• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne finally has it's hooks in me.

Woggleman

A few years ago and I tried Bloodborne and did not care for it. It just seemed to not be my thing and it didn't help that I didn't know what I was supposed to and where I was supposed to go. It just was not my cup of tea. After that I decided to give Elden Ring a try and I ended up loving it. It had it's hooks in me from the start and being that I finally beat the game two weeks ago I decided to give Bloodborne another try now that I know how Souls games are supposed to work and I am loving it. I get it now and I know how to get the most from the game. Also what is the best build before I start spending a lot of echos?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
giphy.gif

Bloodborne was my first From game. It took me ages to get into it, bounced off it,.and then it got its hooks into me too. I almost wish it wasn't my first From game. I think I would have appreciated those earlier levels more, for what they were, rather than getting frustrated.

A few years ago and I tried Bloodborne and did not care for it. It just seemed to not be my thing and it didn't help that I didn't know what I was supposed to and where I was supposed to go. It just was not my cup of tea. After that I decided to give Elden Ring a try and I ended up loving it. It had it's hooks in me from the start and being that I finally beat the game two weeks ago I decided to give Bloodborne another try now that I know how Souls games are supposed to work and I am loving it. I get it now and I know how to get the most from the game. Also what is the best build before I start spending a lot of echos?
There is no best build but I would caution against Tonitrus and Boom Hammer builds. You might want to research stat bonuses of your end game weapon of choice as there is no way to redistribute stats. One really basic, but strong build involves pumping strength and dexterity equally to maximize Ludwig's Holy Blade (a trusty longsword and greatsword combo that has the highest scaling bonus). Going for a bloodtinge or arcane oriented builds is a rough start, but becomes op halfway through with the right weapon and blood gems. Also, be prepared to hit the damage output ceiling on Threaded Cane early on if you go that direction but know its range is fantastic for abusing environments and enemy AI (also arcane scaling of C helps with targeting elemental weaknesses with the right gems).

Last edited:

Mozzarella

Unlike Elden Ring, Bloodborne has extremely low and limited build variety, you are going to be choosing your build based on the weapon mostly, so either DEX or STR focused builds, the rest of the points you dump into health and stamina, thats literally it, very simple builds.
You reach soft cap for DEX or STR in 40 if im not mistaken, maybe 40 for STR and 50 for DEX.
Vitality should be 40, Stamina 30 which is called endurance.
The rest of the skills are arcane and gun builds, both are boring and not worth it for a first playthrough.
Arcane builds are awful because the arcane tools are mostly useless with about half of them being boring or pointless, and all the tools in the game are 12!!
Gun builds are mediocre, better than arcane imo but still not reliable as melee, its good if you build it around being a hybrid, but if you go through 20 hours playthrough shooting with guns you will get bored, it doesnt have gunplay, just lock enemy, press attack from far away, watch damage number, the only thing to manage is resources.

So yeah no cool build variety, just pick STR or DEX and play towards this path, this way you have weapons, some are DEX based and some are STR based, you will have a collection of excellent weaponry to use, that is the real variety of the game, the weapons, they are not much but they are mostly unique, each playthrough you can master up to 3 different weapons, thats because the resource upgrades, or maybe you go out of your way to grind, in which case you can upgrade all, but the last upgrade is limited so to you will pick 2 weapons to reach the ultimate form anyway.

I prefer DEX builds but both are pretty good, if you want my advice pick the opposite of your Elden Ring build and go with it.
The game is good for its levels, lore, enemies, atmosphere and combat not for its rpg mechanics.

NikuNashi

I wish my eyes could deal with the slide show but unfortunately I get sick spinning the camera. Once a 60fps Vrs releases I will be on it again.

Unlike Elden Ring, Bloodborne has extremely low and limited build variety, you are going to be choosing your build based on the weapon mostly, so either DEX or STR focused builds, the rest of the points you dump into health and stamina, thats literally it, very simple builds.
You reach soft cap for DEX or STR in 40 if im not mistaken, maybe 40 for STR and 50 for DEX.
Vitality should be 40, Stamina 30 which is called endurance.
The rest of the skills are arcane and gun builds, both are boring and not worth it for a first playthrough.
Arcane builds are awful because the arcane tools are mostly useless with about half of them being boring or pointless, and all the tools in the game are 12!!
Gun builds are mediocre, better than arcane imo but still not reliable as melee, its good if you build it around being a hybrid, but if you go through 20 hours playthrough shooting with guns you will get bored, it doesnt have gunplay, just lock enemy, press attack from far away, watch damage number, the only thing to manage is resources.

So yeah no cool build variety, just pick STR or DEX and play towards this path, this way you have weapons, some are DEX based and some are STR based, you will have a collection of excellent weaponry to use, that is the real variety of the game, the weapons, they are not much but they are mostly unique, each playthrough you can master up to 3 different weapons, thats because the resource upgrades, or maybe you go out of your way to grind, in which case you can upgrade all, but the last upgrade is limited so to you will pick 2 weapons to reach the ultimate form anyway.

I prefer DEX builds but both are pretty good, if you want my advice pick the opposite of your Elden Ring build and go with it.
The game is good for its levels, lore, enemies, atmosphere and combat not for its rpg mechanics.
1. Hunter's Tools like Executioner's Gloves and Accursed Brew with high arcane can erase bosses. The S arcane-scaling Kos Parasite is one of the most fun weapons in the game and does hella damage.

2. Simon's Bowblade and Chikage are both fun, high damage, bloodtinge-scaling weapons in their two handed form. There is a Cannon build with Whirligig Saw glitch that is possibly the most OP in the entire game!

Last edited:
Not much variety in builds, so I'd recommend a pure strength build because of the weapons.

Don't mean to hijack the post, but as I'm finishing the DLC and my first playthrough now, I have to say that Bloodborne is the worst souls game by far. Unless you really like the horror theme, which I don't, it offers less of everything that the other games have, including build variety. But it's still a very fun and addictive game.

Shifty1897

It took me a few false starts too, OP. But man, once you're in, you are all the way in. I went through the whole game basically with the gravestone great sword, been meaning to play it again with a different build.

Not much variety in builds, so I'd recommend a pure strength build because of the weapons.

Don't mean to hijack the post, but as I'm finishing the DLC and my first playthrough now, I have to say that Bloodborne is the worst souls game by far. Unless you really like the horror theme, which I don't, it offers less of everything that the other games have, including build variety. But it's still a very fun and addictive game.
Most of the builds in this game have different timing, damage patterns, charged two-handed attacks, and range (two even have different movement), which is more variety than most Souls games offer.

Most of the builds in this game have different timing, damage patterns, charged two-handed attacks, and range (two even have different movement), which is more variety than most Souls games offer.
You mean the weapons, not the builds. Yes, the weapons themselves offer more variety, but considering there're 26 weapons only (and 120 in Dark Souls and 308 in Elden Ring), it's still a lot less in terms of variety

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sure, thats one avenue of investigation. Or FROM could stop being absolutely technically fucking incompetent and upgrade their engine from a ps1 standard. Either might work.
I played games like Drakengard 3 which had absolutely atrocious framerate but never made me sick......either people exaggerating or they actually have to go see their doctor.

Stuart360

Amazing game. I wasnt super keen on it at first as all my Souls playthroughs are based on having a shield, which i would use a lot more than rolling and dodging. Once i accepted that change it just grew on me and its def in the top 3 of Froms Souls style games.

I'm also convinced a remake is in the works, and probably has been for a good while now. I just cant see any other reason why Sony would be ignoring the literal years of fans asking for a remaster,, a 60fps mode, a PC version, etc. Unless there is some licensing problem with the game that none of us know about.

apowhungo

do yall like it more or less than sekiro?
never liked a from title and didnt like sekiro at first but stuck with it and its def one of my favs ever (going for the real ending now after the quick one).
also non 60fps games give me a headache so I might skip

Stuart360

do yall like it more or less than sekiro?
never liked a from title and didnt like sekiro at first but stuck with it and its def one of my favs ever (going for the real ending now after the quick one).
also non 60fps games give me a headache so I might skip
Waaay more than Sekiro. I'm still not keen on Sekiro's combat style even though i have finished the game twice.
There is a lot of cool stuff in Sekiro but its my least fave of Froms Souls style games.

Lokaum D+

No thank you, I like Bloodborne's artstyle too much to see it change by Bluepoints crappy design like they did with Demons Souls remake.

Remaster or 60FPS patch more than enough.
u see, put the disk on or download the OG version and play it,you are not obligated to buy or play a new version and newer players are not obligated to play the old 30fps mess.

everyone ll be happy

fersnake

that happend to me with Dark Souls 1, tried to play it on pc but it was a mess, till a modder fix it i finally beat it and got hooked with souls games.

Mozzarella

1. Hunter's Tools like Executioner's Gloves and Accursed Brew with high arcane can erase bosses. The S arcane-scaling Kos Parasite is one of the most fun weapons in the game and does hella damage.

2. Simon's Bowblade and Chikage are both fun, high damage, bloodtinge-scaling weapons in their two handed form. There is a Cannon build with Whirligig Saw glitch that is possibly the most OP in the entire game!
They are boring to use, the tools are just like spells, imagine you are walking with fireball and homing soulmass and spamming them all time in the game, plus you have to go out of your way to put points into arcane and spend your bullets on the tools, so you are also giving up on parries most of the time.
It wares off quickly and becomes boring especially when you realize melee is just way better since you will be having more fun changing weapons too.
As i said bloodtinge weapons as a hybrid is alright but you are essentially playing for the weapons not for the build, making an exclusive bloodtinge builds is either not viable or simply not fun enough, you will be spamming long range gun shots all the time, the best way is to mix it with melee, thus making it not a real build variety and a thing for weapons.
Yeah whirligig is the most fun weapon but it doesnt scale with bloodtinge so its not about the build, the glitch breaks the game and makes it simply unfun, if you like standing there and doing infinite damage to the boss you might as well skip it, whats the point, where is the fun.

You mean the weapons, not the builds. Yes, the weapons themselves offer more variety, but considering there're 26 weapons only (and 120 in Dark Souls and 308 in Elden Ring), it's still a lot less in terms of variety
The weapon variety is still the lowest in the series, Dark Souls and Elden Ring both have way more weapon variety.
Bloodborne weapons are more unique, not varied.
Also most BB weapons are just 2 basic Souls weapon, only few are weird like the whirlgig.
Hunter axe is simply an axe and a greataxe.
Ludwig holy sword is a straight sword and great sword.
Kirkhammer is a mace and a great mace.
So you simply just press a button to make change weapons, thats like putting a mace in slot 1 and a great mace in slot 2, congrats now you have the weapon.

Elden Ring has soo many weapons and thats without the DLC, sure some overlap but to say BB has more variety is straight up false.
And we dont need to talk about the magic system.
BB has 12 tools, aka magic, half of them are lame.
ER has more than i can count, a lot of them are cool and unique, the variety is through the roof. Magic build in ER and Souls is actually playable and fun.
I did a run in DS3 as a pyromancer, it was the most fun run i did.
DemonScar, with blackflame magic, lighting bolts, rapport and fireball. Dark lothric sword in hand for melee, chime for buffs, it was extremely versatile, it was the run where i realized im using the gameplay to its maximum potential, you feel you have tons of tools on your hand to deal with everything. Compared that to my first run in the game where i simply had dark sword, shield and roll roll R1 R1 it was night and day difference.

Souls/BB/ER issue is that magic builds and alternative playstyles are bad in NG, but they shine in NG+, since you collect the tools, well ER first run did it the best, but still NG+ allows for more stuff.

Last edited:
They are boring to use, the tools are just like spells, imagine you are walking with fireball and homing soulmass and spamming them all time in the game, plus you have to go out of your way to put points into arcane and spend your bullets on the tools, so you are also giving up on parries most of the time.
It wares off quickly and becomes boring especially when you realize melee is just way better since you will be having more fun changing weapons too.
As i said bloodtinge weapons as a hybrid is alright but you are essentially playing for the weapons not for the build, making an exclusive bloodtinge builds is either not viable or simply not fun enough, you will be spamming long range gun shots all the time, the best way is to mix it with melee, thus making it not a real build variety and a thing for weapons.
Yeah whirligig is the most fun weapon but it doesnt scale with bloodtinge so its not about the build, the glitch breaks the game and makes it simply unfun, if you like standing there and doing infinite damage to the boss you might as well skip it, whats the point, where is the fun.

The weapon variety is still the lowest in the series, Dark Souls and Elden Ring both have way more weapon variety.
Also most BB weapons are just 2 basic Souls weapon, only few are weird like the whirlgig.
So you simply just press a button to make change weapons, thats like putting a mace in slot 1 and a great mace in slot 2, congrats now you have the weapon.

Elden Ring has soo many weapons and thats without the DLC, sure some overlap but to say BB has more variety is straight up false.
ER has more than i can count, a lot of them are cool and unique, the variety is through the roof. Magic build in ER and Souls is actually playable and fun.
DemonScar, with blackflame magic, lighting bolts, rapport and fireball. Dark lothric sword in hand for melee, chime for buffs, it was extremely versatile, it was the run where i realized im using the gameplay to its maximum potential, you feel you have tons of tools on your hand to deal with everything. Compared that to my first run in the game where i simply had dark sword, shield and roll roll R1 R1 it was night and day difference.

Souls/BB/ER issue is that magic builds and alternative playstyles are bad in NG, but they shine in NG+, since you collect the tools, well ER first run did it the best, but still NG+ allows for more stuff.
Yes, that’s what I meant. Though the weapons themselves offer a bit more variety with the two types + extra moves when alternating, the arsenal is too restricted compared to the other souls. Not to mention the lack (almost) of bows, arrows, bombs, shields, buffs and so many other items we use all the time in souls combat.

I liked Bloodborne, but was surprised by how simple the gameplay is compared to the others.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I have around 9000 hours in. The only reason I don't play it right now is because I no longer have a properly functional PS4 controller. I went with Wii U Pro controllers. These fucking things are so durable, with my only complaint being the sketchy Dpad, but it's not too bad. When I get around to it, I'm going to fire it up and do some BL4 NG+6 Laurence for a good derust session.

To me, it's also one of the better MP Souls games. MP in high tier chalices is fun AF.

pqueue

still can't get into it. after 3 years. even after three different restarts.

not a huge Souls fan, but I did like the first one, but found 2 and 3 meh.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

When I first played it on release the loading times were so atrocious I nearly put the game down. Unfortunately I was at a really busy point in my life and although I loved the game I never finished it.

digdug2

I have 384 hours and my wife has 544. All I can say is explore every nook and cranny, check out all of the different questlines, and for your first time playing, level up your character ASAP because From Soft pulls no punches from the start.

zeldaring

Banned
I can only imagine how successful the game would have been had they not made the stupid decision to make players grind for blood viles I actually quit the game for a good 2 years before grinding getting punished then Falling in love. My first fromsoftware game.

The best thing is to focus on vitality points first because you get 40% of your life back when you drink one blood vial.

Staying alive and finding the right strat for each foes is the best strategy in Bloodborne so focusing on your vitality when leveling up is kinda the easy mode.

About the build for me the best was the Axe + strength build.

Last edited:

kevin_trinh

Magic build or not, you still build to your weapon in ER/Souls, coz ur spell scale with weapons, so it the same as stat build in BB.
Agree that build variety is better in ER and Soul, but the unique weapon mechanic of BB is second to none. The 2 in 1 weapon make the player feel fking amazing, and you can switch them during combat and make a combo with it. The animation of switching weapon is cool too.

And you forgot the most important thing: the pace of combat in BB is much faster and still fair. It's make your brain produce more Adrenalin than ever.

Elysium44

Banned
still can't get into it. after 3 years. even after three different restarts.

not a huge Souls fan, but I did like the first one, but found 2 and 3 meh.

I have never understood the appeal of these type of games. I wish I did because most people seem to think they're amazing, so I feel like I'm missing out.

Top Bottom