• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart - PC Review - Cutting Edge Tech But Lacking In Polish

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Third planet is a mess for me even after the update. Everything was fine until this point but now it's a mess. What have you done Nixxes?
The game is maxed out and no matter what I change in the settings I have the same result. Config in Youtube description.

Probably gonna be fixed in a week or two but still...

Cross posting from that video on Youtube

Definitely weird to see. Granted, I have the better CPU but not ages above yours. Same spec except 7800X3D/6000mt/s DDR5. No stutters at all in that area but I will say that it does go down to 110~ to about 160 there. Performance is more demanding there for sure. Running on a PCIe4 NVME.

I'll also add that I'm running CL30 timings on the CL32 DDR5, a custom PBO2 OC on the 7800X3D, and a very generous OC on that GIGABYTE OC 4090 which already comes OC'd.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Cross posting from that video on Youtube

Definitely weird to see. Granted, I have the better CPU but not ages above yours. Same spec except 7800X3D/6000mt/s DDR5. No stutters at all in that area but I will say that it does go down to 110~ to about 160 there. Performance is more demanding there for sure. Running on a PCIe4 NVME.

I'll also add that I'm running CL30 timings on the CL32 DDR5, a custom PBO2 OC on the 7800X3D, and a very generous OC on that GIGABYTE OC 4090 which already comes OC'd.
13700K is more than enough for this game (and pretty much anything) and is quite close to the 7800X3D. Performance wise it's ok, I don't have any issues there. It's just the textures bugs.
I also have the Firecuda 530 (2Tb) PCIe4 so that should be perfect and I'm running 32Gb DDR5 @6200MHz too. No stutters, very good IQ and responsiveness, averaging at pretty much your performance.
It's on the game side, but it should be fixed soon.

LiquidMetal14

13700K is more than enough for this game (and pretty much anything) and is quite close to the 7800X3D. Performance wise it's ok, I don't have any issues there. It's just the textures bugs.
I also have the Firecuda 530 (2Tb) PCIe4 so that should be perfect and I'm running 32Gb DDR5 @6200MHz too. No stutters, very good IQ and responsiveness, averaging at pretty much your performance.
It's on the game side, but it should be fixed soon.
My mind ran into the wrong direction there. And your video kinda slowed so that's why I commented like that but that was the player then.

The issue should have been more resolved with the last patch as I was in the same area yesterday and have seen none of those issues. I'm on 536.67.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
My mind ran into the wrong direction there. And your video kinda slowed so that's why I commented like that but that was the player then.

The issue should have been more resolved with the last patch as I was in the same area yesterday and have seen none of those issues. I'm on 536.67.
Yep same driver, and indeed Youtube is not good with compression as it's not perfectly fluid. Weirdly I had less bug without the latest patch, let's hope it's fixed soon as I really want to play this game ^^

LiquidMetal14

Yep same driver, and indeed Youtube is not good with compression as it's not perfectly fluid. Weirdly I had less bug without the latest patch, let's hope it's fixed soon as I really want to play this game ^^
Random last ditch suggestion before bed

You try changing install drives? Even if it's SSD from NVME. Reinstalling game, reinstalling driver, lowering texture settings then changing back, and praying to the Lord.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Random last ditch suggestion before bed

You try changing install drives? Even if it's SSD from NVME. Reinstalling game, reinstalling driver, lowering texture settings then changing back, and praying to the Lord.
Haven't touched the SSD because it's working fine, in fact I have 2x2Tb of this beauty and it's awesome. Every game I have is performing perfectly except this one. Also this is what I get with the bench for DirectStorage:

image.png

22Gb/s... damn fast. I tried reinstalling the game/driver and you can see I change the settings in the Youtube video, with no luck unfortunately. As I said it's not an issue with my rig, it's on the game.
And I'm not alone with those kind of problems :(

You're posting on a gaming enthusiast site mate lol. This kinda post is way more telling about your insecurity than anything else

I did not ask this as if having a girlfirend is trophy or something like that, or that he should look for one if the answer was no.

I was Just picturing on my mind what if his girlfriend knew that the thing he's so proud about is running a cartoony game at higher framerate than a console and I thought that was hilarious to think of.

bender

What time is it?
I did not ask this as if having a girlfirend is trophy or something like that, or that he should look for one if the answer was no.

I was Just picturing on my mind what if his girlfriend knew that the thing he's so proud about is running a cartoony game at higher framerate than a console and I thought that was hilarious to think of.
847657.jpg

Rubim

Seems like Direct Storage makes no difference on that scene.

"During gameplay, I have noticed that some textures took a little bit more time to load with those files deleted/"

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
So, a couple of very interesting bits of info.

This lines up with the Techpowerup data which has NVIDIA suffering much lower 1% lows than AMD. NVIDIA GPUs uses RTX IO. Not sure if it's intended behavior or a driver bug/issue.

Deleting the DirectStorage dll completely disables DirectStorage. It's only used with Very High textures otherwise. With this method, you can keep Very High textures and stop DirectStorage from kicking in.

And last but not least,

https://fxtwitter.com/Sebasti66855537/status/1685443877568720896?s=20

Enabling ReBar also gave me a 10fps boost on my 4090 going from 148 to 158 but the system crashes every time I closed the game. Looks like DirectStorage was causing the issue.

As it stands, it almost seems like NVIDIA users are better off disabling DirectStorage and enabling ReBar. You gain an fps boost if CPU limited, your 1% lows become much better, but there might be texture fade-in.

I'm not 100% sure what can be done yet but in this case, the hardware decompression of the PS5 sure is a boon because it completely frees up GPU/CPU resources. I vaguely recall hearing that GPUs are good at rendering or good at decompressing but aren't good at both at the same time.

Stay tuned for what happens next, I guess.

Last edited:

Rubim

This lines up with the Techpowerup data which has NVIDIA suffering much lower 1% lows than AMD. NVIDIA GPUs uses RTX IO. Not sure if it's intended behavior or a driver bug/issue.

Deleting the DirectStorage dll completely disables DirectStorage. It's only used with Very High textures otherwise. With this method, you can keep Very High textures and stop DirectStorage from kicking in.

And last but not least,

Enabling ReBar also gave me a 10fps boost on my 4090 going from 148 to 158 but the system crashes every time I closed the game. Looks like DirectStorage was causing the issue.

As it stands, it almost seems like NVIDIA users are better off disabling DirectStorage and enabling ReBar. You gain an fps boost if CPU limited, your 1% lows become much better, but the rift sequences are presumably slower.

I'm not 100% sure what can be done yet but in this case, the hardware decompression of the PS5 sure is a boon because it completely frees up GPU/CPU resources. I vaguely recall hearing that GPUs are good at rendering or good at decompressing but aren't good at both at the same time.

As i said earlier, i really doubt this will get fixed or improved.

Niche title with a new technology. =(

That’s what she

Neo Member

And last but not least,

As it stands, it almost seems like NVIDIA users are better off disabling DirectStorage and enabling ReBar. You gain an fps boost if CPU limited, your 1% lows become much better, but there might be texture fade-in.

It would would be somehow funny if this wouldn’t be a „bug“ that will be fixed later.

I remember that discussions that the money spent on the PS5s IO system would be better invested in a beefier CPU and GPU and that a “SSD doesn’t bring you more frames”. Currently it seams it does. Maybe Cerny isn’t that big of an idiot that some armchair experts claims he is after all😄.

But the current performance lost can still be related due to current inefficiencies in Drivers, Direct Storage, RTX IO or the game code. Guess we need to wait a bit longer to get a clearer picture.

But that “fixing” costs Dev time. Time that could be spend elsewhere. And that I think that was the main target of the PS5s IO System (besides the additional HW cost saving in the long run). That’s what I think a lot of People undervalue the most.

Alex as well says stuff in the video “with a different implementation and prefetching it could run much better on PC”….well no shit Sherlock. But this systems are not trivial to implement (based on the comments and responses by actual game developer). On the same time we have discussions that game development costs explode. So everything that helps to improve should be very welcomed (same for RT btw.).

I am not sure why this touches the egos of so many people that they always need to start discussions that it could work in an exotic other way.

Bojji

It would would be somehow funny if this wouldn’t be a „bug“ that will be fixed later.

I remember that discussions that the money spent on the PS5s IO system would be better invested in a beefier CPU and GPU and that a “SSD doesn’t bring you more frames”. Currently it seams it does. Maybe Cerny isn’t that big of an idiot that some armchair experts claims he is after all😄.

But the current performance lost can still be related due to current inefficiencies in Drivers, Direct Storage, RTX IO or the game code. Guess we need to wait a bit longer to get a clearer picture.

But that “fixing” costs Dev time. Time that could be spend elsewhere. And that I think that was the main target of the PS5s IO System (besides the additional HW cost saving in the long run). That’s what I think a lot of People undervalue the most.

Alex as well says stuff in the video “with a different implementation and prefetching it could run much better on PC”….well no shit Sherlock. But this systems are not trivial to implement (based on the comments and responses by actual game developer). On the same time we have discussions that game development costs explode. So everything that helps to improve should be very welcomed (same for RT btw.).

I am not sure why this touches the egos of so many people that they always need to start discussions that it could work in an exotic other way.

Pre caching would only work if player didn't have any freedom in movement, but you can always travel to different planets so that would mean old school loading times.

Based on performance metrics I would say that game only uses RTX IO right now and not DS, AMD cards don't use it at all. Maybe it's disabled on them just like RT.

That’s what she

Neo Member
Pre caching would only work if player didn't have any freedom in movement, but you can always travel to different planets so that would mean old school loading times.

Based on performance metrics I would say that game only uses RTX IO right now and not DS, AMD cards don't use it at all. Maybe it's disabled on them just like RT.
For that specific Benchmark Sequence at the beginning it would work I think. It actually does. There were some videos that show the sequence on slow HDDs on a second run were the perfor is much better since it is already loaded and cached (some people used that as a proof that the game plays fine from an HDD.…most of them are the ones that are whining about the „stutter struggle„ issues on other titles where the case is similar).

But in general I fully agree to you. Even with precaching the game would be limited on what transitions are possible. I also think that the game designers just have started to test out which ideas can now work.

There were similar arguments in the early discussions of the R&C transitions were they were compared to one level of Titanfall 2. Always missing the point that it was limited to just one level that were specifically design to have that.

In future titles the designers are not limited any longer. I would even say that the cool but pointless (from gameplay perspectiv) benchmark sequence would have been never greenlit without the IO system since it would have cost to much.
Kind of the changed end sequence of Bioshock Infinite. Originally there were quite more transitions planned. But they needed to cut it since it would just not technically feasible to implement. Nowadays it would just work.

Gaiff

This is much better than the DF video for optimized settings.

Some settings are murderous on performance.

Here is SSAO to RTAO set to Very High. The performance penalty is 50% in some cases.

XIuj922.jpg

Weather particle effects also enable volumetric clouds when set to High or Very High in some cases which can have a huge impact on performance. I don't think Alex even touched upon that.

eQePAh6.png

Last edited:

JCK75

My hot take.. SSDs are awesome and I'm glad all modern consoles have them.. the rift features in this game is a gimmick that show it off, but it's not worth arguing about because the chances any game is really going to utilize such a mechanic is extremely slim. So the minor difference is between the means nothing.

Topher

Gold Member
My hot take.. SSDs are awesome and I'm glad all modern consoles have them.. the rift features in this game is a gimmick that show it off, but it's not worth arguing about because the chances any game is really going to utilize such a mechanic is extremely slim. So the minor difference is between the means nothing.

That's been my take as well for a while. We've got one game that is using SSD in a demonstrable way outside of faster loading, but we have yet to see the design of games being fundamentally changed. Is it beneficial? Oh hell yes. Fewer elevator and subway rides are a good thing.

TrueGrime

You have clearly no fucking idea. Have you even seen it on a OLED? How is the fps “worse” when runs like it intended to run? Who cares about mouse+kb. Games like this plays best with controller. Haptic alone shits over m/k in this game.

You should be happy that Sony is bringing real games to the pc right now instead of playing a bunch of early access titles with your overprices pc.

i-cant-believe-im-seeing-this-charlet-chung.gif

Topher

Gold Member
Seems like Direct Storage makes no difference on that scene.

"During gameplay, I have noticed that some textures took a little bit more time to load with those files deleted/"

"DirectStorage was disabled by deleting the dstorage.dll and dstoragecore.dll files in the game folder."

That seems like a really bizarre way of "disabling" a feature.

Gaiff

It does not. You are just trying to justify your overprices GPU, with in general minimal difference on both platforms. Fact that you still need help of DLAA or DLSS says enough.

No i’m not at pc hater, im a pc gamer and console gamer myself, but this is just defending your thousands of dollar pc and yet it plays the same on PS5.
You alright mate?

Stuart360

Is GPU usage kinda weird with this game?

It's almost always above 97% but my GPU isn't heating up at all. Its strange, because I'm always around the 70 degree mark since I'm heavily overclocked. All games hit 70 minimum but not RnC, it just stays around 62-64. Weird.

Edit: another update just got released: https://support.insomniac.games/hc/en-us/articles/18081082156813-Version-v1-728-0-0-Release-Notes-
I had the same problem with gpu usage and heat. Make sure you update your gpu drivers if you havent donre already as that fixed the issue for me.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
These type of posters have infested gaf and just do not get banned, it's crazy times we live in, a sad time for sense.

You mean the posters that now have something worthwhile to play on their GPU, but instead of just be happy, they need to shit on the console were the game was originally was released?

The “my 4090 rig” already says enough.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Definitely seems to be sign of that which makes sense since it is putting that work on the GPU. So on PC, it seems the trade-off could be frame rate for load times?
So, Cerny wasn't full of shit having a dedicated decompression block for the I/O to handle the tasks (freeing up resources) either a CPU, or in this case a GPU will have to handle.

Something I would love to become standard on PC mobos, is that type of I/O. But I feel that is a long ways off on such an open platform/vendors.

At least we can still "brute force" around it by just buying beefier cards and loading up on system RAM.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member

If you think i/o useage will be limited to setpieces then I think you're mistaken. Consider a hypothetical Demon's Souls port where a few gigs of data are routinely loaded in and out during traversal. I would like to see analysis on that one someday.

Gaiff

Definitely seems to be signs of that which makes sense since it is putting that work on the GPU. So on PC, it seems the trade-off could be frame rate for load times?

As expected from years ago. There are no miracles solutions.

So, Cerny wasn't full of shit having a dedicated decompression block for the I/O to handle the tasks (freeing up resources) either a CPU, or in this case a GPU will have to handle.

Something I would love to become standard on PC mobos, is that type of I/O. But I feel that is a long ways off on such an open platform/vendors.

At least we can still "brute force" around it by just buying beefier cards and loading up on system RAM.
So did you all forget the part where this only happens on NVIDIA cards? What separates AMD from NVIDIA in this instance? RTX IO, not DirectStorage.

And according to some tests, disabling DirectStorage on NVIDIA cards also makes no difference when it comes to load times or how quickly the rift sequences come to pass. One tester said he may have spotted some slight texture fade-in but isn't sure. RTX IO seems to do a whole lot of nothing. Further testing will need to be conducted to know if it's intended behavior or if things aren't working as they should.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So did you all forget the part where this only happens on NVIDIA cards? What separates AMD from NVIDIA in this instance? RTX IO, not DirectStorage.

And according to some tests, disabling DirectStorage on NVIDIA cards also makes no difference when it comes to load times or how quickly the rift sequences come to pass. One tester said he may have spotted some slight texture fade-in but isn't sure. RTX IO seems to do a whole lot of nothing. Further testing will need to be conducted to know if it's intended behavior or if things aren't working as they should.
Meaning GIF

Zathalus

So the low texture issue has been patched. As was obviously going to happen.

Pretty sure the usual suspects will be harping on about I/O the next time a Sony port has issues again.

Skifi28

If you think i/o useage will be limited to setpieces then I think you're mistaken. Consider a hypothetical Demon's Souls port where a few gigs of data are routinely loaded in and out during traversal. I would like to see analysis on that one someday.
That sounds like regular loading.

JCK75

that's not something where a even dozens of milliseconds in loading time are going to matter all that much.
as games get bigger PC gamers are still going to use regular hard drives because cheaply being able to have 8TB+ is always going to be appealing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And DirectStorage doesn't degrade performance, otherwise, AMD would exhibit the same behavior and we'd see tangible differences with RTX IO off when it comes to NVIDIA cards.
And? I still would like dedicated I/O on mobos themselves via hardware. DirectStorage is a good step compared to not, however.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Of course he wasn't full of shit. Anyone who keeps repeating that the PS5 I/O is just marketing bullshit doesn't understand how this works (and how resource-heavy real-time data decompression actually is).

Gaiff

And? I still would like dedicated I/O on mobos themselves via hardware. DirectStorage is a good step compared to not, however.
Oh, I agree but it doesn't prove or support if Cerny is full of shit or not. For the record, I don't believe for one second that he is full of shit. He went around studios and asked devs what they needed and this was one of the biggest requests. I fully trust him over the engineers at Gaf.

Top Bottom