• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodrayne: Betrayal - XBLA, PSN (developed by WayForward) [Up: First Screenshot]

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Criminal Upper said:
What am I looking at?

Why is Rayne blurred? And is this 2D, or some weird cell-shaded 2.5D thing? Can't tell.

What a poor first screenshot.

Looks like a really bad flash game to me.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
BR2 was one of my favorite action games last gen, the 1st one was so/so, not a bad 3PS for the price I paid for it. I wonder if they'll get Laura Bailey to voice Rayne again. She made that character.

Radogol

angelfly said:
That screenshot doesn't inspire much confidence though.

Where is it from, I wonder... Looks like the kind of screenshot you'd send to a programmer along with a bug report.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Part of me thinks the game is an IP relevance test. Not saying the games are anywhere equal but I wonder if the positive results for Bayonetta got Majesco think BR could work for this gen. It's probably better than Wet anyway.

green sticker

Neo Member
ultron87 said:
What the hell is even going on in that screen shot?

I can't tell either. This seems like a huge change from previous games? However, I've never played any of the Blood Rayne games. Am I missing out?

Radogol

truly101 said:
Part of me thinks the game is an IP relevance test. Not saying the games are anywhere equal but I wonder if the positive results for Bayonetta got Majesco think BR could work for this gen. It's probably better than Wet anyway.

Hmm, the genre they've chosen doesn't seem to support your theory.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Radogol said:
Hmm, the genre they've chosen doesn't seem to support your theory.

But for a full console game, it would probably be an action game just like BR2 was. Majesco would probably use sales of this game to guage if there is any interest in another console BR game, thats my guess.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
careksims said:
What kind of screen shot is that?! I'm trying to figure out where Bloodrayne is!

Shes blurred out, to the right of the image.

Certainly a bad screenshot to show.

Raging Spaniard said:
Shes blurred out, to the right of the image.

Certainly a bad screenshot to show.

Maybe they're trying to cover up that this game is actually a sequel to
Shantae
and Rayne is really
Vampire Shantae

This is definitely a day one purchase. It's probably been stated already, but I think this is the first game they've done, in quite awhile, that hasn't been released on a Nintendo console or handheld.

Is she going to be running around topless or something? Why is she censored?

I don't like style. It's too clean. It looks more like a Cartoon Network show than their past sprite work.

Galdelico

I'm still excited and looking forward to this game, it's been a gen now, that I beg for a new Bloodrayne...
Having said that, this first screenshot looks awful and definitely not hype-bursting to me.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Probably not the best choice for a single first screenshot.

Ahoi-Brause said:
Why isn't this pixel based?
Those huge sprites look like something from a flash cartoon.
Because high res pixel art is a pain in the ass to animate, plain and simple.

Also, wtf at the "looks like a flash cartoon" whenever hand-drawn 2D is shown. I thought we had gotten past this crap.

Jocchan said:

Also, wtf at the "looks like a flash cartoon" whenever hand-drawn 2D is shown. I thought we had gotten past this crap.
No wai, making something that looks nice is such torture. Too much effort let's just make everything look like shovelware instead.

That's bullshit and you know it.

What's the benefit if it looks cheap as shit?

The scott pilgrim game pulled the pixel look off fine and so do the new king of fighters games.
Spoiler:
Having a job and being serious about it can be a pain in the ass. That's the whole fucking point of having a job in the first place.
That's also the reason why many western games show a terrifying lack of artistic vision, because some babies cry how it would bo OH SO HARD to actually put effort into it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Ahoi-Brause said:
No wai, making something that looks nice is such torture. Too much effort let's just make everything look like shovelware instead.

That's bullshit and you know it.

What's the benefit if it looks cheap as shit?

The scott pilgrim game pulled the pixel look off fine and so do the new king of fighters games.
Spoiler:
Having a job and being serious about it can be a pain in the ass. That's the whole fucking point of having a job in the first place.
That's also the reason why many western games show a terrifying lack of artistic vision, because some babies cry how it would bo OH SO HARD to actually put effort into it.

Dude, really? I gave you the reason why hand-drawn animation can be preferred to pixel art (much easier and cheaper), no need to melt down against LAZY DEVS too unprofessional to do their job.

No, devs are not lazy. No, they are not unprofessional. Devs have deadlines and limited budgets, and need to finish a game under those conditions. Games aren't made with fairy dust and magic, you know.

Stumpokapow said:
Majesco clearly likes WayForward. It's really obvious they enjoy working with one another. Hopefully they get a breakout hit at some point.

Which is odd since A Boy and His Blob bombed.

cj_iwakura said:
Contra 4 is the standard by which all run and guns must be judged.

As great as Uprising was, it's still no Contra 4.

Contra 4 really is worthy of its numbered title.

The game was incredible. It was literally a lost SNES game (or more like a SNES 32X game).

Ahoi-Brause said:
Why isn't this pixel based?
Those huge sprites look like something from a flash cartoon.

Pixel art is very time consuming and expensive. Hand drawn isn't that time consuming and is very cheap.

Jocchan said:
Probably not the best choice for a single first screenshot.

Most people don't realize the stigma for flash is about tweening, they just assume that using the program in any way is lazy.

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
Most people don't realize the stigma for flash is about tweening, they just assume that using the program in any way is lazy.

Even "programming" the characters to animate is a lot more work than people think. Its a real mystery to me why people think this. Though not as big of a reason why people use Flash to animate with. Its the Windows XP of the animation world.

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
The stigma about drawing with flash is that it automatically smoothes lines if you don't turn that feature off and things end up looking undynamic and stiff.

And I'm not debating here that creating games is hard work, it's just no excuse to be sloppy. "Oh my job is so hard and I got deadlines, that's why things look subpar".

That might be the case and it's a sad fact, but on the other hand - why shouldn't this excuse anyone from criticism?

When the deadlines are harsh you have to find a way to make things look nice and to survive creating the game.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
The negative stigma for Flash is mostly due to the association most people make with cheap amateur-ish games.

Ahoi-Brause said:
The stigma about drawing with flash is that it automatically smoothes lines if you don't turn that feature off and things end up looking undynamic and stiff.

And I'm not debating here that creating games is hard work, it's just no excuse to be sloppy. "Oh my job is so hard and I got deadlines, that's why things look subpar".

That might be the case and it's a sad fact, but on the other hand - why shouldn't this excuse anyone from criticism?

When the deadlines are harsh you have to find a way to make things look nice and to survive creating the game.
Going for an artstyle more suitable for your budget, in this case a cartoon/anime-ish style, is neither sloppy nor lazy.

Or are you implying every single game, downloadable or not, should look like Crysis "just because"? I hope you're not.

It's reasonable to complain about the execution (I, for one, don't think sprites and bg mesh well in this screenshot, and so many assets scream "placeholder" to me), but yelling at a cloud for lazy devs not bothering to do stuff well beyond their budget, as 720p pixel art is likely to be even with WayForward employing extremely talented animators, is definitely not reasonable.

5L74W.jpg

WDKGM.jpg

M.D

That looks... OK?

Not sure what to make up from those screens. I don't really like the art style so far.
The most interesting question is the gameplay - is this going to be a standard 2D side-scrolling beat 'em up or will it have anything to do with Vampires gameplay wise aside from the background story?

Uh, new screenshoots! ... And we can't yet seen Rayne face, uhmmm...

Many lament about the art style (too cartonish, and the amount of blood is ridiculous), but for me, that worst is the GUI: they're really using A Comic-Sans look-a-like for that?!?

Wow, that art style sure is different, but I like it. Definitely using the team from Boy and His Blob on this.

SolidSnakeX, can you please settle on a profile pic?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Reminds me of The Dishwasher games but with Bloodrayne. Doesnt look bad but I need to see it in motion before making any comments about the look.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Santerestil said:
Many lament about the art style (too cartonish, and the amount of blood is ridiculous), but for me, that worst is the GUI: they're really using A Comic-Sans look-a-like for that?!?
That's not a Comic Sans lookalike.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Really not liking the points board there. Big opaque obstruction that blots out 1/4 of the action on the screen, and a horrible font to boot. Either make less obtrusive notifications that pop up one at a time, or move it to the top left where there's some space to play with.

Neiteio

WayForward? These are the people who made Contra 4 and Shantae. That's a damn good pedigree if you ask me. Plus they're working in their element, side-scrollers, and with what looks to be some slick art direction (silhouette levels recall DKCR). I always thought of BloodRayne as a low-tier franchise, but if anyone can breathe respectable life into it, it might as well be these guys. :)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I'll wait till we see footage before passing a judgement. Those sprites are half the screen tall, if the animation is up to par (almost guaranteed), this could look very impressive.

Top Bottom