• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Yeah, I felt similarly when I started the DLC on release date. It took me nearly a month before I could, and wanted to return to it. They really handled it poorly. The only information they provided about the DLC being accessible at around halfway through the game was pretty misleading, considering...
Yeah I think when it first came out and I was...at the very least passed Amygdala I'm going to assume, and it still wasn't even. The intro hunters just eat +6 weapon swings. They really didn't tell you enough about what was in the dlc cause holy shit it's not easy the first time on a low level character and I ain't Lobos Jr.

Timeaisis

Yeah I think when it first came out and I was...at the very least passed Amygdala I'm going to assume, and it still wasn't even. The intro hunters just eat +6 weapon swings. They really didn't tell you enough about what was in the dlc cause holy shit it's not easy the first time on a low level character and I ain't Lobos Jr.

They probably should've moved the dlc unlock to later in the game, too.

No kidding. would've given a much better barometer for what you really need to deal with it. Maybe at least make it right before Mensis, not Amelia, you're still practically made out of paper after Amelia depending on how you leveled.

The exact quote goes...

I wish they had told that publicly before the DLC was out. I had gone until Byrgenwerth, and levelled up to 60, before the release, and had to go past Micolash and raise the level to 90, to be able to continue playing the DLC without too much gnashing of teeth.

+9 weapon lol, its like telling you go for the DLC right after Mensis or the unseen village

laxu

Agreed. I mean the game has several doors in the levels that look like they lead somewhere but can never be opened. Could've easily the entrance to the DLC in Yahargul or Upper Cathedral Ward.

Joei

I have a question. I'm at the end of the game, beat
the wet nurse
, and am finishing some stuff up and am wondering if I should buy the DLC and do that now or do it on the NG+?

I don't find the game that difficult tbh, I'm around 75, beat most bosses in a few tries, but I'd hate to hold off on the DLC and have a pain in the ass time on NG+

Ghazi

I have a question. I'm at the end of the game, beat
the wet nurse
, and am finishing some stuff up and am wondering if I should buy the DLC and do that now or do it on the NG+?

I don't find the game that difficult tbh, I'm around 75, beat most bosses in a few tries, but I'd hate to hold off on the DLC and have a pain in the ass time on NG+

NG+ DLC is a lot harder than doing it in NG, I'd recommend doing it now.

Joei

Thanks a lot. Just wondering, is it as good as Dark Souls 1 DLC? I thought that was some of the best I've ever bought.

Vaga

So only after finally kiling orphan and receiving 177k souls reward I realized I was on ng+, no wonder he was eviscerating me in one combo. Also the hp increase bosses got in this dlc is brutal.

myco666

+9 weapon lol, its like telling you go for the DLC right after Mensis or the unseen village

To be fair you can get your weapon to +9 in few minutes after touching the skull. You still need some better gems mainly the on +18% you found in Yahar'gul for the DLC to feel 'fair' or at least it felt like it made a big difference against Ludwig.

Timeaisis

I still don't have my +18 gem. :) Just took Maria down. Challenge is fun, so far. The only really frustrating bit was the runup to Ludwig with the two giants, but I think that was my anger getting the best of me.

When should I go for Laurence? Maybe do the hamlet first? How's his difficulty compared to the other DLC bosses.

I'm so confused, my experience with the dlc at level 40 with a +6 weapon has been pretty simple. While killing dlc enemies takes more time than main game enemies (for non-old hunters, looking at one or two more hits, for actual old hunters, there are about the same to kill, just do more damage than regular hunters), I've not run into any difficulty wall. I will admit, I avoid the the old hunters more often than not since I don't see a point to bothering with them all of the time, but I don't think the difficulty is that high. Note, I am talking about the first section - up to Ludwig.

I'm at Ludwig right now, and beyond the standard dying while learning how to fight him, I'm doing ~230 damage per hit with my +6 beast cutter, two 12.x% damage gems and a 4.x% damage gem, which seem to be more than enough to make the boss totally doable (for reference, I was practising the boss with my +6 stake driver using slightly worse gems doing ~130 damage and doing quite well). As for stats I'm a military vet with 17 vit, 25 str and skill and base everything else. Considering that I haven't done any grinding, this is all totally doable just going up to Vicar Amelia and doing half the forest (for the extra twin blood stone shards to get another +6 weapon). Using the examples and recommendations everyone gives, I feel like I'd absolutely destroy the dlc and be over powered. Why is the recommendation and consensus so high and what are people usually equipped like after Vicar (stats + weapons)? Is it just the first part isn't actually bad, and the recommendations are for the following areas or what?

Instro

I still don't have my +18 gem. :) Just took Maria down. Challenge is fun, so far. The only really frustrating bit was the runup to Ludwig with the two giants, but I think that was my anger getting the best of me.

When should I go for Laurence? Maybe do the hamlet first? How's his difficulty compared to the other DLC bosses.

Well I went back to him after coming across the skull, I found him to be much harder than Ludwig. Could just be a build matchup thing though.

Optional boss are harder than the main bosses so yep, Laurence is hard if you are greedy

laxu

I'm so confused, my experience with the dlc at level 40 with a +6 weapon has been pretty simple. While killing dlc enemies takes more time than main game enemies (for non-old hunters, looking at one or two more hits, for actual old hunters, there are about the same to kill, just do more damage than regular hunters), I've not run into any difficulty wall. I will admit, I avoid the the old hunters more often than not since I don't see a point to bothering with them all of the time, but I don't think the difficulty is that high. Note, I am talking about the first section - up to Ludwig.

I'm at Ludwig right now, and beyond the standard dying while learning how to fight him, I'm doing ~230 damage per hit with my +6 beast cutter, two 12.x% damage gems and a 4.x% damage gem, which seem to be more than enough to make the boss totally doable (for reference, I was practising the boss with my +6 stake driver using slightly worse gems doing ~130 damage and doing quite well). As for stats I'm a military vet with 17 vit, 25 str and skill and base everything else. Considering that I haven't done any grinding, this is all totally doable just going up to Vicar Amelia and doing half the forest (for the extra twin blood stone shards to get another +6 weapon). Using the examples and recommendations everyone gives, I feel like I'd absolutely destroy the dlc and be over powered. Why is the recommendation and consensus so high and what are people usually equipped like after Vicar (stats + weapons)? Is it just the first part isn't actually bad, and the recommendations are for the following areas or what?

I tried the DLC shortly after killing Vicar Amelia, just to grab the new weapons. I felt that every fight even with the basic enemies took too much effort to make it enjoyable so I just made some suicide runs to grab gear. Apart from a few enemies later on, the Hunter's Nightmare is probably the toughest part of the DLC. It has several high powered enemies as well as multiple unique ones that are pretty tough as well.

You get a lot of benefit from having your STR and SKL so high. Low vitality and stamina is your main problem now.

Well I went back to him after coming across the skull, I found him to be much harder than Ludwig. Could just be a build matchup thing though.

As I've said many times in this thread I found Laurence insanely difficult(on NG++ at least). Ludwig was a cakewalk in comparison.

Doomsayer

Just 'fought' Ludwig for the first time... Holy shit. I have a feeling beating him is going to take a while. Maybe continuing on NG++ was a mistake.

Man, I started on NG+++ and was getting wrecked hard. I contemplated using my second character on NG+, but decided to press though. Beating in on NG+++ was one of the most satisfying them I've ever done. Stick with it! What BLVL are you?

Man, I started on NG+++ and was getting wrecked hard. I contemplated using my second character on NG+, but decided to press though. Beating in on NG+++ was one of the most satisfying them I've ever done. Stick with it! What BLVL are you?

I'm 129. I'm average at this game for sure, I'm not ashamed to say I got help with a lot of the bosses in the main game :D And this dude is on another level!

Timeaisis

Well, Orphan is down. That was ah hell of a fight. I had one blood vial left at the end of it. Christ.

On to Laurence, but maybe a break first, though. So far haven't had to summon yet.

I bought the DLC earlier this week. I started fresh from the beginning of the game and I've finally upgraded my character enough where I feel comfortable dealing with the Hunters and mob (level 80). It took me 5 attempts to beat Ludwig. The first time I was like "no fucking way am I going to beat him!". Then I summoned an NPC...he died quickly haha. Then I started to learn Ludwigs move-set and things started to click. The NPC works great for distractions; I just had to make sure I distracted Ludwig from the NPC so he wouldn't die so quickly. I managed to keep him alive until Ludwig had around 25% health left. A few hits and a visceral later, the words "You Slaughtered" appeared :)

So far I'm really enjoying the DLC! I'm currently in the clocktower and the atmosphere is horrific. I love it!

It took me 5 attempts to beat Ludwig. The first time I was like "no fucking way am I going to beat him!". Then I summoned an NPC...he died quickly haha. Then I started to learn Ludwigs move-set and things started to click. The NPC works great for distractions; I just had to make sure I distracted Ludwig from the NPC so he wouldn't die so quickly.

Better than me. But then I didn't know there was a nearby summon sign until attempt #20-something. After that, I killed him within a few tries. It was fine once you have some room to breathe, as the distraction that the NPC creates is s lifesaver. When I beat Ludwig, the NPC actually survived too.

Just bought the DLC, I was going to wait until I had finished MGS V completely but it was 50% off so went with it.

I noticed there is a new bell you get in the Hunters Dream what is that for?

I've not been there yet, but I remember someone said there is a new NPC in the woods, is that a new questline I should do?

Seems challenging so far, but I've not played the game for months so that doesn't help :) I am Lv 125, I had an end game character would had done all Chalice Dungeons, but I backed the save up before going into NG+ just in case (turns out that was a good idea).

I'm lvl110 and having absolutely no luck with Ludwig at all. I can barely do 10% damage.

I can't seem to avoid his jumping attack and everything that does hit me seems to stagger me just long enough to get burst down from full health before I can do anything.

I spend so much time just trying to avoid dying that I can hardly get a hit in.

zma1013

I'm lvl110 and having absolutely no luck with Ludwig at all. I can barely do 10% damage.

I can't seem to avoid his jumping attack and everything that does hit me seems to stagger me just long enough to get burst down from full health before I can do anything.

I spend so much time just trying to avoid dying that I can hardly get a hit in.

He has 2 jumping attacks, one of them he will jump straight from whatever position he is facing and immediately fall down and the other he will jump up and stay up there for a while an follow you around. The first jump can be beaten by simply running straight at him or left or right if you catch him jumping immediately. The second longer jump can be beaten by just simply running in a straight line and not stopping.

Beyond that you just gotta dodge to the tune of his attacks. I usually dodge straight towards his left side and smack the side of his leg then. Usually he will turn around at the point and I just repeat that. Just watch not to dodge into his big charging attack as that usually seems to kill in one hit.

What NG are you on?

First boss down! He's got some serious poke! So, are all the bosses even harder than him?

Can't use his sword yet as my Arcane isn't quite high enough. Is it worth using over my +10 Holy Sword?

(although I'd have to go into NG+ to get another Blood Rock).

So good being back into BloodBorne again, what a stunning game.

Hi, been preparing to play The Old Hunters at last (I bought it at launch but I've been playing other stuff).

Is it me or they nerfed Vicar Amelia? She didn't heal not even once while I remember when I fought against her for the first time she'd heal more than once during a fight. It's not that I'm complaining, after all it was kind of infuriating that you'd almost killed her and suddenly she decided to heal (happened to me a lot during my first playthrough). I also noticed that I'm getting more shards earlier in the game, was that part of a patch?

Am I imagining all this?

Anyways, I'm having fun playing with other weapons, I can't wait to try the new ones.

Hi, been preparing to play The Old Hunters at last (I bought it at launch but I've been playing other stuff).

Is it me or they nerfed Vicar Amelia? She didn't heal not even once while I remember when I fought against her for the first time she'd heal more than once during a fight. It's not that I'm complaining, after all it was kind of infuriating that you'd almost killed her and suddenly she decided to heal (happened to me a lot during my first playthrough). I also noticed that I'm getting more shards earlier in the game, was that part of a patch?

Am I imagining all this?

Anyways, I'm having fun playing with other weapons, I can't wait to try the new ones.

Same amelia, same droprate, maybe you explored a little bit more and didnt upgrade several weapons this time

Is Simon the Harrowed missable?

I met him in the shortcut back to the first lamp, and answered yes to his question.

After that, he is supposed to appear after killing the first boss, but he hasn't. I moved onto the area immediately after it, where you find a new lamp (at the top of a lift), and I read he should appear there too (assumingly, after the 2nd encounter).

I'd like to get his weapon, so I really want to see him again. Is there something I am missing? He should be at the first boss room, right? I haven't progressed into the
Research Hall
yet, just got to the lamp at the top of the lift.

cheers!

I met him in the shortcut back to the first lamp, and answered yes to his question.

After that, he is supposed to appear after killing the first boss, but he hasn't. I moved onto the area immediately after it, where you find a new lamp (at the top of a lift), and I read he should appear there too (assumingly, after the 2nd encounter).

I'd like to get his weapon, so I really want to see him again. Is there something I am missing? He should be at the first boss room, right? I haven't progressed into the
Research Hall

cheers!

IIRC you need to fast travel to that lamp to get him to show up there.

myco666

Research Hall

cheers!

You need to finish Research Hall in order to make him appear next to that lamp.

Top Bottom