• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could the Ps5 do quick resume if Sony desired it to?

sainraja

Again, I don't think people understand what they're fighting so hard against. It's not a feature you "use". It's just a baked-in feature of the OS. If a game supports Quick Resume, the next time you load that game it picks off right where you where when exited it. So if someone says it's a feature they won't "use", I guess that means they'll only play a game once and never load it again to avoid "using" that feature? It's like saying "SSDs are nice and all but I'll never use the fast loading feature".
OK, so if you were to quit out of a game, will you pick off right where you exited? I exit out of Forza Horizon 5 and when I go back to it, it starts from the beginning including the boot sequence of the game then loads into my save.
I'd have to leave the game running in order for it to work how you are describing it in the bolded part.
The Xbox OS does not let you continue from exactly where you left it if you close/quit the game. You're being a bit misleading here. If it worked how you are describing it, then yes, you'd have to try not to use it but that's not how it works. I have exited out of many games and haven't started where I left it when I got back to it lol.

The main part some of you are not getting is the fact that some people close their games. For example, I was sharing my opinion on how I use it on the Xbox. MrFunSocks couldn't comprehend that lol. I do close out of games before I shut the system off. That's just what I do with my systems. The point or discussion has been around if people feel strong enough about it to want it on the PS5 and some were sharing if the PS5 had it, it'd be great but it's not needed given how some of us are not really using it on a system it is available on. Everyone's different and some of you just don't get that.

Again - Sony’s “suspend” and Microsoft’s quick resume are completely different. Suspend doesn’t dump the game state to the hdd. Suspend is not the same as quick resume event with just a single game. Also, try and unplug your PS5 from the power point and see how it’s “quick resume” works when you turn it back on lol.
Have you not been reading any of my responses? I know the differences and I even highlighted those for you sine you couldn't "understand" the relevance of how many games a person is playing. I play and focus on a single game most of the time so when I am done with it, I close it off. That seems to be a problem for you lol.

Really not sure why you’re arguing this so hard lol. It’s a great next gen feature that Microsoft have that Sony don’t have an answer for at the moment. Accept it and move on. You clearly don’t understand that they are fundamentally different. It’s not just Sony does 1 and MS does 3 lol.
I actually haven't been "arguing this so hard" outside of just clarifying my own usage of the feature which you were questioning. Do you not understand how a conversation flows? I shared my opinion and it would have ended there but you couldn't 'deal' with how I used it and therefore how it informed my own opinion and usage of it. I guess I am sorry that I responded to you? lol

It’s crystal clear that you just have to defend Sony here and talk down a legit great and useful feature because your console of choice doesn’t have it. Last reply of yours I’ll see, enjoy your “quick resume”.
I haven't been defending Sony here. I think you are so invested into your Xbox ecosystem that you can't understand how others might feel differently and not surprised that you are now "bowing" out of the conversation. I said in the first post I made here that if the PS5 had it, it would be great but I still wouldn't "use" it so the value or the benefit of it just doesn't apply for me. I've had the Xbox for 8 months now and I just haven't utilized it that much.

I don't even use the "quick resume" feature of the PS5 in stand-by. So for me, these are nice to haves.

Have a nice day!

Last edited:
OK, so if you were to ....
SNIP
Have a nice day!
Man, you're trying way too hard.
This thread is again a prime example of petty console warring. You have on one side the owners of a plastic box which has a nice feature that gives some QoL. On the other side the owners of a different piece of plastic which can't do said quality of life improving feature. Now you get to hear all the arguments why they don't need it, never would use it anyway and how it is absolutely useless. Even worse most have no real idea what "Quick Resume" does and how it works. This is not only pathetic behavior, it's also really childish.
If the thread were about the haptic features of the dualshock you could reverse the two parties and you'd have the exact same thread, where one side praises this new feature and can't play any game without it and the other claim they'd turn it off instantly because it's too gimmicky.

I know this is going to be a hard concept to grasp for some, but stuff on the other piece of plastic can be great. Be it games or cool features. You wont loose your sony/Xbox membership card.

sainraja

This thread is again a prime example of petty console warring. You have on one side the owners of a plastic box which has a nice feature that gives some QoL. On the other side the owners of a different piece of plastic which can't do said quality of life improving feature. Now you get to hear all the arguments why they don't need it, never would use it anyway and how it is absolutely useless. Even worse most have no real idea what "Quick Resume" does and how it works. This is not only pathetic behavior, it's also really childish.
If the thread were about the haptic features of the dualshock you could reverse the two parties and you'd have the exact same thread, where one side praises this new feature and can't play any game without it and the other claim they'd turn it off instantly because it's too gimmicky.

I know this is going to be a hard concept to grasp for some, but stuff on the other piece of plastic can be great. Be it games or cool features. You wont loose your sony/Xbox membership card.
I always love it when people try to jump into a middle of a conversation without investing any time into it.

Not everything is a "console" war and people really need to let a discussion happen without throwing out labels or viewing it through their own 'console war' lenses. I have both systems and I know how it works and if I used it, I'd say as much and did say as much, lol. I do switch between the two very frequently. The OP was asking people's opinion on whether or not PS5 should also adopt it, so naturally people are going to discuss that. Is that really that surprising to you? Will you be able to grasp this concept? 😉 :D

In a thread discussing the feature, people shouldn't discuss it? I shared my opinion and clarified it to those who asked me about it. Is that hard for you to understand?

And trying to address a misrepresentation of a feature considered "trying too hard"?

Last edited:

Banned

I have both consoles and find both unique features you mentioned meh at best 🤷‍♂️

I never use Quick Resume because many games have exhibited bugs and crashes when using it (I lost 2h of progress in Immortals) and I don't trust it because of that.
and the haptics on the Dualsense are only really great in 2 games I've played. for the rest they were either annoying or barely worth mentioning

sainraja

Doesn't make any sense, but on the other hand i guess i have some weird quirks too.
So it's just what I am use to doing. Last gen, before their release, when I heard of the quick resume options both the PS4/Xbox One were going to have I was excited but when the systems actually came out I never really used them (outside of specific use cases I've already mentioned). This time around we've got an upgraded version from Microsoft and the same thing on the PS5 as last gen. I still don't find myself taking advantage of them — on either system.

Last edited:
I always love it when people try to jump into a middle of a conversation without investing any time into it.
This is a message board, people read threads and join the conversation. Not everyone is here 24/7. What amount of investment do you deem appropriate for someone to join the conversation?
Not everything is a "console" war and people really need to let a discussion happen without throwing out labels or viewing it through their own 'console war' lenses. I have both systems and I know how it works and if I used it, I'd say as much and did say as much, lol. I do switch between the two very frequently. The OP was asking people's opinion on whether or not PS5 should also adopt it, so naturally people are going to discuss that. Is that really that surprising to you? Will you be able to grasp this concept? 😉 :D
Grasping the concept, please, you're better then this. Yes, OP was asking peoples opinion, but you get a lot of what I meant. People having no idea what "Quick Resume" actually does and how it works, but dissing it just because it's the opposite box.
In a thread discussing the feature, people shouldn't discuss it? I shared my opinion and clarified it to those who asked me about it. Is that hard for you to understand?

And trying to address a misrepresentation of a feature considered "trying too hard"?
Please point out where I said there should be no discussion.

I have both consoles and find both unique features you mentioned meh at best 🤷‍♂️

I never use Quick Resume because many games have exhibited bugs and crashes when using it (I lost 2h of progress in Immortals) and I don't trust it because of that.
and the haptics on the Dualsense are only really great in 2 games I've played. for the rest they were either annoying or barely worth mentioning
This is a perfectly valid opinion.
Quick Resume definitely has some games where it doesn't work pefectly, but I assume it will get better.

Kappa

Quick resume is game changing and an amazing feature. Buttttttt the new wave of making AAA games gaas titles always gives you a disconnected error. Really annoying after awhile.

Works great for bc titles tho

Last edited:

sainraja

This is a message board, people read threads and join the conversation. Not everyone is here 24/7. What amount of investment do you deem appropriate for someone to join the conversation?
You quoted me. When I am responding to someone, I try to read and understand what they were discussing; and same goes for if someone is responding to what I have been saying, the least I expect is that they have read what I said.
Grasping the concept, please, you're better then this. Yes, OP was asking peoples opinion, but you get a lot of what I meant. People having no idea what "Quick Resume" actually does and how it works, but dissing it just because it's the opposite box.
Again, you chose to quote me. I was addressing points that were raised. You decided to brush it all under the guise of console war when that wasn't the case. If you go back to my original post, you'll see what I said. On Series X, I have the option but haven't really found myself using it since I am usually focusing on a single game and close it out when done. This is not downplaying "quick resume" on the Xbox. It's me saying I haven't really had to use it that much so if it's not on the PS5 it's not a huge deal for me.

Please point out where I said there should be no discussion.
Dismissing everything being said by calling it a "console" war is pretty much a way of doing that.

Last edited:

Concern

OK, so if you were to quit out of a game, will you pick off right where you exited? I exit out of Forza Horizon 5 and when I go back to it, it starts from the beginning including the boot sequence of the game then loads into my save.
I'd have to leave the game running in order for it to work how you are describing it in the bolded part.
The Xbox OS does not let you continue from exactly where you left it if you close/quit the game. You're being a bit misleading here. If it worked how you are describing it, then yes, you'd have to try not to use it but that's not how it works. I have exited out of many games and haven't started where I left it when I got back to it lol.

Most disingenuous post of the thread lmao. Or he's playing on an Xbox one 🤣🤣🤣.

Its embarrassing how far warriors will go to put their plastic box over the other. This is blatant "fud" as they like to call it. Should be bannable like the 9 tf comments.

Last edited:

sainraja

Most disingenuous post of the thread lmao. Or he's playing on an Xbox one 🤣🤣🤣.

Its embarrassing how far warriors will go to put their plastic box over the other. This is blatant "fud" as they like to call it. Should be bannable like the 9 tf comments.
^^ says the the guy who just made one.

If you're going to try to paint my post like that, you should care to point out what's wrong with it. Or perhaps you should actually try it on your Xbox Series X before trying to say I am being disingenuous. I have no problem admitting when I am wrong or didn't know something but what I am addressing there is accurate. If you start a game and quit out of it, you will go through the game launch process. I can show this but you are deliberately trying to cause confusion here.

If I were to launch a game, switch to another game and shut my system off, then I can return to any one game I was playing. If I quit out of those games before shutting the system down, then I can't return to the exact point I was playing. Can you not see the difference I am trying to point out?

You could just go back to the start of the conversation and see I've been saying this.

Last edited:

Concern

^^ says the the guy who just made one.

If you're going to try to paint my post like that, you should care to point out what's wrong with it. Or perhaps you should actually try it on your Xbox Series X before trying to say I am being disingenuous. I have no problem admitting when I am wrong or didn't know something but what I am addressing there is accurate. If you are start a game and quit out of it, you will go through the game launch process. I can show this but you deliberately are trying to cause confusion here.

If I were to launch a game, switch to another game and shut my system off, then I can return to any one game I was playing. If I quit out of those games before shutting the system down, then I can't return to the exact point I was playing.

There's nothing to point out. Its a disingenuous post, thats it. All my games so far launch right where left off. Only way they wont, is if I close the app.

Take the baiting elsewhere. Its obvious you're here to stir shit up.

If you are start a game and quit out of it, you will go through the game launch process. I can show this but you deliberately are trying to cause confusion here.
He's saying your post is disingenuous because it is, the person you were replying to said "exit", they didn't say "close/quit"; exiting a game doesn't mean closing it, since exit just means "to leave", so yes if you exit a game with quick resume on xbox, you can resume it later. If you open the guide menu and choose "quit game", then no obviously you can't resume it.

You are literally talking about a different action from the person you are replying to, which makes your post bad faith and disingenuous.

Last edited:

sainraja

There's nothing to point out. Its a disingenuous post, thats it. All my games so far launch right where left off. Only way they wont, is if I close the app.

Take the baiting elsewhere. Its obvious you're here to stir shit up.
Yeah, that's what I said. You jumped into a conversation without any context and tried to present my post as otherwise. Read what I was responding to first.

assurdum

Banned
It's not a matter of addicted, personally it's a matter of what kinda of experience do you want to have at the time.

What are the cpu and ram costs
Suspended games occupy part of ram and CPU with the OS. OS needs of more RAM and CPU for that feature.

Last edited:

sainraja

He's saying your post is disingenuous because it is, the person you were replying to said "exit", they didn't say "close/quit"; exiting a game doesn't mean closing it, since exit just means "to leave", so yes if you exit a game with quick resume on xbox, you can resume it later. If you open te menu and choose "quit game", then no obviously you can't resume it.

You are literally talking about a different action from the person you are replying to, which makes your post bad faith and disingenuous.
I said close and quit to specify my own meaning of the action I was taking to illustrate the difference between what he was pointing out and what needs to be done in order to use it the way he was saying it. I was pointing out the fact that I actually close out the games and therefore don't use the feature that much and he responded by saying it's "baked" into the system and the only way I (or anyone else) wouldn't use it is if I never launched the same game ever again which isn't true. Please read that over again. So no, not being disingenuous. Trying to be very clear in what I was saying so there is no confusion but ofcourse then we have you all coming into the middle of the conversation without the original point of the discussion in the first place.

Last edited:

Concern

Yeah, that's what I said. You jumped into a conversation without any context and tried to present my post as otherwise. Read what I was responding to first.

You called his post out when he didn't mention closing the app. Even shutting the console down, it will resume right where you left off. Actually clicking "close app" will do exactly that. So why would you expect to pick where you left off if you closed the app.

The transparency in your posts are obvious.

sainraja

You called his post out when he didn't mention closing the app. Even shutting the console down, it will resume right where you left off. Actually clicking "close app" will do exactly that. So why would you expect to pick where you left off if you closed the app.

The transparency in your posts are obvious.
I think you should read where the conversation started. What you think isn't what's happening here. But hey if that's what makes you feel better. That's fine by me.

He was saying it's baked into the system's OS so the only way one cannot use it is if they never were to launch the game again. I mean, how else is that to be interpreted?

Last edited:
I said close and quit to specify my own meaning of the action I was taking to illustrate the difference between what he was pointing out and what needs to be done in order to use it the way he was saying it.
You have this insane habit of always making it seem like people "don't understand" what your posting, but everybody does.
His response was that the feature is always on, which is correct, if you exit a game that uses quick resume, the game will always load back from the point you exited, this is a fact.
You responding with "well I don't I choose to manually quit the game", doesn't matter at all, cause it doesn't change the fact that the feature is in fact always on.

Again, bad faith arguing.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Suspended games in QR don't use any RAM/CPU. They will obviously use CPU and RAM as the main xbox OS starts up the game.
From what I remember the same MS said OS required more RAM and CPU resources compared to haven't such features.

Last edited:

sainraja

You have this insane habit of always making it seem like people "don't understand" what your posting, but everybody does.
His response was that the feature is always on, which is correct, if you exit a game that uses quick resume, the game will always load back from the point you exited, this is a fact.
You responding with "well I don't I choose to manually quit the game", doesn't matter at all, cause it doesn't change the fact that the feature is in fact always on.

Again, bad faith arguing.
Not really but if that's how you see it. That's completely OK and I'd rather just avoid going in circles. You should re-read what he said. He was the one who stated the only way NOT to use the feature was to never launch the game again. If you interpret that differently somehow, sure, sure. I rest my case then.

But basically it comes down to people's habits and how they use their systems and the value a set of features can provide. Given how I use it, hopefully you can at-least see why I don't and why others do (well this much is clear and I also understand this btw.)

EDIT

Re-quoting since people can be lazy 🤷‍♂️
I guess that means they'll only play a game once and never load it again to avoid "using" that feature? It's like saying "SSDs are nice and all but I'll never use the fast loading feature".

EDIT

Going back and re-reading through everything I really don't understand the argument you all thought I was making. Genuinely confused here. ManaByte was responding to me btw after I basically said to him that people are allowed to share their opinion of how they use "Quick Resume" on the Xbox — good or bad. His response was basically you have to use it and he made a silly comparison to an SDD being in the systems — the SDD comparison confirmed it in my mind that ManaByte thinks quick resume will even launch games back to where they were even after you close out the games. So to clarify or establish consensus I mention what I mean when I say "close out" and then we've got other people jumping in with their own two cents.

Simple version of the conversation so far.

Person A: People are not complaining. They are just sharing their experience of the feature.
Person B: It is baked-in. Only way not to use it is never to launch a game.
Person A: {Ok let me give an example of when that's not the case to make sure we're talking about the same thing} You can quit a game and quick resume is not being used in that scenario.
Person B: Has left the room.
Person C, D, E, F, G: You are being disingenuous!
Person A: No. I am just pointing out the difference in what was being said.
Person C, D, E, F, G: No no no. Fanboy, blah blah.

UGH.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
No because the PS5 doesn't even have a CPU or any RAM.

Its just a hollow box with a hamster wheel inside.
5v0hiq.jpg

Corndog

Banned
It's kind of funny how some people still don't understand how Quick Resume works and why PS5 doesn't need it.

It isn't that people are against Quick Resume because PS5 doesn't have but because it isn't needed on PS5.

Quick Resume saves contents of the game in RAM to the SSD in the form of a save state. Then when you switch back into the game, the contents is loading back into RAM again. Which is why it still takes 2-3 seconds.

@Tal Shiar Agent posted the right reason why the PS5 doesn't need Quick Resume. That should have ended this thread.

Why would the PS5 need Quick Resume (that uses SSD space), when it can boot a game this fast?

All PlayStation needs to do is add Cards in the Switcher.

So to answer the OP's question.
No, the PS5 doesn't need Quick Resume.
So if you play another game and then go back to ghost does it load that quick? I don’t have a ps5 some I am not familiar with exactly how activity cards work. Thanks.

Corndog

Banned

The main part some of you are not getting is the fact that some people close their games. For example, I was sharing my opinion on how I use it on the Xbox. MrFunSocks couldn't comprehend that lol. I do close out of games before I shut the system off. That's just what I do with my systems. The point or discussion has been around if people feel strong enough about it to want it on the PS5 and some were sharing if the PS5 had it, it'd be great but it's not needed given how some of us are not really using it on a system it is available on. Everyone's different and some of you just don't get that.

Have you not been reading any of my responses? I know the differences and I even highlighted those for you sine you couldn't "understand" the relevance of how many games a person is playing. I play and focus on a single game most of the time so when I am done with it, I close it off. That seems to be a problem for you lol.

I actually haven't been "arguing this so hard" outside of just clarifying my own usage of the feature which you were questioning. Do you not understand how a conversation flows? I shared my opinion and it would have ended there but you couldn't 'deal' with how I used it and therefore how it informed my own opinion and usage of it. I guess I am sorry that I responded to you? lol

I haven't been defending Sony here. I think you are so invested into your Xbox ecosystem that you can't understand how others might feel differently and not surprised that you are now "bowing" out of the conversation. I said in the first post I made here that if the PS5 had it, it would be great but I still wouldn't "use" it so the value or the benefit of it just doesn't apply for me. I've had the Xbox for 8 months now and I just haven't utilized it that much.

I don't even use the "quick resume" feature of the PS5 in stand-by. So for me, these are nice to haves.

Have a nice day!
Easy solution. Don’t quit the game. Do you have the same problem with your fridge? If you unplug it after use everything gets warm but if you just close the door it stays cold.

sainraja

Easy solution. Don’t quit the game. Do you have the same problem with your fridge? If you unplug it after use everything gets warm but if you just close the door it stays cold.
It's just a habit now. I also tend to focus on a single game or title at a given time and only switch to another multiplayer game when I do. I always close (quit) games. Some people have come in to paint the conversation completely differently but I never said that quick resume is a bad feature or anything. Just see my first post.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Not trying to downplay it but I do think Xbox players oversell it or play it up a little too much since it's an 'exclusive' Xbox feature.
Nope it's fantastic. I play several games at once and being able to drop out and continue exactly where I left off at all times is huge.

If you are someone who only plays one game at once though, it's not going to really benefit you much.

sainraja

Nope it's fantastic. I play several games at once and being able to drop out and continue exactly where I left off at all times is huge.

If you are someone who only plays one game at once though, it's not going to really benefit you much.
Mostly and that's been my point when it comes to my own gaming habits. I also said that I don't even find myself doing it with one game which I am able to do on both systems but it's been hard for people to understand that.

Last edited:

skit_data

I can imagine it being very benificial if you/your SO/kids are all sharing the same console but I’d be too paranoid about losing progress to use it regularly.

I have a habit of manually closing down software I’m not currently using so I’d probably rarely use it because of that habit.

Last edited:

Vestal

Gold Member
I don’t understand why you’d need 60-80GB of extra space when memory is limited to 16GB not including whatever the OS takes up at any moment in time.
You need to basically copy the entire state of the game from memory to a non volatile storage medium. In Microsoft case because of how they designed the OS they do this by basically suspending the “VM” the game runs on.
In Sonys case I don’t know if they containerize their apps/games in the OS. If they don’t, implementing this sort of feature would be a harder since their OS was not designed around this concept.

assurdum

Banned
You need to basically copy the entire state of the game from memory to a non volatile storage medium. In Microsoft case because of how they designed the OS they do this by basically suspending the “VM” the game runs on.
In Sonys case I don’t know if they containerize their apps/games in the OS. If they don’t, implementing this sort of feature would be a harder since their OS was not designed around this concept.
Thanks for the explanation. People think such feature is easy and free cost because MS did it, but it's not at all. A pity I can't refind a link about the OS costs. Don't know why it's so complicated to search but I remember to have read it time ago.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Mostly and that's been my point when it comes to my own gaming habits. I also said that I don't even find myself doing it with one game which I am able to do on both systems but it's been hard for people to understand that.

Even if you play one game at the time, its extremely useful. In example, if your console is being used by multiple persons.
Also, you can play one game at the time, but still have multiple short session games ready to be played in the meantime.

JLB

Banned
pretty much this.

People arguing over quick resume, but I could have sworn I woke up to turn on my ps5 on earlier today, with the game started where i left off in Rachet and Clank...... Its a feature that definetly being overhyped. Games load in seconds on the ps5, you dont need it unless you have something like ADHD. The new Dualsense is much more worth arguing over, its literally a game changer and impossible to play games without feeling like its missing something without.

sainraja

Even if you play one game at the time, its extremely useful. In example, if your console is being used by multiple persons.
Also, you can play one game at the time, but still have multiple short session games ready to be played in the meantime.
Oh I know. I am not questioning people that do find it useful. I was just sharing how based on my own usage of the system, the feature isn't something I necessarily look for or miss when playing on the PS5. If the PS5 were to get it, it would still be a nice to have for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLB
Top Bottom