• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

i gave up on From Dust Till Dawn series and a random horror movie on netflix to settle on an episode of Bojack. Probably a good decision, the From Dusk Till Dawn series is particularly boring, it's trying to expand parts of the movie but all it does is stretch them out and drag the whole thing down.

VanWinkle

It's not.

Brah. Come on now.

0926152357.jpg

0926152357a.jpg

welp, not a single win for Valiant, but still had a lot of nominations. I think the awards were well-deserved across the board, at least from the stuff I've actually read.

Vibranium

Banned
Harvey Awards. I think they're the second biggest after the Eisner's?

Winners and noms are here: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/09/26/live-from-the-harvey-awards-2015-in-baltimore/

I need to Ninjak for a bit.

Once again, Steve Epting is ignored for best artist for his work on Velvet. Very annoying, this man does not get enough credit.

I'm glad Elizabeth Breitweiser got a nom for best colorist at least. She should have won in my opinion, because she elevates gritty books.

Once again, Steve Epting is ignored for best artist for his work on Velvet. Very annoying, this man does not get enough credit.

I'm glad Elizabeth Breitweiser got a nom for best colorist at least. She should have won in my opinion, because she elevates gritty books.

Epting is top tier, and I'm surprised he wasn't up there. I think Staples would have won regardless, but still. Paolo Rivera was MIA as well.

Dave Stewart tho
:bow:

Indeed.

Ninjak reminds me of a g.i. joe.

Ehhhhh

VanWinkle

I forgot to say that I finished Astro City Family Album yesterday morning. It was pretty awesome. One thing that drove me crazy, though, was how bad the child faces are. You know the kind I'm talking about; looks like an adult face pasted into a child head. Some people just can't draw children. The art was pretty good other than that. And the Alex Ross covers were incredible. Actually, there were some sketches in the back, and one was how Alex Ross drew the little girl character who looked so weird in the actual comics, and it looked fantastic. Ross has no problem with the proper face proportions.

Seems about right
So I get to hire someone new at FroYo. Looking through all these resumes... People are awful. Now I know what I'm up against when I'm looking for a job and I feel much better about my chances. Haha
It's scary how many of these kids have like 4 jobs on their resume, each held for just 2-3 months. C'mon now.
And so many grammar/spelling errors. And so much horrible formatting.
They're children. They're terrible.
I can't remember if I read the Secret Origins issue, so no recommendation on that, but my outstanding policy on Future's End tie-ins is "fuck Future's End with a garden rake," so definitely avoid that.
Grayson's tie-in is godlike. Some of them are genuinely good. Red Hood and the Outlaws, Constantine, Sinestro, The Phantom Stranger, Swamp Thing, and Grayson were all pretty good. I liked Green Arrow's and Superman's as well.

Out of all the ones I read, the only ones I'd actively avoid are Pandora, Batgirl, and Suicide Squad. JLDark and Batman were super okay. I don't remember any others that I read.

Just finished Superman: For All Seasons.

It was great. Really great. My favorite parts was
Jonathan Kent's "My son is old enough to say goodbye"
moment and
the whole winter part. I loved Lana Lang's voiceover and everything else.
Also, the
two kisses
were good.

I strongly recommend it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just finished Superman: For All Seasons.

It was great. Really great. My favorite parts was
Jonathan Kent's "My son is old enough to say goodbye"
moment and
the whole winter part. I loved Lana Lang's voiceover and everything else.
Also, the
two kisses
were good.

I strongly recommend it.
A wonderful book. Like every Sale/Loeb book...

Owzers

If someone traveled through time to bring GAF one message and it were about comics being a mistake, would you believe them? I think i would...

Boogiepop

There's certainly an archetype for ninjas, but Ninjak is one of the few I know of that has his hair not under a mask.
Strider?

Also, I should have Volume 1 of both Shadowman and Bloodshot on the way soon. (Didn't pick them, just getting sent them). So I'll be able to try some Valiant. In case the question ends up having merit: if you were to pick one trade/series for getting into the Valiant stuff, what would you recommend?

Strider?

Also, I should have Volume 1 of both Shadowman and Bloodshot on the way soon. (Didn't pick them, just getting sent them). So I'll be able to try some Valiant. In case the question ends up having merit: if you were to pick one trade/series for getting into the Valiant stuff, what would you recommend?

Well, I did say few lol

Bloodshot and Shadowman... probably won't hook you. They are great, don't get me wrong, but they're not the series that'll really show you what separates Valiant as a publisher. My usual go-to suggestions are:

The Valiant
Harbinger vol 1
Ivar, Timewalker vol 1
Archer & Armstrong vol 1
The Death-Defying Dr. Mirage vol 1

Any of those, just pick the one that appeals to you
except Ivar, which seems to appeal to no one for some bizarre reason, but is secretly their best current series
. They are all $10 trades, as well, so they won't break the bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom