• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport will support Ray Tracing Global Illumination, but only on PC

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Br39XKb.gif

Ed8l70B.gif

69pz9w9w3ck81.gif

iokdiz.gif

Gran-Turismo-Sport-GIF-Track-Corner.gif

Gran-Turismo-Sport-GIF-Track-Sunset.gif

Basically, the pre-rendered intros and replays from last gen GT games. Forza is still using that cartoony lighting that might actually be masking all the effort they have put into other rendering features.
This is what replays look like now in GT7.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Nah, just look at any GT intro from last gen. They look vastly better than what those GTs were able to do during gameplay.

Until i get interiors like this from Forza and GT, im not going to worry about diminishing returns.

bkEqHFw.gif
The interior lighting and shadows in the above Forza PC video shared, look pretty much the same as GT7's lighting and interior shadows windscreen reflections, etc, (soft shadows, etc). I do prefer the lighting tones of GT7 at the moment, only because we see the yellow/orange tones only for interior shots of Forza so far in that video.

It's a toss up, IMO.

Agreed though I am going to be happy playing whats shown here
Agreed.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I think we have reached the point of diminishing returns in racing games. If you told us that was all rasterization, everyone would believe you.
In small gif/video's yeah definitely, but when we start comparing it directly than we will see huge differences with last gen and other games. The level of detail on the track and the way the trees look with almost no pop in is impressive and unseen. Also in the cockpit view the RT reflections on the Cadilac adds to the extra realism just like the RT reflection on the Corvette. And im not sure if the footage even features RTGI, the only RT there is are the reflections.

Br39XKb.gif

Ed8l70B.gif

69pz9w9w3ck81.gif

iokdiz.gif

Gran-Turismo-Sport-GIF-Track-Corner.gif

Gran-Turismo-Sport-GIF-Track-Sunset.gif

Basically, the pre-rendered intros and replays from last gen GT games. Forza is still using that cartoony lighting that might actually be masking all the effort they have put into other rendering features.
Outside the 4th gif which is from GTS, none of them look photorealistic. They look incredible but not photorealistic like the 4th gif, and we know why the 4th gif looks photorealistic. Because of the tod and the weather, which is overcasty grey weather with no shadows. They always look realistic in almost any game. Even Forza Motorsport 5 had realistic looking overcast lighting, thats the easiest way to achiev photorealistic lighting.

sendit

I think we have reached the point of diminishing returns in racing games. If you told us that was all rasterization, everyone would believe you.
I think we are far from it. Outside of improved graphics:

Manufacturers won't allow it, but this bumper car bullshit breaks all sense of realism.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think we are far from it. Outside of improved graphics:

Manufacturers won't allow it, but this bumper car bullshit breaks all sense of realism.

I know exactly what you mean, and agree with that aspect as well. I wish it could be added as an option, because wrecking your car in an endurance or 24 hour 2/3rds of the way in would be gutting. Especially if there were no rewards.

But with that said, I have been a proponent that developers should be focusing on more physics simulations in games from this gen going forward. IMO, that would be a major leap in graphic "feel" when the world is dynamic and there are realistic per object physics going on everywhere.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Some leaked gameplay footage, this looks like the pc version. Why didn't they show this in the event, full RT reflections (interior and exterior) beautiful lighting, incredible environmental detail, almost no pop in, high quality shadows with no draw lines and amazing sound. And this is also not even the final build

Is there a high res version of this leak? On postage stamp sized GIFs even Driveclub looks good.

Turk1993

Also lets clear one thing up, even if the lighting looks like GT7 and doesn't feature RTGI during gameplay that would still be totaly fine since GT7 has one of the best lighting out of any none RTGI game.

Three

Forza is still using that cartoony lighting that might actually be masking all the effort they have put into other rendering features.
I somewhat agree that I think forza needs to improve its shaders/materials. I feel they have decided to simply turn down the saturation to avoid that cartoony look but as your gifs show you can still have colours that pop and as long as your materials and shaders are good it wouldn't look cartoony.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is what replays look like now in GT7.
Yeah, I meant I want replay graphics during gameplay. The intros look even better.

The interior lighting and shadows in the above Forza PC video shared, look pretty much the same as GT7's lighting and interior shadows windscreen reflections, etc, (soft shadows, etc). I do prefer the lighting tones of GT7 at the moment, only because we see the yellow/orange tones only for interior shots of Forza so far in that video.
I am not seeing any reflections in that gif posted above. At least not like the reflections and incredible interior GI seen in the GT7 gif.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Also lets clear one thing up, even if the lighting looks like GT7 and doesn't feature RTGI during gameplay that would still be totaly fine since GT7 has one of the best lighting out of any none RTGI game.
I'm convinced they borrowed a lot from Driveclub in that dynamic lighting/weather department. Not source code, mind you, but inspiration. Driveclub still has one of the best lighting/weather models that IMO still exceeds even these games. A non 4K/60+ version is a travesty. Or even that lighting/cloud/weather system applied to these sims.

There are moments in GT7 that remind me of DC.

Turk1993

I know exactly what you mean, and agree with that aspect as well. I wish it could be added as an option, because wrecking your car in an endurance or 24 hour 2/3rds of the way in would be gutting. Especially if there were no rewards.

But with that said, I have been a proponent that developers should be focusing on more physics simulations in games from this gen going forward. IMO, that would be a major leap in graphic "feel" when the world is dynamic and there are realistic per object physics going on everywhere.
Its not that they don't want to add it, its the manufacturer that doesn't allow there cars to get damaged. There was a article from FH4 where they specifically told that Ferrari didn't allow too much damage and body kits on there car. Thats why some body kits got even removed.
Yeah, I meant I want replay graphics during gameplay. The intros look even better.

I am not seeing any reflections in that gif posted above. At least not like the reflections and incredible interior GI seen in the GT7 gif.
Look in the interior of the Cadilac on the left side the shiny carbon fiber with beautiful shaders reflects the interior in real time with even all the shadows.

Turk1993

I'm convinced they borrowed a lot from Driveclub in that dynamic lighting/weather department. Not source code, mind you, but inspiration. Driveclub still has one of the best lighting/weather models that IMO still exceeds even these games. A non 4K/60+ version is a travesty. Or even that lighting/cloud/weather system applied to these sims.

There are moments in GT7 that remind me of DC.
That 1H Spa race that they added was like that, just amazing tod/weather showcase.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I am not talking about the GT7 intro videos. What I am saying is the Forza gameplay video that was just posted, does not look much different than GT7 interior gameplay other than tones in lighting, but that is all time of day and region/track/weather/cloud cover based. If you turned the HUD off most would think they were the same games.

Its not that they don't want to add it, its the manufacturer that doesn't allow there cars to get damaged. There was a article from FH4 where they specifically told that Ferrari didn't allow too much damage and body kits on there car. Thats why some body kits got even removed.
Yeah, I remember seeing GT articles back in the day where they said manufacturers shied against that as well with the licensing.

Senua

Some leaked gameplay footage, this looks like the pc version. Why didn't they show this in the event, full RT reflections (interior and exterior) beautiful lighting, incredible environmental detail, almost no pop in, high quality shadows with no draw lines and amazing sound. And this is also not even the final build

I dno how you guys are telling much from this vid, what is it 480p 500kbps bitrate? Is that the only source

Turk1993

I dno how you guys are telling much from this vid, what is it 480p 500kbps bitrate? Is that the only source
Only thing that you can see is the RT reflections and the trackside detail with impressive lod management. I hope next months stream they show some more gameplay on different tracks and weather and upload it at 4K60HDR so we can see some decent footage.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No. They have flying parts and wheels/tyres and car performance and handling are heavily affected.
It's still very unrealistic. Crashing into a wall at 30-50MPH should have them totaled. A full bumper falls off and looks silly too. While it's a little better than the hanging bumpers in GT/Forza, it's still far from totaling licensed cars, which shows the manufacturers have a limit.

Steering and performance is impacted in both Forza/GT as well.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

It's still very unrealistic. Crashing into a wall at 30-50MPH should have them totaled. A full bumper falls off and looks silly too. While it's a little better than the hanging bumpers in GT/Forza, it's still far from totaling licensed cars, which shows the manufacturers have a limit.

Steering and performance is impacted in both Forza/GT as well.
I remember when kaz promised destruction like this in gt5. Turns it was just for one car lmao

Still the best destruction I’ve seen in a sim. The way the doors open and bumpers come off is glorious.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I remember when kaz promised destruction like this in gt5. Turns it was just for one car lmao

Still the best destruction I’ve seen in a sim. The way the doors open and bumpers come off is glorious.

Yeah, it's frustrating that they have not capitalized on it. Per object and environmental physics are a game changer, IMO, when it comes to believable gameplay scenarios.

JackMcGunns

Beginning of the generation: No way consoles will be able to do ray tracing, it's just physically impossible because of the form factor.
Now: Omg, this game will not support Ray Traced Global Illumination on console, only on PC, what is the purpose of this gen again?

SlimySnake

Outside the 4th gif which is from GTS, none of them look photorealistic. They look incredible but not photorealistic like the 4th gif, and we know why the 4th gif looks photorealistic. Because of the tod and the weather, which is overcasty grey weather with no shadows. They always look realistic in almost any game. Even Forza Motorsport 5 had realistic looking overcast lighting, thats the easiest way to achiev photorealistic lighting.
Ok, how about this? This is during day time.

g1a3v0aw3ck81.gif

Even if its not photorealistic, I just want next gen racing games with these graphics. They need to stop targeting native 4k 60 fps and just give me a 1080p 60 fps game that looks like that.

Turk1993

Ok, how about this? This is during day time.

g1a3v0aw3ck81.gif

Even if its not photorealistic, I just want next gen racing games with these graphics. They need to stop targeting native 4k 60 fps and just give me a 1080p 60 fps game that looks like that.
I mean im not against what you are saying but you are comparing professionaly edited non real time non gameplay gif with tons of motion blur to a low rez direct gameplay footage and act like its not looking good. That same track and tod in GT7 looks like this during gameplay, nothing like that gif
Gran-Turismo-7-20220310182150.png

Gran-Turismo-7-20220310182003.png

Now if you watch that Forza footage you will see why im impressed by it, the environments level of detail is just soo much higher than any other "racing sim" all with full in game RT. And 1080p60 is shit, we are not in 2013 anymore. If they had DLSS they could run it 1440p upscaled to save some power but FSR2 doesn't work that good. Why add soo much more details if you are gonna destroy it all with low resolution.

Buggy Loop

I kind of wish a dev would just go cam footage look ala Unrecord on UE5, crazy shaders, etc. Would hide some details but if they could get the look of this cam footage, i would be all in.

Last edited:

CamHostage

I kind of wish a dev would just go cam footage look ala Unrecord on UE5, crazy shaders, etc. Would hide some details but if they could get the look of this cam footage, i would be all in.

Agreed. Back when Motorstorm 1 was being reintroduced for PS3, I thought a big mistake was to not force that game into first-person view. It probably would have compromised the graphics even further after that bogus reveal trailer (cockpits add a lot of extra work for the game, plus within PS3 limitations of graphics and controls it might not have worked,) but it would have captured the in-the-race feel of that trailer. Mud on the windshield, racers coming up on your blindspot, having to constantly look to the side and behind to see your surroundings... players would have griped a blue streak that they couldn't see shit, and yes, that's bad for skill-play gaming (which Motorstorm ultimately went for,) but it would have felt like the race of a lifetime...

maxresdefault.jpg

(Whatever the graphics, there's bound to be an amazing VR game played in this perspectivesome day...)

I talk about this often, but when Gears was doing its Roadie Run, that was among the most stunning graphics of that gen. Normally, the game looks high end, detailed and artfully directed, but blocky and weirdly proportioned, plus it looked like a lot of what UE3 was doing at the time because UE3 was made in part for that game and that game used every part of the UE3 buffalo. Go into the run, though, and the camera breaks out of normal game'able viewing angles to get low to the ground , and the depth changes with a bit of zoom, and blur and shake and other effects are added in, and it looks way more "real".

Same world, same characters, same level of detail, not even a cut, but the effects feel like what we think it should look like to be in that moment. Stop running, and it looks like just a game again. A game's camera, a game's viewpoint, a game's effects (because gamers would turn off any blur/motion effects if they bothered them in playing the game otherwise.)

AgileBlushingElephantbeetle-size_restricted.gif

(This is Gears 5 I think, but just to show. We've gotten used to these effects by now and they don't stand out as much anymore, but the compression of focal length and motion effects still do good work. )

The footage at the conference was incredible looking (pc version), the monthly stream footage from Series X looked average.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I know it's going to look great on PC. My disappointment is because the Series X looks nothing like that and the way they revealed it made us think it was going to look similar to that on the X.

Have we figured out if RT reflections are even in gameplay on SX?

If they're not they fucking lied boldface. I can find the quote if people don't believe me but in the stream after the reveal one of the leads said in the most unambiguous way possible something like this:

"Let me be clear. When we say "on track" we mean we'll have full reflections during gameplay on series x".

So for the recent conference gameplay not to have them would mean they lied really brazenly. Or, if they didn't lie and they just fucked up thinking they could get them working when they couldn't then they need to set the record straight, be honest, and apologize.

Dunnas

RTGI at 60fps on 500$ console, come on bro.lol Ray Tracing there on XSX but it's not RTGI. Its just reflections.

Though Starfield supports RTGI on SX at 30fps. So can't they add 30fps RTGI mode in Forza??
The RT in the Starfield rtgi stands for “real time”, not “ray traced”

Olimbox

Neo Member
IMO Microsoft should quit the console market and make a high end laptop based on series X hardware, just more powerful and prize it $800/900. Give 1 year of gamepass for free and focus only on PC version of games.

Since it's a laptop, you can bring it everywhere, but still connect it to your tv and use it as "box" if you want. It could have a dual boot, xbox and windows 11, so you get the best (or the worst) of both worlds :)

Filben

Not surprised at all. RT really is taxing. This gen is more like "RT-ready" like back in the day when it was "HD ready" with 720p.

Those screenshots look sexy as hell, though.

Top Bottom