• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS|OT|October 2017- The only thing scarier than Messi's avatar are Marvels sales

My Planetary omnibus came today. I’ve never read this, or heard about it, but from some GAF post I’m in for a treat.

First reactions: it’s huge, and heavy lmao.

Thank you GAF, Amazon, and Audible for the free graphic novel :).

Make sure to use the official omnibus reading position:
YVXoMfO.png

tim1138

My Planetary omnibus came today. I’ve never read this, or heard about it, but from some GAF post I’m in for a treat.

First reactions: it’s huge, and heavy lmao.

Thank you GAF, Amazon, and Audible for the free graphic novel :).

Planetary is one of the best comics ever

Owzers

Is that what you got from Amazon? If so, I'm not surprised. About half the books I buy from them come damaged.

Yep, audible promo. i don't even give the Barnes and Noble buy 2 get 1 sales much of a chance anymore, always damaged, Amazon too. At first i saw the for page side corners were fine-ish with only minor wear but then i saw the spine and kinda frowned. Free book vs. obsessing over things.....hmmmmm. I could exchange it but what are the chances i get a better one when they don't use any packaging material?

VanWinkle

Yep, audible promo. i don't even give the Barnes and Noble buy 2 get 1 sales much of a chance anymore, always damaged, Amazon too. At first i saw the for page side corners were fine-ish with only minor wear but then i saw the spine and kinda frowned. Free book vs. obsessing over things.....hmmmmm. I could exchange it but what are the chances i get a better one when they don't use any packaging material?

See that's a weird situation. I normally exchange my books, and they do somehow always turn out better the second time. But because the book was free, I don't know if I would, lol.

Owzers

See that's a weird situation. I normally exchange my books, and they do somehow always turn out better the second time. But because the book was free, I don't know if I would, lol.

the second time they send you an empty box and you just imagine a better book.

Sou Da

Isn't Bombshell a good girl now

Also the numbering is confusing

Lol, it's supposed to be her mom but I'm pretty sure Bendis is just winging his Spider-Man scripts or doing a terrible job of communicating with artists. Like there was one cover that was entirely non-specific for an issue of Miles going to Japan.

Sandfox

Lol, it's supposed to be her mom but I'm pretty sure Bendis is just winging his Spider-Man scripts or doing a terrible job of communicating with artists. Like there was one cover that was entirely non-specific for an issue of Miles going to Japan.
Both of them are on the cover and the solicitations it.

Owzers

I was going to but I realized I don't really care about that book anymore. Just grabbed the Grayson omni and the Super Sons tpb.
I’m trying to figure out when my comic trade collection becomes my dvd collection and it never gets new books cycling into it because I buy new image titles digitally for the most part. After hellboy in hell library and east of west, is my ohc bookcase just going to be frozen in time while everything new is on the iPad? It’s weird. I was thinking maybe Low but it just might be the next digital sale book I buy to join everything else.

After hellboy in hell library and east of west, is my ohc bookcase just going to be frozen in time while everything new is on the iPad? It’s weird. I was thinking maybe Low but it just might be the next digital sale book I buy to join everything else.

I still buy omnis of things I want to read and hardcovers for stuff I really liked. I just bought the 14th Walking Dead hardcover last week. If Black Monday Murders gets an OHC it will be glorious.

Is this a magic store?

Messi is responsible for safety and the place consistently doesn't burn down. Sounds like magic to me.

Ross61

Not even close. My name sounds way more German.

Seems like a really drastic change. Lighter skin and different hair color.
She’s had that hair color all of Rebirth. The skin tone changes with the author and it’s never been specified what Latina aha is.

Aizo

Banned
She’s had that hair color all of Rebirth. The skin tone changes with the author and it’s never been specified what Latina aha is.
I guess I’ve not seen her enough. I didn’t think her hair was that orange looking.
Guess I’m easily bothered by what appears to be whitewashing.

Ross61

I guess I’ve not seen her enough. I didn’t think her hair was that orange looking.
Guess I’m easily bothered by what appears to be whitewashing.
Can’t really make a case for whitewashing when her skin tone hasn’t even been consistent when she was first conceived.

Isn't Bombshell a good girl now

Also the numbering is confusing

She's probably going to snap when Miles shoots her down for no good reason.

The best reading position is a tablet or Kindle in bed, however you want. The best Omnibus reading position is never, because they go on shelves to look good.

I've been clearing through my backlog of physical singles bc i'm tired of my room being a dang mess - Slam #1 probably being the best so far, great characters and great art.

Also I remember the start of Birds of Prey Rebirth being controversial on here because of the art and now i can safely say that anyone who didn't like it is a damn goober
Clearly the colorists are all conspiring to gradually lighten dark skin tones so no one notices.

tumblr_inline_o6mt0kaqQ31t7x4py_500.gif

Whitewashing can be accidental

caliph95

Colorist kinda suck in regards to skin color sometimes they're not really consistent with it

Connor Hawke went through two different races

The absolute worst is when an original character is drawn and its quite obvious there of an ethnic origin due to skin tones used by the artist, but then when a different artist takes over they just completely ignore previous work, use there own white skin tone and then get away with it by saying 'well it wasn't stated anywhere the character isn't white'. Or in film/tv adaptions they whitewash a character but then think thats no problem because they have like one black/hispanic actor actor in the whole cast so its officialy a multi cultural cast :(

I need to wait for them to release ultimate collection 4 before I can read more Miles man, probably going to be waiting quite a while though they pack a lot of issues in those bad boys.

The absolute worst is when an original character is drawn and its quite obvious there of an ethnic origin due to skin tones used by the artist, but then when a different artist takes over they just completely ignore previous work, use there own white skin tone and then get away with it by saying 'well it wasn't stated anywhere the character isn't white'. Or in film/tv adaptions they whitewash a character but then think thats no problem because they have like one black/hispanic actor actor in the whole cast so its officialy a multi cultural cast :(

I need to wait for them to release ultimate collection 4 before I can read more Miles man, probably going to be waiting quite a while though they pack a lot of issues in those bad boys.
People complain about Sunspot in the movie trailer but he has been whitewashed for decades in the comics.

Didn't really care for the first issue of the Faith ongoing from Valiant but I did really like the scene where Faith beats up a robber, takes him to the cops, but then they can't actually charge him with anything because she was the only one who saw the guy. I don't see that kinda thing often in vigilante superhero books
I don't even know what to say to this.
You came to a baffling conclusion. Who's arguing conspiracy?

An Open Letter To Chuck Dixon

Jimenez wrote this on his blog:
Chuck Dixon wrote some of the first comics I ever drew/became known for (Robin). He was a great script writer, and his scripts at the time didn't overly reflect his politics that I can remember, tho I remember editors warning me he was conservative. I learned more about his politics through friends and peers than personal experience, which I guess I'm grateful for. His descent into ...this... leaves me smh. Such a waste.

Top Bottom