• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could the Ps5 do quick resume if Sony desired it to?

MrFunSocks

Banned
Personally.....it'd be great if it had an option like quick resume but it's not really needed. I don't find myself using it on Xbox that much.

The only one time I kind of found it useful was when I had put the system on standby (left FH5 running — kinda forgot that it was running). I came back to play some Destiny 2 and switched over to FH5 after quitting Destiny 2 and it was where I left off but majority of the times when I walk away from my systems I quit out of a game; I don't leave anything running. So for me, quick resume is just a nice to have and isn't really needed. I am fine with focusing on one game to play and only leave it running in certain situations (which both consoles allow me to do.)

Not trying to downplay it but I do think Xbox players oversell it or play it up a little too much since it's an 'exclusive' Xbox feature.
Why would you quit out of the games? Do you force close every app on your phone as soon as you exit it?

sainraja

Why would you quit out of the games? Do you force close every app on your phone as soon as you exit it?
I mostly focus on one game at a time and if I am switching between games it's usually between a single-player game and a multiplayer one (that is Destiny 2 mostly). I don't need quick resume for Destiny 2 (there is no point or benefit since it's an online only game.) I also just like to close off anything running in the background.

As for my phone, I carry that with me all the time and access it a lot more than any of my consoles. I do close all apps every once in a while though.

Last edited:
I don’t like quick resume on many games that require online as they need to restart half the time to reestablish server connection anyway. Its cool when it works but hardly a top tier feature.
I also do a hard console re set about one a week to ensure the dash is snappy.

Last edited:

Hoddi

You are talking about a hypervisor, all consoles use a hypervisor to segregate games and apps from the main system. It's a layer of security. PS4 for instance has 2 operating systems running simultaneously, one runs in the Southbridge and pretty much controls access to the GPU and other systems devices, and is also in charge of low power mode operations when the system is in standby mode.
I'm kinda curious about that because I thought PS4/PS5 didn't run under a hypervisor. That would obviously change things a lot but I'm not really finding anything about this on Google.

One of the main reasons that Xbox systems are so hard to crack is because they have multiple OSes running under Hyper-V. I was under the impression that PS4 and now PS5 had both been fully cracked.

Maybe but while it's nice to have I don't feel that it's essential. Out of unique features I prefer what the Dualsense brings but games are definitely not ruined without it. However like quick resume it's a nice feature to have.

Now if you replace an SSD with a HDD that's something I really can't deal with. It's really hard to go back to gaming with really long loading screens. Sure games function on a HDD but it's a much better experience with an SSD.

I apologize if I offended anyone with what I've said. It's just my personal opinion and it's fine to disagree with it.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
Quick Resume has reserved space, accounted in the OS space. The data has to be stored somewhere... The console has 16 GB of ram, so whenever you put a game in Quick Resume, all of its RAM has to be dumped on the SSD. Let's suppose that some RAM is reserved for the OS, you are still probably dumping at least 12 GB. If Quick Resume allows for five games at once, then that's 12 x 5 GB that are reserved for the feature = 60 GB. Accounted for in the 200 GB used by the OS, obviously.
You wouldn’t have to dump all ram, only what’s used. Also it could be compressed when stored to ssd.

Hoddi

You wouldn’t have to dump all ram, only what’s used. Also it could be compressed when stored to ssd.
People make it sound so easy when it's way more complex than that. Dumping RAM is easy but what happens when you need to reload it?

There's a reason that we don't see Quick Resume on Windows, MacOS, or Linux. And it's because it's more complex than just 'dumping RAM to disk'.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I think they'd be able to do something similar. But if it something based on the way Xbox was built...how it stores games in it's memory and the architecture within the system then I might actually sound like I know what the fuck I'm talking about.

Tripolygon

Banned
I'm kinda curious about that because I thought PS4/PS5 didn't run under a hypervisor. That would obviously change things a lot but I'm not really finding anything about this on Google.

One of the main reasons that Xbox systems are so hard to crack is because they have multiple OSes running under Hyper-V. I was under the impression that PS4 and now PS5 had both been fully cracked.
It's not something the general public really care about so Google search won't return a lot of hits but psdevwiki is a good source of information for everything playstation development related

Last edited:

3liteDragon

Multiple different posts here talking about QR has me confused already as to how this feature exactly works on the Series consoles, but I don't see myself putting 3-5 games in a suspended state. For me, I always play one game for a few hours for the day, close it, put the console on rest mode & do the same thing the next day. And if it's true that the console reserves 100GB of storage space before you even put any game in QR, I wanna have the option to be able to turn the feature off cause I don't need it & don't wanna waste any storage space on it.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I mostly focus on one game at a time and if I am switching between games it's usually between a single-player game and a multiplayer one (that is Destiny 2 mostly). I don't need quick resume for Destiny 2 (there is no point or benefit since it's an online only game.) I also just like to close off anything running in the background.

As for my phone, I carry that with me all the time and access it a lot more than any of my consoles. I do close all apps every once in a while though.
But again, playing 1 or 5 games is irrelevant. I can not play a game for a month and then pick it up instantly where I left it. It absolutely would help for destiny as it skips all of the initial loading etc. doesn’t matter that it’s an online game, it still loads quicker than starting from scratch.

There is literally no need to force quit your games. That’s ridiculous.

sainraja

But again, playing 1 or 5 games is irrelevant. I can not play a game for a month and then pick it up instantly where I left it. It absolutely would help for destiny as it skips all of the initial loading etc. doesn’t matter that it’s an online game, it still loads quicker than starting from scratch.

There is literally no need to force quit your games. That’s ridiculous.
That's good for you but I always close out my games. If I want to leave a game in suspended state, it is only when I am in a middle of a session and need to go out to do something or go pick up my wife. Those are specific scenarios where I leave a game suspended and put the system in rest mode and come back to continue from where I left off (already stated this in my initial post btw). When I know I am done for the day, I will always close out any running games. That's just my preference. I don't need to put 3-4 games in suspended state since I am never really switching between that many games which is why quick resume the way it is implemented on Xbox isn't for me or more accurately, it is something that I don't find myself utilizing that much.

And it's funny you say the number of games is irrelevant when that's exactly the difference between the two systems and this topic is discussing the implementation of it on the XSX, asking if Sony could do it with the PS5.
I guess you might not know but you can suspend games on a PS5 and return to it later but it is limited to 1 game; so if the "number of games" was irrelevant, then Sony does not necessarily need to do anything. It is already there. To be absolutely clear, I only say this to point out why the number of games was relevant in my original responses.

Last edited:

sainraja

I don’t get this. Is like people don’t understand what they’re complaining about. It’s not a feature you have to turn on. It’s just a built in feature of the OS that’s automatic if a game supports it.
Can you turn off your Xbox defense mode for once lol, no one is complaining about the feature, people are just sharing their opinion on it; if he's not using it, he is allowed to say that and same goes for anyone else and their opinion based on their own usage. The topic of this thread is if Sony should implement quick resume similarly to Xbox and people are sharing their opinion on usage with the Xbox.

The system can have it on automatically but just because a feature is there doesn't mean it's going to be used the same way by everyone or at all. He nor anyone else here has said it should go away.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
That's good for you but I always close out my games. If I want to leave a game in suspended state, it is only when I am in a middle of a session and need to go out to do something or go pick up my wife. Those are specific scenarios where I leave a game suspended and put the system in rest mode and come back to continue from where I left off (already stated this in my initial post btw). When I know I am done for the day, I will always close out any running games. That's just my preference. I don't need to put 3-4 games in suspended state since I am never really switching between that many games which is why quick resume the way it is implemented on Xbox isn't for me or more accurately, it is something that I don't find myself utilizing that much.

And it's funny you say the number of games is irrelevant when that's exactly the difference between the two systems and this topic is discussing the implementation of it on the XSX, asking if Sony could do it with the PS5.
I guess you might not know but you can suspend games on a PS5 and return to it later but it is limited to 1 game; so if the "number of games" was irrelevant, then Sony does not necessarily need to do anything. It is already there. To be absolutely clear, I only say this to point out why the number of games was relevant in my original responses.
But again - there is literally no reason to force close games. None at all. You don’t lose any space, you don’t lose any performance, you don’t use more electricity. It makes no sense.

Loxus

This thread is basically people who've never used Quick Resume arguing with people who have. It's objectively a great feature which would benefit PS5 users to have, even if you are randomly against it because your PS5 loads fast (spoiler alert, so does the Series X even without Quick Resume, yet Quick Resume is still awesome on Xbox). But then again I don't know why I'm surprised that people here are blindly against something that their plastic box doesn't have.
It's kind of funny how some people still don't understand how Quick Resume works and why PS5 doesn't need it.

It isn't that people are against Quick Resume because PS5 doesn't have but because it isn't needed on PS5.

Quick Resume saves contents of the game in RAM to the SSD in the form of a save state. Then when you switch back into the game, the contents is loading back into RAM again. Which is why it still takes 2-3 seconds.

Tal Shiar Agent Tal Shiar Agent posted the right reason why the PS5 doesn't need Quick Resume. That should have ended this thread.
Why does it need it?

Why would the PS5 need Quick Resume (that uses SSD space), when it can boot a game this fast?

All PlayStation needs to do is add Cards in the Switcher.

So to answer the OP's question.
No, the PS5 doesn't need Quick Resume.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I didn't say I was doing it for a technical reason. It's just my preference — I also turn off my systems completely.
That’s like saying your preference is to always close your current game then open goat simulator and then turn the console off from there - it makes no sense.

That’s the great thing about quick resume, you can unplug your console from the wall and the games still resume instantly.

sainraja

That’s like saying your preference is to always close your current game then open goat simulator and then turn the console off from there - it makes no sense.

That’s the great thing about quick resume, you can unplug your console from the wall and the games still resume instantly.
Doesn't make sense to you but that's basically what I do. I didn't know on Xbox you could also have it work from a cold boot but I might still do the same. I like to close out everything.

Last edited:

Loxus

What's the max number anyway?
Well this is what the Xbox support page says.

Get back to your game instantly with Quick Resume
How many games can be suspended at once?
The Quick Resume feature allows the Series X|S consoles to store three save states for full-memory Xbox Series X|S titles. Xbox One, Xbox 360, and original Xbox console titles use less memory, so the consoles can store more than three when these titles are saved.

So 3 full memory Series X/S games. Which means 40-42 GB of reserved SSD space for Quick Resume games.

Thought it was 100 GB reserved.

MrFunSocks

Banned
How have these consoles been out for 12 months and people still can’t understand the difference between quick resume and the crappy card system on the PS5?

Being able to pick up literally at the exact millisecond in a game you stopped playing a week ago after having played another few games in the mean time is NOT the same as being able to load in to a specific set point in a game from a card. How does being able to jump directly to point C help me when I was at point F in the middle of a boss fight?

It’s like saying that being able to jump to 30 mins or 60 mins in a 90 min movie is the same as picking it back up at the exact second that you stopped watching last time.

Loxus

I didn't say I was doing it for a technical reason. It's just my preference — I also turn off my systems completely.
Same, but I go a step further.
Some of my family, friends and I never leave our console plugged in because of power surges and outages. Especially around hurricane season.

Even with a power protector, it can sometimes not stop the console from getting damaged.

sainraja

How have these consoles been out for 12 months and people still can’t understand the difference between quick resume and the crappy card system on the PS5?

Being able to pick up literally at the exact millisecond in a game you stopped playing a week ago after having played another few games in the mean time is NOT the same as being able to load in to a specific set point in a game from a card. How does being able to jump directly to point C help me when I was at point F in the middle of a boss fight?

It’s like saying that being able to jump to 30 mins or 60 mins in a 90 min movie is the same as picking it back up at the exact second that you stopped watching last time.
You are confusing things now.

PS5 has an activity card system which is not PS5's version of 'quick resume'. PS5's implementation is similar to how it was done in the previous gen — you start a game, then put your system in stand-by and come back to the game later BUT you can only suspend one game — so you could be at a boss fight in DMC5 and return back to it; you just can't leave DMC5 & Sekiro running and expect to jump back into both games — it will be the last game you had running. Xbox's was the same way until the Series X where you can do it with multiple games and as you clarified even from a cold boot. Don't make the mistake of thinking people are saying the activity card system is PS5's resume from stand-by option which it's not.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
You are confusing things now.

PS5 has an activity card system which is not PS5's version of 'quick resume'. PS5's implementation is similar to how it was done in the previous gen — you start a game and put your system in stand-by and come back to it later and you can only suspend one game — so you could be at a boss fight in DMC5 and return back to it. Xbox's was the same way until the Series X where you can do it with multiple games and as you clarified even from a cold boot. Don't make the mistake of thinking people are saying the activity card system is PS5's resume from stand-by option which it's not.
That’s completely wrong. People in this very thread are saying “PS5 doesn’t need quick resume cause it has cards” or that the card system is the same. They’re not. Having 1 game be suspended is not the same as having 5 games suspended.

sainraja

That’s completely wrong. People in this very thread are saying “PS5 doesn’t need quick resume cause it has cards” or that the card system is the same. They’re not. Having 1 game be suspended is not the same as having 5 games suspended.
I understand that but you are taking it completely differently. PS5 has an activity card system AND it allows you to leave one game in "quick resume" while on stand-by.

Even Xbox describes the new quick resume option on Series X as an enhancement or improvement to what was there last generation. Microsoft made improvements to it by allowing people to put up to 3 Series X games on suspend and return to any one of them (more if b/c games) and making sure it works from a cold boot. Those are improvements to a system we had in the previous gen on both the PS4/XONE — but only Microsoft tried to upgrade it.

So in conclusion, PS5 does allow you to suspend ONE game at a boss fight and return exactly to that point.

EDIT
They’re not. Having 1 game be suspended is not the same as having 5 games suspended.

Lol. Yes, that's quite obvious and is the key distinction between how the PS5 does it and how the XSX does it. The main thing I am trying to point out to you (regardless of what was already said and how you seem to be understanding it) is that the PS5's activity card system isn't the quick resume option. On the PS5, you can have one game running and set the system into 'rest mode' and come back to that game exactly where you left it and if that is at a boss fight, then that is where you will start back from or you can use the activity cards to go to a specific checkpoint — these are two different options we have. For the rest mode/quick resume option, on the PS5, you just can't start 2 or 3 games and expect to go back to all of them — only the last running game. I cannot make this any clearer.

Last edited:

Loxus

Why are you so defensive?
You get back into gameplay regardless of method in seconds.

PS5 Card system is much better no matter how you look at it because it's not limited by the amount of games.

Only thing PlayStation needs to do is add Cards in the Switcher.

sainraja

Why are you so defensive?
You get back into gameplay regardless of method in seconds.

PS5 Card system is much better no matter how you look at it because it's not limited by the amount of games.

Only thing PlayStation needs to do is add Cards in the Switcher.
He's thinking PS5's version of quick resume is the activity card system which isn't true and I think we should be careful not to present it like that (but yes, it is a way for people to jump into a game quickly or jump between levels etc but it doesn't replace the rest mode option we have). Sony could definitely improve it and have it function that way — allow people to save the game's state as an activity card but we can't currently do that. We can quickly jump into a checkpoint via an activity card — I think it is dependent on how the developer sets it up — or leave a game running and put the system in rest mode.

EDIT
lol I don't know how I missed that this thread was already 5 pages long.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I understand that but you are taking it completely differently. PS5 has an activity card system AND it allows you to leave one game in "quick resume" while on stand-by.

Even Xbox describes the new quick resume option on Series X as an enhancement or improvement to what was there last generation. Microsoft made improvements to it by allowing people to put up to 3 Series X games on suspend and return to any one of them (more if b/c games) and making sure it works from a cold boot. Those are improvements to a system we had in the previous gen on both the PS4/XONE — but only Microsoft tried to upgrade it.

So in conclusion, PS5 does allow you to suspend ONE game at a boss fight and return exactly to that point.

EDIT

Lol. Yes, that's quite obvious and is the key distinction between how the PS5 does it and how the XSX does it. The main thing I am trying to point out to you (regardless of what was already said and how you seem to be understanding it) is that the PS5's activity card system isn't the quick resume option. On the PS5, you can have one game running and set the system into 'rest mode' and come back to that game exactly where you left it and if that is at a boss fight, then that is where you will start back from or you can use the activity cards to go to a specific checkpoint — these are two different options we have. For the rest mode/quick resume option, on the PS5, you just can't start 2 or 3 games and expect to go back to all of them — only the last running game. I cannot make this any clearer.
Again - Sony’s “suspend” and Microsoft’s quick resume are completely different. Suspend doesn’t dump the game state to the hdd. Suspend is not the same as quick resume event with just a single game. Also, try and unplug your PS5 from the power point and see how it’s “quick resume” works when you turn it back on lol.

Really not sure why you’re arguing this so hard lol. It’s a great next gen feature that Microsoft have that Sony don’t have an answer for at the moment. Accept it and move on. You clearly don’t understand that they are fundamentally different. It’s not just Sony does 1 and MS does 3 lol.

It’s crystal clear that you just have to defend Sony here and talk down a legit great and useful feature because your console of choice doesn’t have it. Last reply of yours I’ll see, enjoy your “quick resume”.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I hope they do as I predict I will end up with all 3 consoles eventually. I find wading through all the publisher screens insufferable when I just want to casually jump on and play for 5 mins.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Again - Sony’s “suspend” and Microsoft’s quick resume are completely different. Suspend doesn’t dump the game state to the hdd. Suspend is not the same as quick resume event with just a single game. Also, try and unplug your PS5 from the power point and see how it’s “quick resume” works when you turn it back on lol.

Really not sure why you’re arguing this so hard lol. It’s a great next gen feature that Microsoft have that Sony don’t have an answer for at the moment. Accept it and move on. You clearly don’t understand that they are fundamentally different. It’s not just Sony does 1 and MS does 3 lol.

It’s crystal clear that you just have to defend Sony here and talk down a legit great and useful feature because your console of choice doesn’t have it. Last reply of yours I’ll see, enjoy your “quick resume”.

I remember I posted an idea years ago about being able to install one game onto the DS's operating system so you could quickly switch to it without having to swap your carts. I used Animal Crossing as an example - since it's designed to be played for 5-10 mins a day, wouldn't it be nice to have it installed? Everyone piled on me and called me lazy for not wanting to swap carts.

These days, people get it, with the move to digital content. Now you don't get as much shit when you say swapping CD's is annoying.

It's the same with what you're saying. Until they experience it, they have no real concept of how great it is.

Sometimes I leave two PC games fully loaded so I can quick-toggle between them. Yeah it's a waste of resource but it's so fucking good. The MS way is the same but more efficient.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Can you turn off your Xbox defense mode for once lol, no one is complaining about the feature, people are just sharing their opinion on it; if he's not using it, he is allowed to say that and same goes for anyone else and their opinion based on their own usage. The topic of this thread is if Sony should implement quick resume similarly to Xbox and people are sharing their opinion on usage with the Xbox.

The system can have it on automatically but just because a feature is there doesn't mean it's going to be used the same way by everyone or at all. He nor anyone else here has said it should go away.

Again, I don't think people understand what they're fighting so hard against. It's not a feature you "use". It's just a baked-in feature of the OS. If a game supports Quick Resume, the next time you load that game it picks off right where you where when exited it. So if someone says it's a feature they won't "use", I guess that means they'll only play a game once and never load it again to avoid "using" that feature? It's like saying "SSDs are nice and all but I'll never use the fast loading feature".

assurdum

Banned
Could be a cool feature, but the price to pay in terms of RAM/CPU costs is not worth it imo. Especially when loading almost instantly, it's a waste for a close hardware. Better save hardware resources for the games.

Last edited:

reksveks

Imagine being so addicted that you can't wait 10-20 seconds to switch between games.

I can only speak personally but I don't have it on PC or PS5 and I don't need it.
It's not a matter of addicted, personally it's a matter of what kinda of experience do you want to have at the time.

Could be a cool feature, but the price to pay in terms of RAM/CPU costs is not worth it imo. Especially when loading almost instantly, it's a waste for a close hardware. Better save hardware resources for the games.
What are the cpu and ram costs

FrankWza

The topic of this thread
native american news GIF

Ev1L AuRoN

It's possible to do this easily on PS5, but I don't think Sony would do it. It's a nice feature, but one I didn't miss at all. PS5 games boot very quickly already and the SSD space comes at a premium, Microsoft reserve part of the disk for the feature, I rather have that space for games.

GriffinCorp

It's a great feature. I've been using it to switch from all three of the GTA games. No loading/startup screen, just straight into the game. It's really sweet, I know the PS5 loads fast but you would still have to see all startup screens when switching. This is superior in that regard.

It would be awesome. Not a necessity, but if I experienced it I don’t think I’d want to go back. I’d really like this on a Nintendo console. My wife would kill for this, she is always playing Animal Crossing and hates having to close it out for another game when she knows she will log in later on that day to check out her island.

Top Bottom