that department and here we are, in the waning days of the generation, and Sony is still dropping exclusive gem after gem while Microsoft is focusing on Game Pass (I love Game Pass, just saying, it isn't helping their exclusive output).

Redlight

PS1 wasn't successful because it was the more powerful console. PS2 wasn't successful because it was the more powerful console. Power isn't a huge advantage. If Microsoft is able to turn things around it won't be because of having the power advantage it would be because of content.
You're quoting me out of context. The premise was that Xbox would experience a blow-back if the power difference wasn't clear and obvious to the average consumer. I don't think that's true.

That said, being most powerful is not, in any way, a disadvantage. They will not lose a single sale because they are more powerful. They will use that fact in their marketing throughout the generation. They'd be mad not to.

Tulipanzo

Especially when we're talking a top 15% power gap, which might be harder to actualize than on paper due to slower CUs.

If I were MS, I would have gone all in on very impressive tech in their line-up, since their marketing is so reliant on POWER, but instead that's what Sony did. Tbh, I thought things would play out the opposite.

Tulipanzo

Im going to be honest, it's not going to be that hard for MS to outshine Sony's event.

Halo Infinite. Sony didn't show an exclusive shooter, and they really don't have an equivalent other than Killzone which they appear to have shelved.
I expect to see gameplay, and its going to be closer to the original three games.

Forza 8. Should be 4k60, fully Ray traced and I think it will blow GT out of the water visually. I liked the GT reveal, but I didnt see how Forza couldnt look alot better.

More Hellblade 2, which is a good thing. Visually the best thing either console has shown so far.

Fable. MS is owning the RPG space it appears, and PG are one of the best developers on the planet, with a ton of talent and MS money to invest further with.

Perfect Dark. MS will show the Inititives game I have no doubt. This should be a big deal considering the resources and people working for them now.

So on top of that we have at least 2 or 3 other first party studios that will show their up coming games, and then what ever third party games they are adding to their show.

And if MS announce some more new studios like Bloober Team or The Farm 51, shut the gate.
Sony's PS5 Reveal was the most watched gaming event ever; not to undermine MS, but it's most definitely not going to be easy, even if I do believe they'll have a good show.
Weird thing in this thread is seeing people try to paint the Sony show as disappointing, not as a valid personal opinion, but as a statement of fact (while also mysteriously cutting out a lot of the games they announced).

Also, some of your expectations are a bit out of whack:
- Halo Infinite being closer to the Bungie ones is conjecture, and the tease seems to point to an Halo Wars 2 villain
- XSX can fully RT Minecraft at 1080p, Forza 8 will have to use smart techniques for RT reflections
- Hellblade 2 is reeeeally far out (it will be on UE5, which isn't available to partners yet)
- Greenberg is out there cautioning about PD and Fable not being there, so maybe don't get your hopes up
- Has MS released a single exclusive RPG this gen? Owning the RPG space?? What!?
- PD has never not worked on Forza, so their team, as accomplished as it is, might not be best suited for an RPG
- The Initiative is a "small, nimble team", probably more focused on support in development (think Sony's Malaysia studio)
- I get Medium, but what has Farm 51 ever done to warrant being a big deal? Get Even?

What I feel is more realistic are smaller scale games, since they deliberately acquired studios with side-projects close to be ready to ship, with their usual Halo, Forza and Gears.
I'm personally hoping for Banjo, but was surprised Fable might not be there.

Last edited:

Xplainin

Banned
Sony's PS5 Reveal was the most watched gaming event ever; not to undermine MS, but it's most definitely not going to be easy, even if I do believe they'll have a good show.
Weird thing in this thread is seeing people try to paint the Sony show as disappointing, not as a valid personal opinion, but as a statement of fact (while also mysteriously cutting out a lot of the games they announced).

Also, some of your expectations are a bit out of whack:
- Halo Infinite being closer to the Bungie ones is conjecture, and the tease seems to point to an Halo Wars 2 villain
- XSX can fully RT Minecraft at 1080p, Forza 8 will have to use smart techniques for RT reflections
- Hellblade 2 is reeeeally far out (it will be on UE5, which isn't available to partners yet)
- Greenberg is out there cautioning about PD and Fable not being there, so maybe don't get your hopes up
- Has MS released a single exclusive RPG this gen? Owning the RPG space?? What!?
- PD has never not worked on Forza, so their team, as accomplished as it is, might not be best suited for an RPG
- The Initiative is a "small, nimble team", probably more focused on support in development (think Sony's Malaysia studio)
- I get Medium, but what has Farm 51 ever done to warrant being a big deal? Get Even?

What I feel is more realistic are smaller scale games, since they deliberately acquired studios with side-projects close to be ready to ship, with their usual Halo, Forza and Gears.
I'm personally hoping for Banjo, but was surprised Fable might not be there.
Views have nothing to do with quality. Titanic the movie shows that.

We dont have to wait too long now to see how close I am.
We are all just predicting what we think will be the case.

After i got game pass for pc (4us) and didn’t play any game for more than 5 minutes I would say Xbox is DOA.

Ok maybe I got bad games, Forza 4, sea of thieves, gears tactics , gears 5, killer instinct (this one did age badly), dead rising and a bunch of indies. Is there any other Xbox /Pc exclusive worth of checking ?

Tulipanzo

We dont have to wait too long now to see how close I am.
We are all just predicting what we think will be the case.
Yeah, but you barely commented on quality at all. The show was also incredibly well received, and the views and social media stats reflect that handily.
You can also just watch the DF coverage, and they seem massively impressed by the tech on display
so many examples of hardware RT in an initial software reveal borders on the miraculous
While MS may very well have a good show, to claim it will easily beat Sony's is farcical; I also find it very sad that your solution to this is to falsely claim the presentation was mid.

Plus, your predictions willfully disregard XSX capability or MS Studios's availability and manpower, as I explained.

pasterpl

After i got game pass for pc (4us) and didn’t play any game for more than 5 minutes I would say Xbox is DOA.

Ok maybe I got bad games, Forza 4, sea of thieves, gears tactics , gears 5, killer instinct (this one did age badly), dead rising and a bunch of indies. Is there any other Xbox /Pc exclusive worth of checking ?

it all depends on what kind of games do you like, there are not too many 3rd person walking simulators on game pass (this is Sony domain)

btw.
Forza horizon 4 is the best arcade racer this gen ;)

No Offense: Are you maybe the kind of person who can't see value in a product he didn't have to pay for?
Not a single one of these games even shows actual gameplay 5 minutes in. If you lost interest at that point I feel like that's a decision you already made going in.

Last edited:

Xplainin

Banned
Yeah, but you barely commented on quality at all. The show was also incredibly well received, and the views and social media stats reflect that handily.
You can also just watch the DF coverage, and they seem massively impressed by the tech on display

While MS may very well have a good show, to claim it will easily beat Sony's is farcical; I also find it very sad that your solution to this is to falsely claim the presentation was mid.

Plus, your predictions willfully disregard XSX capability or MS Studios's availability and manpower, as I explained.
I said that there was only four games that impressed from a Sony point of view. Most other games will be multiplat so that's not an issue for MS.
It's not going to take much for MS to show 4 or more games as good.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Onestly? Just show 10 min gameplay for halo, fable and another big game like hellbalde 2 and you already won the "event war" against sony.
If that's true for you then you just happen to dislike almost every sony game shown. Most people seemed pretty blown away by the sheer amount of games and exclusives and variety at the Sony event. So no it's gonna take more than that by a mile.

Tulipanzo

I said that there was only four games that impressed from a Sony point of view. Most other games will be multiplat so that's not an issue for MS.
Again, you're wholly dismissing the event, and even getting the number of games wrong so that you can make MS's job sound easier. Only four impressed whom exactly? Because I can tell you more than 4 games got a really big reaction.

It is frankly pathetic to try and prop up your favourite box by lying about what the competition is doing, and I also have hopes for July.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member

So you're saying if ALL the MS exclusives appeal to you and only a few main PS exclusives did, then MS wins? That's always been true

mejin

I remember 2018 when people mocked sony press conference in e3 2018 with the big 4 and praised MS big show with another biggest Xbox lineup in history where most of the games would come to PlayStation too.

Two years later Sony is still getting the profits from that show and MS is still makings promises.

geordiemp

Games I liked were Horizon, Ratchet, Kena and Morales spiderman, demon souls. On watch / need to see more are returnal, pragmata and stray.

But thats just a first showing, do you think thats it ? MS had a showing already, only hellblade caught my eye, MS will show again in july, they will again in august.

Sony will show again at least 2 more times as well.

Patience everyone, no need to blow your load.

Hellblade on X1X

XOX_Enriched_004.jpeg

XOX_Enriched_000.jpeg

TLOU2 on PS4 Pro

oseQUbm.jpg

the-last-of-us-part-2-preview-screenshots_t96m.jpg

I think you didn't play enough games for such statement.
Hellblade looks better than those two from TLOU so stop smoking the cooch

The Sony reveal was...eh...nice, I guess. I'd rate it a 6/10. Warriorz have been riding that dick way too hard. Xbox will be fine. I'm getting both new systems at launch, but people need to realize we're crossing over into the land of diminishing returns with this gen and keep their expectations in check, especially at the start of the gen. A couple years in and we'll start to see some really cool shit.

@Vasto

Halo Infinite - Dying IP
Everwild - Looks like SOT, Bleeding Egde yet another cartoony game built for streaming from the E/F/G team
Project Mora - A stair case in CGI
Hellblade 2 - CGI no gameplay shown
Flight Simulator - Traditionally PC
Age Of Empires 4 - Traditionally PC

If you check the stats metrics, the following games have minimal interest due to XBOX's abysmal showing/event and most are timed exclusives

The Medium
The Accent
Scorn
Call Of The Sea
Second Extinction
Bright Memory Infinite

Gears Tactics -
Didn't make NPD in XBOX's strongest territory and never showed up on any game sales chart outside of North America. Average players in the last 30 days on steam is 219
No game listed is time exclusive

DavJay

The One X revived the Xbox One In my opinion. First time in a lifetime I’m with a console in it final year and feel like it’s not completely outdated. I could even go another 2-3 years with it.

Last edited:

Xplainin

Banned
Again, you're wholly dismissing the event, and even getting the number of games wrong so that you can make MS's job sound easier. Only four impressed whom exactly? Because I can tell you more than 4 games got a really big reaction.

It is frankly pathetic to try and prop up your favourite box by lying about what the competition is doing, and I also have hopes for July.
You have taken this reveal thing a little too much to heart.
Pathetically so one might say.
Opinions arnt lies, even if they go against your own opinion.
As I said, twice already, there was only really 4 games that stood out for Sony. We are talking about what is going to set Sony and MS apart, and the games shown by both that will be multiplat wont do that.
Thats like saying Assassin's Cread Valhalla was a massive showing for Xbox, when its just a multiplat that will be on PS5 as well, but shown for Xbox first.
This thread is a guessing game, we all have our guess and soon we will all see how close we got.
Then there are some people who get their feelings hurt when others opinions dont back up their own. Dont be one of those.

Xplainin

Banned
So you're saying if ALL the MS exclusives appeal to you and only a few main PS exclusives did, then MS wins? That's always been true
No, not what I said.
I said that MS really only have to show 4 games at the same level of Horizon, Spiderman, R&C and GT to match what Sony did.
Your choice of console or game preference is a personal thing.
If MS dont show Forza, Halo, Hellblade, Perfect Dark or Fable, and show a couple of campy titles like We Happy Few 2, and the rest are multiplats like AC or COD, then yeah, MS got owned.
But none of us here, well the sane ones at least, think that will be the case.

pixelation

Microsoft talks a big ass game, I fully expect them to show nothing that can't be done on the PS5 (even less so when they'll have no XBSX exclusives for at least a full year).

Last edited:

the_master

They should show some game or tech demo for xsex and not compatible with xbone.
The fact that halo will be bc worries me a lot

Arkam

A week or so ago I would have said they have nothing to prove. But that was before some very brazen shot talking PR. Now they have to melt my face (relative to PS5 showing) for it not to be a disappointment. That’s the cost of hype (if you don’t back it up). I personally am ready to see some MS first party and have my face melted.

Last edited:

pixelation

A week or so ago I would have said they have nothing to prove. But that was before some very brazen shot talking PR. Now they have to melt my face (relative to PS5 showing) for it not to be a disappointment. That’s the cost of hype (if you don’t back it up). I personally am ready to see some MS first party and have my face melted.
For real.... with all the shots they have been firing at Sony they better show some next-next gen shit, they have been shouting the "most powerful machine ever" thing way to loudly (watch it be a case of "too many farts, not a lot of shit").

Last edited:
I mean, just thinking about the AAA games that they will show that will be Xbox exclusive makes me think that at least a few games will absolutely blow everyone's minds.
-Everwild
-Halo Infinite
-Hellblade 2
-Project: Mara (likely not final name, will likely get new trailer)
-Flight Simulator
-Gears Tactics
-Psychonauts 2
-Wasteland 3
-AAA Obsidian RPG (rumored to be a Skyrim-like)
-AAA Playground Games RPG (rumored to be Fable)
-Forza Motorsport 8/Forza Horizon 5 (not sure either will release this holiday season, but believe that one will be announced)
-The Initiative's AAA game will likely be revealed here or during The Game Awards
-Probably at least 1 or 2 AAA XGS Publishing games
-Gears 5 Story DLC (rumored, not confirmed)

And this doesn't even include the other studios/teams that will have games due to be announced soonish but will also likely not be AAA. I personally am more excited for the smaller scale games like Grounded, but to each their own really

AmuroChan

The challenge for Microsoft is that they not only have to have a great showcase to excite Xbox fans, they need their showcase to also entice some PS4-only gamers back to Xbox. And so it's not going to be enough to just match Sony's showcase. They need to exceed it in a noticeable way such that some PS4-only gamers are going to seriously think about switching over to the Series X. The pressure is definitely on Microsoft to blow people away with their July event.

gow3isben

Visually, unfortunately nothing they show will be shackle-free from current gen systems. Thus, I can't see their showcase depicting anything better than RDR2. Sure Gears 6 or whatever will blow our minds but I am not keeping my hopes up for this conference.

Overall, exclusive wise I'm curious to see how the far the new studios are in their games.

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
xbox fanboys reminds me of amiga ardent amiga fanboys on the past ( i was one of them) they dont read the signals and being realistic wasnt their forte,time will tell

Given that Hellblade 2 will likely be a lineair game again, it can't be compared with HFW directly.

By that criteria, people would easily admit Red Dead 2 is the best looking game this gen since it looks the way it does in a world as big as it is.
But nobody does that..everyone appreciates (for good reason) naughty dogs attention to detail and call it the best looking game of this gen.

Any games graphics can be compared to any games graphics.
Everything Microsoft shows will be compared to everything Sony shows and theres nothing wrong with that.

Senua and Aloy are two dread-head warrior women in good looking 3rd person action/adventure games.
The comparison is coming..enjoy it.

sainraja

it all depends on what kind of games do you like, there are not too many 3rd person walking simulators on game pass (this is Sony domain)

btw.
Forza horizon 4 is the best arcade racer this gen ;)

All games are walking simulators. Some go as far as and introduce the 'running' simulation feature. What's your point?

That's such a lame way to discredit a game. Come on. You can do better.

Last edited:
Launching with a semi decent halo potentially on game pass, with what's looking to be a considerably more powerful machine. If they can convince the bean counters to price it the same as the ps5... It's no wonder MS is looking more confident lately.

Mr. Nobody

Sadly, been around long enough to lower my expectations with any game's initial showing. Knowing that the new Halo game will be on PC day one as with all new MS studio games, the launch of this new gen will have a very low barrier for entry for me.

pasterpl

All games are walking simulators. Some go as far as and introduce the 'running' simulation feature. What's your point?

That's such a lame way to discredit a game. Come on. You can do better.

my point is that there is a big variety of games on game pass, the only genre that it quite underrepresented though is 3rd person adventure/story games quite often referred to as “walking simulators” that are very popular on playstation, same, there are not too many “interactive movies” type of games on game pass.

i wasn’t trying to discredit any game, was just responding that maybe that user didn’t like what he played on game pass as there is obvious lack of certain type of games on GP, that are quite common on PlayStation.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Titanic was an objectively well made movie regardless of how you feel about any aspect of it.

It was very well received by viewers, had a very long theater run and even had a second run when it came out on cassette. And made over 2 billion in the box office.

Cameron was obsessed about the quality and accuracy of the film and only made concessions for artistic purposes. He even made the stars match the way they would have appeared in that part of the world on that night.

Are you high? Why would you pick such a well crafted film when you could pic Avatar from the same director?

supernova8

Banned
After seeing what Sony showed with their supposedly magic SSD which is much faster than Xbox's, I cannot see the Series X really showing much better with only a few more teraflops (in relative terms).

I guess they will end up looking the same-ish and we'll be disappointed by both, and not think either of them are a true next-generation leap until around maybe 2022 when developers are fully into the swing of making games around this new storage paradigm.

TL;DR - it'll be shit just like that Sony event was shit.

edit: By the way Microsoft claims that they will support the old Xbox consoles for a few years into the generation but if they start getting curb-stomped in number of units sold, I think the old systems will get dropped like a lead balloon.

Last edited:

Tulipanzo

You have taken this reveal thing a little too much to heart.
Pathetically so one might say.
Opinions arnt lies, even if they go against your own opinion.
As I said, twice already, there was only really 4 games that stood out for Sony. We are talking about what is going to set Sony and MS apart, and the games shown by both that will be multiplat wont do that.
Thats like saying Assassin's Cread Valhalla was a massive showing for Xbox, when its just a multiplat that will be on PS5 as well, but shown for Xbox first.
This thread is a guessing game, we all have our guess and soon we will all see how close we got.
Then there are some people who get their feelings hurt when others opinions dont back up their own. Dont be one of those.
You'd do well to notice, I never claimed the PS5 Reveal to be impressive based on my own opinion. I specifically cited social media stats, view counts and online reactions. This is not a thread about my opinion, but about marketing.

If your standard is that MS showing will impress you more, a person with a literal giant X in their avatar, then great.
However it is a really uninteresting, unimportant and frankly lop-sided way to approach discussion.

"I personally didn't like this show as much as I think I'll like that one" is the whole argument you've been making, and it's as useless as it is self-aggrandizing.

Neither of those are real time. There's just too much happening on the screen to make sense from a logistics point of view.
The Senhua one is even less believable.

If the consoles are as powerful as they claim, still having to resort to GCI and rendering tricks is pretty disappointing.

manzo

ITT: My plastic box has better CGI video than your box.

i don’t think we’ve seen a single real gameplay segments in a Series X game. We’ve seen a few short clips of games on PS5, but none on SeriesX.

Let’s wait until we see real gameplay on both from the same games on both platforms with huds and someone actually playing them.

edit: I’m only waiting to see what Falcom does on PS5. We might actually start seeing late-life PS3 level games finally!

Last edited:

Sony

Nintendo
Reading the thread title again is quite interesting. It's funny that the burden of proof is on Microsoft, which has the more powerful machine, while practically the only thing PS5 has over Series X is the SSD.

Honestly the initial Microsoft showcase graphics, while underwhelming at the time - weren’t really that far off from the Sony showcase graphics. Which surprised me. Sony games looked like better games tho

Top Bottom