• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boy refuses to live as male; parents seek help of therapists, opt for delayed puberty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckie

TommyT said:
I wanted to be a Tammy.

tammyt.jpg

FoneBone

Mr.Awesome said:
Yes, I am American so unfortunately a good bit of news does come from places like Fox news and MSNBC. I don't see how it's misleading though. The headline is indeed what is happening, and then posted the whole article for everyone to read, purposefully not offering any of my own commentary.
Would you mind telling us why you emphasized that this was a lesbian couple, moreso than the actual article did?

Gaborn

Trojita said:
That is very odd if true. At 3 years old the concept of gender is still forming.

It would usually be that if they were signing they would say Tommy was a boy and point to themselves to say their girls. The concept wouldn't mean much at that time to the child except knowing that word as an identifier for themselves.

I disagree with this COMPLETELY. From birth boys are put in blue blankets and girls in pink blankets. Baby girls are given more girly toys and baby boys are given more boyish toys.

Aside from that though there is ample evidence that gender is deeply ingrained, as the tragic tale of David Reimer attests. Though in his case an accident during circumcision destroyed his penis and he was sexually reassigned by his parents to be raised as a girl. Problem being he WASN'T a girl and knew it early on and was constantly acting out against it.

Think of this as the exact same situation only the SRS hasn't been performed yet. David Reimer's mind KNEW he was a boy, just like Tammy's mind apparently KNOWS she is a girl.

2th said:
Kid will regret it come high school where he/she/it gets tormented mercilessly. Which will possibly result in suicide which will possibly result in lawsuits for bullying. Yeah... how did anyone think this was a good idea?

What. The. Fuck.

Trojita said:
That is very odd if true. At 3 years old the concept of gender is still forming.

It would usually be that if they were signing they would say Tommy was a boy and point to themselves to say their girls. The concept wouldn't mean much at that time to the child except knowing that word as an identifier for themselves.

Along those lines, part of me is wondering if perhaps they jumped on board a bit too quick given his age. But again, a LOT of context is missing.

Snaku

Banned
Stet said:
Hormone blockers don't make him any less of a male, people, jesus. They delay the onset of puberty so he has more time to decide the road he's on so he doesn't end up killing himself like a lot of other transexuals have.

This. And it's a lot harder to SRS after puberty and be "passable." Look up Kim Petras, who started treatment at 12. No way would she look like that if she hadn't started so early, and I'm sure her life is a lot easier because of it.

wa8dO.jpg

jaxword

DeaconKnowledge said:
He's a male.

They are indirectly influencing him towards sex change therapy.

Didn't say I supported it or didn't support it. Only that I understand how they see their intentions as right.

Guys, the doctor they quoted in the article works for Fox News health. There are also studies disagreeing with him when he says that it's a disorder of the mind, not the body.

Article is a troll.

Ferrio

Banned
This thread's responses depress me. Not surprising though. We can't even have a virtual transgender person (Poison) without people losing their shit.

Instro

A lot of people seem to be not reading the full article...? I mean from the first paragraph or so you might think that the parents are crazy, but after reading about the kid calling himself a girl and threatening to mutilate himself it's much more understandable. It sounds like this was recommended to them by doctors and therapists, and its a much better solution to the problem rather than having the kid do something drastic down the line.

akira28

Kurdel said:
Must.... Resist... Avatar quote...

Also, people are reeeaaallllyyyy ignorant in this thread. Go read up and come back when you grasp, what is at hand here.

You didn't even like my joke :(

GhaleonEB said:
Setting gay adoption back years in the process.

zomg so many ways. Some State Senator in Alabama just high fived himself.

And they're not "fucking with" his hormones, they're just delaying them. He'd develop completely normally if he stopped taking them, the doctor they're quoting is just throwing around what-ifs not based on any kind of medical science.

Kurdel

Banned
2th said:
Kid will regret it come high school where he/she/it gets tormented mercilessly. Which will possibly result in suicide which will possibly result in lawsuits for bullying. Yeah... how did anyone think this was a good idea?

Your view of the world is really astonishing.

Not only you don't understand the situation at hand, but are generous enough to think of the poor "he/she/it"s feelings? They should of asked your advice rather than the myriad of medical profesionals!

Read the article, they are taking the time to not make a mistake.

The source if fox, so it's going to be worded to make it seem like it's something its not.

The boy ALREADY STATED that he wanted to be a girl. So instead of making him a girl they are simply trying to delay it so that he doesn't make a terrible decision.

And usually, when a boy states that he wants to be a girl, and he dresses up like a girl reglarly, it not just "confusion" or some other bullshit someone makes up.

Getting a sex change later is an option, but last I checked, the earlier a sex change occurs, the better its overall outcome.

FoneBone said:
Would you mind telling us why you emphasized that this was a lesbian couple, moreso than the actual article did?
To illustrate the sex difference (i.e. lesbian couple infers 2 women and boy, well, infers boy).

jeremyxc

Banned
People drastically effect others at such a young age..
This isn't helping the gay marriage argument either,
make responsible choices people..

send them straight to jail

Gaborn

GhaleonEB said:
Setting gay adoption back years in the process.

Idiots, and terrible parents, to boot.

Can you explain in what way this is true?

Utako - That's not how hormones work.

Acerac

Banned
jeremyxc said:
People drastically effect others at such a young age..
This isn't helping the gay marriage argument either,
make responsible choices people..

Did you read the entirety of the OP before making this post?

This isn't their decision to make. Firstly nature decides, then if you want, you can do something about it.

The likelyhood of straight parents doing this is slim, but let's be real - this couple are a pair of idiots regardless of their sexuality and in no way represent gay parents.

Levyne

Banned
As a side note, I'm impressed and amazed that we have the medical knowledge and capability to make the physical transformation from male to female (or opposite) through hormone therapy and srs. Shit's amazing. Sucks so many people lived and died without having any options for correction.

(Correction may not be the best word, anything more appropriate?)

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Sol.. said:
i'm confused. some of the comments aren't matching what i'm reading. Because it sounds like they are doing whatever they can to make sure this kid has to chance to make a informed decision.
I don't think the child can make an informed decision until they've gone through puberty. That's a very confusing time for everyone, and not allowing the process to take place naturally is more likely to cause a misinformed decision than letting it occur, I would think.

Gender identity is a very complex thing that isn't truly well understood even in the field of developmental psychology. If the child is a transsexual, that's a somewhat different matter, but still. All of this seems premature to judge cognitively for the child, and the parents should be supportive, but not probing, imo.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Kurdel said:

Not only you don't understand the situation at hand, but are generous enough to think of the poor "he/she/it"s feelings? They should of asked your advice rather than the myriad of medical profesionals!

I did actually know a person in high-school who felt so androgynous that they asked their close friends to use gender-neutral pronouns when referring to them. Just saying in response to the scorn some people are giving the he/she/it comment.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
*sigh*

Bad parents.

Ferrio said:
This thread's responses depress me. Not surprising though. We can't even have a virtual transgender person (Poison) without people losing their shit.

Why? Because some people don't agree with your view of the world?

Get over it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Gaborn said:
I disagree with this COMPLETELY. From birth boys are put in blue blankets and girls in pink blankets. Baby girls are given more girly toys and baby boys are given more boyish toys.

Aside from that though there is ample evidence that gender is deeply ingrained, as the tragic tale of David Reimer attests. Though in his case an accident during circumcision destroyed his penis and he was sexually reassigned by his parents to be raised as a girl. Problem being he WASN'T a girl and knew it early on and was constantly acting out against it.

Think of this as the exact same situation only the SRS hasn't been performed yet. David Reimer's mind KNEW he was a boy, just like Tammy's mind apparently KNOWS she is a girl.

What. The. Fuck.
I doubt the baby is really thinking about the color of the blanket right after it was born. We assign a gender identifier, but a baby could care less.

A lot of toddler toys are gender neutral.

David Reimer was biologically a boy with a mutilation, that's a bit different different than this. Besides that, he started identifying as a boy during puberty. This is a bit different from a fucking toddler saying "I'm a girl"

Gaborn

Charoncaori said:
I think this is the first pro-Fox News thread I've seen on this entire site.

I think GAF just doesn't understand what is going on. The fact of the sensationalized article rife with scare quotes doesn't help either, but much of this is simply ignorance about transgender people.

Acerac

Banned
Charoncaori said:
I think this is the first pro-Fox News thread I've seen on this entire site.
In all fairness most people who are agreeing with it didn't seem to actually read the article.

Pachterballs said:
HOW IS THIS NOT A CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY.

WTF AM I READING!?
Based on your outrage, I'm assuming you're just reading the title of the thread and not the contents of it?

FoneBone

OK, to be blunter: that this is a lesbian couple probably does make them more open to such treatment than many straight couples. But beyond that, it's not directly relevant unless you're trying to push some nonsense about LESBIANS imposing a SINISTER LESBIAN GENDER AGENDA on an INNOCENT LITTLE BOY. In which case...

get bent. Seriously.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
This is amazing. It's like unbolded letters are invisible to people.

Hormone blockers sound actually like a good idea in this case. They're just postponing the decision until he's older and can decide by himself.

Gaborn said:
I think GAF just doesn't understand what is going on. The fact of the sensationalized article rife with scare quotes doesn't help either, but much of this is simply ignorance about transgender people.
To be fair, the subject matter is pretty damn confusing. I had no idea this stuff was so involved before I made friends with a group of people that included a transgender person and had a few heated discussions.
My boyfriend and I still argue whether Sheik is a guy or a girl.

akira28

Gaborn said:
Can you explain in what way this is true?

I'm not going to malign the parents because they seem to want to do right by their kid. This isn't necessarily wrong, its just a difficult question that some didn't want to address so early. Especially since homophobia in the South has been fighting gay marriage and especially gay adoption for decades because they believe gay adoption will breed gender issues and more homosexuality. This doesn't prove or support anything like that, but it gives them plenty of ammo to misrepresent the issue to their low information audience that is ready to believe that anyway.

jeremyxc said:

Thats a lot much.

TheNatural

My Member!
I wonder if this situation was opposite, and a child felt he should be bigger and parents put him on roids to bulk up. If someone wants to make the decision when they're 18 and legally able to make those decisions, that's fine with me. An 11 year old has no idea what they're getting into, they just accept what the parents are giving them.

Is there a specific age of when a person identifies with a gender? Honestly, I thought it was puberty that more or less made us do that do to the onslaught of hormones. Not to get into environmental expectations, but I thought that's why we see little boys put on their sisters dresses and whatever the vice versa would be.

2th

Banned
Kurdel said:

when someone has a confused gender identity and in this situation it is obvious the child doesnt know for certain if it wants to be a girl yet... then i typically use he/she/it to cover my bases.... way to see something sinister in there when there isnt.

as for the kids feelings... its high school, also known as one of the most emotionally unstable periods in the life of any human being. straight kids have it hard, gay kids have it hard, and a transgendered kid is going to have it just as hard. are you so naive as to not think that this is going to cause an issue for the kid in high school where mocking and torment are common place? regardless of any preparation they do the kid will still have problems. that is how high school works.

ToxicAdam

Medical practitioners have to be careful with children with gender identity issues, said Dr. Kenneth Zucker, head of the Gender Identity Service in the Child, Youth, and Family Program and professor at the University of Toronto. Giving children hormone blockers to kids before the age of 13 is too early, he said.

Zucker conducted a study following 109 boys who had gender identity disorder between the ages of 3 and 12. Researchers followed up at the mean age of 20 and found 12% of these boys continued to want to change genders.

"The vast majority of children lose their desire to be of the other gender later," he said. "So what that means is that one should be very cautious in assuming say that a 6-year-old who has strong desire to be of the other gender will feel that way 10 years later."

Here's a CNN article, if people have problems with the OP's source.

Acerac said:
In all fairness most people who are agreeing with it didn't seem to actually read the article.

Based on your outrage, I'm assuming you're just reading the title of the thread and not the contents of it?

I read it. I disagree with what is being done. I get that he thinks he's female.

Kurdel

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
I did actually know a person in high-school who felt so androgynous that they asked their close friends to use gender-neutral pronouns when referring to them. Just saying in response to the scorn some people are giving the he/she/it comment.

Oh ok! Your anecdotal experience makes it MUCH less offensive not that I think about it.

Oh wait. No it doesn't.

He/she or he/she/it is generally used in a dismissive or dirisive manner. I don't think it's okay, and usually correct people even if they have no bad intentions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom