• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brad Sams talks Xbox Series X's " Sustained Performance "

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
So how does that work?. " Man i cant wait to play Ghosts tomorrow....wait what this on Twitter, XSX doesnt boost or downclock eh?. Man this has really put me off buying Ghosts now ffs".
It's called marketing lol these companies will do anything to try to minimize any gain from the competition

REE Machine

Banned
So focused on the power of old games they completely forgot to show up with the new ones.....

Last edited:

soulbait

Xbox Twitter comes across as very fanboyish and not at all professional.
Since when has the above points in that tweet ever mattered.
It's like it was posted by your resident Xbox forum fanboy.
The points posted is what I see people argue over on these forums every single day.
It's quite unbelievable.

Wait, you are saying that a Twitter account that is ran by a corporation is overly positive and are super fans of their own product!? How scandalous.

They are using that Twitter as a marketing tool. Why would it be any different?

longdi

Banned
It's great to see you build it up so high, the fall will be glorious to behold.

Same can be said of the other way.
It is really down to which side of the fence you believe in.

From my own gamer experience, and from what i seen of MS openess, since the inception of XOne.
I placed my bets on Phil's team to deliver the tangible difference. 🤷‍♀️

Hobbygaming

It is time for all gamers to accept MS designed a better and more powerful console for next gen. Sony has been out-thought.
'Sustained' is going to hit home hard, just wait. :messenger_bicep:

What is left is the price war.
We'll see ;) something tells me it will come down to the 1st party games like it always does. Also

lxxqiBq.jpg

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Seriously, noone ever markets based on the idea that performance is sustained because for 99.9% of people its a basic expectation that performance isn't going to degrade under certain circumstances.

Its anathema because its putting a negative in the minds of the audience, and the last thing anyone wants is their product to have negative associations.

So, by trying to attack Sony, who have already framed the variability in their performance as a positive (under heavy load, the PS5 unlocks its untapped power-reserves), they are mainly weakening their own pitch.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Well they have the better hardware this time around but that counts for nothing without the games. It's time for Microsoft to shit or get off the pot, and show us what they've been working on.

CrysisFreak

Banned
That Brad Sams vid is godawful.
>implying in a very delusional way PS5's SSD performance ain't sustained
just
>throwing shade at Sony
more like embarrassing themselves
>using the term "most compatible"
>Brad Sams saying sustained performance means less bottlenecks
Please don't link this shit anymore.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Didn't know the "Road to PS5" was a tweet?
No one said it was? (annoying question mark when not actually a question)

The tweet in the OP is 2 months old BTW.. this thread is just some pot stirring BS.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

That Brad Sams vid is godawful.
>implying in a very delusional way PS5's SSD performance ain't sustained
just
>throwing shade at Sony
more like embarrassing themselves
>using the term "most compatible"
>Brad Sams saying sustained performance means less bottlenecks
Please don't link this shit anymore.
Brad Sams like Tom Warren seem to be vying for a job at Xbox or something lol

But I do believe the PS5 SSD does have variable performance (which is normal for an SSD.) MS has some tech that keeps their performance sustained; of course it's also a lot slower... soooo.

But how is MS embarrassing themselves? They didn't throw any shade at Sony.. they didn't even really reference Sony at all in the Velocity Architecture blog that Sams is claiming they did. They just described their tech, in a not shade-throwy way. Unless I'm missing something... Brad Sams is embarrassing himself but how is it MS's fault some try-hard journalist makes a video like this?

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
Xbox Twitter comes across as very fanboyish and not at all professional.
Since when has the above points in that tweet ever mattered.
It's like it was posted by your resident Xbox forum fanboy.
The points posted is what I see people argue over on these forums every single day.
It's quite unbelievable.
I bet you loved that Sony game sharing video in 2013, didn't you? Was that professional?

Brad Sams like Tom Warren seem to be vying for a job at Xbox or something lol

But I do believe the PS5 SSD does have variable performance (which is normal for an SSD.) MS has some tech that keeps their performance sustained; of course it's also a lot slower... soooo.

But how is MS embarrassing themselves? They didn't throw any shade at Sony.. they didn't even really reference Sony at all in the Velocity Architecture blog that Sams is claiming they did. They just described their tech, in a not shade-throwy way. Unless I'm missing something... Brad Sams is embarrassing himself but how is it MS's fault some try-hard journalist makes a video like this?

Because MS is personally responsible for each and every full-grown adult that associates with their console even for the most ridiculous of things they may say on social media, because of course those people are just shills and getting paid but there's never any receipts to back that up as evidence, only senseless accusations and hearsay.

Like I said this thread is a full-on embarrassment; as you say the article doesn't have any jabs at Sony and just gives a synopsis on aspects of Velocity Architecture that were already mentioned much earlier, for general folks who are not already informed on what it is. Someone reading into that as a diss track is bad enough, what's worst is other people somehow flipping that back to the company that makes a piece of plastic they don't even want to like regardless of what it does, and trying to shame a megaconglomerate for an individual's misinterpretation.

This is schoolyard antics and most of the people here are supposed to be adults. Embarrassing.

longdi

Banned
We'll see ;) something tells me it will come down to the 1st party games like it always does. Also

This is what Mark himself said

"they expect the gpu to spend most of its time at or close to 2.23ghz and perfomance."

Doesn't it sound like, at times it cant even sustain close to their marketed perfomance? As someone mentioned, even a 3-5% drop in frequency, brings its performance below 10TF, where a 5% loss , it becomes a 9.75TF machine 🤷‍♀️

Thats also a draw back for depending on lower CUs + highly theoretical clocks.

Any small pecentage moves, it hits your perfomance harder.

MS is on to something with their 'sustained performance' attacks.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

This is what Mark himself said

"they expect the gpu to spend most of its time at or close to 2.23ghz and perfomance."

Doesn't it sound like, at times it cant even sustain close to their marketed perfomance? As someone mentioned, even a 3-5% drop in frequency, brings its performance below 10TF, where a 5% loss , it becomes a 9.75TF machine 🤷‍♀️

Thats also a draw back for depending on lower CUs + highly theoretical clocks.

Any small pecentage moves, it hits your perfomance harder.

MS is on to something with their 'sustained performance' attacks.

Except there are many variables like the XSX having a split ram pool and also each CU needs GPU resources to run code and it's harder to develop for 52 CUs. We also have to see who has found the better work around for bottlenecks :)

I think a lot of people are in for a surprise when they see how close these consoles are

onQ123

Except there are many variables like the XSX having a split ram pool and also each CU needs GPU resources to run code and it's harder to develop for 52 CUs. We also have to see who has found the better work around for bottlenecks :)

I think a lot of people are in for a surprise when they see how close these consoles are

It's not harder to develop for more CU's

IntentionalPun

Their job is to cover Microsoft. What do you expect them to be doing?
I honestly don't know WTF Brad Sams job is or how it relates to his blogs/videos. He runs a media group.

Tom Warren used to work for an MS centric tech site, but he is now Senior Editor of Verge, tasked with covering all technology, but clearly has an MS bias. His job is not to cover Microsoft specifically.

And even if it was.. that doesn't change what I'm saying. You can "cover" someone without being biased towards them. Tom Warren in particular is supposed to be a journalist, not running a fan site.

I just find it funny.. it makes Tom in particular look like a tool from time to time because TBH he's not incredibly tech literate either.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

It's not harder to develop for more CU's
I don't think that's true. From a developer's words, it's harder to fill more CUs with work at all times to get the theoretical 12 Tflops. Many of the CUs are dropped if the work isn't properly distributed

EX: 52 CUs to 20 CUs

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I honestly don't know WTF Brad Sams job is or how it relates to his blogs/videos. He runs a media group.

Tom Warren used to work for an MS centric tech site, but he is now Senior Editor of Verge, tasked with covering all technology, but clearly has an MS bias. His job is not to cover Microsoft specifically.

And even if it was.. that doesn't change what I'm saying. You can "cover" someone without being biased towards them. Tom Warren in particular is supposed to be a journalist, not running a fan site.

I just find it funny.. it makes Tom in particular look like a tool from time to time because TBH he's not incredibly tech literate either.
I heard him specifically say on a podcast that his focus is on Microsoft technology at the Verge. That is clearly his role there.

oldergamer

I mean Xbox has 15 studios ( possibly more ) where the majority are now working on multiple games at once. The days of xbox has no games are pretty much over. Forget the "we'll see nonsense".

IntentionalPun

I heard him specifically say on a podcast that his focus is on Microsoft technology at the Verge. That is clearly his role there.
He clearly focuses on it; but he writes articles for The Verge across all kinds of tech.

And either way he comes across as a tool trying to curry favor. Which is not shocking, it's normal for enthusiast "press", but he could go about it way better. He ignores criticism, makes claims that aren't technically sound, etc. And it's incredibly rare for him to not come across as a cheerleader; there's a difference between being assigned to focus on a company and writing for a fan site.

He's biased; which isn't the end of the world.. there's just better ways to go about it.

Last edited:

Thief1987

I mean Xbox has 15 studios ( possibly more ) where the majority are now working on multiple games at once. The days of xbox has no games are pretty much over. Forget the "we'll see nonsense".
Yeah now we have gamepass fillers like bleeding edge, i'm sure all 15 players of that game are very excited for bright xbox future

KAL2006

Banned
I think Microsoft haven't gotten over that sharing a video game video.

Nothing will ever beat that move from Sony.

Last edited:

Yams

Even parts of the GPU will benefit more from the higher clock speed

Sure, but does that make it more advanced than Xbox Series X?

Both systems are very close. We won't know definitively which console is better until we get benchmarks. Even then, it's likely each will be better at different things.

geordiemp

So anyother you tuber who just repeats marketing and knows nothing technical.

Sustained MS SSD now compared to Sony who likes peak

Backed up by nothing other than FUD, so we can ignore that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom