• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brad Sams talks Xbox Series X's " Sustained Performance "

geordiemp

Another sony fan upset for somebody pointing out the obvious (sustained=better than variable)

What is his evidence for sustained SSD spead vs Ps5 ?

None, move along. Is logic and reasoning hard for you, some people are challenged.

Are you really thick, all you do is personal insults, people like X-fighter are fun to discuss with, you are just sad.

Maybe you should write to Cerny and ask them to change the SSD spec from 5.5 Gbs and 22 Gbs max to half that if ps5 gets warm, and ask all Ps5 developers to listen to your excellent technical advice and change their target streaming performance because Eeastwood on GAF says so. /s

Last edited:

Dr Bass

If you're a "fan" of one platform, you're going to have to accept there are fans of competing platforms who won't think the way you do. It's ok. Brad Sams/Tom Warren/Paul Thurrott can be Microsoft fanboys if they want. There are plenty of Apple fanboys like John Gruber, Rene Ritchie, and Jim Dalrymple. I don't know who the Sony fans in the media are honestly. But plenty of clearly slanted coverage of stuff out there.

What is his evidence for sustained SSD spead vs Ps5 ?

None, move along. Is logic and reasoning hard for you, some people are challenged.

Are you really thick, all you do is personal insults, people like X-fighter are fun to discuss with, you are just sad.
MS's own words (jason ronald)in terms of XSX's SSD being sustained. Don't know about PS5's but Cerny or Sony have not disclosed that info.

Last edited:

onQ123

Sure, but does that make it more advanced than Xbox Series X?

Both systems are very close. We won't know definitively which console is better until we get benchmarks. Even then, it's likely each will be better at different things.

I didn't say it was completely more advanced I said it was more advance than the Xbox SX in more ways than the Xbox SX is more advance than the PS5.

it's always going to depend on the approach of the devs

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Then the video is tripe isnt it, as its sugegsting ps5 is only peak SSD speed. based out of his arse.

End.
I think it's being assumed from this slide:

71338_510_playstation-5-ssd-speeds-hit-9gb-sec-with-custom-12-channel-design_full.png

The "at least"

edit: Sounds like this was a slide showing their "goal" and they later explained they actually reached 5.5GB/second.

Last edited:
Then the video is tripe isnt it, as its sugegsting ps5 is only peak SSD speed. based out of his arse.

End.
We'll see. I guess he's basing that on the fact that Sony has been hyping up their SSD and have yet to mention one key fact: if that number is even peak or sustained, yet MS comes out confidently and says XSX SSD number is sustained.

Or, he's gotten inside info from somebody. He does have insider resources.

geordiemp

71338_510_playstation-5-ssd-speeds-hit-9gb-sec-with-custom-12-channel-design_full.png

The "at least"

Based on compression ratio, which has since improved and both consoles jave RDO BCn compression. So no. Estimated load times have to take into account variable compression of BCn.

We'll see. I guess he's basing that on the fact that Sony has been hyping up their SSD and have yet to mention one key fact: if that number is even peak or sustained, yet MS comes out confidently and says XSX SSD number is sustained.

Not one key fact ...mmm

1. Spiderman loaded in 0.8 seconds.
2. Speed 5.5 Gbs
3. Max decompress speed 22 Gbs
4. Typical with Kraken 8-9 Gbs
5. Sony have bought for all ps4 and ps5 oodle texture so additional 2 x for textures BCn over the 8-9 Gbs
6 Ratchet and clank world changes gameplay
7. UE5 demo and Epic comments on more than next gen level SSD (lets skip the superlatives, there were allot, i can link you all the tweets if you want).

Thats more than MS, we have yet to see one thing load quickly. Just 1.

What are you referencing lol.

Last edited:

TalentedMrJ

Here is a tweet from Xbox saying Xbox Series X will not have Downclocking or Boost Mode.

Quote is useless showing a game that originally released in 2006...

Time to shut up about power and produce NEW games.

They better kill it on the 23rd

Last edited:

geordiemp

Yes and we already saw PS5 1st party exclusives at the sony event. Nothing wowed anybody. But they looked solid.

I thought the Ratchet busy enemy numbers, screen activity and particles screemed Zen2 to me. You wont see that on Jaguar.

Lets see how busy halo infinite looks if it runs on Jaguar - you realise if there are 6 enemy spawn with similar animations and movements it will just show last gen is over, which we all know deep down even if you dont want to admit it. At least the frame rate will be high with simpler requirements...

Last edited:

cireza

Xbox Twitter comes across as very fanboyish and not at all professional.
Since when has the above points in that tweet ever mattered.
It's like it was posted by your resident Xbox forum fanboy.
The points posted is what I see people argue over on these forums every single day.
It's quite unbelievable.
Sony was super professionnal in their video on how to lend a PS4 game to someone.

ZywyPL

Banned
Anyone talking about sustained performance in a console or PC when it will always be different performance depending on the tasks & coding is a dummy lol.

Yeah, it's not like all the CPUs and GPUs inside PCs, laptops, smartphones etc. throttle, it's all just a mass imagination, and all the benchmarks in the web are fake, manipulated.

I thought the Ratchet busy enemy numbers, screen activity and particles screemed Zen2 to me. You wont see that on Jaguar.

Lets see how busy halo infinite looks if it runs on Jaguar - you realise if there are 6 enemie spawn with similar animations and movements it will just show last gen is over, which we all know deep down even if you dont want to admit it. At leats the frame rate will be high with simpler requirements...

I disagree. With the exception of the 1-2 second loading warp scenes, that game could easily be a cross gen game running on a PS4 with toned down resolution and other effects. It looked solid on PS5, but nothing wow factor.

IntentionalPun

Based on compression ratio, which has since improved and both consoles jave RDO BCn compression. So no. Estimated load times have to take into account variable compression of BCn.
That slide doesn't reference compression and says "bandwidth."

I don't think it's proof of anything myself, but I think it does seem like it makes it possible that the SSD isn't always as 5.5GB/second. It's odd that they listed 5.5 over and over in the same slide presentation and then had in that one spot "5gb/s at least."

At minimum though that slide is implying that if variable, the low is 5GB/second.. so that's pretty fucking great and far better than a sustained 2.5GB/second.

Last edited:
What game you seen that could have ran on PS4 at a higher resolution?

lol

NO. I said it could run on PS4 at lower resolution, lower framerates, have loading times,no ray tracing, and downscaling other effects. Most of the games looked cross gen to me or were nothing more than cinematic trailers.

I'm not in the minority on this. Most people were not wowed by anything at the sony event.

Last edited:

geordiemp

That slide doesn't reference compression and says "bandwidth."

I don't think it's proof of anything myself, but I think it does seem like it makes it possible that the SSD isn't always as 5.5GB/second. It's odd that they listed 5.5 over and over in the same slide presentation and then had in that one spot "5gb/s at least."

At minimum though that slide is implying that if variable, the low is 5GB/second.. so that's pretty fucking great and far better than a sustained 2.5GB/second.

You do realise you have random read speeds based on size of read not every data is streamed linearly.

You just making crap up but giving me a good laugh. Sustained SSD is amusing FUD for sure, at least go read up how hardware works so you can try better.

Last edited:

geordiemp

NO. I said it could run on PS4 at lower resolution, lower framerates, have loading times,no ray tracing, and downscaling other effects. Most of the games looked cross gen to me or were nothing more than cinematic trailers.

I'm not in the minority on this. Most people like me, Timdog and colt eastwood, honourary xbox discord were not wowed by anything at the sony event.

Fixed that for you - fans opinion of the "oppositions" hardware and games is hardly enlightening or interesting.

I am interested in fable and medium to see them, but I dont neg them just for lols.

Last edited:

onQ123

I'm not in the minority on this. Most people were not wowed by anything at the sony event.

The quote is only a few posts away look up that's not what you said

IntentionalPun

You do realise you have random read speeds based on size of read not every data is streamed linearly.

You just making crap up but giving me a good laugh.

WTF did I make up?

That slide clearly isn't referencing compression. I didn't accuse you of making anything up or laugh at you; but then again I'm not a fucking twat. WTF is wrong with people here?

This is not how civil discourse goes. If I'm wrong about something, explain it to me. Instead you goal post moved from compression to something else and insulted me.

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned

The "at least"

If people would properly listen and understand what he's saying there wouldn't still be this obtuse confusion.

The "at least" was the minimum they were targeting. The "dream" was 5.5gb. They ended up fulfilling that dream of 5.5gb.

Watch. The. Video. And. Listen. Properly.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

If people would properly listen and understand what he's saying there wouldn't still be this obtuse confusion.

The "at least" was the minimum they were targeting. The "dreaam" was 5.5gb. They ended up fulfilling that dream of 5.5gb.

What. The. Video. And. Listen. Properly.
Gotcha.

Not hard to explain.

Deto

Banned
MS's own words (jason ronald)in terms of XSX's SSD being sustained. Don't know about PS5's but Cerny or Sony have not disclosed that info.

because, now you have to say "9GB / s" and complement it with "really", because otherwise it is a lie?

just because MS marketing is made for idiots, do you want sony tb to be like this?

"this car has a top speed of 200km / h"

you : "hurrr durrr didn’t say it is 200km / h sustained"

?

I dunno, considering how the PS5 stream broke records, the overall reaction seemed pretty good. Sony's held back, though. They're definitely gonna hit back after full Series X reveal. I'm betting a PSVR2 sneak peak. I'm also betting Hellblade 2 will be the Xbox game to show off all its strength.

geordiemp

WTF did I make up?

That slide clearly isn't referencing compression. I didn't accuse you of making anything up or laugh at you; but then again I'm not a fucking twat. WTF is wrong with people here?

This is not how civil discourse goes. If I'm wrong about something, explain it to me. Instead you goal post moved from compression to something else and insulted me.

Your making up a narrative in your head. Go watch and listen to the slide if your genuinely interested (which your not clearly) its on video.

Last edited:
The quote is only a few posts away look up that's not what you said

It's simple. The games at the Sony event didn't wow most people. They looked cross gen, including the PS5 1st party titles or were cinematic trailers. In fact, it was so underwhelming that the pixy dust/unicorn overhype SSD business stopped immediately. None of the games came even close to the UE5 tech demo.

I say they looked cross gen because me and many others think those games at the sony event could run on PS4 with downscaled effects.

Lets not overcomplicate this.

ZywyPL

Banned
What? lol what are you even talking about?

You act like throttling doesn't exist, at all, well guess what, it is a real deal, and it's actually very common, so being able to run a CPU or GPU on a constant level of performance is quite a feat. I mean, you the forum's most famous SSD fetishist, so you should know best a thing or two about throttling and sustained performance for god's sake.

IntentionalPun

Your making up a narrative in your head. Go watch and listen to the slide if your genuinely interested (which your not clearly) and stop talking CRAP, its embarrasing (for you)

No, I'm just pointing out where other people are getting the idea it isn't sustained.. and outright said I don't think that slide proves anything, but it could be suggesting it's variable... instead of just explaining how I'm wrong you are a fucking cunt about it.

You also completely changed your explanation across 2 posts.... WTF?

Last edited:
Fixed that for you - fans opinion of the "oppositions" hardware and games is hardly enlightening or interesting.

I am interested in fable and medium to see them, but I dont neg them just for lols.

No, thats the majority of people on this site and many other gaming forums. And i agrue that its a small minority of sony fans (like you)who were "wowed" by the games at the sony event. You're fighting a losing battle if you think most gamers were "wowed" by the graphics of the games at the Sony event.

Last edited:

geordiemp

No, I'm just pointing out where other people are getting the idea it isn't sustained.. and outright said I don't think that slide proves anything, but it could be suggesting it's variable... instead of just explaining how I'm wrong you are a fucking cunt about it.

You also completely changed your explanation across 2 posts.... WTF?

Really ? You need to take a step back from the keyboard.

Last edited:

Deto

Banned
It's simple. The games at the Sony event didn't wow most people

It is a mixture of arrogance with stupidity and ignorance.

arrogance for thinking that his opinion is relevant.

stupidity and ignorance because he thinks he has 5 more idiots with the same opinion as him, makes them "the majority"

geordiemp

No, thats the majority of people on this site and many other gaming forums. And i agrue that is a small minority of sony fans who were "wowed" by the games at the sony event.

You opinion is valid for you, but you are not a concensus. Your spreading FUD again.

You can quote metrics to suggest interest or lack of, or say X sold poorly therefore I suggest that,......XXXX...

But at least try and be logical. Your just spouting fanboy persinal views so nobody cares.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Sony was super professionnal in their video on how to lend a PS4 game to someone.

you guys are still crying over a 5 sec video after 6 years or something? The fact that you have to dig into something that’s already a generation old, means you can’t find any new weird or childish tweet or something else from Sony. You can clearly see the difference in how they approach their fans. The one is screaming for attention with a lot of buzz around it, and the other is just straight to the point with their marketing on social media.

One affects the mass and the other only fanboys.

Last edited:
Top Bottom