• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne finally has it's hooks in me.

Regginator

I have never understood the appeal of these type of games. I wish I did because most people seem to think they're amazing, so I feel like I'm missing out.
Have you tried them? You seem to imply that you don't, so if you haven't, give them a shot. And if you have but still don't understand the appeal, that's cool, you don't have to like them.

As for what I do like about them: they tend to have responsive, weighty combat systems with usually good hitboxes (DS2 is kind of an odd duck because of some gameplay changes), an engaging yet obscure world-building which can be very straightforward and shallow if you don't care but deep and profound if you look for it, a melancholic and almost sad atmosphere because the games always take place in decaying empires and kingdoms that are mere shadows of their former selves, and more often than not the visual design is stunning. It's a complete package, peaked in 2015 and 2016 with Bloodborne and DS3 imo.

Knightime_X

Started new game #2535 today.
The moment I get burned out, they'll announce the remaster.
I'll be sad because I won't want to play...immediately.

Unless there's a pc port.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
Have you tried them? You seem to imply that you don't, so if you haven't, give them a shot. And if you have but still don't understand the appeal, that's cool, you don't have to like them.

As for what I do like about them: they tend to have responsive, weighty combat systems with usually good hitboxes (DS2 is kind of an odd duck because of some gameplay changes), an engaging yet obscure world-building which can be very straightforward and shallow if you don't care but deep and profound if you look for it, a melancholic and almost sad atmosphere because the games always take place in decaying empires and kingdoms that are mere shadows of their former selves, and more often than not the visual design is stunning. It's a complete package, peaked in 2015 and 2016 with Bloodborne and DS3 imo.

I played Demon's Souls on the PS3, couldn't get into it at all. And when I look at gameplay videos of Bloodborne, Elden Ring etc. I don't see why I would like those either. But when I see lots of people raving over them, I wish I did get it.

I'm like this with some popular games sometimes. Like Oblivion and Fallout 3. Tried to like those and didn't either, found them clunky and overrated.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
A few years ago and I tried Bloodborne and did not care for it. It just seemed to not be my thing and it didn't help that I didn't know what I was supposed to and where I was supposed to go. It just was not my cup of tea. After that I decided to give Elden Ring a try and I ended up loving it. It had it's hooks in me from the start and being that I finally beat the game two weeks ago I decided to give Bloodborne another try now that I know how Souls games are supposed to work and I am loving it. I get it now and I know how to get the most from the game. Also what is the best build before I start spending a lot of echos?
Now you are going to experience the good and great souls games ... dks 1 and 3 ... Bloodborne and the king sekiro ... you started with by far the worse and easier souls game of them all .... time for the big boys games .. go have fun!

Dks2 is not very good but is still better than ER

Regginator

I played Demon's Souls on the PS3, couldn't get into it at all. And when I look at gameplay videos of Bloodborne, Elden Ring etc. I don't see why I would like those either. But when I see lots of people raving over them, I wish I did get it.

I'm like this with some popular games sometimes. Like Oblivion and Fallout 3. Tried to like those and didn't either, found them clunky and overrated.

The original Demon's Souls is pretty clunky though, very experimental, and since then the series have grown quite a bit. If you want to give it another shot, I would recommend either Elden Ring (it's the newest and most refined), or Bloodborne and Dark Souls III.

And if not, then the series just isn't for you.

Arachnid

I had the same general arc with Dark Souls 1. I played it, got up to the Taurus Demon, and quit. Didn't really get it at the time.

I played Bloodborne years later, plated it, and caught the Soulsborne itch. Then I went back to Dark Souls and played through 1 and 2 to prep for 3. I loved them all. You really just need that one Soulsborne game to click with you, and then the rest will too.

You mean the weapons, not the builds. Yes, the weapons themselves offer more variety, but considering there're 26 weapons only (and 120 in Dark Souls and 308 in Elden Ring), it's still a lot less in terms of variety
No, with Caryll Runes and varied blood gems infused into the weapon as well as stats designed to best scale with the weapon they are very much builds!

thuGG_pl

I tried a while ago, but it was too hard for me. Plus the need of farming blood vials fo next run to the boss defeated my spirit.

Last edited:

stn

I'm also on my first play through, though I've played a bunch of the Souls-like games and I love them all. BB is excellent so far.

Nicktendo86

Had this on my ps4 for aaaages, tried a couple of times to get into it but can’t. This thread has given me the kick to give it another go.

Exoil

I finished the game, NG+, NG++ and NG+++ back in 2015.
Yesterday I finally got the platinum for it! Awesome game!

Kgkdjr.jpg

Mozzarella

Magic build or not, you still build to your weapon in ER/Souls, coz ur spell scale with weapons, so it the same as stat build in BB.
Agree that build variety is better in ER and Soul, but the unique weapon mechanic of BB is second to none. The 2 in 1 weapon make the player feel fking amazing, and you can switch them during combat and make a combo with it. The animation of switching weapon is cool too.

And you forgot the most important thing: the pace of combat in BB is much faster and still fair. It's make your brain produce more Adrenalin than ever.
I assume you didnt play a lot of PVP in them, i used to play PVP a lot during Dark Souls 3 launch, and it was super fun, basically i can do a 40/40 quality build and use most weapons, or i can use pure sorecery build and not use any weapon, you can basically do faith build and use lighting arrow with lets say a spear where you infuse it with a gem, so it will scale with your build not force your build to scale to it.
Ofcourse in Souls there is like 20% of weapons that demand you build according to them, since they take away a lot of skill points, an example for that is the Crucifix of the Mad King, which is a staff that has mostly dark build to it, but needs more stats to be allocated differently, this makes you go out of your way to change you build for it, those weapons also exist in ER.
But the difference here is that you can actually do Bleed build only in ER, not cater to single weapon, but do Bleed exclusively, you cast blood spells, wear blood armor, use blood powerups, blood weapons, you basically become lord of blood, and you roleplay in this build, you find many weapons and spells that fit into this.

This is not the case for Bloodborne, you can do STR and DEX in BB, thats it, the Arcane build is situational, you cant make realiable fun Arcane build only, it becomes boring and reptitive, why? because Arcane tools and spells are lame and limited, without the DLC they are only 9! with it 12! if im not mistaken.
Arcane and Bloodtinge builds as pure are not viable and even if they were they are still way lower than ER/Souls. BB gets its variety from the weapons, each weapons scale differently so you build according to it and master it in your playthrough.
As i said they are more situational and not core builds, the best way to build DEX in BB, is to go full DEX, the best way to build STR is to go full STR, but the best way to build bloodtinge or Arcane is to merge it with either STR or DEX. This proves the original point about build variety and rpg mechanics.

This isn't a deadly flaw or anything, but its a fact about the game, and as you put it, Bloodborne weapons are unique and very fun, and the combat is faster so yeah true on that.
I still love Bloodborne, but just like every other Souls game it has its shortcomings, it could be better, imagine we had more Arcane tools/weapons, they can go crazy with Arcane as a stat, but sadly its reduced to poor man's Souls spell system, hell it even has homing soulmass and fireball equivalents, its just poorly thought-out overall.
I played it 3 times to get all the ending and the plat back in 2017 and 2018, i would give it another run if it gets ported to PC, cause when i went back last year, i couldnt enjoy the frame stuttering.

Last edited:
They are boring to use, the tools are just like spells, imagine you are walking with fireball and homing soulmass and spamming them all time in the game, plus you have to go out of your way to put points into arcane and spend your bullets on the tools, so you are also giving up on parries most of the time.
It wares off quickly and becomes boring especially when you realize melee is just way better since you will be having more fun changing weapons too.
As i said bloodtinge weapons as a hybrid is alright but you are essentially playing for the weapons not for the build, making an exclusive bloodtinge builds is either not viable or simply not fun enough, you will be spamming long range gun shots all the time, the best way is to mix it with melee, thus making it not a real build variety and a thing for weapons.
Yeah whirligig is the most fun weapon but it doesnt scale with bloodtinge so its not about the build, the glitch breaks the game and makes it simply unfun, if you like standing there and doing infinite damage to the boss you might as well skip it, whats the point, where is the fun.

The weapon variety is still the lowest in the series, Dark Souls and Elden Ring both have way more weapon variety.
Bloodborne weapons are more unique, not varied.
Also most BB weapons are just 2 basic Souls weapon, only few are weird like the whirlgig.
Hunter axe is simply an axe and a greataxe.
Ludwig holy sword is a straight sword and great sword.
Kirkhammer is a mace and a great mace.
So you simply just press a button to make change weapons, thats like putting a mace in slot 1 and a great mace in slot 2, congrats now you have the weapon.

Elden Ring has soo many weapons and thats without the DLC, sure some overlap but to say BB has more variety is straight up false.
And we dont need to talk about the magic system.
BB has 12 tools, aka magic, half of them are lame.
ER has more than i can count, a lot of them are cool and unique
, the variety is through the roof. Magic build in ER and Souls is actually playable and fun.
I did a run in DS3 as a pyromancer, it was the most fun run i did.
DemonScar, with blackflame magic, lighting bolts, rapport and fireball. Dark lothric sword in hand for melee, chime for buffs, it was extremely versatile, it was the run where i realized im using the gameplay to its maximum potential, you feel you have tons of tools on your hand to deal with everything. Compared that to my first run in the game where i simply had dark sword, shield and roll roll R1 R1 it was night and day difference.

Souls/BB/ER issue is that magic builds and alternative playstyles are bad in NG, but they shine in NG+, since you collect the tools, well ER first run did it the best, but still NG+ allows for more stuff.
1. No shit, sherlock. However, with blood bullets mechanic there are more casts than in Dark Souls/Elden Ring. The best part is they supplement any weapon without taking away a hand and gun parries are a matter of choice. They also have a variety of uses which would require multiple stat investments in other Souls games. Augur of Ebrietus can be used as a substitute for parry when two handing a weapon, Old Hunter Bone can be used to improve mobility with slower weapons, Empty Phantasm Shell is a resource saving weapon enchantment, Beast Roar is a free get off me, etc.

2. Bloodtinge is a stat, not a build in and of itself.

3. Breaking games is a fun pastime for many players and you do not get to decide what is considered fun for others.

4. Kirkhammer is a longsword and greathammer trick weapon.

5. A trick weapon is not like having two weapons in Dark Souls. The transformation can do damage and two handed form unlocks another attack at the cost of gun parry. The forms are also better implemented with particular emphasis on fully charged attack.

6. I never stated that there was greater weapon variety. I stated that there is greater mechanics variety in playing the different weapons.

7. Purely opinion as you do not seem to grasp the utility of many Hunter Tools.

8. Most of the magic in Dark Souls and Elden Ring is functionally bollocks and the good ones often have absurd stat requirements.

9. Some magic builds are great in NG in all of those games. They just require a bit of item fetching to maximize potential. In fact magic breaks some levels and boss encounters as they are not equiped to deal with range and passive/delayed damage. If you want to talk about a worthless build in those you should be talking about all archery builds. A gun build in Bloodborne in contrast is a valid option. Similarly some crossbows builds are valid in those games.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Google Ludwig's Holy blade and its build. It's amazing and fun!
This.

The axe is OP for starting weapons. Spin to win. For beginners especially, pick the axe. Pick the axe and learn to parry. You can parry most bosses.

I got the Platinum for this game and sometimes I want to earn all the trophies again.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I want to love it, but I just can’t at 30 fps. This is that exact type of game that needs 60+ for me to enjoy. Sucks because I love the atmosphere, but after several attempts I just can’t do it.

Mozzarella

1. No shit, sherlock. However, with blood bullets mechanic there are more casts than in Dark Souls/Elden Ring. The best part is they supplement any weapon without taking away a hand and gun parries are a matter of choice. They also have a variety of uses which would require multiple stat investments in other Souls games. Augur of Ebrietus can be used as a substitute for parry when two handing a weapon, Old Hunter Bone can be used to improve mobility with slower weapons, Empty Phantasm Shell is a resource saving weapon enchantment, Beast Roar is a free get off me, etc.

2. Bloodtinge is a stat, not a build in and of itself.

3. Breaking games is a fun pastime for many players and you do not get to decide what is considered fun for others.

4. Kirkhammer is a longsword and greathammer trick weapon.

5. A trick weapon is not like having two weapons in Dark Souls. The transformation can do damage and two handed form unlocks another attack at the cost of gun parry. The forms are also better implemented with particular emphasis on fully charged attack.

6. I never stated that there was greater weapon variety. I stated that there is greater mechanics variety in playing the different weapons.

7. Purely opinion as you do not seem to grasp the utility of many Hunter Tools.

8. Most of the magic in Dark Souls and Elden Ring is functionally bollocks and the good ones often have absurd stat requirements.

9. Some magic builds are great in NG in all of those games. They just require a bit of item fetching to maximize potential. In fact magic breaks some levels and boss encounters as they are not equiped to deal with range and passive damage. If you want to talk about a worthless build in those you should be talking about all archery builds. A gun build in Bloodborne in contrast is a valid option. Even some crossbows builds are valid in those games.
1. When you use blood bullets you lose health, so its a trade off, you can heal with the bell but its still a bad deal since you are losing 2 bullets, but all the tools require arcane stat investment, the thing you notice is that the stat requirement is often low which proves that Arcane builds are not good options but Arcane itself is just a situational stat, you can't build around it, you just invest it around the weapon, this thing supports my point, the damage based tools that are basically ripped off from Souls do scale with Arcane so you become inclined to waste more stats on them to get some worthwhile returns, the phantasm shell in particular is the lamest, weakest buff you can apply on your weapon, at least it doesnt cost blood echoes but it does cost bullets.

2. I know, thats why i said you cant build around it, its just situational, you can totally build around Dex and dex only, you can't build around bloodtinge unless you just want to shoot enemies with your gun which is both boring and not viable enough, again its a situational stat and not a stat to build your character around, you can build your ashen one based on INT and use staff and spells only.

3. Ok
4. Ok minor mistake from memory, doesnt change the point.
5. I agree
6. How so? can you explain that? so just because you have transformation attack it puts it ahead, after all you are going back to dash dash R1 R1, so its more of the same. ER has jump attacks and powerstancing, it has shield poke and beast incantation, you can do blackflame hand, demonscar 2x slashes, blackflame hand combo in DS3, you can untarget crossbow fire bolt, do scimitar flip and attack back. Maybe you mean a specific weapon has more attacks, well yes because they are basically two weapons in one.
7. I just found them mostly useless, a few tools i can stand behind, but a lot of them seem uninspired and boring, or downright useless, they could have done far better and more crazier things with them, yet they settle for a rip off from Souls tools/spells that feels worse in every single way.
8. Not really, there is a lot of useful spells and a lot of things that you can use, i already gave you one example from my DS3 run, you can do plenty of things and use a lot of stuff, i agree that there is some useless or bad spells but there is many good ones too, way more than Bloodborne.
In fact i will also say that Sekiro tools are far better than Bloodborne too, the prosthetic tools of Wolf far exceed the Hunter tools in versatility, usefulness and cool factor.
9. Maybe but each time in NG i found the magic builds to be way worse and less fun, by the time you acquire the spells in NG+ the build becomes better, ER did the first run the best so far, but it still has a glimpse of these issues.
I dont disagree about archer builds, but i'd say they are just as bad as gun builds, maybe the guns feel cooler. Since both games were made by the same company you can tell they treated them both as a side tool and not as a main weapon.

Last edited:

kevin_trinh

I assume you didnt play a lot of PVP in them, i used to play PVP a lot during Dark Souls 3 launch, and it was super fun, basically i can do a 40/40 quality build and use most weapons, or i can use pure sorecery build and not use any weapon, you can basically do faith build and use lighting arrow with lets say a spear where you infuse it with a gem, so it will scale with your build not force your build to scale to it.
Ofcourse in Souls there is like 20% of weapons that demand you build according to them, since they take away a lot of skill points, an example for that is the Crucifix of the Mad King, which is a staff that has mostly dark build to it, but needs more stats to be allocated differently, this makes you go out of your way to change you build for it, those weapons also exist in ER.
But the difference here is that you can actually do Bleed build only in ER, not cater to single weapon, but do Bleed exclusively, you cast blood spells, wear blood armor, use blood powerups, blood weapons, you basically become lord of blood, and you roleplay in this build, you find many weapons and spells that fit into this.

This is not the case for Bloodborne, you can do STR and DEX in BB, thats it, the Arcane build is situational, you cant make realiable fun Arcane build only, it becomes boring and reptitive, why? because Arcane tools and spells are lame and limited, without the DLC they are only 9! with it 12! if im not mistaken.
Arcane and Bloodtinge builds as pure are not viable and even if they were they are still way lower than ER/Souls. BB gets its variety from the weapons, each weapons scale differently so you build according to it and master it in your playthrough.
As i said they are more situational and not core builds, the best way to build DEX in BB, is to go full DEX, the best way to build STR is to go full STR, but the best way to build bloodtinge or Arcane is to merge it with either STR or DEX. This proves the original point about build variety and rpg mechanics.

This isn't a deadly flaw or anything, but its a fact about the game, and as you put it, Bloodborne weapons are unique and very fun, and the combat is faster so yeah true on that.
I still love Bloodborne, but just like every other Souls game it has its shortcomings, it could be better, imagine we had more Arcane tools/weapons, they can go crazy with Arcane as a stat, but sadly its reduced to poor man's Souls spell system, hell it even has homing soulmass and fireball equivalents, its just poorly thought-out overall.
I played it 3 times to get all the ending and the plat back in 2017 and 2018, i would give it another run if it gets ported to PC, cause when i went back last year, i couldnt enjoy the frame stuttering.
Whatever u said about build is wrong, u still need chime, pyromancy glove to cast spell etc,etc....So you still build to ur weapons, thats the core of the Soulborne game. I agree that Soul/ER has more build variety because they have more spell, armor type and shield, that's it.

BB has quality build to: str/skill for Ludwig holy blade, or skill/bloodtine for Chikage/Simon bowblade, or event pure bloodtine if you have the right gem..., its can spread stat diversity as Soul/ER, the thing they lack is armor type and shield, which is affect the playstyle. But like i said, they make it up by using the unique of every weapons and the pace of combat.

About which build is strong or not, it's only ur opinion. Coz i can say the same like most of the magic build in ER is useless except Comet Azur, most of the melee build is useless except bleed etc...

Last edited:

GermanZepp

Last week a friend of mine came to dinner and he brings his guitar for jaming and Bloodborne. All this cause he didn't get the loop of the game. I started new game and beat every enemy that came across until the first boss. I didn't die and kill the beast in the first try. It was awesome.

When I first played it on release the loading times were so atrocious I nearly put the game down. Unfortunately I was at a really busy point in my life and although I loved the game I never finished it.
Maybe you already know but apparently with patches the load times have come right down. I’ve never played it without the patch so I can’t really say what your experience was like but I didn’t find loading too much of an issue. Presumably if you play on PS5 it’s even faster too. It’s such a good game I’d advise you to try it again if you can!

Mozzarella

Whatever u said about build is wrong, u still need chime, pyromancy glove to cast spell etc,etc....So you still build to ur weapons, thats the core of the Soulborne game. I agree that Soul/ER has more build variety because they have more spell, armor type and shield, that's it.

BB has quality build to: str/skill for Ludwig holy blade, or skill/bloodtine for Chikage/Simon bowblade, or event pure bloodtine if you have the right gem..., its can spread stat diversity as Soul/ER, the thing they lack is armor type and shield, which is affect the playstyle. But like i said, they make it up by using the unique of every weapons and the pace of combat.

About which build is strong or not, it's only ur opinion. Coz i can say the same like most of the magic build in ER is useless except Comet Azur, most of the melee build is useless except bleed etc...
You cannot be serious, Pyromancy flame doesnt require anything you dont need to build for it anything, just be pyromancer through your build to deal damage with it, all you need to do is actually upgrade it with the materials, what this means is it allows you to be pure pyromancer. You build a pyromancer and you can use the flame, you can also ditch it and use demon scar, you can just infuse weapons and use them instead.
Have you played PVP? You can technically wield some special weapons if you have quality build but its going to be badly optimized, for some special weapons like those in BB, they require multiple stats, you need to invest in them accordingly to get your scaling right and to get the most out of them, this is a build catered for weapon. When you make a build not catered for a weapon you basically build the character for a playstyle instead.
Mage -> Sorcery -> INT 50 -> use all spells -> enough output to sustain the build.
Sure you can mix and do better builds but this one is viable and fun throughtout the game, because it allows you to deal every situation, you will have magical weapon attacks, spells and cc.
Pyromancer -> Dark magic and Fire -> Faith 40, INT 40 -> Use spells or special weapons -> tons of tools and versatility to play your run.
In Souls you dont need to go out of your way and put stats to play, you do your build and adjust the weapons and the tools accordingly, if i want a melee as a wizard i can infuse my lothric sword to crystal lothric longsword, i have a buffed staff and i can use all sort of magic and attacks at my disposal.
The scaling on Trick weapons will sometimes force you to put stats here and there, lets say you want to do an Arcane build, your only weapon available is Kos Parasite (thanks dlc), so if you want to play this build you are stuck with one weapon and few spells for all your run, if you want to use another weapon, you need to rebuild the character entirely.
In Bloodborne, if you make a bloodtinge build, no strength or dex or arcane, how do you play?
Pick a gun -> Lock into enemy -> shoot.
Actually lets stop for a bit, tell me what builds/classes can you do in bloodborne? and how do you play them? How many roleplaying options you have?

In Souls you can be: Pyromancer/Dark, Faith, Sorcery, Quality, Strength, Dex and Luck (poison and status effects - its low tier but its still a build)
In Elden Ring you can do: Bleed builds, Pyromancer builds, Sorcerer builds, Strength Builds, Paladin/Faith builds, Assassin builds, actually why do i need to type them all, have a look:

In Bloodborne you can: Quality, Strength, Skill, you technically can do Bloodtinge or Arcane but they SUCK in comparison to the alternative builds in Souls, they are half baked and feel unfinished, their potential is not realized. Ofcourse now the fans will disagree with me on this, but when Bloodborne 2 comes out and improves upon this they will suddenly notice it.

Lets take a look at Bloodborne builds
Notice how most weapons overlap, there is no real variety here, all builds you will do lead to the same way, with very very few exception (kos), thats because most weapons in the game require multiple stats, and their scaling goes for multiple stats, this way your build isn't a build anymore, not a playstyle, but rather allocation to maximize damage based on the weapon you use, this exactly matches the example i gave with the crucifix of the mad king and how it makes you do compromises just to get the most out of it, so it essentially fuck up your build and forces you to specialize in it.

Also builds being strong is not really an opinion lol, did you play PVP during ER release, there was certain builds that overpowered others, frenzy, bleed, magic, etc.etc.. comet azure is good against some bosses but its dogshit against others, you have multiple spells and ways to deal with bosses, powerstance or bleed, i used halberd spear with ice attacks and fire cancels, it was a burst build and worked wonders for me, there is nothing resembling that in BB, you have to be kidding yourself to even attempt to make this point.

This.

The axe is OP for starting weapons. Spin to win. For beginners especially, pick the axe. Pick the axe and learn to parry. You can parry most bosses.

I got the Platinum for this game and sometimes I want to earn all the trophies again.
Sidenote: I've never learned how to parry, I think it's super difficult and not fun for me :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Just saying, it's not necessary (if you suck at it at bad as I do).

All starting weapons are great though in different ways! At least for a while.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Sidenote: I've never learned how to parry, I think it's super difficult and not fun for me :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Just saying, it's not necessary (if you suck at it at bad as I do).

All starting weapons are great though in different ways! At least for a while.
Out of curiosity, when was the last time you tried? :) I ask because I didn’t get it down until later on and it felt good to parry in the DLC. I had my pistol leveled up all the way. Bone Marrow Ash works wonders too.

Out of curiosity, when was the last time you tried? :) I ask because I didn’t get it down until later on and it felt good to parry in the DLC. I had my pistol leveled up all the way. Bone Marrow Ash works wonders too.
Can't remember.. I've played through the game a few times but didn't actually play the DLC until maybe two years ago. Didn't finish that one though because some other game caught my interest more 🙂

So it was probably a long time ago, yeah! But these games are stressful enough for me without trying to nail that perfect timing and dying even more while practicing 😂

I'm not much for taking chances like that.

Last edited:

PanzerCute

I would pay some good money to be able to experience my first BB playthrough again.

Still the best game ever made for me.

Enjoy man. Don't care about the build and play what you want, basically everything works in this game as it is more action oriented compared to DS. Also the bosses are not that hard.

Oh and don't miss the DLC, it's a bit short but absolutely amazing and the last boss is one of the most intense fight I ever had in a single player game.

1. When you use blood bullets you lose health, so its a trade off, you can heal with the bell but its still a bad deal since you are losing 2 bullets, but all the tools require arcane stat investment, the thing you notice is that the stat requirement is often low which proves that Arcane builds are not good options but Arcane itself is just a situational stat, you can't build around it, you just invest it around the weapon, this thing supports my point, the damage based tools that are basically ripped off from Souls do scale with Arcane so you become inclined to waste more stats on them to get some worthwhile returns, the phantasm shell in particular is the lamest, weakest buff you can apply on your weapon, at least it doesnt cost blood echoes but it does cost bullets.

2. I know, thats why i said you cant build around it, its just situational, you can totally build around Dex and dex only, you can't build around bloodtinge unless you just want to shoot enemies with your gun which is both boring and not viable enough, again its a situational stat and not a stat to build your character around, you can build your ashen one based on INT and use staff and spells only.

3. Ok
4. Ok minor mistake from memory, doesnt change the point.
5. I agree
6. How so? can you explain that? so just because you have transformation attack it puts it ahead, after all you are going back to dash dash R1 R1, so its more of the same. ER has jump attacks and powerstancing, it has shield poke and beast incantation, you can do blackflame hand, demonscar 2x slashes, blackflame hand combo in DS3, you can untarget crossbow fire bolt, do scimitar flip and attack back. Maybe you mean a specific weapon has more attacks, well yes because they are basically two weapons in one.
7. I just found them mostly useless, a few tools i can stand behind, but a lot of them seem uninspired and boring, or downright useless, they could have done far better and more crazier things with them, yet they settle for a rip off from Souls tools/spells that feels worse in every single way.
8. Not really, there is a lot of useful spells and a lot of things that you can use, i already gave you one example from my DS3 run, you can do plenty of things and use a lot of stuff, i agree that there is some useless or bad spells but there is many good ones too, way more than Bloodborne.
In fact i will also say that Sekiro tools are far better than Bloodborne too, the prosthetic tools of Wolf far exceed the Hunter tools in versatility, usefulness and cool factor.
9. Maybe but each time in NG i found the magic builds to be way worse and less fun, by the time you acquire the spells in NG+ the build becomes better, ER did the first run the best so far, but it still has a glimpse of these issues.
I dont disagree about archer builds, but i'd say they are just as bad as gun builds, maybe the guns feel cooler. Since both games were made by the same company you can tell they treated them both as a side tool and not as a main weapon.
1. That is simply not true. I have an Arcane only character with Hunters Tools and maxed out Parasite of Kos build that can destroy most bosses in seconds. Blood bullets are all that is needed to add a flat 80 damage bonus to your weapon with Empty Phantasm Shell. It may not be great, but neither are the paper buffs at the end of the day. Dark Souls 1 and 3 also have lousy weapon enchantments. It is what it is.

2. You could beat the game with Evelyn-oriented build with only Bloodtinge, and you could use an upgraded starting weapon with Visceral Attack gems and Caryll Runes to capitilize on parries without stat allocation. The way the Caryll Runes stack you could eventually end up with all of your bullets. Also, you need to only meet the minimum required STR and DEX stats to wield the Chikage, Simon's Bowblade, and Bloodletter as their two handed form only scales with Bloodtinge. There are staffs in Souls games that also require some STR and DEX investment.

6. The most extreme way I can put it is as follows. When you play the spear rifle you become a lancer that transforms into a rhinoceros with a projectile attack. When you play Beast Claw you become Han from Enter the Dragon that transforms into a werewolf. Granted not all of the weapons in Bloodborne have such great contrast in their two forms, but those that don't just expand the existing moveset. In contrast, in DS3 you are just a pyromancer.

7. I have yet to see a spell in Souls as versatile and as reliable as Executioner's Gloves hunter tool. Not all of them are as good but they all have a unique function unlike many spells in Souls games.

8. You mentioned pyromancies not spells, but that is beside the point. Souls games go for a quantity approach, while Bloodborne goes for a quality approach. Both are valid approaches, so just play what you like.

9. Much of the fun to be found in a playing these builds is in setting them up as soon as is possible and cruising through the rest of the game in celebration. Ironically half of Simon's Bowblade is a valid Archer build that is not possible in Souls games. A typical gun build in Bloodborne is more like a crossbow build in Souls (on steroids).

Last edited:

kevin_trinh

You cannot be serious, Pyromancy flame doesnt require anything you dont need to build for it anything, just be pyromancer through your build to deal damage with it, all you need to do is actually upgrade it with the materials, what this means is it allows you to be pure pyromancer. You build a pyromancer and you can use the flame, you can also ditch it and use demon scar, you can just infuse weapons and use them instead.
Have you played PVP? You can technically wield some special weapons if you have quality build but its going to be badly optimized, for some special weapons like those in BB, they require multiple stats, you need to invest in them accordingly to get your scaling right and to get the most out of them, this is a build catered for weapon. When you make a build not catered for a weapon you basically build the character for a playstyle instead.
Mage -> Sorcery -> INT 50 -> use all spells -> enough output to sustain the build.
Sure you can mix and do better builds but this one is viable and fun throughtout the game, because it allows you to deal every situation, you will have magical weapon attacks, spells and cc.
Pyromancer -> Dark magic and Fire -> Faith 40, INT 40 -> Use spells or special weapons -> tons of tools and versatility to play your run.
In Souls you dont need to go out of your way and put stats to play, you do your build and adjust the weapons and the tools accordingly, if i want a melee as a wizard i can infuse my lothric sword to crystal lothric longsword, i have a buffed staff and i can use all sort of magic and attacks at my disposal.
The scaling on Trick weapons will sometimes force you to put stats here and there, lets say you want to do an Arcane build, your only weapon available is Kos Parasite (thanks dlc), so if you want to play this build you are stuck with one weapon and few spells for all your run, if you want to use another weapon, you need to rebuild the character entirely.
In Bloodborne, if you make a bloodtinge build, no strength or dex or arcane, how do you play?
Pick a gun -> Lock into enemy -> shoot.
Actually lets stop for a bit, tell me what builds/classes can you do in bloodborne? and how do you play them? How many roleplaying options you have?

In Souls you can be: Pyromancer/Dark, Faith, Sorcery, Quality, Strength, Dex and Luck (poison and status effects - its low tier but its still a build)
In Elden Ring you can do: Bleed builds, Pyromancer builds, Sorcerer builds, Strength Builds, Paladin/Faith builds, Assassin builds, actually why do i need to type them all, have a look:

In Bloodborne you can: Quality, Strength, Skill, you technically can do Bloodtinge or Arcane but they SUCK in comparison to the alternative builds in Souls, they are half baked and feel unfinished, their potential is not realized. Ofcourse now the fans will disagree with me on this, but when Bloodborne 2 comes out and improves upon this they will suddenly notice it.

Lets take a look at Bloodborne builds
Notice how most weapons overlap, there is no real variety here, all builds you will do lead to the same way, with very very few exception (kos), thats because most weapons in the game require multiple stats, and their scaling goes for multiple stats, this way your build isn't a build anymore, not a playstyle, but rather allocation to maximize damage based on the weapon you use, this exactly matches the example i gave with the crucifix of the mad king and how it makes you do compromises just to get the most out of it, so it essentially fuck up your build and forces you to specialize in it.

Also builds being strong is not really an opinion lol, did you play PVP during ER release, there was certain builds that overpowered others, frenzy, bleed, magic, etc.etc.. comet azure is good against some bosses but its dogshit against others, you have multiple spells and ways to deal with bosses, powerstance or bleed, i used halberd spear with ice attacks and fire cancels, it was a burst build and worked wonders for me, there is nothing resembling that in BB, you have to be kidding yourself to even attempt to make this point.
U said like ur Pyromancy glove does not scale with int or faith? U still build to ur weapon, that's the fact.

Want a pure Arcane build? Read this: https://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Pure+Souls+Arcane+Guide
Want a pure Blood build? Read this:

if u said Arcane or Blood build is suck in BB, its because you are not dig deep enough.
I can say the same for everybuild in ER. And yes, i do play PvP in all Soulborne game, infact i think i play PvP more than u for sure. And i know how bad the balance of PvP in ER, its the has worst balance between attack and defence in all SoulBorne game

Artistically, thematically...but also in terms of gameplay feel, responsiveness, weight, replayability...this one is behemoth of a game! My most played PS4 title, alongside Resogun, and one of my all time greats.

Top Bottom