• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

myco666

I would've liked for that to happen in the chalice dungeons, would've been...interesting.

Now that you said that having actually mixed duo boss fights would have been great thing for Chalices. For example fighting Cleric Beast and Vicar Amelia at the same time or even better have Maria, Gascoigne and Gehrman all at the same time.

Now that you said that having actually mixed duo boss fights would have been great thing for Chalices. For example fighting Cleric Beast and Vicar Amelia at the same time or even better have Maria, Gascoigne and Gehrman all at the same time.
Or Amygdala, Ebrietas and Rom. Shit would've been sick/sadistic/impossible. I can dodge those meteors!!! *gets stuck on a spider and nailed by that fucking Ebrietas charge* "You Died."

myco666

Or Amygdala, Ebrietas and Rom. Shit would've been sick/sadistic/impossible. I can dodge those meteors!!! *gets stuck on a spider and nailed by that fucking Ebrietas charge* "You Died."

That would such bullshit. I would pretty much exclude any boss that has projectiles that can easily kill you from having duo/trio fights. It would be just too much.

That would such bullshit. I would pretty much exclude any boss that has projectiles that can easily kill you from having duo/trio fights. It would be just too much.
Yeah that whole thing would be pretty crazy. I'm open to a hunter boss being paired with something bigger though. Gherman with Headless Bloodletting Beast...yikes.

myco666

Yeah that whole thing would be pretty crazy. I'm open to a hunter boss being paired with something bigger though. Gherman with Headless Bloodletting Beast...yikes.

I actually never found Headless Bloodletting Beast to be that hard. Pretty much the same as Bloodletting Beast but with few ranged attacks. There are few very dangerous attacks but if you just stay close to it you should be fine.

edit.

Just realized this game doesn't really have a Orstein/Smough-esque dual fight, does it?

SoY is kinda like that but it pales in comparison.

I actually never found Headless Bloodletting Beast to be that hard. Pretty much the same as Bloodletting Beast but with few ranged attacks. There are few very dangerous attacks but if you just stay close to it you should be fine.
Headless killed me more times than Pthumerian Descendant in that dungeon.

myco666

Headless killed me more times than Pthumerian Descendant in that dungeon.

Really? Pthumerian Descendant was much harder for me though after I just started spamming the gun I got parries really easily. Headless went down in the first try last month after my platinum run from April. There were few close calls but I still managed to pull through.

laxu

Just realized this game doesn't really have a Orstein/Smough-esque dual fight, does it?

Well not with totally different enemies. But you do have several multi enemy fights:
Two hunters right after Ludwig
Those fuckin' shark brothers
Dual church executioners before Ludwig
Shadows of Yharnam
Three hunters in Yahargul
Two hunters in Nightmare Frontier
Living Failures

Really? Pthumerian Descendant was much harder for me though after I just started spamming the gun I got parries really easily. Headless went down in the first try last month after my platinum run from April. There were few close calls but I still managed to pull through.
Everybody has that boss that they're just really good with. I'm not great with certain bosses. Granted I haven't fought Headless for a good amount of time.

myco666

Everybody has that boss that they're just really good with. I'm not great with certain bosses. Granted I haven't fought Headless for a good amount of time.

Well there is that. I was really surprised by how easily I managed it the last time since I remembered all the posts about everyone being frustrated against it. I can definitely see what would give problems in that fight though.

Well there is that. I was really surprised by how easily I managed it the last time since I remembered all the posts about everyone being frustrated against it. I can definitely see what would give problems in that fight though.
I usually get stepped on while I'm rolling under him unlocked if I remember right. I still think I prefer him over Loran Darkbeast. Motherfucker is a pain to hit and stagger.

myco666

I usually get stepped on while I'm rolling under him unlocked if I remember right. I still think I prefer him over Loran Darkbeast. Motherfucker is a pain to hit and stagger.

Paarl / Loran Darkbeast is only boss I don't look foward fighting. I have lot of trouble getting hits in as it is so fast and most of the time I end up under it and very few weapons easily hit it from there.

Paarl / Loran Darkbeast is only boss I don't look foward fighting. I have lot of trouble getting hits in as it is so fast and most of the time I end up under it and very few weapons easily hit it from there.
That's why he's addressed as "that motherfucker" I like Ebrietas more than that thing.

wiibomb

Well not with totally different enemies. But you do have several multi enemy fights:
Two hunters right after Ludwig
Those fuckin' shark brothers
Dual church executioners before Ludwig
Shadows of Yharnam
Three hunters in Yahargul
Two hunters in Nightmare Frontier
Living Failures

also add:

the witches of hemwick

Paarl is easy but Loran's is a mess of a camera angles trying to fix the angel where your hunter is is a pain to deal with it and the boss is super evasing messing the camera even more than necessary due the focus camera effect on solid objects

myco666

That's why he's addressed as "that motherfucker" I like Ebrietas more than that thing.

Ebrietas isn't even that bad to be honest. That charge attack is annoying but everything else is fine and you can melt her health bar if you know what you are doing.

Paarl is easy but Loran's is a mess of a camera angles trying to fix the angel where your hunter is is a pain to deal with it and the boss is super evasing messing the camera even more than necessary due the focus camera effect on solid objects

Well both have same problems with camera obviously and it is hard to keep up with Paarl since it is pretty fast and all over the place. Paarl is easier of the two just because you can knock it down easier and after that it is just spamming R1 and getting charge attack on the leg once it electrifies itself again.

Timeaisis

Weird thing is,the first time I fought Paarl on my first run...it was super easy (maybe because I fought him when you get to Yar'ghul "proper" after the blood moon so I was higher leveled and I had the Cane). But on this run for the DLC (3rd run through the game) he's really, really hard. I dunno what happened to me. Same thing happened with Father G. First run was pretty easy (3rd attempt or so), this run it took me like 10 tries.

Who knows, Bloodborne is an odd game. I beat Logarius on my first try this time lol.

KRaZyAmmo

is there a way I can get more Blood ritual 4? I got 6 and need 9 for defiled but it's not dropping for me in Layer 3. Nevermind I got Defiled open.

Ebrietas isn't even that bad to be honest. That charge attack is annoying but everything else is fine and you can melt her health bar if you know what you are doing.
I have a battle beating Ebrietas in 100 seconds so I know she ain't even bad, but either way she's one of my favorites.

So Isz Layer 3 have all the uncanny and lost DLC weapons.

12548870_10156457504185475_5791824746402691719_n.jpg

laxu

So Isz Layer 3 have all the uncanny and lost DLC weapons.

You can buy those from any bath messenger in chalices afaik as long as you have the basic version of the weapon. I guess From developers were just lazy and didn't want to cram them in random chests. I just wish they let you buy the uncanny and lost versions of main game weapons as well.

moonbeam

Hi everyone,

I just got the DLC recently and killed the first boss - yes! Great fun but I am having a technical issue. Sometimes when I start the game, I can't actually play it as I get the message:

"Unable to locate the Old Hunters DLC. This save data cannot be used until the dlc is downloaded again."

Sometimes just closing Bloodborne and opening it again lets me gain access to the game but other times not. It seems random.

I haven't tried downloading the DLC again as it suggests due to download quotas. Is there an alternate fix?

myco666

Hi everyone,

I just got the DLC recently and killed the first boss - yes! Great fun but I am having a technical issue. Sometimes when I start the game, I can't actually play it as I get the message:

"Unable to locate the Old Hunters DLC. This save data cannot be used until the dlc is downloaded again."

Sometimes just closing Bloodborne and opening it again lets me gain access to the game but other times not. It seems random.

I haven't tried downloading the DLC again as it suggests due to download quotas. Is there an alternate fix?

Never had that happen to me but I would suggest you to just download the DLC as it is very small file that the game just checks you have.

Ludwig ruined my life before I eventually beat him and now I'm at the last boss in the DLC I think (Kos) and he might be harder than Ludwig as he's wrecking me hard.

These 2 must be in the top 5 hardest Souls bosses ever right?

gunbo13

Tried to get into Beast Mode + Embrace. On NG+5 though for example, you will get one-shotted by Micolash with both his arcane attacks. I can also do more damage then beast mode with BoM. So I'm not seeing a point. I prefer beast pellets and a better/faster weapon. My last dash would maybe be trying out the Rakuyo again but I prefer BoM, which is pretty much just as good, if not better.

Going to shift to Dragon's Dogma PC. BB, not sure how much more you got for me. Already at around 170 hours.

protonion

STUCK!

After the first dlc boss.
I'm supposed to
kill Maria.
I think I've explored everything...
got the balcony key, some skull key item...
Where do I go???

komplanen

I bought Bloodborne GOTY and after a couple of days I have a few questions:

Ritual headstones in the hub world - what are they for? There's menus about searching for dungeons or something and a way to input text so I bet that's some sort of repeatable online dungeon? Why sould I use one? The text says I use up one ritual blood and a chalice that I've only found one of. I'm scared.

Is there a good readable map of this game? I kinda want to look at some of the past areas and get a better understanding of them. At one point there's a bunch of pale-coated dudes and big white-cloaked fuckers and I feel like since I moved past that area I left behind a bunch of doors that wouldn't open for some reason. One especially bothers me in a room full of urns that I rolled around in.

Why has no one invaded me? I play online but I've never been invaded. Is that not a thing anymore?

Why haven't I seen summon signs near bosses? Is that not a thing either?

This game is really fucking good tho

myco666

Do I need to complete the DLC before the main game, or can I do it afterwards?

Well yes since completing the main game throws you into NG+ immediately.

edit.
I bought Bloodborne GOTY and after a couple of days I have a few questions:

Ritual headstones in the hub world - what are they for? There's menus about searching for dungeons or something and a way to input text so I bet that's some sort of repeatable online dungeon? Why sould I use one? The text says I use up one ritual blood and a chalice that I've only found one of. I'm scared.

Is there a good readable map of this game? I kinda want to look at some of the past areas and get a better understanding of them. At one point there's a bunch of pale-coated dudes and big white-cloaked fuckers and I feel like since I moved past that area I left behind a bunch of doors that wouldn't open for some reason. One especially bothers me in a room full of urns that I rolled around in.

Why has no one invaded me? I play online but I've never been invaded. Is that not a thing anymore?

Why haven't I seen summon signs near bosses? Is that not a thing either?

This game is really fucking good tho

Ritual Headstones are for Chalice Dungeons that are optional part of the game. You get really good Blood Gems from the later ones and that is why people do them.

No map but there are drawn maps on several wikis that you can use to navigate if you want.

Invasions work so that you need to have Bell Maiden spawned in that rings the sinister bell. They only spawn if you ring the Sinister Bell yourself or you summon someone for coop. There are two areas that have Bell Maidens spawned in immediately but they are later in the game.

No summon signs here. For coop you just ring Beckoning Bell and you will get someone to join you. They can be anywhere around that location but usually they are close to boss areas. There are NPC summons though that are usually really close to boss areas and they work similarly to summon signs.

komplanen

Ritual Headstones are for Chalice Dungeons that are optional part of the game. You get really good Blood Gems from the later ones and that is why people do them.

No map but there are drawn maps on several wikis that you can use to navigate if you want.

Invasions work so that you need to have Bell Maiden spawned in that rings the sinister bell. They only spawn if you ring the Sinister Bell yourself or you summon someone for coop. There are two areas that have Bell Maidens spawned in immediately but they are later in the game.

No summon signs here. For coop you just ring Beckoning Bell and you will get someone to join you. They can be anywhere around that location but usually they are close to boss areas. There are NPC summons though that are usually really close to boss areas and they work similarly to summon signs.

Thanks!

komplanen

This. Game. Is. So. Fucking. Good.

It is now retroactively my GOTY2015 though I haven't played Witcher 3 enough yet so maybe Bloodborne gets retroactively robbed.

Fuck those two giant cthullu executioners in the blood lake thing.

Yeah, if you run past them both you can take them on one at a time, but it really isn't worth it. The melee one especially is hard to dodge.

I'm trying to find people to beat Orphan of Kos with but not getting matched with anyone. It goes by a 10 level range, right? I'm level 86, I thought there would be plenty of people to match with.....

rtcn63

Yeah, if you run past them both you can take them on one at a time, but it really isn't worth it. The melee one especially is hard to dodge.

I'm trying to find people to beat Orphan of Kos with but not getting matched with anyone. It goes by a 10 level range, right? I'm level 86, I thought there would be plenty of people to match with.....

People seem to be going into the DLC either significantly under-leveled or over. Blame the chalice dungeons and their smorgasbord of farmable souls.

People seem to be going into the DLC either significantly under-leveled or over. Blame the chalice dungeons and their smorgasbord of farmable souls.

Thats a shame, I love matching with random people. Anyone willing to help me with Laurence and Orphan of Kos?

Before, and Do the DLC before Wet Nurse
Wait, what, why?
Does beating her affect it somehow?

I just got back into Bloodborne very recently (kind of just put the game down when I beat Rom). Tonight I got through the second Nightmare Realm, and eventually beat The Wet Nurse.
Enjoying it so much, I bought the dlc and have started it (without issue, hence the above question), because I know if I go further in the main game I'll be locked in.

Timeaisis

Eh, I can get the one melee guy to focus on me where the canon dude is more or less out of range. Problem with that is he always does his blue powerup thing to make all his moves get AOEs. And then, I have no idea how to dodge him without getting hit by the secondary blast.

Top Bottom