• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 8 |OT| Don’t H8 When Fist Meets Fate

Patch notes are up:

Seems like there have been a couple nerfs, but azucena has been left untouched
Season 9 Thank You GIF by The Office
Thank god they nerf Dragunov sneak 4. That move is brain dead af.

SCB3

I thought the patch reset my Ranking in Arcade Quest with Jin, turns out I'd ben playing it as King for some reason, probably practice

On the plus side the 20 or so CPU Hard matches allowed me to concentrate on 1 or 2 things to improve on, namely low blocks and combo strings, so thats always a bonus

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Source? This seems like FUD.
...FUD? fear, uncertainty, doubt?....why? Any kind of processing tends to add a bit of lag, even local dimming can add like 0.5ms on FALD displays.
TV's are generally better in not introducing noticable lag vs monitors, but they generally have higher input lag to begin with.
MonitorsUnboxed also tests input lag in both SDR and HDR (timestamped):

...FUD? fear, uncertainty, doubt?....why? Any kind of processing tends to add a bit of lag, even local dimming can add like 0.5ms on FALD displays.
TV's are generally better in not introducing noticable lag vs monitors, but they generally have higher input lag to begin with.
MonitorsUnboxed also tests input lag in both SDR and HDR (timestamped):

Thanks for that!

It seems that many (all?) LCD monitors introduce processing lag in HDR mode. IMHO, you would never use HDR on LCD monitors since they cannot provide high peak brightness. Only the OLED monitors provide worthwhile HDR and without any additional processing time. So, one should never encounter this ridiculous 10ms lag that these monitors introduce. Yikes.

I haven’t seen benchmarks of my Sony a95k, but there are many of the LG C series, and the lag is always sub-3ms. Based on this and the OLED monitor benchmarks, I presume that all OLED displays are essentially free of any lag difference between HDR and SDR.

Dai Kaiju

Jack 8 no nerfs. Feels good.

Climbing with him, and feeling more confident.

I did play Yoshi in training for a few hours like others suggested. He absolutely can do big dick damage but almost 200 moves and multiple stances made my head hurt…

At that point I would rather learn like Steve Fox, but I play tekken fairly casually. I don’t want to deep dive .
What’s your rank with Jack? I’ve been stuck at vanquisher for days now. I thought my Jack was pretty good but I keep getting crushed every other matc.

Dai Kaiju

Also, I’m not a fan of the coffee ho. I havent raged at a game since I was a child but fighting a good Azucena makes me want to bite my controller in half.

If these online play popularity figures are accurate, then Panda and Zafina are wasted slots. Also, I had no idea that Dragunov and King are this popular. I am really puzzled by the "Master of Drip" being so rare. I thought he was nearly broken in his last appearance. What changed?
09_tekstats01.jpg

Last edited:
If these online play popularity figures are accurate, then Panda and Zafina are wasted slots. Also, I had no idea that Dragunov and King are this popular. I am really puzzled by the "Master of Drip" being so rare. I thought he was nearly broken in his last appearance. What changed?
09_tekstats01.jpg
Dragunov is too OP before the new update. He is still strong even after the nerfed update.

King is always a popular character. His trailer has the most views.

Leroy is strong when they first introduced him in Tekken 7 but they nerf him too many times after that make his popular goes down. They doesn't change him much in Tekken 8 + other characters are too strong now.

Last edited:
09_tekstats01.jpg
Those figures are just based on the top 10,000 on the leaderboard for steam.

That said, the bottom isn't too different than what PotatoAsh reported for least used when he checked individual character use for first week.

Biggest difference was Nina didn't crack bottom 11 while Feng did, and Leroy is a bit more used than that, but still not that used. Panda should have never ever been more than a alt costume for Kuma in the first place. Zafina needs her DLC buff to be played.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Tekken 8 is my favourite fighting game alongside DOA5,I'm not much of an online player,I mainly play offline but got a month of psplus and decided to platinum Dead or Alive 5 and also Tekken 8 since it was mostly just online trophies missing and my god the Tekken 8 playerbase has no fucking clue how to engage with this game,barely anyone rematches,do these people know what fairplay is?

Ducking out like a little bitch isn't respectful in case they didnt know.

I've played DOA5 online and everyone rematched,same with Gran Blue Fantasy Versus,everyone from the people I completely body to the ones that body me have the curtasy to offer or ask for a rematch,not Tekken 8 players apparently,they are the lamest fighting community I've seen Holy Shit.

Also wtf is up with the player matches in this game,people making sessions and then going for a fucking nap or what? Don't create a fucking session if you're not active!

Klosshufvud

Tekken 8 is my favourite fighting game alongside DOA5,I'm not much of an online player,I mainly play offline but got a month of psplus and decided to platinum Dead or Alive 5 and also Tekken 8 since it was mostly just online trophies missing and my god the Tekken 8 playerbase has no fucking clue how to engage with this game,barely anyone rematches,do these people know what fairplay is?

I've played DOA5 online and everyone rematched,same with Gran Blue Fantasy Versus,everyone from the people I completely body to the ones that body me have the curtasy to offer or ask for a rematch,not Tekken 8 players apparently,they are the lamest fighting community I've seen Holy Shit.

Also wtf is up with the player matches in this game,people making sessions and then going for a fucking nap or what? Don't create a fucking session if you're not active!
I find the online component of T8 more and more to be a huge disappointment. It seems like every player is just angry. Maybe it's the gameplay, encouraging relentless assault that just pisses people off. Honestly I sort of miss DoA now. Tekken 8 has too much fat on its gameplay. They keep weigh it down with more and more mechanics when they should've stripped stuff away back to Tekken 5 standard. I can't say I particularly enjoy this game at this moment. It needs a year of fine tuning and even then I doubt it will be sufficient for me.

Rarely meet someone doesn't rematch. And I only cancel the rematch if I meet someone with bad connection.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
What’s your rank with Jack? I’ve been stuck at vanquisher for days now. I thought my Jack was pretty good but I keep getting crushed every other matc.
I hit warrior in one sitting. I didn’t really mess with the game much online.

I usually pick up fighting games these days to play against one buddy and the rest is just having fun in training mode.

Stuff that worked often:
-Back 1+2
-Down Back and 2 (charged and uncharged)
-1, 1
-Back 1,2
-Jump back 3, into any button
-Basically gave up trying to launch anyone except an occasional round start for a down forward 2, 1, down 2, run up and do back 3,2,2

Basically I play poke game, punish, throw often.

Neff

I find the online component of T8 more and more to be a huge disappointment. It seems like every player is just angry.

This is more of a modern fighting game thing than a Tekken thing, although it seems worse in Tekken because it's the most mainstream series, and a lot of new players are getting on board. But yeah, I've never seen so many players not know how to properly play fighting games, or be so quick to walk away from a fight they're overwhelmed by instead of sticking around and actually learning something. The amount of players who get a few jabs in and run away to camp out, or excessively rely on their power crush, even in orange/red ranks, is ridiculous. I mean this is Tekken! The most aggression-rewarding Tekken ever made! Winning it seems is all that matters, no matter how lame, and figuring out how the game actually works is too much effort. The moment you shut their one trick down, they run a mile to try it on someone else.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

This is more of a modern fighting game thing than a Tekken thing, although it seems worse in Tekken because it's the most mainstream series, and a lot of new players are getting on board. But yeah, I've never seen so many players not know how to properly play fighting games, or be so quick to walk away from a fight they're overwhelmed by instead of sticking around and actually learning something. The amount of players who get a few jabs in and run away to camp out, or excessively rely on their power crush, even in orange/red ranks, is ridiculous. I mean this is Tekken! The most aggression-rewarding Tekken ever made! Winning it seems is all that matters, no matter how lame, and figuring out how the game actually works is too much effort. The moment you shut their one trick down, they run a mile to try it on someone else.
I have noticed this too. People who master 70% damage air juggles but can't even block really telegraphed lows or tech throws. Can't blame them either, the tutorial blatantly states you should favor aggression always, even though waiting for mistakes is just as important. The early game teaches bad habits.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Bit of a steep learning curve for me. Went first to Practice Mode but noped out as it was just a long list of commands with no direction.

Then I figured that Story Mode will probably teach me the ropes. Button mashed successfully without reverting to the easy buttons all the way to the final boss(es), which turned out to be an absolute brick wall. I get 70% of my health knocked away and the boss gets several full refills? I get 99% of my health knocked out and need to finish the boss? Jesus Christ. Realised how I really do not know how to play the game at all, turned on the easy buttons and button mashed to the end credits.

Like, I have no idea how the energy recharge system works, or how the heat thing works it what it even is. Rage I kinda get, it’s a last ditch equaliser.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Ah, so that’s where it is. I was looking for everywhere since I had read thay T8 is beginner friendly, and was completely baffled by the practice mode. Thanks!
Arcade quest is superb.

The practice mode move list also has two lists. One for everything and then another shorter one to give you the meat with explanations.

Lastly, if you play online, watch your replays after a loss. It will pause the replay at various points to tell you what you did wrong and how to avoid that scenario.

Best replay system ever.

Valt7786

I'm guessing this is just a lower ranks thing but holy shit i've never met so many rage quitters, people who just plain give up in the 3rd round or don't stay past the 1st match.
SF 6 and MK were never this bad.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I don't remember running into this many ragequitters online in Tekken 7. It's getting ridiculous.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I feel like Paul is stronger than ever. Lee seems to be popular. Victor can be insanely good, but if you know what to block then it’s just a waiting game. I see a lot of players memorize Victor’s big combo into wall and that’s about it. You can tell when you easily punish their whiffs or they don’t follow up with something other than a combo starter. I’m playing Kazuya/Paul online.

Klosshufvud

DBF7B652C6E284A155651AB4E7EE638D9EFF1F93

Think ill retire from ranked for a while
Nice, I'm next to that rank now. But I feel like all that's changing climbing the ranks is the level of offense presented. It's kind of a shame how little the game promotes defense. A character like Dragunov is just so oppressive that even letting him get started is a massive mistake. I've gone back to quick play because I feel too obsessed with winning in Ranked. Get some crazy fun matches in Quick Play and it's real shame they can't go past FT2 yet.

On a sidenote, I've also gone back to Tekken 7 on the side and man the pacing feels like first gear in T7 compared to fifth gear in T8. I don't mind the slower pace actually.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Nice, I'm next to that rank now. But I feel like all that's changing climbing the ranks is the level of offense presented. It's kind of a shame how little the game promotes defense. A character like Dragunov is just so oppressive that even letting him get started is a massive mistake. I've gone back to quick play because I feel too obsessed with winning in Ranked. Get some crazy fun matches in Quick Play and it's real shame they can't go past FT2 yet.

On a sidenote, I've also gone back to Tekken 7 on the side and man the pacing feels like first gear in T7 compared to fifth gear in T8. I don't mind the slower pace actually.

Yeah if I start to get tilted I switch to quick play. I still occasionally throw out a tekken 7 combo on accident. You’re ballsy for going back lol. Although a lot of my friends list seems to be playing Tekken 7 as well.

And yes this game rewards relentless aggression above all else. T7 was way more deliberately paced and you would get brutally punished for just throwing shit out there in neutral. Feels like very little is launch punishable now. Dragunov in particular can just spam so much in neutral and you just have to know his flowcharts by heart or you will get launched for a 50% combo by trying to punish him before his string is over. The only answer is to be more aggressive.

Klosshufvud

Yeah if I start to get tilted I switch to quick play. I still occasionally throw out a tekken 7 combo on accident. You’re ballsy for going back lol. Although a lot of my friends list seems to be playing Tekken 7 as well.

And yes this game rewards relentless aggression above all else. T7 was way more deliberately paced and you would get brutally punished for just throwing shit out there in neutral. Feels like very little is launch punishable now. Dragunov in particular can just spam so much in neutral and you just have to know his flowcharts by heart or you will get launched for a 50% combo by trying to punish him before his string is over. The only answer is to be more aggressive.
I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling like that. I am very frustrated by the fact that Heat can be used so efficiently to apply pressure. If you activate heat, either you do instant damage with potential to juggle (if the opponent was jumping) or it leads to a block that leaves you with positive frames. Same with Heat Smash. If it lands, you get good chunk of their health gone and you have a pretty good spacing advantage with them being pushed to the wall. However if they BLOCK your Heat Smash, you still get massive wall carry, you get to recover chip health, you deal chip damage AND it leaves you with the advantage in the neutral. This is so busted. Some characters have shitty Heat Smashes sure but someone like King, DJin, Vanilla Jin or Dragunov is just insanity.

Since the game leaves you so few openings, I wish it did a better job if intuitively showing you that. SF for instance I feel is generally good at this. Tekken has some way to go. I wish it was more clear based on animation what moves leave you minus or plus on block. I feel like that would go a long way to make defense more rewarding, because right now defense requires knowledge, and good guessing game and pretty good reflexes whereas attacking simply requires a button press.

Crayon

I have had so little time to play this and I fucked up not brushing up with T7 before it was out. Now I'm missing the grand opening period.

I'm not just rusty, I'm legitimately regressed. I'm going to be stuck in the yellow ranks for quite awhile.

But that's fine. It's just a game. :> and it's incredibly fun.

Ive been playing for about two hours. I noticed I'm feeling too much tension in my shoulders and arms. So I decided to get a drink. :/ A whiskey water is not what I'm in the mood for at 1pm but I don't have anything else to take the edge off so I can play alright. I'm not an alcoholic I swear lol. I go weeks without drinking. I'm using alcohol for it's medicinal properties because I want to keep playing without getting a knot in my neck. :messenger_downcast_sweat:

Last edited:

Crayon

Okay I got a 5 hour nerpout in T8. My skill is creeping back up, but slowly. I need to play a bit after work to maintain.

The heat meter is a bit much. Combined with rage, whew. Together they become really prominent. But I'm not good at using them so I don't really know.

Overall, the game kicks ass. Feels great, looks great, sounds great. Tons of characters. Short loading, good netcode, cross play. This is up with ggst. I haven't played sf6 but people mostly say it's good.

Top Bottom