• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bend Studio animator Robert Morrison responds to The Last of Us 1 Remake regarding 'Cash Grab'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think $40 is fair for this. I'd be in at that price. $70 is pushing it, even for a brand new game.

Could be justified at a higher price point if they had to rebuild it. 70$ is kind of pushing it especially without the multiplayer. But the price will probably tank to more reasonable levels after launch.

clarky

Gold Member
Could be justified at a higher price point if they had to rebuild it. 70$ is kind of pushing it especially without the multiplayer. But the price will probably tank to more reasonable levels after launch.
Just the fact I've played through it twice already, I'll go again with new shiny things but not for 70 notes. They must have put alot of effort in to think that price is justified. We'll see i suppose, its obviously going to review well.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
If you think it's an easy task, then we should all set fire at Nintendo HQ for their low effort, identical to original remasters at full price.
At least with those games they're unplayable on the current Nintendo console. So suckers that want to play an old Zelda game on the Switch have to cough up the dough.

That's not the case here though. Tlou works perfectly well on ps5 already.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
If you think it's an easy task, then we should all set fire at Nintendo HQ for their low effort, identical to original remasters at full price.
No, but neither is it the great odyssey of effort.

In fact you can see that the skeleton of the cgi and gameplay is the same, only with updated graphics.

A remake is not only new graphics.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Lol now I'm tempted to make a Pt. 2 Avatar Bet thread. You doubters sure bout this one???

The question shouldnt be is this a cash grab but is this something that needs to exist and are the resources spent creating it better soent elsewhere

Yes. ~40 million people purchased next gen consoles with very little next gen content available after nearly 2 years.

Just the fact I've played through it twice already, I'll go again with new shiny things but not for 70 notes. They must have put alot of effort in to think that price is justified. We'll see i suppose, its obviously going to review well.

I did state earlier that I would need to see more. Maybe to someone who hasn’t played it they could justify the price. Certainly not my case though.

I really am curious to see what level of a remake this is going to be.

Swift_Star

Banned
Dude. He's pretty much admitted it's his job to defend Sony. He said he'd been super busy after the gow release date was announced. Kid has issues
Mean Girls Stalker GIF

Bo_Hazem

Banned
At least with those games they're unplayable on the current Nintendo console. So suckers that want to play an old Zelda game on the Switch have to cough up the dough.

So don't fucking buy it, mate. It's included in PS+ Collection, Extra, Premium. If that's the version you are ok with then enjoy it. I won't buy the game because I've beaten it in 2014, but some people didn't even play the game and did play TLOU2 or new comers might come after the show just like how The Witcher series drove sales up again.

Last edited:

decisions

At the end of the day, Sony is still asking for their new 1st-party title price point for a game that is not, well, new. Some things in my opinion are even worse like Ellie looking a few years older and different to more closely match her TLOU2 face for some reason.

I think Demon’s Souls should’ve been $50-$60 as well, but that was a way less offensive case than this since the original game’s MP was no longer available and the graphics update was much more substantial. Meanwhile, TLOU Remake doesn’t even include an update to the game’s original MP component.

sainraja

It's not about if the remake is gonna be polished or not, the issue here is that the game ain't that old, and still hold to this day, so didn't really need a remake, just imagine the disaster if this becomes a trend and so every game will be remade every 9 years after its release...
Well, you can simple choose to NOT spend your money on it. They are still working on their other projects.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
well, this thread delivered exactly what I was expecting:
People that don’t like Sony games bitching about a game they have no intention of playing.
Predictable. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Same crowd drooling at MCC and latest Mass Effect remasters that still look like old, polished turds. Some are just jealous of how Sony is leading by a huge margin in quality when it comes to remasters and remakes.

GermanZepp

I’m totally expecting the sales of this game causing massive meltdowns.

The game is gonna sell well and the technical stuff is gonna be awesome.

For me the point of discussion is if it was really necessary. (and the full price) I can't get exited for this but if it was a Bloodborne remake by bluepoint, (that is a newer game) I would be pleased, so can't argue against that.

I think this launch accomplish many things, unifying the game in the "same" engine controls and esthetic that part 2. Rising the hype for the factions multi-player, probably selling a boxset with part 1 and 2 and factions. Laying down the vibes for the TV show.

I loved the first game and I hated the second one. Probably gonna play when drops on plus.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
It's not about if the remake is gonna be polished or not, the issue here is that the game ain't that old, and still hold to this day, so didn't really need a remake, just imagine the disaster if this becomes a trend and so every game will be remade every 9 years after its release...
That's a completely different thing though. I agree, it seems unneeded.

But, a cash-grab implies low-effort, easy pay-out. This is the opposite. It's a huge undertaking and might not sell as well had they made a new project, but they still decided to do it, because, for whatever reason, they felt inspired to.

SteadyEvo

It's not needed. There was a remaster on the last gen......which is playable on current gen. It's a cash grab

Or how about offer a next gen upgrade for free......cowards
But that game looks like shit by todays standards. Can’t wait to give ND my money. Love their work. Playing through The Nathan Drake Collection now. They can do no wrong.

They’re on the Mt Rushmore of Developers with Quantic Dream and Nintendo.

You can simply choose to not buy the game. TLOU is a classic and legacy defining title for Sony, they want their finest work to represent the graphical quality that they can put out now. I bet once the game release and people see the QOL improvements made, no one will complain about this game being remade for Sony fans.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's a cash grab because similar games by Sony were priced at $40 last gen. SOTC and Ratchet remake are pretty much the same as this remake and they cost $40.

They think this is Demon Souls caliber but it doesnt look anything like it. DS remake looks two gens better. It looks a gen ahead of PS4 era souls games like Bloodborne, DS3 and of course Elden Rings. TLOU remake looks exactly like TLOU2.

Maybe they have gone ahead and given it the RE2make treatment with new bosses, new scenarios, and bigger levels, but lets be honest, no one actually believes that they are making any changes to the level design. it will be the same copy pasta as DS, SOTC and Ratchet. But if its a true next gen title and they just havent shown us shit that wasnt possible in TLOU2 then fine, id say its worth $70.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
well, this thread delivered exactly what I was expecting:
People that don’t like Sony games bitching about a game they have no intention of playing.
Predictable. 🤷🏻‍♂️
You really are on some crusade to downplay any negative comments about Sony, huh?

Do you think this forum is mostly anti Sony people? No. Then how did the vast majority of ppl that responded to the poll asking if tlou was worth $70 said no?

You can be a fan of Sony and call them out on things you don't like. To you Sony can do no wrong but maybe understand that not every Sony fan feels that way. Deal with it. People aren't out to trigger you with anti Sony posts.

Jormatar

Imagine the outrage in 2024 when Bluepoint releases BB remake on PS5/PC. People are gonna be mad!

Pedro Motta

What do you think? A tlou bundle in November? I don't see you doubting it...
What the problem of having bundles? The game is a system seller, makes sense to have bundles. What do you think their business is? Not selling games or consoles?

Jesus you guys, the mental gymnastics you make, "bundles to push the numbers up". No shit sherlock.

Topher

Gold Member
I don't mind the game being remade; I mind about the full price of it. To the point where I'll just wait for it to hit ps+.

That's reasonable. If a lot of people feel the same way and sales are not what Sony thinks they will be then they will have to drop the price. Supply and demand working like it always has.

Gamerguy84

My initial reaction was no and I think I posted that.

After seeing a sample and thinking about it I'm definitely buying it. I can only imagine how good this is going to look and play.

I haven't played for a few years and will keep it that way until this is out.

sainraja

It's a cash grab because similar games by Sony were priced at $40 last gen. SOTC and Ratchet remake are pretty much the same as this remake and they cost $40.

They think this is Demon Souls caliber but it doesnt look anything like it. DS remake looks two gens better. It looks a gen ahead of PS4 era souls games like Bloodborne, DS3 and of course Elden Rings. TLOU remake looks exactly like TLOU2.

Maybe they have gone ahead and given it the RE2make treatment with new bosses, new scenarios, and bigger levels, but lets be honest, no one actually believes that they are making any changes to the level design. it will be the same copy pasta as DS, SOTC and Ratchet. But if its a true next gen title and they just havent shown us shit that wasnt possible in TLOU2 then fine, id say its worth $70.
Just don't buy it man. lol.

So really this shouldn't bother you at all since you can still play TLOU perfectly well on the PS5. You can choose to spend your money elsewhere.

Last edited:
Well since his from Bend Studio then I wish him a farewell bent in his next fuck session.

On more of a serious note, I think it went over his head when people say "cash grab" a remake for a game with missing MP functions is quite shameful. But they know TLOU fans are thirsty for anything TLOU related and will eat it up. This is a similar situation to how Nintendo do their Remasters and sell them at full price.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Well since his from Bend Studio then I wish him a farewell bent in his next fuck session.

On more of a serious note, I think it went over his head when people say "cash grab" a remake for a game with missing MP functions is quite shameful. But they know TLOU fans are thirsty for anything TLOU related and will eat it up. This is a similar situation to how Nintendo do their Remasters and sell them at full price.

Difference is, most nintendo games aren't playable on their latest hardware and much of their "remasters" are from multiple console generations in the past.
TLOU just had a remaster last gen and works perfectly fine on the modern system. It is a game that lacked neither in graphics or sound design and I don't see the few shallow "additions" in TLOU2's gameplay making much of a real difference in the gameplay of the first game.

I would rather see devs go to making something new that hasn't been played before on the system. Not rehashing the same tired old stuff that we can already easily play and access.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
2013 PS3 LoU $60
2014 PS4 LoU Remastered $50 (was $60 and they dropped it $10 before launch)
2022 PS5 The LoU Part 1 $70

Sounds to me like a cash grab. But then again media does that. Every movie gets redone on a new movie format, then gets odds and ends Director's Cuts, Special Editions, Criterion Collections etc... Every time a new media format comes out and movies get re-released, Terminator 2 is always one of the first to launch.

iHaunter

The original came out on PS3... The remaster wasn't a huge increase.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

Lol now I'm tempted to make a Pt. 2 Avatar Bet thread. You doubters sure bout this one???

Yes. ~40 million people purchased next gen consoles with very little next gen content available after nearly 2 years.

I hope the attention to detail in TLOU 1 remake is as immaculately detailed as this guy's face tattoos

-sKF-ukl_400x400.jpg

Umbasaborne

Banned
Thats my biggest issue, i have no doubt that it will be polished and beautiful, but it feels entirely unnecessary. Im not a fan of this trend of so many remakes and rereleases lately tbh

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Thats my biggest issue, i have no doubt that it will be polished and beautiful, but it feels entirely unnecessary. Im not a fan of this trend of so many remakes and rereleases lately tbh
Unnecessary is pushing it. This is a two gen old game that could have pushed new boundaries and brought enhancements simply not possible on the PS3 or even the PS4. The CPU and SSD/IO improvements in the PS5 alone could have provided some true innovation in physics, AI, destruction and level design. The fact that they are essentially making a PS4 game is besides the point, but had they targeted the PS5 specs, this game would've felt completely different from not just TLOU but also TLOU2.

Id argue that even bringing the massive combat and AI upgrades over from TLOU2 would make it pretty fun to replay TLOU. Of course, the level design is likely remaining identical which will hurt the overall gameplay compared to the much bigger TLOU2 levels, but id love to go around stomping people while playing as Joel.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The first game with the second game's gameplay is how it probably should be played. In my opinion $70 is too much to ask considering this is the third console it's been released on. It's probably only worth that if you've never played it before. At the end of the day just don't pay that much if you think it's too expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom