• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bend Studio animator Robert Morrison responds to The Last of Us 1 Remake regarding 'Cash Grab'

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSfox

Imagine the outrage in 2024 when Bluepoint releases BB remake on PS5/PC. People are gonna be mad!
Bloodborne doesn't need a remake, a 4K/60 fps remaster for PS5 that's a win for sure, game still looks awesome, but remaking this game in this day of age is dumb AF, this trend of wanting remakes of games that ain't that old is so weird... let's remake GOW 2018 also while we're at it... Sounds like some people don't play games, but play graphics.

geary

The question shouldnt be is this a cash grab but is this something that needs to exist and are the resources spent creating it better soent elsewhere
Most money earned with the least resource spent. Business 101…What is bothering is the fact they act like this is not about ROI, it’s about the game quality. How can they justify the price, when theres not budget for story, asset creation and mechanics. Assets and mechanics might be refined, but are not design and developed from scratch.

KWAB

Banned
No matter how you spin it this remake has a worse value than the original release. For $60 you had single player and multiplayer, this time it's $70 and the multiplayer will be sold separately for another $70 most likely. For Part II you could kinda justify it because the campaign is twice as long than the original but here it just sucks.

H . R . 2

It's not about if the remake is gonna be polished or not, the issue here is that the game ain't that old, and still hold to this day, so didn't really need a remake, just imagine the disaster if this becomes a trend and so every game will be remade every 9 years after its release...
it will come out around the same time as the show and it will sell a ton nonetheless
for the new management at Sony money and safety is primary and creativity and novelty secondary

mdkirby

I'll never understand the argument that $70 is too much or in any way outrageous. It's bonkers to me. An N64 cartridge at the end of the 90's was $70, with inflation that would be $125 in today's money. Games have become VASTLY more expensive to make, and yet are comparatively not 30-40% cheaper at retail price. Steep sales were also very rare, with games usually retaining value for much longer

If you can't afford the $70 that is fine, nobody said you need to buy a game on release, and we're now living in an age where gaming is far far far cheaper than it has ever been for those on a budget. Get gamespass or playstation plus and show some patience. Gaming for bang for buck these day is one of the cheapest hobbies going.

The level of entitlement from some sections of the community these days is insanely toxic. I cant work out if its broadly a GenZ problem, or if its stealth shilling for gamepass.

Whitecrow

Banned
The problem is, this remake is not for the players or the fans. ND did not care about things like that, like we already saw with tlou2.

The remaster looks and plays fine. But ND wanted both games to be retckonned as one game with two parts, like FF7 R, and wanted them both to look similar.

This is a project for their portfolio, not for us.

Ellery

The problem is, this remake is not for the players or the fans. ND did not care about things like that, like we already saw with tlou2.

The remaster looks and plays fine. But ND wanted both games to be retckonned as one game with two parts, like FF7 R, and wanted them both to look similar.

I see it completely different than that. Together with God of War 2018 I felt like TLOU2 was the game that respected me as a player the most.
It wasn't another game to press some buttons and get dopamine triggers from flashy animations and collecting loot, but a heavy hitting emotional masterpiece.

I am asking what it is, see my previous post. So whats different with it?

Last edited:

Lupin25

As it stands, it appears as a cash grab right now but until we see more evidence of gameplay improvements, we really can’t completely say one way or the other.

From my understanding, the fact that this remake exists is something that was green lit under former management, and then newly promoted Herman Hulst at the time was actually the one to cut the production budget on the game (which was always next-gen only from the beginning, but was worked on simultaneously alongside TLOU2).

Obviously these publishers are sticking to their guns though when it comes to this next-gen entry price point. I’ve only bought a few games (HFW, GT7, etc) I’ve deemed worthy so far upon release for $70, and honesty… I’m not sure this would be one of them, yet.

Just continue to vote with your wallet, gameshare, buy secondhand, or wait for sales to help really show Sony how you value these remakes (and on a lesser scale $50 remasters like the Thieves Collection).

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I see it completely different than that. Together with God of War 2018 I felt like TLOU2 was the game that respected me as a player the most.
It wasn't another game to press some buttons and get dopamine triggers from flashy animations and collecting loot, but a heavy hitting emotional masterpiece.

Sounds good what they poss gonna add. How will it change the game though? The first version of the game was bought by masses of people so who is this version aimed at? Especially at the high price point

I look forward to seeing it

Last edited:

Ellery

Sounds good what they poss gonna add. How will it change the game though? The first version of the game was bought by masses of people so who is this version aimed at? Especially at the high price point

I look forward to seeing it

I am looking forward to see how all of this is going to affect the game as well. I trust them to nail the essence of the game and deliver a better experience than the old game in terms of QoL. TLOU2 was the pinnacle and all of those improvements including gameplay, controls, accessibility, feedback etc. probably make it into TLOU Part 1 PS as well.

Personally I think the game is aimed at people that just recently joined the PS eco system with a PS5, people that are fans of what Naughty Dog is doing, speedrunners, people that never played it before and would prefer the best possible version to start the journey, and of course PC gamers that never had the chance to play The Last of Us before and now get a version that is worthy of modern beast PCs.

The price point is relative. I think it is high, but I also think the price for Demon's Souls remake was high even though I bought it and loved it. I also loved Resident Evil REMAKE on the gamecube which was released just 6 years after the original Resident Evil.

I am trying to be a bit more objective about this discussion since there is a lot of ideology fuel grievances from people that think very ill of modern Naughty Dog and especially Neil Druckmann.

Whatever is going to happen in september I am ready to take the L if it turns out to be what some haters are predicting it to be or I will be happily playing this game on the back of silenced trolls.

and then newly promoted Herman Hulst at the time was actually the one to cut the production budget on the game (which was always next-gen only from the beginning, but was worked on simultaneously alongside TLOU2).
Didn't hear about this part. Interesting.. wonder what they had in mind before HH cut their budget?

Hunnybun

I'll never understand the argument that $70 is too much or in any way outrageous. It's bonkers to me. An N64 cartridge at the end of the 90's was $70, with inflation that would be $125 in today's money. Games have become VASTLY more expensive to make, and yet are comparatively not 30-40% cheaper at retail price. Steep sales were also very rare, with games usually retaining value for much longer

If you can't afford the $70 that is fine, nobody said you need to buy a game on release, and we're now living in an age where gaming is far far far cheaper than it has ever been for those on a budget. Get gamespass or playstation plus and show some patience. Gaming for bang for buck these day is one of the cheapest hobbies going.

The level of entitlement from some sections of the community these days is insanely toxic. I cant work out if its broadly a GenZ problem, or if its stealth shilling for gamepass.

All media has gone way cheaper. The reduction in the cost of music must be an order of magnitude more than the reduction in games, for example.

I don't think it's so clear that Sony is justified in charging €80 etc for a game. They're already cutting out a lot of costs by selling direct digital copies.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I am looking forward to see how all of this is going to affect the game as well. I trust them to nail the essence of the game and deliver a better experience than the old game in terms of QoL. TLOU2 was the pinnacle and all of those improvements including gameplay, controls, accessibility, feedback etc. probably make it into TLOU Part 1 PS as well.

Personally I think the game is aimed at people that just recently joined the PS eco system with a PS5, people that are fans of what Naughty Dog is doing, speedrunners, people that never played it before and would prefer the best possible version to start the journey, and of course PC gamers that never had the chance to play The Last of Us before and now get a version that is worthy of modern beast PCs.

The price point is relative. I think it is high, but I also think the price for Demon's Souls remake was high even though I bought it and loved it. I also loved Resident Evil REMAKE on the gamecube which was released just 6 years after the original Resident Evil.

I am trying to be a bit more objective about this discussion since there is a lot of ideology fuel grievances from people that think very ill of modern Naughty Dog and especially Neil Druckmann.

Whatever is going to happen in september I am ready to take the L if it turns out to be what some haters are predicting it to be or I will be happily playing this game on the back of silenced trolls.

In terms of people joining the PS eco system i would say that 99% of PS5 owners currently will all be hardcore PS owners anyway.

i could be wrong in this so happy for you to tell me if i am, when they released the first gameplay demo of LOU2 the gameplay they showed or at least AI differed to the final game? Maybe it will get to that level.

i am sure they will put out and awesome looking game and look forward to seeing it. I currently dont have a PS5 yet only have a PS4 so will have to wait a bit yet

Hunnybun

As it stands, it appears as a cash grab right now but until we see more evidence of gameplay improvements, we really can’t completely say one way or the other.

From my understanding, the fact that this remake exists is something that was green lit under former management, and then newly promoted Herman Hulst at the time was actually the one to cut the production budget on the game (which was always next-gen only from the beginning, but was worked on simultaneously alongside TLOU2).

Obviously these publishers are sticking to their guns though when it comes to this next-gen entry price point. I’ve only bought a few games (HFW, GT7, etc) I’ve deemed worthy so far upon release for $70, and honesty… I’m not sure this would be one of them, yet.

Just continue to vote with your wallet, gameshare, buy secondhand, or wait for sales to help really show Sony how you value these remakes (and on a lesser scale $50 remasters like the Thieves Collection).

"Voting with your wallet" must be one of the most bullshit concepts ever.

These games sell millions of copies. One unsold copy is a drop in the ocean. Sony will never know the difference. Much better to buy the game and tweet at them loudly and repeatedly.

Ellery

In terms of people joining the PS eco system i would say that 99% of PS5 owners currently will all be hardcore PS owners anyway.

i could be wrong in this so happy for you to tell me if i am, when they released the first gameplay demo of LOU2 the gameplay they showed or at least AI differed to the final game? Maybe it will get to that level.

i am sure they will put out and awesome looking game and look forward to seeing it. I currently dont have a PS5 yet only have a PS4 so will have to wait a bit yet

Well I only can offer anecdotal evidence, but it was actually Horizon on the PC that made many of my PC gamer friends consider buying a PS5. So I know 3 people personally that were PC only and in addition to that they also bought a PS5.
Kinda funny since I don't like Horizon and think it is another AC game in Sony colors with an open world that doesn't feel right to me, but that is just personal taste.

Topher

Gold Member

Portfolio? Naughty Dog doesn't need to beef up their portfolio, dude.

Apple and Sony fans are the same. They will gobble up anything their favorite companies launch.

Well if you are going to generalize like that then include Microsoft and Nintendo. They have fans that "gobble up anything" they launch as well.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Well I only can offer anecdotal evidence, but it was actually Horizon on the PC that made many of my PC gamer friends consider buying a PS5. So I know 3 people personally that were PC only and in addition to that they also bought a PS5.
Kinda funny since I don't like Horizon and think it is another AC game in Sony colors with an open world that doesn't feel right to me, but that is just personal taste.

I own Horizon and it just didn’t feel right to me. I would say the same of God of war, i dont gel with the game play. Do not get me wrong its one of the best looking games i seen but to me personally it feels repetitive but that’s just me.

i liked LOU but haven’t got round to playing the second yet, mainly because my Xbox is where i do most gaming.

Camreezie

Lol now I'm tempted to make a Pt. 2 Avatar Bet thread. You doubters sure bout this one???

Yes. ~40 million people purchased next gen consoles with very little next gen content available after nearly 2 years.

They can already play the last of us remastered on their next gen machine

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Organising a boycott by hundred of thousands of people isn't exactly easy though.

agreed but it can be done and look what happens when people do, games like cyberpunk the developer had to stand up and take notice. Yes that was for a different reason but it can be done.

i wonder if a lot of people bought it and thought it wasn’t different enough ( not saying it wont be) asked for refunds would it get pulled from the store to

Flutta

Banned
Killzone 2 & Bloodborne deserves a remake more than this game. You can tell why they chose to remake TLOU instead, greedy bastards. I would buy those games for 70$ each in a heartbeat . Seems like Jimbo doesnt want me money, oh well.

Hunnybun

agreed but it can be done and look what happens when people do, games like cyberpunk the developer had to stand up and take notice. Yes that was for a different reason but it can be done.

i wonder if a lot of people bought it and thought it wasn’t different enough ( not saying it wont be) asked for refunds would it get pulled from the store to

It can't be done and it would be pointless trying.

If people want to protest they should organise some sort of social media campaign. You can probably be effective with that with less than a thousand people.

Whitecrow

Banned
I wouldn't know. I don't know him personally.
Obviously this is what its looks like to me. Since he got in charge he is 'using' ND to fulfill his dreams.

There was controversy already in Uncharted 4 development with Amy Hennig leaving.

There was controversy with tlou2 and Bruce Straley also leaving.

ND now is only Druckmanns choices going rampant with no way to moderate them.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Obviously this is what its looks like to me. Since he got in charge he is 'using' ND to fulfill his dreams.

There was controversy already in Uncharted 4 development with Amy Hennig leaving.

There was controversy with tlou2 and Bruce Straley also leaving.

ND now is only Druckmanns choices going rampant with no way to moderate then.

Fanboy rumor mill nonsense is so common and so often they fill huge gaps in these stories with made up bullshit and call them "controversies". I'm not into those games but you can believe what you want.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
Fanboy rumor mill nonsense is so common and so often they fill huge gaps in these stories with made up bullshit and call them "controversies". I'm not into those games but you can believe what you want.
Yeah. I choose to belive that someone that puts out a false trailer with a scene featuring a dead character is up to no good.

Bloodborne doesn't need a remake, a 4K/60 fps remaster for PS5 that's a win for sure, game still looks awesome, but remaking this game in this day of age is dumb AF, this trend of wanting remakes of games that ain't that old is so weird... let's remake GOW 2018 also while we're at it... Sounds like some people don't play games, but play graphics.
Bloodborne very much needs more a remake than TLOU1. On PS5 Bloodborne is still 1080p30fps with frame-pacing while TLOU1 is locked 1800p60fps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom