• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Simmons going to HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/bill-simmons-lands-mega-deal-808227?utm_source=twitter

@richarddeitsch
Bill Simmons will be hosting a weekly television show for HBO starting in 2016. Details to follow later today.

As The Hollywood Reporter first reported in an HBO cover story in mid-June, the ESPN cast-off will make HBO his exclusive TV home. At the premium cable network, Simmons will launch his own talk show in 2016. The weekly show, which will air on HBO's linear service as well as HBO Go and HBO Now, will be both topical and spontaneous, with stories and guests across the sports and cultural landscape.

As part of the multi-year, multi-platform pact, which begins in October, Simmons will also have a production deal to produce content for the network and its digital platforms, delivering video, podcasts and features as he did at ESPN. Additionally, the long-time sports personality will consult for HBO Sports, working closely with HBO Sports president Ken Hershman on non-boxing-related programming, including the development of shows and documentary films for the network.

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/623889631180816385

I wonder if HBO would be capable/willing to outright buy Grantland.

Jonm1010

Banned
I wonder if this is the start of an broader HBO sports network. Like what they are building with Vice.

I'd imagine it won't be long til Simmons crafts another online hub and podcast.

Edit: I see the Op updated and I guess my hunch was right. Sounds great!

This was the obvious fit for him and what he wants to do. Grantland Uncensored is something that hugely appeals to him.

The big question is how much Grantland talent/affiliates is he going to be able to take off ESPN with him. Can he get Jalen Rose periodically? Can he get Zach Lowe, one of the premier Xs and Os basketball writers, out from under the WWL?

Re:Buy Grantland.

It would be nice to save some of the talent they have but what would they do with them? HBO doesnt seem like the place for a bunch of bloggers and journalists.

gazele

Banned
Woah

Hope he can get as many grantlanders as possible preferably: Zach Lowe, Chris Ryan, Andrew Sharp and Jacoby

Gonzalez

Banned
28465-Jerry-Seinfeld-leaves-gif-yxqm.gif

jtb

Banned
Re:Buy Grantland.

It would be nice to save some of the talent they have but what would they do with them? HBO doesnt seem like the place for a bunch of bloggers and journalists.

Agreed, but neither is ESPN lol. It would always be something of a prestige project regardless of who owns it. Vice and HBO have a partnership, would be cool if Grantland and HBO did too—especially if the ship is sinking without Bill, as everyone seems to claim.

I hope he remains as prolific as he was at ESPN though (in terms of video/audio stuff). I worry we may see a steep decline in podcasts and content.

As for Simmons on TV, he is terrible in the format they had him on that NBA show, but on something more relaxed he can be great. His podcasts were basically talk show-esque interviews (and were also filmed so you could watch them) and most of them were fantastic. Same thing with his Grantland Basketball show. Put him in the right format. He's not good on some shitty, structured pre-game type show which is what ESPN tried to shove him into.

As part of the multi-year, multi-platform pact, which begins in October, Simmons will also have a production deal to produce content for the network and its digital platforms, delivering video, podcasts and features as he did at ESPN.

Awesome. And I'm sure he's gonna tear Real Sports down and rebuild it from the ground up.

Gigglepoo

Wait, so we're going to have to wait until next year to get another Simmons' podcast? I was honestly expecting him to start doing that again in time for the football season.

jtb

Banned
I hope he remains as prolific as he was at ESPN though (in terms of video/audio stuff). I worry we may see a steep decline in podcasts and content.

I think we'll see a rise, to be honest. Simmons' writing was already the worst part of Grantland and now that he no longer has a natural place to publish it, I imagine he'll be forced to do more multi-media stuff. You don't go to HBO just to write a column, whether in print or weekly TV form.

Agreed, but neither is ESPN lol. It would always be something of a prestige project regardless of who owns it. Vice and HBO have a partnership, would be cool if Grantland and HBO did too—especially if the ship is sinking without Bill, as everyone seems to claim.

I would love to see some of the Grantland staff rescued.

Have Greenwald and Chris Ryan do the Watch the Thrones pod on HBO!!

I would love to see some of the Grantland staff rescued.

Have Greenwald and Chris Ryan do the Watch the Thrones pod on HBO!!

Yes. Especially Ryan. Off the top of my head, I'd bring over:
- Ryan
- Greenwald
- Lambert
- Rembert
- Jacoby (this has to be a lock, which sucks, because what the fuck happens to Jalen's podcast now?)

Also, we get the Bill we deserve.
CKiC81tUYAEIdNB.jpg

It will interesting to see what he can do with HBO docs. Also, I hope he re-creates something similar to the Grantland Basketball Hour.

boxter432

great writer when talking combo of sports and entertainment (aka his old page 2 sports guy stuff) actual sports opinions aren't great and his fking voice is brutal.

Cagey

Banned

HBO isn't subtle:

becoming one of its Emmy®-winning executive producers, in addition to ushering in the network’s presence in podcasting with his highly successful podcast “The B.S. Report,” which debuted in 2007 and featured such guests as President Barack Obama, Jimmy Kimmel, Chris Rock and Lena Dunham, to name a few.

Lena Dunham. Totally on that level.

jtb

Banned
Also, re: Grantland, Deadspin's piece on them from a week ago.

http://deadspin.com/no-one-knows-what-espn-is-doing-to-grantland-1718037323

Grantland launched in June 2011, and the summer is generally a dead period in hiring. As the site staffed up, a lot of hires were made in the fall. When renewing, ESPN often rounds off, neatly ending contracts on at the end of the year for accounting purposes. What this means for the site is that a lot of contracts will be up this fall and winter.

Simmons’s biggest, most inspired hire was Wesley Morris, the onetime columnist at The Boston Globe who won the Pulitzer Prize in 2012 for criticism. Morris’s contract is up near the end of the year, and according to sources within ESPN and elsewhere, he is in serious talks to leave Grantland for The New York Times. Other staffers are looking for new opportunities as well.

Skipper has made a lot of sounds about the future of Grantland, the loudest of them claims that the site would be unaffected by Simmons’s departure. That’s bullshit, of course, because Simmons—who for all his flaws had a good eye for talented writers, the sense to leave them alone, and the power to protect them—isn’t there anymore. The shame, for both the site’s readers and contributors, is that whether at its worst or best or somewhere in between, Grantland has been willing to address sports and the real world and how they interact, and able to get things wrong in service of figuring out how to get them right. Grantland is going to change. Given ESPN’s track record, it will likely be for the worse.

Agreed. I only know him from TV, so i'm wondering how he's built such a following. Thought it was just his rebellion on ESPN that's gained him so much support.

Hes had one of the top sports podcasts for over 10 years. This was after he gained a huge following from the Page 2 section of ESPNs website.

His schtick has worn thin with me over the years but he is an incredible puppeteer. Hires great talent and produces great content.

Gigglepoo

Probably a non-compete clause in his ESPN contract

Originally, his ESPN contract was up in September, though. I'm holding out hope that something will happen before next year on the podcast front.

EDIT -- Reading the press release, his HBO contract starts in October. And it mentions video podcasts. Hmmmm....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom