• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 getting a sequel

Cyberpunkd

TAKE👏 YOUR👏 FUCKING 👏TIME!!!!

Don't fuck this one up like the last.

I'm actually enjoying the shit out of Cyberpunk now. They've improved so much since launch.
You can make the case they took too much time with CP2077 making them target PS5/XSX to the detriment of older consoles.

8f5634a807d34c195d19a21929fc56eb48026bac.gifv

Fuck yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Fuck the haters.

All in, chooms!
the haters right now:

iu

RCU005

Sorry for sounding condescending, but what use does this information have? Announcing projects like this is completely useless. Just look at games like Agent, Deep Down, etc.

Also, I don’t think it’s even good for them, since they had a ver hard time with Cyberpunk 2077. They should’ve just make a project in secret, announce it when it’s ready, redeem themselves and just then, talk about future projects.

DaGwaphics

Whatever you do project red, don't oversell the new IP for years and years in advance this time. Do the hype work once you know what it is that you have to sell.

proandrad

It's UE5 now, it's super easy to develop for, it will be much faster for CDProjectRed.

I hope not, unreal engine games have had terrible stuttering issues on pc. They have put years of work on this engine and now have the Cyberpunk in a decent place at the moment. Further building on their current engine and putting more polish on it would be easier than dumping it and starting on a brand new engine.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m enjoying the Edgerunners but still not enough for me to pick actual game because I don’t like FPS RPG.

mortal

Gold Member
Yea after how CDPR handled the marketing and previews for Cyberpunk 2077 leading up to its launch, I'm on an indefinite "need to see the actual game running in realtime first" basis with anything CDPR related now before I get even a little excited.

After spreading themselves so thin that the entire dev-team had to crunch for over an year resulting in a game with so many issues that the CyberPunk IP nearly died before it had legs to stand on, I don't think announcing 5 new projects with smaller teams is the way to go. There is no more wiggle-room for any more epic blusters from CD Projekt Red. If they release another half-assed and buggy mess, their already tattered reputation will be unrepairable.
The natural outcome after they divided their project teams into Witcher and Cyberpunk IP not too long ago. More surprised they have room for 3 Witcher projects.
They have too many projects in the works. Get all these people to release one polished game. Work on the others later.
They have too many projects in the works. Get all these people to release one polished game. Work on the others later.

While I agree after the fiasco of 2077, CDPR's main teams only have 2 new games in the works. Take a closer look at that twitter post/presentation slide.
Sirus is by Molasses Flood, their Boston branch founded in 2014. Majoris is by an unannounced 3rd party. Phantom Liberty is just DLC for 2077, which I'm guessing they're close to finishing already.

That leaves Just Polaris and Cyberpunk 2, which we already knew they were doing. Now whether they will successfully stay 2 teams instead of be cannibalized to be all hands on deck as one game gets closer to launch as it always goes remains to be seen.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Happy to hear that they're moving forward with a sequel. I absolutely love the world and want to experience more.

I'm not buying in until I see actual gameplay running on PS5 or Series X.
Considering how long the last game took to make, those consoles will either be dead or on their way out by the time they're ready to show off this one. I wouldn't be surprised if it's gonna be the same shit all over again, i.e. them never showing how the game runs on older consoles and then everyone acting all shocked when those versions look and play like ass compared to PC/PS6/Series Y.

Verchod

excellent news. though I am very surprised.
Cyberpunk is the only game where I thought they could re-use the environment, or even just add to it. The city is wonderful, and the scale is superb. Easily the best city in any game I've played

Pelta88

Considering how long the last game took to make, those consoles will either be dead or on their way out by the time they're ready to show off this one. I wouldn't be surprised if it's gonna be the same shit all over again, i.e. them never showing how the game runs on older consoles and then everyone acting all shocked when those versions look and play like ass compared to PC/PS6/Series Y.

All factual.

Though on a personal note, I wasn't shocked. Once I/We realized they were withholding actual gameplay I backed out and took a wait and see approach. But it was a debacle any gamer could see coming.

LOL, really?

They announced that game NINE YEARS AGO...and it's STILL unfinished!
If they "take their time" like you suggest, we'll all be dead before it is in a playable state.

Yeah really, unless you want a repeat of the first game? It needed at least another year in the oven.

Also they won't be developing the sequel on last gen consoles.

You can make the case they took too much time with CP2077 making them target PS5/XSX to the detriment of older consoles.

Game was mismanaged and them trying to develop such an ambitious game for last gen consoles as well as next gen and PC. Bit off more than they could chew and no laser focus on the target platforms.

This time around they won't have old ass hardware holding them back and they've got a hand on next gen consoles already with the current game so development should be a lot smoother.

Anyone who thinks these guys will repeat the mistakes they made with Cyberpunk 2077 needs to have their heads examined.

Last edited:

Madflavor

I wanted a sequel so badly and I'm glad it's happening. But the announcement of all these games at once, the opening of a new studio to develop Orion, I dunno. Sounds too ambitious, especially with what happened last time. If most of the same people who worked on CP77 will be working on Orion, then I'll feel a little bit better, but it sounds like I outta reserve my expectations on this one. A lot of the old guard in CDPR are gone as I understand it. Plus I doubt we're seeing any of these games in less than 5 years.

AAA game development takes so goddamn long these days it's depressing.

coffinbirth

Yeah really, unless you want a repeat of the first game? It needed at least another year in the oven.

Also they won't be developing the sequel on last gen consoles.

Game was mismanaged and them trying to develop such an ambitious game for last gen consoles as well as next gen and PC. Bit off more than they could chew and no laser focus on the target platforms.

This time around they won't have old ass hardware holding them back and they've got a hand on next gen consoles already with the current game so development should be a lot smoother.

Anyone who thinks these guys will repeat the mistakes they made with Cyberpunk 2077 needs to have their heads examined.
No, I want them to get their shit together. It shouldn't take 10+ years to develop a video game.

What actor do you want in the Cyberpunk sequel?

I vote Jean Claude Van Damme.
No famous actors. You can see how once they brought Keanu in it changed the scope and direction of the game. The game went from being more of a Bethesda type "be anyone with different stories that play out different depending on your background" to "be the faceless surrogate host of Johnny Silverhand" and the game became all about him. The opening lifepath sections are all that's left of what they scrapped. Fucking sucks hard.

Unless you're joking of course.

No, I want them to get their shit together. It shouldn't take 10+ years to develop a video game.

Well they won't be developing on last gen and they've already gotten their hands on current gen consoles. Also they're quite adept on PC so that should be enough to convince you this sequel won't take anywhere near as long to develop.

No famous actors. You can see how once they brought Keanu in it changed the scope and direction of the game. The game went from being more of a Bethesda type "be anyone with different stories that play out different depending on your background" to "be the faceless surrogate host of Johnny Silverhand" and the game became all about him. The opening lifepath sections are all that's left of what they scrapped. Fucking sucks hard.

Unless you're joking of course.
I never joke about Jean Claude

Cyberpunkd

I wanted a sequel so badly and I'm glad it's happening. But the announcement of all these games at once, the opening of a new studio to develop Orion, I dunno. Sounds too ambitious, especially with what happened last time.
Check their stock proce to know why they announced all that.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Credit to them since they've rebounded the game nicely. There's still issues but they have a lot of equity with me.

Unless you want to ok more woke triggered forums and buy into some hyperbole.

And to be clear, at the time of release I was pretty disappointed and waited for patches to come out before even playing it more.

Last edited:

Elbereth

After completing the game this summer and finishing Edge Runners… Can’t come soon enough.

Take as much time as needed. (Don’t skimp on the QA)

Top Bottom