• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brad Sams talks Xbox Series X's " Sustained Performance "

onQ123

You act like throttling doesn't exist, at all, well guess what, it is a real deal, and it's actually very common, so being able to run a CPU or GPU on a constant level of performance is quite a feat. I mean, you the forum's most famous SSD fetishist, so you should know best a thing or two about throttling and sustained performance for god's sake.

Again what are you talking about?

My post was about someone saying that the performance is sustained as if it's not going to depend on the task & coding.

Games & Apps are not going to max out the 12TF at all times.

now do you get what I'm saying?

geordiemp

Says the guy who randomly got incredibly insulting in a civil conversation and started throwing accusations around.

I am not streading FUD about a console that you clearly have no interest in and have not even listened to the article which explains the slide you posted.

Deto

Banned
One affects the mass and the other only fanboys.

I have long realized that xbox marketing is only for fanboys.

bEfsdlN.png

The sooner everyone can accept that the Series X is the best ever hardware then we can move on to the inevitable fanboys strictly attacking the XBOX fanboys with sales numbers, metacritic scores and first party output.

Edit: New entrant: Marketing decorum ☝️

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I am not streading FUD about a console that you clearly have no interest in and have not even listened to the article which explains the slide you posted.
I'm probably buying 3 PS5's to replace my 3 PS4s (and 1 PS4 pro.)

Get a fucking grip dude.. I'm not spreading any FUD. This is how this convo went:

1) I posted the source of people's assumptions
2) You said the slide was actually showing variable compression
3) I said I don't think the slide is referencing compression, but I also don't think it proves the SSD performance is variable.. went on to heavily praise the PS5 I/O even if it is evidence of variable speeds
4) You randomly decided to be completely insulting while CHANGING your explanation of what the slide is refererencing

This is FUD to you?

At minimum though that slide is implying that if variable, the low is 5GB/second.. so that's pretty fucking great and far better than a sustained 2.5GB/second.

What I meant by this was "if it is about variable speed, it's fucking great variable speeds and still way faster than XSX"

SO MUCH FEAR AND UNCERTAINTY AND DOUBT IM SPREADING!

Last edited:

geordiemp

Says the guy who randomly got incredibly insulting in a civil conversation and started throwing accusations around.

If you were genuinely interested in SSD performance you would know

1. Speed of data when there is hardware decompression in the loop will depend on compression ratio
2. Read and write speed are influenced by data size, so smaller random reads are slower than reading large blocks

I stated both over 2 posts, Maybe its better to number them for you to read easier.

Hence a minimum spec for a speed is both factual and correct.

Last edited:
I have long realized that xbox marketing is only for fanboys.

bEfsdlN.png

I have to give Greenberg his due. He knows exactly the cult of personality around Phil so he exploited it here to bring eyes to Xbox with a "lighthearted" attempt at a viral tweet. Anything to spice up the lead up to the 23rd. He practices the "any press is good press" principle really well. Got us here to talk about it.

IntentionalPun

If you were genuinely interested in SSD performance you would know

1. Speed of data when there is hardware decompression in the loop will depend on compression ratio
2. Read and write speed are influenced by data size, so smaller random reads are slower than reading large blocks

I stated both over 2 posts, Maybe its better to number them for you to read easier.

Hence a minimum spec for a speed is both factual and correct.
1) It's pretty obvious that slide is not referencing compression, and actually someone else pointed out it was showing their "target" that they exceeded.. so it really has nothing to do with what your insulting ass was claiming it was, and I edited my post with the real explanation
2) Right, if you have 12 channels unless you are pulling exactly 5.5GB/12 chunks of data you won't fill all channels all the time, but again, as someone else pointed out, likely not what the slide was saying
3) Stop being an asshole, you literally claimed I'm spreading FUD when responding to a post where I was boldly praising the PS5 I/o

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Again what are you talking about?

My post was about someone saying that the performance is sustained as if it's not going to depend on the task & coding.

Games & Apps are not going to max out the 12TF at all times.

now do you get what I'm saying?

Now that does make a lot more sense if you put it that way..

The Fartist

Gold Member
As it should be.

The XSX will wipe the floor with PS5 in terms of performance. I'm glad to know I will get the most out of my 4K TV. I might as well have just kept my 1080p tv for the PS5 lol.

and before anyone comes in with "but MS exclusives hur do they existi1?!?!?1" well yeah....this is gonna be the first generation that i don't buy a PS console because MS actually has more exclusives i'm interested in lolelul.

2e35d32a0e5a61adbeabd07e4775b97e.gif

Seems my comment triggered alot of Xbox fans lol.

7 years of hurt can do that to you.

Relax guys, its ok. We know Xbox is more powerful.

you guys are still crying over a 5 sec video after 6 years or something?
Yep there are like a dozen posts referencing that Sony game sharing clip from the beginning of this gen lol.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

No boost mode? Don't the games actually have better frame rate on the new xbox.?

The old Xbox one games.
It's a reference to the belief that basic PS5 BC runs at last-gen clock speeds, and only specific games are run in a "boost mode."

I honestly think MS are wrong about that personally. PS5 BC runs with this-gen clock speeds and last-gen instruction sets. We should see improved resolution and framerates with PS5 BC IMO, all of Sony's statements add up to that for me. (but nothing like the stuff MS is doing with adding HDR and other things.)

Last edited:
At the start of this gen the majority of NeoGAF we’re responding with rapturous cheering and laughter when Sony were doing the same sort of thing. Weird 🤷🏻‍♂️
The start of this gen was 7 years ago. there is new management at playstation.
My comment was meant to highlight the differences between the two major platform holders. One is shouting power power power from the rooftops and very active on twitter. The other is not and more focused on their games than anything.

Power power was not how Sony wiped the floor with the competition this gen or during PS2 and PS2 days. it was content.
The switch is mopping the floor with xbox and that's a proverbial calculator compare to Xbox one x in terms of processing power.

MS needs to focus their message on their games. we all know it is the power king.
Seems like they have not learned anything.

Last edited:

oldergamer

My comment was meant to highlight the differences between the two major platform holders. One is shouting power power power from the rooftops and very active on twitter. The other is not and more focused on their games than anything.

Power power was not how Sony wiped the floor with the competition this gen or during PS2 and PS2 days. it was content.
The switch is mopping the floor with xbox and that's a proverbial calculator compare to Xbox one x in terms of processing power.

MS needs to focus their message on their games. we all know it is the power king.
Seem you haven't learned much. Wait until they show games before making up BS.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some

Except Switch is a portable and not a direct competitor to Sony or MS.

Switch looks like shit on a modern TV, it’s basically a 3DS successor and is only good for portable use which is how most people use it. Even my 6 year old daughter prefers playing Minecraft on an iPad instead of her Switch, actually says a lot.

Also, plenty of games will be show next Thursday, you need to calm the fuck down.

The hardware is going to be great. Microsofts game output this past decade though, has not been. Hopefully they can provide a reason to get one at their event next week. Otherwise I’ll just be playing halo infinite on my pc.

i worry about this myself, im only with Xbox for Game-pass. I've never cared about Forza or Gears, and Halo hasn't been that important to me since the original. If PlayStation had Game-pass i would drop the Xbox and get a PlayStation

FranXico

I don't think that's true. From a developer's words, it's harder to fill more CUs with work at all times to get the theoretical 12 Tflops. Many of the CUs are dropped if the work isn't properly distributed

EX: 52 CUs to 20 CUs
That is not more effort for developers. The only issue is that caches are shared among groups of CUs and need to be synchronized for running the work in parallel (especially when some computations depend on the result of others), which stalls some cycles.
The impact of dependent computations on higher CU count depends on the nature of the workload.

Goes without saying, this can also happen with 36CUs. It just depends on the specific tasks.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
you guys are still crying over a 5 sec video after 6 years or something? The fact that you have to dig into something that’s already a generation old, means you can’t find any new weird or childish tweet or something else from Sony. You can clearly see the difference in how they approach their fans. The one is screaming for attention with a lot of buzz around it, and the other is just straight to the point with their marketing on social media.

One affects the mass and the other only fanboys.
Why am i not surprised that the Sony concerning past doesn't matter, but people keep nagging at the tvtvtv, spy Kinect. always on and used game restriction stuff to this day?

Never forget:

ZywyPL

Banned
Why am i not surprised that the Sony concerning past doesn't matter, but people keep nagging at the tvtvtv, spy Kinect. always on and used game restriction stuff to this day?

Never forget:

Some of the quotes, LMFAO, I miss Crazy Ken,

turtlepowa

Banned
Some of the quotes, LMFAO, I miss Crazy Ken,

My favorite is: “The first five million are going to buy it (PS3), whatever it is, even [if] it didn’t have games.”

Literally calling your own customers stupid fanboys is priceless.

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
Console wars 2020

Microsoft .. clear professional modern slick advertisements and posts with specifc claims they encorage you to verify, boasting about guaranteed performance.

Sony... 1 super long boring video with a creepy antisocial man preaching to a fanbase of full time forum warriors willing to post endlessly despite having no idea what he was talking about.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Console wars 2020

Microsoft .. clear professional modern slick advertisements and posts with specifc claims they encorage you to verify, boasting about guaranteed performance.

Sony... 1 super long boring video with a creepy antisocial man preaching to a fanbase of full time forum warriors willing to post endlessly despite having no idea what he was talking about.
Yeah but what about the creepy antisocial's daughter?? Eh? Does phil have something similar?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
As it should be.

The XSX will wipe the floor with PS5 in terms of performance. I'm glad to know I will get the most out of my 4K TV. I might as well have just kept my 1080p tv for the PS5 lol.

and before anyone comes in with "but MS exclusives hur do they existi1?!?!?1" well yeah....this is gonna be the first generation that i don't buy a PS console because MS actually has more exclusives i'm interested in lolelul.

LOL!

Deto

Banned

Never forget:

Evil Sony ridiculing the poor thing from MS, who just wanted to stick everyone's ass always on line and crashes used ones.

Now is MS a victim of this?

what lunatic delusion is this?

she shouldn't have mocked MS, but made an equal console with used lock and always on line hurrr durrr

There is a huge difference between making fun of the REALITY of MS, and doing marketing focused on the FUD, just like the "sustainable clock" chat that MS has been trying to achieve for months.

sinnergy

Evil Sony ridiculing the poor thing from MS, who just wanted to stick everyone's ass always on line and crashes used ones.

Now is MS a victim of this?

what lunatic delusion is this?

she shouldn't have mocked MS, but made an equal console with used lock and always on line hurrr durrr

There is a huge difference between making fun of the REALITY of MS, and doing marketing focused on the FUD, just like the "sustainable clock" chat that MS has been trying to achieve for months.
the classy thing was to say nothing ..
but they used it in their advantage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom