• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport will support Ray Tracing Global Illumination, but only on PC

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
seriously-where-was-world-premiere-voice-over-guy-at-xbox-bethesda-e3-2021_feature.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Is it just me or there is no ray tracing in track?

I feel like we have lost our damn minds with this 30 fps and ray tracing nonsense. The game does not look next gen. It barely even looks better than last gen Forzas. RTGI wont fix this last gen lighting, it will only make it slightly more accurate.

I dont understand how these managed to do Forza 5 day on on xbox one with a massive leap on a console with only 5x more tflops and essentially the same trash CPU, but now, with a 9x boost in tflops and a massively more powerful CPU, the graphics look mostly the same?

What are we doing here? Why is no calling them out for releasing a next gen only game this dated in 2023?

Thirty7ven

Banned
I feel like we have lost our damn minds with this 30 fps and ray tracing nonsense. The game does not look next gen. It barely even looks better than last gen Forzas. RTGI wont fix this last gen lighting, it will only make it slightly more accurate.

I dont understand how these managed to do Forza 5 day on on xbox one with a massive leap on a console with only 5x more tflops and essentially the same trash CPU, but now, with a 9x boost in tflops and a massively more powerful CPU, the graphics look mostly the same?

What are we doing here? Why is no calling them out for releasing a next gen only game this dated in 2023?

The environments around the track seem to be very detailed. I agree though that Forza usually goes for this vibrancy I guess you could call it, that takes a bit away from photo realism but it’s an aesthetic choice.

djjinx2

Not sure if serious?

Game is months away, so who are we calling out and why

Rob_27

I thought we were going to get ai upscaled bollocks. Or machine learning so that it could upscale better and use the extra power for other guff.

SlimySnake

The environments around the track seem to be very detailed. I agree though that Forza usually goes for this vibrancy I guess you could call it, that takes a bit away from photo realism but it’s an aesthetic choice.
I am not seeing this detailed envrionment. Its ok at best. Environments looked better in Driveclub and Forza Horizon.

Three

Real proper RTGI on PC, higher poly cars and the game would look great. It won't just look more accurate but next gen. That's what "looking next gen" is striving for in games like this, looking more accurate. I'm not sure what you were expecting for something to look next gen. What did you have in mind other than looking more realistic?

djjinx2

Since when does being months away mean the visuals can’t be criticized/praised?
"What are we doing here? Why is no calling them out for releasing a next gen only game this dated in 2023?"

I mean the game isn't released, I have seen it compared already to GT photomode shots already. WTF is going on here.

Not sure if serious?

Do you think they will take a last gen looking game and make it next gen in the final three months?
Last gen looking. WOW

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Developers have a playbook, engage the rare pc crowd without damaging the console versions.

SlimySnake

Real proper RTGI on PC, higher poly cars and the game would look great. It won't just look more accurate but next gen. That's what "looking next gen" is striving for in games like this, looking more accurate. I'm not sure what you were expecting for something to look next gen. What did you have in mind other than looking more realistic?
Photorealistic lighting, way better weather effects, way better destruction, better trackside detail, these trees look really basic. There is so much to improve.

Instead of wasting time working on RTGI on PC, they shouldve gone back and redid their entire lighting model to be more photorealistic on xbox. They had 6 years and an insanely powerful CPU/GPU combo.

//DEVIL//

Is it just me or there is no ray tracing in track?

did any notice that when its raining, its only raining on the screen and the car is not even wet ? lolll.

honestly the graphics are super disappointing in this game. the reveal trailer was way more impressive.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And they'll show it off in commercials with the Xbox logo, tricking the masses into thinking that's what they'll pop into their consoles.

Tripolygon

Banned
did any notice that when its raining, its only raining on the screen and the car is not even wet ? lolll.

honestly the graphics are super disappointing in this game. the reveal trailer was way more impressive.
Probably has to do with the way the scene is lit.

//DEVIL//

Probably has to do with the way the scene is lit.

nope. it's just there is no rain on the car. I am hoping this is because it's an early build. but I hope to god the graphics get better. because so far from that video, the game doesn't look any better than FM7 on PC.

Last edited:
Budget gaming. All consoles are. Don't expect powerful machines out of them, just good enough for the task.
In this day and age, you're either a "budget gamer" or a fool, or very rich. A fool wastes his/her money on things that are wasteful. Budget gaming is for the savvy because everything is seeing costs go through the roof. People should only be getting the "best of the best" if they have enough money to not worry about anything.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I hope they blow out the game for high-end GPUs, but I would expect very, very limited RT in-game on console. GT7 doesn't have it at all and it looks great and DJ Khaled has proven to me that the XSX is not much more powerful than PS5 and doesn't have secret sauce. You can only do so much on fixed hardware.

Tripolygon

Banned

nope. its just there is no rain on the car. I am hoping this is because its an early build. but I hope to god the graphics get better. because so far from today's video ( the game doesn't look any better than FM7 on PC.

You might be right; it looks like the rain effect is only visible on the camera but not in the world. Can't believe no one still has touched driveclub rain effect.

LazyDimpledFeline-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

You might be right; it looks like the rain effect is only visible on the camera but not in the world. Can't believe no one still has touched driveclub rain effect.

Yup. Drive Club hands down has the most impressive gameplay graphics in a racing game. Even though, Need for Speed unbound has an amazing car details ( that I thought they matched Drive Club ( the car only, ugly anime affect and city is a big no )

SlimySnake

Their excuse last gen was that FOrza and GT are 60 fps so they lose half of the GPU power rendering double the frames instead of upping the trackside detail and weather in Driveclub.

Ok fine, but this 12.1 tflops GPU has 9.3x more tflops than the base xbox one. And counting IPC gains, is nearly 14x more powerful than the xbox one. You can have your 2x more power to do driveclub quality rain, sense of speed and forza horizon's trackside detail and still have 12x more GPU resources left to do other shit to make it look next gen.

Not to mention how they are no longer bound by jaguar CPUs like DriveClub and Forza Horizon were.

Three

Photorealistic lighting, way better weather effects, way better destruction, better trackside detail, these trees look really basic. There is so much to improve.

Instead of wasting time working on RTGI on PC, they shouldve gone back and redid their entire lighting model to be more photorealistic on xbox. They had 6 years and an insanely powerful CPU/GPU combo.
I think RTGI would go some way to provide more photorealistic lighting. I think they need to improve some of their shaders as well though to make it really shine.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons

I mean the Series X footage also didn't blow me away but you got to keep in mind with 3 things.
- The track is set in Africa so its not the most visually dense track to show the environments compared to other tracks like Maple Valley
- Every footage before this was running on pc with all the effects enabled like RT reflections and RTGI
- This was not a recent build and they had lots of missing effects and iq issues which destroyed the overall presentation

CnJuDPY.jpg

lVCfEfG.jpg

35.jpg

Turk1993

Also noticed that Kyalami logo is in a wrong angle lol, who put that there and thought yeah that looks right.

Pedro Motta

The car paint shader model they are using looks completely wrong, especially the index of reflection of the metallic paint. Makes the game look cartoonish compared to GT7.

Last edited:

sendit

The car paint shader model they are using looks completely wrong, especially the index of reflection of the metallic paint. Makes the game look cartoonish compared to GT7.

I agree, the lighting regardless of what time of day it is looks completely off. The image quality however IMO, looks pristine.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Looks fine as fuck. And knowing T10s pedigree, probably will be a rock solid performer to boot.

Last edited:
I have a 4090 in my PC and honestly I've come to the conclusion that ray tracing is just not there yet. Even with DLSS Quality and Frame Generation together, you still take a massive hit to framerate like no other setting. And all this for what most games barely offer anything significant over regular rasterized graphics. There's only one game I know of that uses it in a truly transformative way and that's Cyberpunk 2077 with specifically the RT Overdrive mode. This is because it's not some bolted on ray traced feature but full blown revamp of the entire lighting pipeline to only use ray tracing. It solves virtually all of the raster graphics techniques flaws and limitations but there's a catch...

It only looks good when everything is frozen in time. The second there's motion, it falls apart. Their denoiser just can't cope with the extremely limited number of rays being fired into the scene per frame to keep things perfectly clean at all times. Compare the shadows of an NPC walking past a glowing billboard at night when using the old RT Psycho setting vs Overdrive. The old one has clean shadows on every frame while these shadows in Overdrive mode are just a smeary blur across the ground because they can only make this mode performant on a 4090 with all the DLSS optimizations available in conjunction with temporal ray gathering. It's an ugly mess and destroys the illusion when you view these things as an INTERACTIVE medium and not just a screenshot simulator. In a racing game? Forget it. Totally meaningless. It's a non-feature.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
I have a 4090 in my PC and honestly I've come to the conclusion that ray tracing is just not there yet. Even with DLSS Quality and Frame Generation together, you still take a massive hit to framerate like no other setting. And all this for what most games barely offer anything significant over regular rasterized graphics. There's only one game I know of that uses it in a truly transformative way and that's Cyberpunk 2077 with specifically the RT Overdrive mode. This is because it's not some bolted on ray traced feature but full blown revamp of the entire lighting pipeline to only use ray tracing. It solves virtually all of the raster graphics techniques flaws and limitations but there's a catch...

It only looks good when everything is frozen in time. The second there's motion, it falls apart. Their denoiser just can't cope with the extremely limited number of rays being fired into the scene per frame to keep things perfectly clean at all times. Compare the shadows of an NPC walking past a glowing billboard at night when using the old RT Psycho setting vs Overdrive. The old one has clean shadows on every frame while these shadows in Overdrive mode are just a smeary blur across the ground because they can only make this mode performant on a 4090 with all the DLSS optimizations available in conjunction with temporal ray gathering. It's an ugly mess and destroys the illusion when you view these things as an INTERACTIVE medium and not just a screenshot simulator. In a racing game? Forget it. Totally meaningless. It's a non-feature.
Gameplay RT on PC in Forza Horizon 5 only adds self-reflections of your car so it's quite low on GPU usage, so it really depends on how it's implemented in the game and what it is used for.
I wish they added a setting to also have other cars' reflections on our car like in photo mode (it's heavier of course). Or better, also include the world reflections in RT instead of still using cubemaps (even in photo mode).

But with a 4090 I don't need DLSS3 FG to maintain 120 FPS in FH5, so with FG (or 60 FPS) they can make RT better.
I still use FG though so it only uses around 50% of the GPU, thus lower power usage, less heat, and still crisp 4K120 image.

Last edited:
What pisses me off so much is how that first reveal trailer they were presenting it to the masses as Series X. "Witness the power of the Series X through Forza Motorsport" was in the official video blurb.

Just be fucking honest from the beginning. This is just as bad as Redfall being shown at 60 fps running "Series X" when that turned put to be a lie.

The game itself honestly looks worse than gt7 AND no RT reflections in gameplay

Turk1993

Some leaked gameplay footage, this looks like the pc version. Why didn't they show this in the event, full RT reflections (interior and exterior) beautiful lighting, incredible environmental detail, almost no pop in, high quality shadows with no draw lines and amazing sound. And this is also not even the final build

Riky

$MSFT
Some leaked gameplay footage, this looks like the pc version. Why didn't they show this in the event, full RT reflections (interior and exterior) beautiful lighting, incredible environmental detail, almost no pop in, high quality shadows with no draw lines and amazing sound. And this is also not even the final build

That looks impressive.

SlimySnake

Looks better but not that good.

I think in the conference they showed everything running on the XSX or at XSX specs. I think starfield was supposedly running on XSX equivalent hardware/settings. They were trying to be transparent I guess. Kinda refreshing tbh.

Will be playing this on PC so its good to see them not hold back their true vision because of series x let alone series s.

They should of shown gameplay on a more dynamic track. This way the game looked nothing spectacular with a very bland outside track environment and theres plenty real life tracks that just arent lookers. The announcement trailer made it look great but the track choice to show the actual gameplay was so bad. I dont doubt it will look good considering how FH5 ended up looking but I can totally see why people would say this looks bad. Not sure if the game will have any fantasy tracks or just real life ones but even GT7 can look like a drab if its one of those tracks that simply dont have that much side detail but then you play the game on a made up track and it shines:

Last edited:

sendit

Meh...no vr, no buy.

Turk1993

Looks better but not that good.

I think in the conference they showed everything running on the XSX or at XSX specs. I think starfield was supposedly running on XSX equivalent hardware/settings. They were trying to be transparent I guess. Kinda refreshing tbh.

Will be playing this on PC so its good to see them not hold back their true vision because of series x let alone series s.
Whats not looking good in this footage? This is a track racing sim, did you expect titans to fight in the background :messenger_grinning_sweat:.

They should of shown gameplay on a more dynamic track. This way the game looked nothing spectacular with a very bland outside track environment and theres plenty real life tracks that just arent lookers. The announcement trailer made it look great but the track choice to show the actual gameplay was so bad. I dont doubt it will look good considering how FH5 ended up looking but I can totally see why people would say this looks bad.
Yup that South African track is not the most visually track to showcase the graphics. But still compared to other games is can see huge upgrades.

CamHostage

...What would be your definition of 'photorealistic'?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I think we have reached the point of diminishing returns in racing games. If you told us that was all rasterization, everyone would believe you.

SlimySnake

...What would be your definition of 'photorealistic'?
Br39XKb.gif

Ed8l70B.gif

69pz9w9w3ck81.gif

iokdiz.gif

Gran-Turismo-Sport-GIF-Track-Corner.gif

Gran-Turismo-Sport-GIF-Track-Sunset.gif

Basically, the pre-rendered intros and replays from last gen GT games. Forza is still using that cartoony lighting that might actually be masking all the effort they have put into other rendering features.

SlimySnake

I think we have reached the point of diminishing returns in racing games. If you told us that was all rasterization, everyone would believe you.
Nah, just look at any GT intro from last gen. They look vastly better than what those GTs were able to do during gameplay.

Until i get interiors like this from Forza and GT, im not going to worry about diminishing returns.

bkEqHFw.gif

Top Bottom