• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart - PC Review - Cutting Edge Tech But Lacking In Polish

Buggy Loop

Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

Buggy Loop

So it's not a port disaster (cough last of us cough), had a few bugs that are already fixed patch 1 day after and likely more to come in a month. So, i mean, Nixxes are not too bad, not gods of ports but they're putting in the work, this must not have been an easy port for them.

Will be interesting to revisit the performances in a month or so.

Zathalus

So the thing that most impacts loading speed is core clocks and memory speed?

Alex is running a 12900k and 6400 RAM, I have a overclocked 13900ks and 7200 RAM. Should really time it to see the difference.

Buggy Loop

Alex: The game in its current really is not great on a hard drive.

He also touches upon Insomniac's comments and sides more with them.

Pack it up, boys, Cerny won!

pretty-cool-cerny.gif

I mean, the API did quite the heavy lifting, i'm impressed that just software side could do that well without hardware I/O. But, where are we going with x86 architecture from now on? It's OLD.

Close everything but steam, got it chief.

I wonder how it would perform with the heavily trimmed down window installs such as Tiny 11 or Atlas OS. The bloat of windows is incredible. Doesn't affect most of the day to day activities, but this might be an interesting game to bench the theory.

Last edited:
I hadn't played this since release and in my mind the IQ was super perfect even in performance mode but I've been trying this and Spiderman on PS5 today and the IQ is actually fairly poor with a lot of aliasing, shimmering and ghosting. I have a bigger TV than before but it's strange how your perspective changes.

Both look way better on PC.

I'm surprised how shit the IGTI is tbh but I guess DLSS has improved massively since this and Spiderman first came out.

pretty-cool-cerny.gif
Nah it would be identical if they had just used GPU decompression fully and not rely on CPU decompression at all.
But because they wanted to balance everything for every potential PC build out there. We end up with something that's not fully optimized to utilize DirectStorage strengths. There should be a setting toggle that allows you to just use GPU Decompression rather than both. Or if they didn't cap how many threads the CPU decompression will run

By going this route of catering to all possible PC config build, they internally capped the loading time for the portal on PC.
Which is why there is no noticeable loading difference when increasing drive speed.

(I'm referring to NVME SSD here not Hard-Drives)

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats

pretty-cool-cerny.gif

I dont think anyone was arguing HDD for more than at a meme level.... Everyone was saying a normal m.2, but then again seems like a sata ssd pauses at the worst unplayable sequence for 2 secs. which is totally okay as well.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Patch Notes

• Resolved visual issues with characters occurring on certain GPUs, including AMD Vega based models.
  • Improved the visual quality of vegetation in ray-traced shadows and ray-traced reflections.
  • Implemented a fix to make the Texture Filtering option work as intended.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Nah it would be identical if they had just used GPU decompression fully and not rely on CPU decompression at all.
But because they wanted to balance everything for every potential PC build out there. We end up with something that's not fully optimized to utilize DirectStorage strengths. There should be a setting toggle that allows you to just use GPU Decompression rather than both.

By going this route of catering to all possible PC config build, they internally capped the loading time for the portal on PC.
Which is why there is no loading difference when increasing drive speed.

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

Kataploom

Gold Member
So it's not a port disaster (cough last of us cough), had a few bugs that are already fixed patch 1 day after and likely more to come in a month. So, i mean, Nixxes are not too bad, not gods of ports but they're putting in the work, this must not have been an easy port for them.

Will be interesting to revisit the performances in a month or so.
Yeah, I'd like S0ULZB0URNE S0ULZB0URNE to educate me in how this game and returnal run just as expected on a mid range computer but TLOU is the one prime example of the power of the PS5.

BTW, some minor bugs here and there, I'll wait and as I just upgraded my RAM, I'll give it another try to TLOU for now.

R&C:RA is literally single game that made me want to have a PS5, now I don't even care lol.

That was a great video: Digital Foundry doing an in-depth analysis of what works and what doesn't quite work in the game with comparisons to the PS5 version and optimized/equivalent settings etc etc.

This is a GOOD thing because otherwise these issues would likely have taken longer to be fixed or not been fixed at all. Nixxes are a very talented developer - the fact that the game runs as well as it does and doesn't require a 30 minute pre-shader compilation like the abysmal-at-launch port of *cough*The Last of Us Part 1*cough* is testament to that, in my opinion. I blame Sony here for releasing the game prematurely and not giving Nixxes enough time to polish the game. This game could easily have been delayed a few weeks and no-one would have complained. PC games are 100% digital so there is no requirement to keep to a strict release date.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I like this timestamp.

The word "bottlenecks" is one of the BIG points were Cerny was talking about. They wanted to reduce bottlenecks for developers, and this is one of them....the Dedicated and custom I/O subsystem for the PS5.

hugging-a-box-kate-mckinnon.gif

Old news. Insomniac stated that already years ago that R&C wasn't taking full advantage of the SSD. Because it wasn't developed based on final hardware at that time.

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

Wait, High textures on 8GB vram? That can't be right.

I'm still seeing very big performance drops when going from medium to high. I have 6600xt.

Everything else is on Medium as well. Wtf...

Top Bottom