• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avowed New Trailer Revealed. Coming Early 2024 | Xbox Showcase 2023

We all knew this day was coming sooner or later. Games usually get better in visuals as the generation continues, but when you have to constantly design around weaker hardware....well, we are now seeing the results

What I said in that post I made was out of frustration because there always seems to be some issue with Xbox. Talking about the most powerful console yet make the Series S.

It’s like today with some of their showings, why for example couldn’t they show Hellblade 2 off properly, some combat, an overview of different locations etc.

I understand there is a extended look in a couple of days but I hope you get where I’m coming from.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
g1v1uKx.jpg
5tVzcfd.jpg
gRs7cBz.jpg
x6YYDyD.jpg
HsDjUiK.jpg
FtyWzIy.jpg

It actually looks really nice, need to see the RPG elements though as Obsidian games don't lend themselves to these sort of short trailers.

Draugoth Draugoth can you put these in the opening post?👍

How are people saying this looks bad? What the actual fuck is wrong with people? hahaha 😆

Wow completely different tone from the reveal trailer. Remember the purple fire covering the hand? There's none of that here 😂. Hopefully it plays better than it looks.

Gambit2483

What I said in that post I made was out of frustration because there always seems to be some issue with Xbox. Talking about the most powerful console yet make the Series S.

It’s like today with some of their showings, why for example couldn’t they show Hellblade 2 off properly, some combat, an overview of different locations etc.

I understand there is a extended look in a couple of days but I hope you get where I’m coming from.
Right...but was there any 1st party game in that showing that genuinely made you say "Wow! This is definitely the world's most powerful console."?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Feel like I got catfished, I honestly thought I was looking at something else. The entire tone is different from the original trailer, maybe this is why we shouldn't be announcing games years in advance.

That's one of those CG trailers from years ago they got a lot of shit for. That trailer doesn't have any in-game, in-engine etc tags anywhere on it.

The entire art style of the game has changed and they just said in an interview today that they changed the style of the game to be less like Skyrim and more their own take over the development, so that trailer is a relic of its time and not a representative of what Obsidian want the game to be right now in any form.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
They should have pivoted by taking the flying burning arrow from the announcement trailer and turning the concept into an Exo One clone.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Right...but was there any 1st party game in that showing that genuinely made you say "Wow! This is definitely the world's most powerful console."?
Considering people were crying about fable being cgi. Then being proven wrong. I say that screams most powerful console.

No and that’s my issue. I don’t see the games the way PlayStation impacts people. That instant oh wow feeling. They rarely ever shock me in a good way these days. I read people all the time saying how amazing Xbox is doing , that’s it’s fine .

Today again, the showcase is a 10 or how brilliant the likes of Phil Spencer are or how hyped for yet more Forza or how great Starfield is and I desperately want to feel like they do but I don’t and it puts me on a bit of downer year after year.

If it’s not games it’s features and the way they are .implemented

They have dynamic themes yet they have to change the dash to get a better of view of them and none have music

I was a bit of a achievement hunter and that system should be a bit more like Sony with a platinum type of thing/DLC being a separate list , they said they were working on improving Achievements back in 2021 and still haven’t done anything. I ask the product managers/teams about it on social media and never get a reply.

Sorry for the long response I just wanted to clarify that I mean well and when I’m negative it’s not some Sony fanboy trolling shit.

Last edited:

sachos

Man i was so hyped for this game... expected more from this, looked way too last gen and kinda janky =(
Still looking forward to it but hype levels are way lower.

wipeout364

I was really hyped after the trailer. It looked fantastic, one of my highlights of the show. I am surprised that people are so fixated on the visuals, this is obsidian; if you are looking for cutting edge features and graphics I don’t know what to tell you. You buy Obsidian games for the Story and RPG mechanics.

Last edited:

Arachnid

I like the color and aesthetic. It reminds me of Morrowind. Not a fan of how cartoony some of it is though (glowing eyes in skeletons). Still, its obsidian so I'm in.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
g1v1uKx.jpg
5tVzcfd.jpg
gRs7cBz.jpg
x6YYDyD.jpg
HsDjUiK.jpg
FtyWzIy.jpg

It actually looks really nice, need to see the RPG elements though as Obsidian games don't lend themselves to these sort of short trailers.

Draugoth Draugoth can you put these in the opening post?👍
These screens look much better. Just based off the trailer (which I watched at half size as I was also on GAF and surfing my stocks at the same time), the video of the game looked like Skyrim-Lite with meh visuals. These pics look pretty good. The artstyle is one part realistic-ish and one part a bit cartoony. You wouldnt see a lizardman look like that in Skyrim.

GenericUser

I like the artstyle and the combat looked really nice. Gave me dark messiah of might and magic vibes. Cool to have a game to look forward in 2024.

Topher

Gold Member
The graphics are a step back, but the game obviously has a lot of work left. It still looks like a fun game. I like the first person magic casting aspect of it. Hopefully the RPG mechanics are well done.

How are people saying this looks bad? What the actual fuck is wrong with people? hahaha 😆

Frankly, it looks like a different game than the dark, creepy environment that was shown in the reveal. I was kind of digging that vibe and now it's like someone spilled paint everywhere. That doesn't mean it looks bad, but much different than I was expecting.

Robb

Gold Member
This took me a bit off guard. Visuals look underwhelming, I don’t even like the “new” logo/font.

Those nitpicks aside though it does look interesting. Sounds like it’ll double down on choices etc. which can be a lot of fun.

I really enjoyed The Outer Worlds so I’m looking forward to this one.

ABnormal

It's UE5, so of course it's the top of tech (the developers didn't create the engine, it's already efficient). But everything is very mediocre from the point of view of art direction, animations, effects. So it gives a soulless impression.

Bkdk

Not a good trailer, but then obsidian’s games never looked good on trailers ever, one of their specialties. Will certainly play it. Hopefully after avowed they would work on another fallout single player spinoff as fallout 5 will likely not released for another decade.

Last edited:

PanzerCute

Looks really fun to play, with an interesting world to explore.

I was expecting something darker considering the first teaser, but hey Im not complaining it looks like a cool game!

Last edited:

hyperbertha

Super underwhelming, like a budget Elder Scrolls. What the hell, this is one of the games why I bought a series X, since I usually love this studio (outer worlds was a letdown).
Don't buy consoles based on cg trailers. If the game turns out bad, you have only yourselves to blame

ZehDon

Gold Member
yep....IF you were one of those shitting on Spider-Man 2's graphics....you gotta keep the same energy. this looked like a remake of a 360 game.
Man, seeing a lot of these posts today. "If you said A about B, then you GOTTA say X about Y!"

"If you said Spider-man 2's graphics weren't good - ignoring that the game is a AAA headliner from Sony's premier developer, utilising one of the biggest IPs in existence and guaranteed to sell 10 million copies, from a studio who delivered a PS5 graphical benchmark at launch, and with a massive budget - then you gotta say Avowed's graphics weren't good - ignoring that it's a AA game from a AA studio, using their own original IP with no guaranteed fanbase to rely on, from a studio who's last game was best described as a mid-scope AA title, using a much smaller budget - because they're exactly the same and you gotta keep that same energy!"

I wasn't a big fan of Avowed's showing today - they've clearly gone off the direction from their initial reveal trailer, and what I saw today didn't convince that was a good idea - but considering the AA scope of the title and its developer, I think it's fine visually, if not downright nice in some of the official screenshots. It's basically a budget Elder Scrolls, and it clearly looks like one. It's not a USD$150m sequel to one of last gen's most successful games, and it shouldn't be held to those standards.

Yoboman

Man, seeing a lot of these posts today. "If you said A about B, then you GOTTA say X about Y!"

"If you said Spider-man 2's graphics weren't good - ignoring that the game is a AAA headliner from Sony's premier developer, utilising one of the biggest IPs in existence and guaranteed to sell 10 million copies, from a studio who delivered a PS5 graphical benchmark at launch, and with a massive budget - then you gotta say Avowed's graphics weren't good - ignoring that it's a AA game from a AA studio, using their own original IP with no guaranteed fanbase to rely on, from a studio who's last game was best described as a mid-scope AA title, using a much smaller budget - because they're exactly the same and you gotta keep that same energy!"

I wasn't a big fan of Avowed's showing today - they've clearly gone off the direction from their initial reveal trailer, and what I saw today didn't convince that was a good idea - but considering the AA scope of the title and its developer, I think it's fine visually, if not downright nice in some of the official screenshots. It's basically a budget Elder Scrolls, and it clearly looks like one. It's not a USD$150m sequel to one of last gen's most successful games, and it shouldn't be held to those standards.
Weird it's now just a AA game after years of hype as a Skyrim competitor, being described as a AAA RPG even by Obsidian

ZehDon

Gold Member
Weird it's now just a AA game after years of hype as a Skyrim competitor, being described as a AAA RPG even by Obsidian
According to Obsidian, it started as a Skyrim competitor, and then they scaled it down. Hence today's disappointment of myself and others. They're a small developer - a fraction of the size of Insomniac or Bethesda. They make games like Grounded, Pentiment, and The Outer Worlds; AA games. Avowed will be the biggest game they've ever made - and it's still clearly a AA game.

Last edited:
The animations are horrible IMO.

I know we never knew much about it but I was really disappointed in this trailer. I normally love Obsidian stuff even if it is always on the side of janky but this looked like a alpha or something.

Even the narrator sounded bored, probably cause everything he said was generic af. After outer worlds and this trailer, I can't even have faith in their writing anymore...

Banjo64

cumsessed
Even the narrator sounded bored, probably cause everything he said was generic af. After outer worlds and this trailer, I can't even have faith in their writing anymore...
The initial trailer, despite being CGI, was a fantastic reveal in my opinion. I eulogised over it below, in 2021.

Every word oozed mystique. This line in particular is fire 🔥

‘is an oath, worth the weight of a crown?

Man I am so hyped for Avowed. Sorry to gush but New Vegas is an all time classic and the trailer, whilst only using cinematics, just gets me hyped as fuck. The voice over guy, high fantasy setting; ‘is an oath, worth the weight of a crown?’ It just gives me goosebumps every time.

I just known Obsidian will deliver with this, it reminds me of seeing the Lord of the Rings FOTR or Skyrim Dragonborn trailer for the first time.

I’m still hopeful for Avowed, but seeing them ditch that tone for something else is disappointing.

I’d also say that ‘a mysterious virus/plague/illness’ is such a bland and contrived trope I can’t actually believe that’s the direction they’ve gone in.

geary

The reason why Avowed doesn't look like the first reveal is that key people left the studio and the game was rebooted multiple times. It lost its identity after the initial reveal.

Not the really gotcha moment you think it is since Obsidian confirmed they rethought the overall game approach to look less like Skyrim.

Top Bottom