• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport will support Ray Tracing Global Illumination, but only on PC

hlm666

That's just RTGI though they are still doing RTreflectioms and shadows right?
I saw RT reflections mentioned for xsx and RT gi/reflections for pc but nothing about shadows specifically even though technically RTGI should have that covered.

StueyDuck

I saw RT reflections mentioned for xsx and RT gi/reflections for pc but nothing about shadows specifically even though technically RTGI should have that covered.
gi will cover it on PC but on consoles surely they can do just shadows with their regular lighting, lets hope

hlm666

gi will cover it on PC but on consoles surely they can do just shadows with their regular lighting, lets hope
No idea, we have seen though that the RDNA3 hardware can handle 1 RT effect ok but once you start adding more that's when the performance tanks in comparison to nvidia, so the xsx being rdna2 i'm not sure we should be expecting more than just reflections unless there is a 30hz mode. I get that it's frustrating for people with consoles, but it's good to see microsoft finally going the extra mile on pc for people with the hardware.

As a side note, microsoft announced they are going to be adding support for pc gamepass working on geforce now. So people who really want the eye candy and have gamepass will be able to grab a geforce now sub for 20 bucks for the 4080 4k/120hz tier. I should probably make a thread for that instead of dropping it in a game specific thread.

Zathalus

Not sure what's up with the comments throwing shade at Xbox. PS5 games have the exact same issue, Returnal PC having RT, Ratchet and Clank and Spider-Man both having additional RT settings as well. Not to mention DLSS

Obviously the PC version will have additional settings above the XSX, especially as the console will be almost 3 years old when this releases.

Still waiting on PC version of GTA V to get RT support. Wondering why they bothered with the console RT when it's doing it sub 60 yet on PC we actually have the hardware to push that higher :|

PeteBull

I don't know why XSX can't run RTGI at 60fps at 1080p or slightly less with reconstruction, with details reduced.
XSX gpu is rdna2 from amd, that architecture really takes huge blow when trying to run raytracing, and remember rt puts heavy strain on cpu too.
Top end pc gpu (4090) is easily 4x more powerful if u count in raytracing, cpu easily 2x more powerful, so i guess u would have to run in 1080p 30fps maybe on xsx and thats probably not what dev wants for their sim racing game.

HelpYouFall

I don't even know what this shit is. That track number is looking mighty thin though, which is infinitely more worrying ...

Umbasaborne

Banned
Makes sense, rtgi is beefy. I think the most recent console versions of witcher 3 have it, but it took them months to get it running at a stable 30 fps

ToTTenTranz

Banned
So this thread turned into a bunch of people angry that $500 consoles can't run the same settings and features as $2500 PCs with a $1200 RTX graphics card.

Let's see what a $500 PC can get us, with a Nvidia graphics card (you know, the ones that run raytracing really well).

5TX51rP.png

Now feel free to get all of this and play Forza Motorsport with Raytraced Global Illumination on that awesome GTX 1650 from Nvidia.

Alternatively, you can also wait for the Nintendo Switch version to come. It also has a Nvidia GPU so I'm sure it'll run Raytraced Global Illumination just fine.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
So this thread turned into a bunch of people angry that $500 consoles can't run the same settings and features as $2500 PCs with a $1200 RTX graphics card.

Let's see what a $500 PC can get us, with a Nvidia graphics card (you know, the ones that run raytracing really well).

5TX51rP.png

Now feel free to get all of this and play Forza Motorsport with Raytraced Global Illumination on that awesome GTX 1650 from Nvidia.

Alternatively, you can also wait for the Nintendo Switch version to come. It also has a Nvidia GPU so I'm sure it'll run Raytraced Global Illumination just fine.
With streaming you don't even need these specs. :)

Kerotan

Next year the pro consoles Will be needed. Only it will be messy for Xbox because they'll have 3 different one's.

PeteBull

5TX51rP.png

Those are terrible specs, and gtx 1650 doesnt support any kind of RT even, lowest gpu that supports rt is rtx 3050 or from 1 gen older rtx 2060 ;X
Both are very weak gpus tho. https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-3050-8-gb.c3858

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Those are terrible specs, and gtx 1650 doesnt support any kind of RT even, lowest gpu that supports rt is rtx 3050 or from 1 gen older rtx 2060 ;X
Both are very weak gpus tho. https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-3050-8-gb.c3858

Yes, I know. But these are the specs you can get with $500 and a Geforce GPU.

There are some comments in this thread shitting on the consoles' hardware for not being able to do raytracing as well as their ultra expensive Nvidia GPUs.
Those consoles went on sale almost 3 years ago, and still to this day there's nothing from Nvidia even remotely close to these consoles' raytracing performance on that price.

Worse still, the best thing they can get from Nvidia today are $400 graphics cards with 8GB VRAM that can't even match the consoles' texture and shadowmap sizes at 1080p, let alone running 4K upscaled from 1440-1800p which is what the consoles are running.

The cognitive dissonance here is just mind boggling. Though I guess if the goal is to fanboy hard first and think second, anything goes.

Buggy Loop

stop being poor

Some peoples are having austere lives, blows my mind.

But let’s buy the top line OLED

Let’s throw money down the drain for online subscription fee

Let’s pay more per game basis

Next gen? Well bye bye library.. might have to pay cash to get a patch for higher res

Pro version coming? Oh giddy! What a good investment

Resolution drop to 900p 30 fps? Pffft, totally fine.

The thing is that if their baseline to be satisfied is so low, the console equivalent PC would be much cheaper, ~$800 range. It costs more to be a console owner but they only see the baseline price.

GHG

Some peoples are having austere lives, blows my mind.

But let’s buy the top line OLED

Let’s throw money down the drain for online subscription fee

Let’s pay more per game basis

Next gen? Well bye bye library.. might have to pay cash to get a patch for higher res

Pro version coming? Oh giddy! What a good investment

Resolution drop to 900p 30 fps? Pffft, totally fine.

The thing is that if their baseline to be satisfied is so low, the console equivalent PC would be much cheaper, ~$800 range. It costs more to be a console owner but they only see the baseline price.

Don't forget the daily dose of Starbucks these corporate sheep cucks most likely consume.

giphy.webp

sigrad

"Alongside Ray Tracing Global Illumination, the game will support ray-traced reflections on all platforms."
In what way, what modes?
They said earlier It will be 4k, maybe upscaled, 60fps with RT mirrorlike reflections during gameplay and then 4k 60fps soft RT reflections during replays

djjinx2

The title has been worded that way, I mean we knew this last year so why say "but only on PC"

Mr Moose

5TX51rP.png

What are you going to install the games on?

Umbasaborne

Banned
There are some posts I don’t expect to see on an enthusiast forum. This is one of them.

A $499 console from 2020 isn’t going to perform at the same level as an RTX 4080.
Yep, I swear I see people getting surprised when these consoles can’t hold up to a high end pc. Thats almost always the case with consoles.

There was a period where the xbox 360 was pretty much on par with the best pc’s on the market, but that ended after a year or two. The ps4 and xbox one were always underpowered. I wouldn’t say the ps5/series x were underpowered. They are pretty equivalent to 2070/2080 cards, which were still relatively new back in 2020.

Video cards out pace console tech at a such a rapid pace though that it will likely be 5 plus years until we see consoles that are anywhere near equivalent to a 4080 or 90, and by that point the gpu market will still be way ahead

Last edited:

C2brixx

Don't even know why this matters. You get the PC version when you purchase the console version or sub to GP Ultimate. Want the best graphics? Get a high end gaming PC when you can afford it and all your Xbox games will be there to play. Win win. :messenger_ok:

Top Bottom