• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can you play RPGs longer than action games?

Can you?

• Yes

Votes: 25 89.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters

Swift_Star

Banned
I always wonder about this. I'm currently playing R&C rift apart for the first time and alternating it with my millionth playthrough of Final Fantasy X. I can play FF for hours and hours but 2 hours of RC makes me tired and this always happens. I could play dark souls for hours, but couldn't stand more than 2 hours of Bioshock. Why is that?

Ezquimacore

Banned
Usually takes forever to do something on rpg games and you see the same scenario longer while action games take you for a ride and in 2 hours you see like 7 different areas.

Probably because there's less being asked of you in terms of hand dexterity? Dark Souls is more about timing and strategy while Bioshock isn't really a shoot-shoot type of FPS.

Also likely because Rift Apart is easier than both of those games; RPGs in general tend to be easier than action games when it comes to hand dexterity and hand/eye coordination needs, but can make up for it with strategic depth and complexity. Lines have blurred over the years on that stuff but it generally holds true. Rift Apart probably isn't legions more complex in hand dexterity needs than a Dark Souls and while it has its own depth it objectively is less deep/complex in terms of game systems than a Dark Souls and requires less strategy by the player to make it through.

Mind you I haven't played Rift Apart yet but I figure it continues from R&C 2016 and that was a much easier version of the PS2 entry.

R6Rider

Gold Member
There's too many variables in play to determine this. I can play some games longer than others and the next day the opposite can happen.

Mabdia

Well... I've played over 150 hours of FFX, and Disgaea. About a 60 or 70 of Battle Chasers. But a game like God of War (2018) was too long to me.

If it is a turn based RPG I can play it longer than action games.

MetalRain

I think it's about pacing and fatigue. I just cannot play Call of Duty in small hectic maps like Shipment for too long, but I can play Wasteland 2 for lets say 8 hours.

I answered no, but I was thinking longer time frame. All RPGs end at some point, but games like CS just keep on giving. So you actually can play them for longer, just not in one sitting.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I always wonder about this. I'm currently playing R&C rift apart for the first time and alternating it with my millionth playthrough of Final Fantasy X. I can play FF for hours and hours but 2 hours of RC makes me tired and this always happens. I could play dark souls for hours, but couldn't stand more than 2 hours of Bioshock. Why is that?
RPGs can be super chill, like zen meditation.

That's how it is for me, something like DQ, nice art style, pretty music, chill random battles. It's relaxing.

Action games require much more input and reflex time, not as relaxing to play.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Depends on the core gameplay-loop but usually an RPG does feature more depth in general so maybe it's that.

Maybe you've grown tired of the constant action whereas in an RPG you have something in between fights as a contrast.

Kacho

I like both genres but I know what you mean. I can play an RPG for hours without batting an eye but an action game can only hold my attention for a short period of time before I start feeling fatigued/bored.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Easily, in fact for me it's not even close in game hours, all my longest hours spent playing games are RPG's from hundred's to thousand's of hours.

WitchHunter

Banned
TMSM ATST - Too Many Shit Moving At The Same Time

Yes I can. Its because RPGs have more variability in gameplay, and are slower paced. Hence they tire you out slower.
Do i press x to continue the dialog or do i press o to continue the dialog? Do i attack with the sword i found in the dunpster of fiends or trust the local village blacksmith sword? So much variability.

Top Bottom