• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avowed New Trailer Revealed. Coming Early 2024 | Xbox Showcase 2023

Teslerum

An anonymous dev posted this on the codex

Codex always gives a good, wild ride! This thread is bonkers but 100% warranted. The trailer fails to show much in its 2 minute run time, which also means it fails as a trailer, many at the studio certainly agree. To clear up misconceptions though I'll say this, the game is big and open, it is unfair to compare it to OW (I think Ferg is trying to keep expectations down just in case), which I think it is nothing alike, this coming from someone who did not like much of OW, especially the art style.

The studio that did the trailer did some compression of colors and image editing, the screenshots that have been released are much more representative of what it looks like just running through it (they also are appear to be totally random shots from the game, I'm not sure why these were chosen out all the things, probably to keep spoilers at minimum). A lot of the game is being kept hidden right now, I think you will have to wait until the next trailer or some sort of presentation to really see it, but it is safe to assume it is very Obsidian, for better or for worse :lol:. No, the entire game isn't all bright and happy town, no it is not all so indistinct visually, just the spots shown in the trailer. There are lots of characters, quests, conversations, various game mechanics, big story, etc. Hopefully we can just release more shots from the game without having to worry about another trailer. I miss working on POEs where we could just leak our own shit and no one could tell us no.

I guess take that as you will. Dumpsterfire comments are bit overhype, development is going well right now, MS is allowing Obsidian free license to do as they will, and if it is success or fails it'll be on Obsidian's own terms.

Good news, but sadly also

Showcase won't show anything new from the game

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
An anonymous dev posted this on the codex

Codex always gives a good, wild ride! This thread is bonkers but 100% warranted. The trailer fails to show much in its 2 minute run time, which also means it fails as a trailer, many at the studio certainly agree. To clear up misconceptions though I'll say this, the game is big and open, it is unfair to compare it to OW (I think Ferg is trying to keep expectations down just in case), which I think it is nothing alike, this coming from someone who did not like much of OW, especially the art style.

The studio that did the trailer did some compression of colors and image editing, the screenshots that have been released are much more representative of what it looks like just running through it (they also are appear to be totally random shots from the game, I'm not sure why these were chosen out all the things, probably to keep spoilers at minimum). A lot of the game is being kept hidden right now, I think you will have to wait until the next trailer or some sort of presentation to really see it, but it is safe to assume it is very Obsidian, for better or for worse :lol:. No, the entire game isn't all bright and happy town, no it is not all so indistinct visually, just the spots shown in the trailer. There are lots of characters, quests, conversations, various game mechanics, big story, etc. Hopefully we can just release more shots from the game without having to worry about another trailer. I miss working on POEs where we could just leak our own shit and no one could tell us no.

I guess take that as you will. Dumpsterfire comments are bit overhype, development is going well right now, MS is allowing Obsidian free license to do as they will, and if it is success or fails it'll be on Obsidian's own terms.

Good news, but sadly also
Not saying this to you, but to the source who posted this:

But this all sounds like a bunch of excuses to me.

• The studio that did the trailer messed it up with color compression and image editing (why are they editing the images in the first place? Isn't gameplay footage supposed to be captured raw from PC/console to be the best representative?)
  • The scenes that were NOT shown are the better ones
  • Obsidian themselves just gave an interview that the scope was reigned in (intentionally). This guy says no Obsidian is incorrect lol.
  • "Wait till next trailer."
  • Also, an "anonymous" source. So just a bunch of rumors at best.

Iced Arcade

Kinda reminds me of The Outer Worlds without guns
8H2ekKK.png
cwQUBYJ.png

Should probably watch the video

Teslerum

Not saying this to you, but to the source who posted this:

But this all sounds like a bunch of excuses to me.

• The studio that did the trailer messed it up with color compression and image editing (why are they editing the images in the first place? Isn't gameplay footage supposed to be captured raw from PC/console to be the best representative?)
  • The scenes that were NOT shown are the better ones
  • Obsidian themselves just gave an interview that the scope was reigned in (intentionally). This guy says no Obsidian is incorrect lol.
  • "Wait till next trailer."
  • Also, an "anonymous" source. So just a bunch of rumors at best.
He's confirmed. Just not his actual name. Has provided insider info in the past.

Also he's not disagreeing about changed scope. He's talking about the Outer Worlds comparison specifically (Which if you played it makes sense, there's a long way between OW and Skyrim in size and scope).

Last edited:

Ronin_7

Banned
The game looks terrible stop defending Trash lol. 360 graphics insane how they even showed this especially coming from Fable which looked incredible.

Last edited:

cireza

They showed it from a first person view as if you were the character playing, clearly knowing what they were doing.
That's the point of a CGI trailer. To draw a picture of the target they want to reach. It being first person was obviously a good thing. Imagine it being third person ? People would then have complained that it is first person in the end.

People will always complain anyway.

Top Bottom