• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 getting a sequel

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
If CDPR can find a different team to handle the gameplay I'm all in.

They can't be trusted with gameplay but their art team is top tier.

nowhat

It's a better RPG than Witcher.
For the record, I don't think the Witcher games are the best RPGs ever by any measure (still quite enjoyed 2 and 3, never finished the first one). But I like my actions to have consequences in an RPG. In Cyberpunk, you have a default ending if you do no side content. If you grind it out, you have two more (and a third one, which is same for both). You can unlock and try to get the "secret ending" if you pick up a certain set of answers in a particular conversation - but again, nothing you've done up to that point matters at all. That's just weak IMHO.

I think people vastly overestimate how much your decisions in Witcher 3 affect the game world, but I still feel I got to roleplay more as Geralt than I did with V, a character of my own making, in Cyberpunk.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
I would much have preferred if the entire studio was working on one game and making it a polished masterpiece like their earlier efforts than to have 4+ games and DLC's on the go before the patches and promised updates are even done for earlier games.

This is a prime, juicy example of public company publishers cannibalising their golden goose to appease shareholders.

I digress - I hope it turns out well, I just can't see it.

Mozzarella

I wish they can just find a better IP, but i mean alright

I wish they can try their luck with Vampire the Masquerade, i can almost swear it matches them perfectly. SAD

EDMIX

Difficult to get hyped seeing how the latest one ended up being a fiasco.

This.

I'd rather have news that they increased their fucking studio to actually make functional games. If they are not correcting what fucked up the last game's development, its a used, on sale, I'll buy for $5 after it flops after the lawsuit type deal. Its only day 1 for me with a review that isn't hidden, a demo given etc. All that trust is completely lost with these scum. They leave greed to others?

They forgot to tell their fans they are the "others" in that regard lol. I'd love to say I was more hype for the new IP they are working on, but with the companies current state, its hard to be hype for window dressing, they must now prove the game is solid, complete, working and not some scam type deal. Going into this generation, it will be hard take what they say seriously after that whole mess. So I hope they just do some Fallout 4 reveal and release type thing with a short marketing window.
It's UE5 now, it's super easy to develop for, it will be much faster for CDProjectRed.

oh yea, well I read that was for Witcher 4, but I assume they'll use that for CP2077 too so.
If it's not third person, I'm not buying it. That's the only thing that would even make me consider giving them money.
At the very least with both options. We've seen too many games with this for that excuse of them not being able to do both. RE8 is having some update where you can have both first and 3rd person.
I would be happy if they just reused Night City and pulled a Yakuza. Change some things, new stories and characters - add some more features. Would save a ton on dev costs, time, and give us the definitive version of this city.

Same. I have no faith in then doing some open world and they might as well use the same city and focus on features. Saves time, dev cost and focus on making a functional city and not just hollow, lifeless window dressing.
"Cyberpunk 2077 sequel that will prove the full power and potential of the cyberpunk universe."

Wait, didn't CDPR make the same sounding statements in the run up to 2077?!

tom-hanks-thinking-gif-1.gif

I'm not buying in until I see actual gameplay running on PS5 or Series X.

Trust, they will find a new excuse on why they need PS6 in order for gangs to shoot back at you, NPCs crossing the street, next gen is needed for reload animation for guns didn't you know? lol

Justin9mm

how about they complete the first game?

jk im actually looking forward to it... it will look UNREAL in uNREAL ENGINE 5 pOWERED BY EPIC
I know you probably already know this but yeah the train has left on CP2077.

But yeah using UE5, let's hope they finally deliver on their original ambition. There are so many mistakes they should have learnt from. If they fuck this one up, it proves they are just not a capable developer.

Guilty_AI

For the record, I don't think the Witcher games are the best RPGs ever by any measure (still quite enjoyed 2 and 3, never finished the first one). But I like my actions to have consequences in an RPG. In Cyberpunk, you have a default ending if you do no side content. If you grind it out, you have two more (and a third one, which is same for both). You can unlock and try to get the "secret ending" if you pick up a certain set of answers in a particular conversation - but again, nothing you've done up to that point matters at all. That's just weak IMHO.

I think people vastly overestimate how much your decisions in Witcher 3 affect the game world, but I still feel I got to roleplay more as Geralt than I did with V, a character of my own making, in Cyberpunk.
You're too are vastly overestimating it. The only decisions that affect the ending in the witcher are a handful of interactions with Ciri on the last act.
If you were more 'bad' than 'good' with her, bad ending. If you were more 'good' than 'bad' with her, good or neutral ending, either of those being determined by a whooping 1 decision.

Any other decision besides those only gets you a different slide-show at the end of the game showing differences in the game world or romance, except cyberpunk also has plenty those "world state" and romance differences. They're so similar in that regard you can kinda tell its the same dev.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
Honestly, I think they’ll deliver, kinda like how Square Enix learned a hard lesson after FFXIV 1.0 went. Everyone laughed at them, myself included, when they promised the 2.0 do-over. I’ve seen a lot of comeback stories between that, No Man’s Sky, and so forth. I think CDPR will turn the ship around and not repeat the same mistakes.

Still won’t preorder though.

Madflavor

Honestly, I think they’ll deliver, kinda like how Square Enix learned a hard lesson after FFXIV 1.0 went. Everyone laughed at them, myself included, when they promised the 2.0 do-over. I’ve seen a lot of comeback stories between that, No Man’s Sky, and so forth. I think CDPR will turn the ship around and not repeat the same mistakes.

I really hope so. Cyberpunk's launch was an unbelievable disaster, and CDPR had to endure months and months of ridicule, criticism, refunds, lawsuits, etc etc. But the game ultimately made a comeback. They have a loyal fanbase who have fallen in love with this universe and are hoping in good faith they don't make the same mistake twice.

Guilty_AI

I think they already did, its been weeks since Edgerunners launch and CP is still in the top 10 most played games on steam, while also being the 1st most played singleplayer game.

Its a great game, its just that people became overly critical of it due to bugs and internet drama. Like it or not, you'll be hard-pressed to find a game quite like it.

Last edited:

Griffon

What this tells me more than anything is that they're not making any more expansions for Cyberpunk 2077.
The upcoming one will be the only one, and that's a crying shame, this game could've done with a lot more details and stories added to Night City.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Those geniuses. They promised big, failed, promised to fix big, fixed small, several times. And All of it was on purpose. For this moment. For the Redemption Arc. I applaud these crazy bastards. You can't patch in the excitement of a new sequel. If it's even half the game it's predecessor was, it will be a quarter of a game. But if NOT...tonight (7 years from now) we'll (you guys) be eating (maybe) good (bigger maybe).

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Difficult to get hyped seeing how the latest one ended up being a fiasco.
It sucked ass on shitty old hardware. The game was a good time on PC and deserving of a sequel.
Sorry for sounding condescending, but what use does this information have? Announcing projects like this is completely useless. Just look at games like Agent, Deep Down, etc.

Also, I don’t think it’s even good for them, since they had a ver hard time with Cyberpunk 2077. They should’ve just make a project in secret, announce it when it’s ready, redeem themselves and just then, talk about future projects.
Cyberpunk was hyped for the better part of a decade. Poor performance on old systems aside, the game still sold a shit ton right out of the gate. Why wouldn't you try that strategy again?
What this tells me more than anything is that they're not making any more expansions for Cyberpunk 2077.
The upcoming one will be the only one, and that's a crying shame, this game could've done with a lot more details and stories added to Night City.
They said as much when it was announced. I'd prefer a sequel to short expansions peppered out over a couple years. This expansion is 2.5 years after launch. I have no fucking recollection of anything in that game apart from Panam's ass.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I can’t believe they wouldn’t do a sequel. It would be foolish not. There is too much potential in that universe. Especially if they have a large enough team to work on both Witcher and Cyberpunk.

YCoCg

Anyone who thought different was deluded, sure the game itself was a trashfire on launch but post support has been great, the anime on Netflix has done insane numbers and the merch has been selling like crazy, all whilst under their ownership.

ReBurn

Gold Member
"Cyberpunk 2077 sequel that will prove the full power and potential of the cyberpunk universe."

Wait, didn't CDPR make the same sounding statements in the run up to 2077?!

tom-hanks-thinking-gif-1.gif

I'm not buying in until I see actual gameplay running on PS5 or Series X.
Friday Movie GIF

Fredrik

It’s true, Digital Foundry gave CP2077 the best graphics award for a reason, with RT at max nothing come close, that you don’t like the game or only play on consoles doesn’t change anything, techwise the engine delivers.
And look at the performance on the Matrix UE5 demo. What proof do we have that UE5 can actually pull off nice visuals with RT at decent framerates? 🤔

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
It’s true, Digital Foundry gave CP2077 the best graphics award for a reason, with RT at max nothing come close, that you don’t like the game or only play on consoles doesn’t change anything, techwise the engine delivers.
And look at the performance on the Matrix UE5 demo. What proof do we have that UE5 can actually pull off nice visuals with RT at decent framerates? 🤔

Fredrik, don't bother with these people. Hating on CP2077 is their past time hobby.

Imbeciles who love to point out that "GAME IS INCOMPLETE" because it's missing police chases and the like. Following their "logic" GTA games are incomplete because they don't have level-up and perk system or dialogue options.

Arguing with them is not worth your time. Just move on.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I wonder if they'll find a way to keep V around, as means to bring Keanu's Silverhand.

Playing cyberpunk without Silverhand's hallucinations would make it a very different game in terms of narrative.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I wonder if they'll find a way to keep V around, as means to bring Keanu's Silverhand.

Playing cyberpunk without Silverhand's hallucinations would make it a very different game in terms of narrative.

Please, no more Silverhand and no more Keanu. We're getting huge expansion with him next year. Enough is enough. Give us new characters and new stories. Edgerunners was amazing and IMO tackled cyberpunk themes better than 2077.

Spaceman292

Banned
Who gives a shit about sales.

I'm talking about not only the absolute bugfest it was at release, but also all the unfulfilled promises they made along the way. Sales numbers can't fix any of those.
D-doesn't matter that it sold well and the game was really good! It had some bugs at release! FIASCO!!

Come on man

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
and the game was really good! It had some bugs at release!
It wasn't really good and it didn't have just some bugs. What it was, is a far departure from what they promised and a more than broken product at release.

Come on man.

Top Bottom