• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bubble Bobble DS screens

SantaC

Gold Member
43761020050815_142416_0_big.jpg

43761020050815_142416_3_big.jpg

43761020050815_142416_2_big.jpg

43761020050815_142416_1_big.jpg

43761020050815_142416_4_big.jpg

- Traditional Bubble Bobble gameplay
- Will play up to 4 players simultaneously
- Will be released end of october

http://www.jeux-france.com/news11777.html

SantaC

Gold Member
bubble bobble is my favorite amiga game! Also loved it on nes.

edit: I see no reason to not bring this one to america.

edit2:

Ditherrific

yep the screen quality is craptastic. Someone did a bad capture.

jarrod

Banned
I'd expect either Mastiff or Majesco to pick up the American release. Maybe Natsume even, Marvelous/Rising Star's pretty close to them too.

callous

I hope so :)

But even without the dithering, it's quite obvious that Taito hasn't exactly gone to town on the backgrounds. Not that they ever do.

jarrod

Banned
iced lightning said:
yes! I didn't even know bubble bobble was coming to ds. :D
Not just Bubble Bobble but also Space Invaders, Rainbow Islands and Bust-A-Move are all also DS bound. :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
yep the screen quality is craptastic. Someone did a bad capture.
No they didn't. Those are flawless captures. How on earth could you think otherwise?

The DS screens will hide some of that, though, so don't worry too much.

Jeff-DSA

Yes please. :D

I stilli play the original Bubble Bobble at times, this would be a great release if they don't screw it up.

jarrod

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
I stilli play the original Bubble Bobble at times, this would be a great release if they don't screw it up.
Hopefully they also include the original game, like with Old&New on GBA. :)

jman2050

dark10x said:
No they didn't. Those are flawless captures. How on earth could you think otherwise?

The DS screens will hide some of that, though, so don't worry too much.

Maybe so. However, they are Jpgs. And as everyone knows, Jpgs SUCK.

SantaC

Gold Member
dark10x said:

yeah how on earth could I think othervise? Ever heard of jpg's and compression loss. I sure as hell haven't played a DS or any other modern handheld with dithering problems like that.

jarrod

Banned
demi said:
Should include Rainbow Islands instead.
They need to save that for Rainbow Islands Revolution. :)

Anyway, here's the announced Taito remakes for each machine so far by region...

Nintendo DS
-Bubble Bobble Revolution (Rising Star Games) EU
-Bust-A-Move DS (Majesco Games) NA
-Puzzle Bobble DS (Taito) JP
-Rainbow Islands Revolution (Rising Star Games) EU
-Space Invaders DS (Taito) JP
-Space Invaders Revolution (Mastiff Games) NA
-Space Invaders Revolution (Rising Star Games) EU

PSP
-Bubble Bobble Evolution (Rising Star Games) EU
-Puzzle Bobble Pocket (Taito) JP
-Space Invaders Evolution (Rising Star Games) EU
-Space Invaders: Galaxy Beat (Marvelous Interactive) JP

...I expect each will make it to every region eventually though.

I prefer the simplicity of the original, not too found of the backgrounds to be honest. Although this won't matter one iota if it plays well. Fingers crossed.

dock

Not hugely into the graphics, but more importantly...

Horizontal scrolling? It looks that way!!! O_O YUCK!
Bubble Bobble really needs a static screen. The scrolling doesn't work, as you can't see the entire play area.

jarrod

Banned
dock UK said:
Not hugely into the graphics, but more importantly...

Horizontal scrolling? It looks that way!!! O_O YUCK!
Bubble Bobble really needs a static screen. The scrolling doesn't work, as you can't see the entire play area.
Er... why do you think there's scrolling? The screen layouts look static to me? :/

jarrod

Banned
Chibbi Brady said:
I think he's right, have a look at the edge of the pics. Hope there's a scale out function like Old & New on the GBA.
Oh, I though he meant vertically scrolling progression (like Kid Icarus). Yeah that sorta sucks.... they should just redesign things around the DS screens' real-estate rather than scroll. :/

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
It may be Bubble Bobble, but it looks disgusting!

The artist should be shot for crimes against Taito, it looks like an Amiga public domain game from 15 years ago.

opkal

Jonnyboy117 said:
Anyone else get that NES music in their heads just from looking at these screens and thinking about the old version?

heh, yea, once I saw the words Bubble Bobble I started humming.

BuddyC

Nash said:
It may be Bubble Bobble, but it looks disgusting!

The artist should be shot for crimes against Taito, it looks like an Amiga public domain game from 15 years ago.
For your health, I sure hope you didn't catch the assets on the New portion of Bubble Bobble Old & New GBA. At least Bub & Bob look like, you know, Bub & Bob here. The oversized head-aneroxic-body look they had there was just ...freaky.

And if someone could remind Taito of a) Bubble Symphony and b) the PSP, and maybe mention that those two would work well together, I'd appreciate it.

Top Bottom