• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Yup, maybe remove the stagger effect on its L2 or make it consume more stamine when you are holding L2
I almost don't even parry that much any more. I just dodge and let the stagger of this thing do it's job in two hand mode. I took out Paarl on my first try with it and just targeted the head since I couldn't hit that piece of shit unlocked. He went down fast. I hit him in the head a couple of times and got him down for a visceral. After that I hit his head some more and he went down again, it was just nasty. Canon Undead Giant went down too. The weapon is just savage. Even beat vanilla Watchdog with it. I think two hit or something on it's legs broke them or something.

I'm sure this has been said plenty but wow, can't recommend playing this for the first time on NG+. I one shotted mores bosses than I didn't on my run of Bloodborne, but Ludwig was just the biggest pain in the ass. I tried finding numbers online for health bumps on NG+ because it just seemed excessive. Other than that, I love what I've played so far. The difficulty bump feels real but it's been nice, but I think boss wise I'm going to continue wishing I had played this on NG.

Oh.. lol.. I'm not whining about the dificulty. I know eventually I'll beat the crap out of this game.

I just want to play threw it co-op. That's all.

Good thing coop got kinda reworked and you can coop easily now, more with password based coop, even un Chalices

I almost don't even parry that much any more. I just dodge and let the stagger of this thing do it's job in two hand mode. I took out Paarl on my first try with it and just targeted the head since I couldn't hit that piece of shit unlocked. He went down fast. I hit him in the head a couple of times and got him down for a visceral. After that I hit his head some more and he went down again, it was just nasty. Canon Undead Giant went down too. The weapon is just savage. Even beat vanilla Watchdog with it. I think two hit or something on it's legs broke them or something.

Not even the spears in DsK2 were like that.

laxu

I'm sure this has been said plenty but wow, can't recommend playing this for the first time on NG+. I one shotted mores bosses than I didn't on my run of Bloodborne, but Ludwig was just the biggest pain in the ass. I tried finding numbers online for health bumps on NG+ because it just seemed excessive. Other than that, I love what I've played so far. The difficulty bump feels real but it's been nice, but I think boss wise I'm going to continue wishing I had played this on NG.

If you're good in NG+ then NG will feel too easy actually. I first played thru the DLC in NG+ and to get the platinum (to get the other endings) I played it again in NG and went thru most bosses with 1-2 tries.

I really don't like how in NG+ anything but at least +8 or +9 weapons are nearly useless though so hopefully you've done the chalices so you can farm those chunks and insight for blood rocks.

johnsmith

remember me

Yeah, this is me right now. Really regret buying it. Ludwig is just seems like such a hard wall, I can barely get to the 2nd phase. Went back to the main game to level up some, and I'm breezing through everything. It's not even just Ludwig that's hard, all these hunters are way too tough. Can't even get the Amygdalan Arm because the hunter in that cave just destroys me. The new giant executioners take forever to kill. Everything just has too much HP.

Melchiah

I wish I played this when this community was more active. I want to do some co-op and talk with someone while playing this.

I beat some chalice bosses on co-op, and none of the players talked, which isn't a negative thing as far as I'm concerned.

This one, I assume. My guess is that UDON will eventually translate it and release it in English like the Dark Souls books.

Hopefully there'll be an English version, as I'd like to buy that to accompany the guide books.

Soulhouf

Probably already posted, but:

giphy.gif

OMG

Melchiah

Yeah, this is me right now. Really regret buying it. Ludwig is just seems like such a hard wall, I can barely get to the 2nd phase. Went back to the main game to level up some, and I'm breezing through everything. It's not even just Ludwig that's hard, all these hunters are way too tough. Can't even get the Amygdalan Arm because the hunter in that cave just destroys me. The new giant executioners take forever to kill. Everything just has too much HP.

What level you're at? The DLC was really hard for me at 60, but became far more manageable when I went past Micolash in the main game, and levelled up to 90. The league co-op hunter helped a lot against Ludwig, so it's better to keep that Impurity rune equipped if you want his help.

EDIT: Oh, you're apparently playing the DLC on NG+.

I'm at Orphan of Kos and I'm not sure how I feel about this DLC. On one hand Research Hall is potentially my favorite area in the entire game. On the other hand, I found myself pissed off more often than enjoying myself while playing this. Souls games always kind of fall off near the end for me because they go from hard but fair to just straight up frustrating. Yeah, I'm still dying by my own mistakes, but the deck is stacked so much against me that it's almost impossible not to make a misstep at some point.

I've gotten Orphan of Kos down to a sliver of health, so I know it's doable. I'll probably power through, but I don't think I'll have a hankering to revisit this content any time soon.

I'm in the same boat. I really enjoyed many parts of the DLC, but at the same time I think they increased the difficulty, and the amount of enemies, a bit too much. The last boss in particular was frustratingly hard for me. That's why I'm not sure if I want to revisit the DLC with my NG+ character, like I originally planned to do.

Finally beat Kos last night after hours of trying across almost 3 days (this is my 1st play through of the game). When i first got to Kos i was around soul level 75 or so but eventually i had to go farm for awhile and pushed myself to level 95 then after a few hours finally beat him with the Tonitrus.

This and the battle with Ludwig i thought were hard and intense as hell, nothing worse that getting either of them down to a tiny amount of energy then making a mistake. For example, I got Kos down to about 1cm of energy so i just got excited dived into him and started smashing him and thought i had him then he did the electricity blast and ended me.

:-( I was in a state of shock and anger when that happened haha

Before i go on to the finish the game i just need to go down the well in Hamlet and explore it and maybe just make sure i found everything in the Unseen villiage

Some NG+ bosses (first, last, optional) were indeed annoying. I didn't do chalice dungeons though so my 10+ weapon with common gems was pretty useless, just managed to chip away little bits of hp. It made fights last long with not much room for error really as some of them have brutal attacks if they manage to catch you. Glad I finished it but yeah, wouldn't recommend if you're not looking for such challenge.

If you're good in NG+ then NG will feel too easy actually. I first played thru the DLC in NG+ and to get the platinum (to get the other endings) I played it again in NG and went thru most bosses with 1-2 tries.

I really don't like how in NG+ anything but at least +8 or +9 weapons are nearly useless though so hopefully you've done the chalices so you can farm those chunks and insight for blood rocks.

I actually only did the first two dungeons recently haha so I think I'll go grind more for the future. I agree, the moment to moment isn't too bad, actually a refreshing challenge. But Ludwig just gave no room for error. Often his cannon spike tackle would *just* clip me and take 80% and that would be it. Just didn't feel good haha.

Before I beat him, (and full disclosure I summoned a league member to do so because I just got tired of it. Don't have time for it now that classes have started), I could reliably get to the 2nd stage with little problem. But that 2nd stage has some shit. His weapon clipping through walls and such. And when 2 hits can kill you errors like that are frustrating ways to end a run.

What level are you though? You may need to grind a bit. I started it at around 100 and it was a challenge, but probably more than most would want including me after a while haha. Went back around 120 and the hunters went down much easier. Also just run but he giants and get the lamp to the right of them. Then they become a non issue, and for good reason. They are ridiculous.

Some NG+ bosses (first, last, optional) were indeed annoying. I didn't do chalice dungeons though so my 10+ weapon with common gems was pretty useless, just managed to chip away little bits of hp. It made fights last long with not much room for error really as some of them have brutal attacks if they manage to catch you. Glad I finished it but yeah, wouldn't recommend if you're not looking for such challenge.

So...all but 1 are annoying? (There are 4 bosses right?) That's good to hear haha. Yeah I'm definitely gonna go get some gems and see if that's lightens things up just a little. Feels doable at the moment, but just past that line of challenging into annoying.

Futureman

I want to get this as my friend keeps bugging me to play online with him... but I want to wait until it's around $20. Am I going to be waiting awhile?

laxu

I actually only did the first two dungeons recently haha so I think I'll go grind more for the future. I agree, the moment to moment isn't too bad, actually a refreshing challenge. But Ludwig just gave no room for error. Often his cannon spike tackle would *just* clip me and take 80% and that would be it. Just didn't feel good haha.

How much vitality do you have? I find that's probably the most important stat if attempting the DLC in NG+ as some of the bosses hit hard. You should be above 30, preferably above 40.

Have you tried summoning Valtr with the League rune equipped? He is a good companion against Ludwig.

That said, every one of Ludwig's attacks can be dodged and honestly 2nd phase isn't that bad as long as you don't let him do his ranged attacks as he has a couple of really nasty ones. So sticking close-ish is a good bet. Fire and Pizza Cutter are your friends.

How much vitality do you have? I find that's probably the most important stat if attempting the DLC in NG+ as some of the bosses hit hard. You should be above 30, preferably above 40.

Have you tried summoning Valtr with the League rune equipped? He is a good companion against Ludwig.

That said, every one of Ludwig's attacks can be dodged and honestly 2nd phase isn't that bad as long as you don't let him do his ranged attacks as he has a couple of really nasty ones. So sticking close-ish is a good bet. Fire and Pizza Cutter are your friends.

Thanks for all the advice! I actually had already beaten him when I posted. But I'll take your advice on the vitality. It's at 30 and the increments it was increasing didn't seem worth it. But now that I'm dying to this hunter with Ludwig's sword in just 3 hits I'm thinking I was wrong haha. That attack string is one of the hardest to dodge out of, I can't believe the damage he's doing to boot.

Edit: Luring into the stairway was my friend haha.

laxu

Thanks for all the advice! I actually had already beaten him when I posted. But I'll take your advice on the vitality. It's at 30 and the increments it was increasing didn't seem worth it. But now that I'm dying to this hunter with Ludwig's sword in just 3 hits I'm thinking I was wrong haha.

That's what I thought as well but kept getting trounced by Ludwig so I decided to farm a bit to get my vitality up. It's ridiculously easy to get lots of echoes farming Lecture Building 1st floor by killing everyone in the auditorium, popping a Bold hunter's mark and repeating. All Moon runes equipped of course.

Timeaisis

Any advice on killing the gatling gun Hunter in the cave? I can't see shit and if I get too far from him he miniguns me to death real quick.

Any advice on killing the gatling gun Hunter in the cave? I can't see shit and if I get too far from him he miniguns me to death real quick.

I think there's a rock pillar just inside the cave and a bit to the right. I made a mad dash for that and just strafed around it taking shots at him as I could, keeping it between us so he couldn't shoot me.

That's what I thought as well but kept getting trounced by Ludwig so I decided to farm a bit to get my vitality up. It's ridiculously easy to get lots of echoes farming Lecture Building 1st floor by killing everyone in the auditorium, popping a Bold hunter's mark and repeating. All Moon runes equipped of course.

Cheers, next time I feel stuck, if I haven't leveled much, I'll definitely be doing that.

Afrodium

Banned
Afrodium said:
I'm at Orphan of Kos and I'm not sure how I feel about this DLC. On one hand Research Hall is potentially my favorite area in the entire game. On the other hand, I found myself pissed off more often than enjoying myself while playing this. Souls games always kind of fall off near the end for me because they go from hard but fair to just straight up frustrating. Yeah, I'm still dying by my own mistakes, but the deck is stacked so much against me that it's almost impossible not to make a misstep at some point.

I've gotten Orphan of Kos down to a sliver of health, so I know it's doable. I'll probably power through, but I don't think I'll have a hankering to revisit this content any time soon.

So I know I wrote this yesterday but I've beaten the Orphan now I can run around as an alien and attack people with my tentacles and alien explosions so this DLC is cool in my book.

moonbeam

Never had that happen to me but I would suggest you to just download the DLC as it is very small file that the game just checks you have.

Thanks for the reply. It seems getting my PS4 to Refresh Licenses may have solved the problem. Before I tried that, being online also seemed to solve the problem.

laxu

I've always killed him at the cave entrance where he has little space to move. Bring all your stamina and your fastest weapon.

Knuf

Killed
Lady Maria
last night, what a fight! I'm on NG+ and took me a while to learn her patterns, especially her damn 3rd phase, but she's probably my favourite boss now, together with
Ludwig
Noticed that only 7% players got her trophy, is such a thing even possible? I mean, not even 1 in 10 players got there? It would be okay for the base game, I guess, but this is a paid DLC targeted at people who love BB, that only 7% beat her seems unbelievable to me.
Oh, and
Research Hall
is glorious, the level design in this area is beyond awesome, I think I found my new favourite area in both the base game and the expansion, can't wait to dive in that
Fishing Hamlet
!
Just a question: I already brought
2 brain fluids to the girl in the door
next to the lamp, but she is asking for one more. Where do I find it?

laxu

Come back later, she should've turned into a brain bag and is now in the same room by the door. Kill her, then wait till she revives and offer her her own brain fluid.

She's by the door now, right? If so, attack her. She'll shrivel up, give you one, then she'll re-inflate. Then you just give it to her.

Can't pass Ludwig in NG+++

15 hours in, can't pass it.

I'm taking another character. I need a longer weapon, I never played 2 hands. Any recommandations ? Ludwig blade with str ? Or two hand axe ? What weapon to level up and what stats to scale up ?

Knuf

Come back later, she should've turned into a brain bag and is now in the same room by the door. Kill her, then wait till she revives and offer her her own brain fluid.

She's by the door now, right? If so, attack her. She'll shrivel up, give you one, then she'll re-inflate. Then you just give it to her.

Oh, it's so obvious now
since the other two brain bags also re-inflated after killing them
, I really don't know why I didn't think about it.
Thanks guys!

Risgroo

Any tips on how to defeat the two shark men in the well? The Rakuyo is the last weapon I need :p

EDIT: Never mind! Used a shaman blade and got them to hurt each other. Phew.

Timeaisis

Recommendations for Ludiwg? I'm using LHB +9. I do decent damage but can't for the life of me figure out his attack patterns. Seems when I got his moveset down he pulls out something really quick and deadly. Any advice? I hear the Beast Cutter is good against him...?

Recommendations for Ludiwg? I'm using LHB +9. I do decent damage but can't for the life of me figure out his attack patterns. Seems when I got his moveset down he pulls out something really quick and deadly. Any advice? I hear the Beast Cutter is good against him...?

I don't think the weapon you use is all that important. Avoiding getting hit too much and healing when it's safe is the main thing. If it's safe to hit it's safe to heal. Dodge forward and to your right into his attacks. Try to get along side him to do damage. It isn't safe behind him and it's very unsafe in front (1st stage) 2nd stage is pretty much the same tactic but you really do want to get in behind him then. Just be aware of the AOE charge up.

Timeaisis

I don't think the weapon you use is all that important. Avoiding getting hit too much and healing when it's safe is the main thing. If it's safe to hit it's safe to heal. Dodge forward and to your right into his attacks. Try to get along side him to do damage. It isn't safe behind him and it's very unsafe in front (1st stage) 2nd stage is pretty much the same tactic but you really do want to get in behind him then. Just be aware of the AOE charge up.

Well I'm only doing like 300dmg per hit,which seems low for my +9 LHB. Really slow chip damage.

Top Bottom