• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could the Ps5 do quick resume if Sony desired it to?

FrankWza

Yes, OP was asking peoples opinion, but you get a lot of what I meant. People having no idea what "Quick Resume" actually does and how it works, but dissing it just because it's the opposite box.
He didn’t. He asked a technical question.
There’s possibly a handful of people who post here that can answer this question and 100 who pretend that they can.
Everyone knows what quick resume is. It appears to me that some would take it as long as there were no sacrifices to make to have it, but I don’t see it on top of anyone’s wishlist. VRR on the other hand is something I have read a good amount of posters wish for. Regardless, nobody really knows if the PS5 can. At least not here on this forum. This thread was set up for the entire purpose of making a mountain out of a molehill and to get people warring. That’s why OP made it and then disappeared. He’s not even involved in the discussion.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
There is nothing special about Quick Resume vs ultra fast boot.

Quick Resume is basically a save state (allows players to save a restore point, which is like a quick save but has no restrictions on reloading), were the system stores the contents of random-access memory to disk.

Which is why the XBSX has that 100GB of storage memory that the GPU can instantly access. It uses the SSD as virtual memory.

PS5 having Quick Resume will also lower storage space.

It still takes 2-3 seconds to get back in gameplay, so I don't see why the PS5 needs Quick Resume.

Quick Resume is a way XBSX can keep up with PS5's game boot time.

Not entirely true.
Quick resume does provide a much faster way to get back into games
35secs for ps5 and 12secs for series is a big difference on hitman 3 here.

Or 11 for series and 24 for ps5 here

Flutta

Banned
jfc, it has nothing to do with ssd. Do a sanity 30 sec google search before doing a poor troll attempt. Its free like qr u know.
Read my post again without your fanboy goggles and you might activate your reading comprehension if you have any that is.
I never said QR had something to do with the SSD. I said THE SSD IS FAST ENOUGH! BASICALLY YOU DON'T HAVE TO WAIT FOREVER FOR THE GAME TO LOAD. Also, you need to take into account that the PS5 SSD runs more than twice the speed of the Xbox Series X SSD Raw mode and nearly twice as fast in compressed. See the latest Resident evil 8 and Elden Ring for reference, without even mentioning any exclusives. Then there are activity cards, etc. So again PS5 doesn't need QR, everything already loads fast as is. You lot are trying you're hardest to oversell it and it's showing. Calling my post a "troll attempt" is a weak man's argument.

FrankWza

Best feature in xsx. It's a real shame the ps5 doesn't have it. Hopefully Sony can figure it out. Great feature!

Yeah there are some people who turn off rumble and when I first discovered this I did find it a little odd but people do game differently than us! Who would have thought!

While I do love the haptics and the triggers I'm happy that Sony gives people the option to turn them off. Some out there have health issues that prevent them from gaming comfortably with those features on. While others simply don't like them.

With that said I like that many games are using those features. For example I really like how the triggers work in Death Stranding. It's nice to have feedback when you have a lot of weight instead of having to look at the menu.

ManaByte

Read my post again without your fanboy goggles and you might activate your reading comprehension if you have any that is.
I never said QR had something to do with the SSD. I said THE SSD IS FAST ENOUGH! BASICALLY YOU DON'T HAVE TO WAIT FOREVER FOR THE GAME TO LOAD. Also, you need to take into account that the PS5 SSD runs more than twice the speed of the Xbox Series X SSD Raw mode and nearly twice as fast in compressed. See the latest Resident evil 8 and Elden Ring for reference, without even mentioning any exclusives. Then there are activity cards, etc. So again PS5 doesn't need QR, everything already loads fast as is. You lot are trying you're hardest to oversell it and it's showing. Calling my post a "troll attempt" is a weak man's argument.

It's not about fast loading. It's about resuming the game at the exact moment you exited it and not at a specific loading checkpoint or start of a level.

SpokkX

Only if they are using virtualization or can afford to add it from a perf standpoint.

If they started w/o virtualization; it's unlikely they will add it though.

THIS

people misunderstand the benefits of quick resume… but also how it works technically!

it works on xbox because of virtualization tech called hyper-v (that ms uses in azure etc). Every game runs in its own virtual machine SEPARATE from the main xb os

sony does NOT use virtualization. The game and system run in the same non virtual os. Basically ps5 CANNOT DO QUICK RESUME

Btw Windows CANNOT DO quick resume EITHER (Windows games dont run in a vm). Dont you think pc would have done this YEARS ago if it was possible?

the closest analogue is quick saves in emulators.. it works becuase the snes, n64 etc hardware is virtual and you just save the virtual hardware state (cpu, gpu, memory allocated etx) to disc

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
It's not about fast loading. It's about resuming the game at the exact moment you exited it and not at a specific loading checkpoint or start of a level.
Yes i know that, PS5 has the switcher a lesser version of QR. It lets you resume one game and an app and that's enough imo. Again what im saying is that the PS5 makes up for it in a way with its much faster SSD. It takes basically no time to cold boot a game to menu and start playing. People have already forgotten about last gen it seems. Again i'm not knocking QR just saying it's not a must have feature, at least for PS5 owners.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Yes i know that, PS5 has the switcher a lesser version of QR. It lets you resume one game and an app and that's enough imo. Again what im saying is that the PS5 makes up for it in a way with its much faster SSD. It takes basically no time to cold boot a game to menu and start playing. People have already forgotten about last gen it seems. Again i'm not knocking QR just saying it's not a must have feature, at least for PS5 owners.

There’s nothing wrong wanting the feature on the PS5. Returnal would’ve been so much better at launch of the system had it.

SpokkX

So can i resume of ps5 directly into the middle of a race? Middle of a long cutscene? Middle of a boss fight? For several games? A random point in any game anywhere looking at the same exact spot?

No you cant - ps5 just loads a predetetmined checkpoint. It is not remotely the same

ethomaz

Banned
So can i resume of ps5 directly into the middle of a race? Middle of a long cutscene? Middle of a boss fight? For several games? A random point in any game anywhere looking at the same exact spot?

No you cant - ps5 just loads a predetetmined checkpoint. It is not remotely the same
Actually PS5 can do what you described for one game… just not for multiples.

So yes… you can resume directly from middle of a race, middle of a boss fight, a random point in any game anywhere at the exactly spot, etc.

PS5 doesn’t just load a predetermined checkpoint (that is what Activities do).

BTW Returnal can be suspended and resume to the exactly place you stopped to play already… this feature existed since PS5 launch but Returnal’s devs choose to disable it for their game (and enabled after users requested).

Last edited:

sainraja

And you need to understand that everyone is different. People saying they don't see the need in something or don't currently use it heavily is not something negative towards a feature you find so useful. Everyone's going to feel differently.

There’s nothing wrong wanting the feature on the PS5. Returnal would’ve been so much better at launch of the system had it.
I don't think anyone is saying they don't want it on the PS5. Most people have said it's OK that it doesn't have it given reasons A, B, C. Or they just game differently than you so don't necessarily see the need for it based on their gaming habits or due to other features the system may have. People are allowed that much lol. Come on.

And besides, if someone really wanted to return to 'Returnal' at the exact moment they "exited", they could "exit" and put the system in rest mode and return to the exact moment they "exited" it on the PS5.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Why would anyone want to exit out of a game in the middle of any of those situations? I mean, I get the point, but I never stop playing a game right in the middle of some activity (and no, that's not because I can't, because the PS5 can suspend one game just fine). So I guess for me it wouldn't really be that useful.

Why would anyone want to exit out of a game in the middle of any of those situations?
A friend invites you to play another game and you go ahead and accept the invite, but you already had it suspended so now you are instantly in that game; so you play till both of you are finished and then you go back and resume where you left off in the other game?

Happens more than you'd probably like to believe.

sainraja

You actually can do that with a PS5 with a single game. The only restrictions are: it has to be the last game running (you can't have multiple games running in background) and it won't do it from a cold boot.

A friend invites you to play another game and you go ahead and accept the invite, but you already had it suspended so now you are instantly in that game; so you play till both of you are finished and then you go back and resume where you left off in the other game?

Yeah, now that's a good use case for quick resume's implementation on the Series X. There are other use cases too. But no one was questioning the existence or possible value of quick resume as a feature which is why I don't understand why people are getting somewhat defensive. We understand situations where it can be helpful but for some of us, the absence of it hasn't been detrimental (what you all don't seem to get.)

But again, this comes down to how people are playing. For example, my friend plays on the PC pretty much exclusively so if I am gaming on a console, it's solo — so no invite scenario for me.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Why would anyone want to exit out of a game in the middle of any of those situations? I mean, I get the point, but I never stop playing a game right in the middle of some activity (and no, that's not because I can't, because the PS5 can suspend one game just fine). So I guess for me it wouldn't really be that useful.
That is a discussion I had in the past about the feature in PS4.
Seems like some people have time just to play 30 minutes or so and needs a way to get back where stopped… if not they can’t pass that part or something like.

I don’t use Resume… I really prefer to save and load the game again but I play some hours in one sit.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
You actually can do that with a PS5 with a single game. The only restrictions are: it has to be the last game running and it won't do it from a cold boot.
It doesn’t work with games in online mode either.
For example Destiny.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I would finish whatever I'm doing in the current game, and then join the other game. They can wait another minute.

But I'm also the type of person who BY FAR values a good SP experience over pretty much any MP stuff, so I would never want to quit out in the middle of a cutscene or boss fight anyway.

I'm not saying I can't see why this feature could be useful for some people in some situations. But for me it wouldn't really make a big difference.

Last edited:
I would finish whatever I'm doing in the current game, and then join the other game. They can wait another minute.

But I'm also the type of person who BY FAR values a good SP experience over pretty much any MP stuff, so I would never want to quit out in the middle of a cutscene or boss fight anyway.
Well, it doesn't matter what you would do or "value", you asked why anyone would exhibit this behavior and I gave you one answer out of many.
How you would or wouldn't not make use of it is irrelevant, the only fact that is important is that quick resume enables this kind of behavior, and people, other than yourself, do use it in it's intended purpose.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well, it doesn't matter what you would do or "value", you asked why anyone would exhibit this behavior and I gave you one answer out of many.
How you would or wouldn't not make use of it is irrelevant, the only fact that is important is that quick resume enables this kind of behavior, and people, other than yourself, do use it in it's intended purpose.

Sure, but I just don't see it REALLY making a big difference for anyone. Is it really such a big deal if you have up rewatch the full cutscene the next time you start the game? Personally I would WANT TO, to not feel lost in what's going on. Same with a boss fight or whatever.

So I guess I view this feature as a minor convenience that might save you a few seconds here and there but doesn't really matter that much vs reloading a save (as long as the loading is very fast, like it is in all proper PS5 games).

Last edited:

sainraja

Going back to the topic of the thread, could it be added to the PS5? Sure. Should the PS5 get it? why not? It provides us with flexibility. I don't think it is absolutely necessary based on my own experience with both systems.
I am fine without it (PS5) and I am also fine with it (XSX) — it is a quality of life feature no doubt and if the PS5 could give us that; I highly doubt anyone would say NO. If Sony were to say tomorrow, we'll be adding a feature that lets you suspend 2-4 games and continue your progress from exactly where you left it on all those games, they won't have people up in arms saying NO.

The only question that will come up as it is coming up now is usage which is going to vary. For me, I don't see it changing. I like going through the boot process and I also like to close/quit everything.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I don't know of any technical reason why it couldn't be added to PS5. To me, it is one of the best features I've used this gen along with fast loading and DualSense.

MrFunSocks

Banned
My Xbox has had Hades in Quick Resume for probably 2 weeks now, in the middle of a run like 25 minutes in, close to the end. I've been playing Halo and Forza for hours and hours since I last touched it. Right now I can turn on my xbox and jump back to the exact millisecond that I was at in Hades, even if I was mid strike in a boss battle. It can even do this after I've physically unplugged the console from the power point, taken it out for a nice steak dinner, then plugged it back in to the power outlet in a nuclear submarine without any internet.

You can't see how that is cool and useful as hell? No amount of fast loading or "card funcationality" on the PS5 can give me that experience. They're not even remotely the same. The PS5 can't even handle unplugging the power and then returning to where you were in the last game you were playing.

This all just seems like another "Why would I ever want to see my friends list while I'm in a game? Why would I ever want to be able to read and respond to messages or play music or start a party while I'm in a game?" garbage level excuses and coping that we had when the PS3 launched and was lagging behind the xbox 360 in OS features.

Last edited:
My Xbox has had Hades in Quick Resume for probably 2 weeks now, in the middle of a run like 25 minutes in, close to the end. I've been playing Halo and Forza for hours and hours since I last touched it. Right now I can turn on my xbox and jump back to the exact millisecond that I was at in Hades, even if I was mid strike in a boss battle. It can even do this after I've physically unplugged the console from the power point, taken it out for a nice steak dinner, then plugged it back in to the power outlet in a nuclear submarine without any internet.

You can't see how that is cool and useful as hell?

This all just seems like another "Why would I ever want to see my friends list while I'm in a game? Why would I ever want to be able to read and respond to messages or play music or start a party while I'm in a game?" garbage level excuses and coping that we had when the PS3 launched and was lagging behind the xbox 360 in OS features.

“It can even do this after I've physically unplugged the console from the power point, taken it out for a nice steak dinner, then plugged it back in to the power outlet in a nuclear submarine without any internet.”

that section right there should let the few who are in denial that VMs are being saved to disk for the mere fact that it can survive a reboot.

QR is a cool feature, being that the PS5 runs Linux, which opens the door for KVM virtualization, you could couple that with GPU pass through using MxGPU (AMD GPU Virt tech). The only draw back, is the performance will never be as good as bare metal.

Corndog

Banned
Why you think is limited to a bunch of games if it's free costs?
Because it’s complicated. I imagine save ram and cpu state is fairly simple. Gpu state seems much more difficult.
Thanks for the explanation. People think such feature is easy and free cost because MS did it, but it's not at all. A pity I can't refind a link about the OS costs. Don't know why it's so complicated to search but I remember to have read it time ago.
I think you are equating the use of vm overhead to loss of performance. A vm does use up some resources. The thing is Xbox has used vms since the start of Xbox one generation. So they aren’t losing any more performance then they were before.

Last post on this page explains why it doesn’t work for some games.

sainraja

That's great. But I don't think that is lost on anyone. What you continue to dismiss is that people are not able to do this on the PS5 in the same way and are fine with it (this does not mean they will push back on the feature if introduced, lol.)

You can't see how that is cool and useful as hell? No amount of fast loading or "card funcationality" on the PS5 can give me that experience.
Again, no one has been downplaying the way quick resume is implemented on XSX or its usefulness but even that will vary between different people. Some people don't play the way you do. You just can't seem to understand this.

They're not even remotely the same. The PS5 can't even handle unplugging the power and then returning to where you were in the last game you were playing.
Yes, the PS5's feature is limited since it won't work from a cold boot and restricts you to only one game.

Ah, so you've been fighting this war for a good while. ;)
PS3 did get the ability to see your friends list, ability to read/respond to messages and play music while in a game and no one pushed back on those features or sold their PS3's when Sony added them. Some people have the luxury of experiencing both options and they can still be fine with having it on one and not the other since their usage of said features could be different than your own.

Last edited:

twilo99

Not entirely true.
Quick resume does provide a much faster way to get back into games
35secs for ps5 and 12secs for series is a big difference on hitman 3 here.

Or 11 for series and 24 for ps5 here

I didn't realize there was such a big difference.. SSD is usually enough, but this quick resume business needs to come to PC!

Brofist

You can't see how that is cool and useful as hell? No amount of fast loading or "card funcationality" on the PS5 can give me that experience. They're not even remotely the same. The PS5 can't even handle unplugging the power and then returning to where you were in the last game you were playing.

I wouldn't even bother arguing this anymore, you have people in here literally in favor of having less options and proud of the fact that they don't use it.

I don't even have an XSX yet the feature looks great, and I wish Windows had a similar feature for getting back into games.

This isn't about suspending one game.
Oh i know, but the ps5 loads games in seconds. It not like we're still using last gen tech. The way how some people speak, its as if the ps5 doesnt have its own resume game from rest mode. Dont need multiple games suspended, most people cant even finish what they started, lol.
Or it's hot trash. Opinions are fun
Imagine calling the best new controller hot trash because xbox didnt make it....Nobody is calling quick resume trash , sir.... its simply not the best thing since slice bread like how yall make it out to be.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I wouldn't even bother arguing this anymore, you have people in here literally in favor of having less options and proud of the fact that they don't use it.

I don't even have an XSX yet the feature looks great, and I wish Windows had a similar feature for getting back into games.
Yeah I've put a few of these people on ignore from this thread now because they're clearly just console warriors.

I would love Quick Resume to come to PC. It's an amazing feature that has zero downsides and saves you lots of time.

Imagine calling the best new controller hot trash because xbox didnt make it....Nobody is calling quick resume trash , sir.... its simply not the best thing since slice bread like how yall make it out to be.
It's an opinion on haptics in general. You guys are missing the context of the post I originally quoted.

Banned
It's an amazing feature that has zero downsides

tell that to Ubisoft who fucked it up 3 times in their games so far, leading to lost progress, vital features not working after loading back in or crashes.
the inability for 3rd Pary devs to actually optimise correctly for features like these will always hang like a shadow over the potential of those features.

I personally never use it and make sure that I manually close my games every time I stop playing, to make sure they are not in quick resume, because I was already burned by bugs and have no longer any trust in it.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
Its like you’re talking to someone else 🧐.

I never said i was against having it, if Sony wants to implement it fine if not that’s also fine. It’s not a deal breaker. PC doesnt have it, Switch doesnt have it. They all seem to be doing fine. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Regarding returnal, i put that game on resume a couple of times got right back where i left. I have no complaints like at all. Smooth sailing. Hard game tho lol

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
tell that to Ubisoft who fucked it up 3 times in their games so far, leading to lost progress, vital features not working after loading back in or crashes.
the inability for 3rd Pary devs to actually optimise correctly for features like these will always hang like a shadow over the potential of those features.

I personally never use it and make sure that I manually close my games every time I stop playing, to make sure they are not in quick resume, because I was already burned by bugs and have no longer any trust in it.
But when it "doesn't work" you're no worse off than if you didn't have quick resume?

sainraja

Its like you’re talking to someone else 🧐.

I never said i was against having it, if Sony wants to implement it fine if not that’s also fine. It’s not a deal breaker. PC doesnt have it, Switch doesnt have it. They all seem to be doing fine. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Regarding returnal, i put that game on resume i couple of times got right back where i left. Have no complaints like at all. Smooth sailing. Hard game tho lol
Yeah, doesn't it feel like that?

They get so lost in their own opinions it's hard for them to understand others who may feel differently or use something in a way that is different then theirs. That's been the biggest challenge for me to address in this thread; somehow they think it's an attack on them or if you are not completely for it, you are 100% against it or there has to be another reason at play and if they can't think of anything else then they will resort to the most stupid one of all — "you are console warring" lol. It's like the reality outside of that framework just doesn't exist. It's tiring.

Last edited:

Genx3

The same could be said about any feature not done correctly with game breaking bugs.

It is up to developers to test their games properly.

I personally don't bother closing my games out and have had no issues.

JLB

Banned

You simply dont get it. No matter how much faster PS5 SSD is compared to Xbox Series X, QR provides some advantages that are simply out of the scope of any memory artifact.
Let me give you this time series example:
t0: playing Forza Horizon 5, paused the game in the middle of a race and started Doom Eternal.
t1: Played 15 minutes of Doom Eternal, just finished a section, feeling a bit overwhelmed, switch to Ori.
t2: Play Ori, got a green orb from a secret location, and got stucked in a puzzle.
t3: Just want to play Doom again and progress a bit more, switch to Doom and im right where I left it in 3 seconds. Play for 20 mins. In my head I start to think that I know how to resolve the puzzle in Ori. No matter if Im in the middle of a jump in Doom, switch to Ori and in 3 seconds im back where I left it, play and finish the puzzle. Feel great but now I want to finish Forza race before continuing with Doom.
t4: Switch to Forza and in 3 seconds im back in the race, exactly where I left it.

I think you get the idea. No matter if the SSD is instanteous, no matter even if the SSD goes beyond the speed of light and travels in time. QR is still orders of magnitude better for cases like the one I mention.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
Quick resume is such a nice feature. Its not even new. Xbox had it last gen too. Tho this gen u can do QR with 5 games. Crazy.

The inability of any 'next gen' console to do QR is 🤯 .

Banned
But when it "doesn't work" you're no worse off than if you didn't have quick resume?

well if it doesn't work in a game and you use it, it could mean lost progress.
Immortals for example stopped saving my progress after I used quick resume, I only noticed when the system kicked it out of quick resume and it did a fresh boot, which is when I found 2 hours of progress to be gone.
which is why I don't even try to use it anymore since it's simply not worth it with games loading this fast anyways now.

and that risk of having these severe bugs will always linger in your mind, at least it does for me... so I avoid it completely now and I will never use it again due to that...
call me crazy but I simply have no trust in modern game devs anymore 🤷‍♂️ it is more of a shocker nowadays when a game launches and is actually working correctly than the other way around.

so I mean, of course having the option to use it is better than not having the option, but honestly, if you'd been through what I have been through with it, you would avoid it as well I bet... at least for a while.
maybe some day the general feedback data will show that basically every game works flawlessly with it, but for now, nah.

Last edited:

Genx3

You simply dont get it. No matter how much faster PS5 SSD is compared to Xbox Series X, QR provides some advantages that are simply out of the scope of any memory artifact.
Let me give you this time series example:
t0: playing Forza Horizon 5, paused the game in the middle of a race and started Doom Eternal.
t1: Played 15 minutes of Doom Eternal, just finished a a section, feeling a bit overwhelmed, switch to Ori.
t2: Play Ori, got a green orb from a secret location, and got stucked on a puzzle.
t3: Just want to play Doom again and progress a bit more, switch to Doom and im right where I left in in 3 seconds. Play for 20 mins. In my head I start to think that I know how to resolve the puzzle in Ori. No matter if Im in the middle of a jump in Doom, swithc to Ori and in 3 seconds and back where I left it, play and finish the puzzle. Feel great but now I want to finish Forza race before continuing with Doom.
t4: Switch to Forza dn in 3 seconds and back in the race, exactly where I left it.

I think to get the idea. No matter if the SSD is instanteous, no matter even if the SSD goes beyond the speed of light and travels in time. QR is still orders of magnitude better for cases like the one I mention.
I was going to make a similar post but thanks for beating me to it!

People talking about cold boots have simply never used Quick Resume and therefore post answers in ignorance.

You could literally stop a game in the middle of a fight go back to continue another game then again go back to finish your original fight from the middle of it.

Top Bottom