• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls - New Trailer - 2011 Worldwide [Update 2: Video Interview In OP]

ijed

HM said:
We are trying to create a game that is spicy. And we want to make it as spicy as possible. But it is edible, it tastes good, and it leaves you wanting more.

MMMMMM Chilli Souls
HomerDrool.png

Raide

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Poor SONY, they fucked up with this one. Let's hope they make an attempt at relinquishing what could have been one of their best franchises.

I love the idea of Dark Souls because I can buy it on a 360. :D

If Dark Souls does all it sets out to do, could Sony really make a Demon's Souls 2 and convince people to go back to a single platform again? If Dark Souls does well, Sony then have to market DS2 from another developer and have people not turn around and say "It looks like Dark Souls!"

Btw, what are the sales numbers for Demon's Souls? Anyone have any ideas?

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Raide said:

If Dark Souls does all it sets out to do, could Sony really make a Demon's Souls 2 and convince people to go back to a single platform again? If Dark Souls does well, Sony then have to market DS2 from another developer and have people not turn around and say "It looks like Dark Souls!"

I think the game was announced during a Sony conference, so I don't think they've got any hard feelings towards From, or any desire to compete with Dark Souls. I think they know they messed up.

Raide

Captain Pants said:
I think the game was announced during a Sony conference, so I don't think they've got any hard feelings towards From, or any desire to compete with Dark Souls. I think they know they messed up.

I wonder if they will drop Demon's Souls and carry on with Dark Souls, despite it being multi-platform?

Raide said:

Btw, what are the sales numbers for Demon's Souls? Anyone have any ideas?

This is probably true. Considering how things are panning out for FROM and their fantasy series, SONY may have trouble trying to bring everyone back. But, I think they could do it with reasonable success.

Last I knew the game had sold over 100k but man, those are clearly old ass numbers. That may even be original JPN/Asian release numbers. The success was staggering considering what was projected.

Captain Pants said:
The more I look at their logo, the 'd' and the 's' are different from Galant. They might have changed that though. I'm starting to think I might not have the font even though I've got a bunch that are similar.

I just looked and I think I got the name wrong. Galant looks different, but that is via a web search. Maybe you have a Galant font that is different? Anyway, this looks like a pretty close match, actually really close...

http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/mvbfonts/mvb-verdigris/osf-bold/

J2d

K' Dash said:
If this game is as good as Demons Souls it deserves all the sales it can get, fuck the fanboy shit.
Yes but it would be oh so sweet if this did 2mil+ because then Sony would maybe think of diversifying their efforts a bit, that and hopefully a flood of sequels.

Sony should step the fuck up and give us dedicated servers for this game as an apology for letting this slip through their fingers. I am not really complaining as DS is so fantastic that I am really happy 360 only folks will get a taste, but the persistance of dedicated servers in DS adds a lot to the experience and going to a peer system may degrade some of that. If Sony steps up and says they will put up servers worldwide then perhaps we can get something like WT back in the game.

In a peer based system we will probably lose many of the messages, bloodstains, and random phantoms. I am sure From will make up for that somehow - but playing through the game in soul form and replaying bloodstains or reading random messages and seeing shades all around was a truely unique experience.

On another note, that interview makes it sound like this is definitely a sequel to DS but they have to say it isn't just to avoid IP ownership issues. With some of the armor, all of the art and most of the mechanics being the same as DS, what constitutes the DS IP?

soldat7

Raide said:
I wonder if they will drop Demon's Souls and carry on with Dark Souls, despite it being multi-platform?

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Demon's Souls 2 on Sony's new portable. I also wouldn't expect From to have anything to do with it. Just a guess.

the_prime_mover said:
Sony should step the fuck up and give us dedicated servers for this game as an apology for letting this slip through their fingers. I am not really complaining as DS is so fantastic that I am really happy 360 only folks will get a taste, but the persistance of dedicated servers in DS adds a lot to the experience and going to a peer system may degrade some of that. If Sony steps up and says they will put up servers worldwide then perhaps we can get something like WT back in the game.

Sony has nothing to do with Dark Souls. I didn't really like world tendency anyways.

way more

. We’ve created all characters — including enemies and the player — to have high attack power but low defense. We don’t want users to hack and hack and hack away to defeat an enemy. It’s more strategic.

Nice. Who uses a shield anyway? Why not just hide under your moms skirt?

RyanDG

mac said:
Nice. Who uses a shield anyway? Why not just hide under your moms skirt?

My thoughts exactly. Dual wielding the Hiltless + parrying dagger is the way to go. Or just two handing the Hiltless.

Captain Pants

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I just looked and I think I got the name wrong. Galant looks different, but that is via a web search. Maybe you have a Galant font that is different? Anyway, this looks like a pretty close match, actually really close...

http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/mvbfonts/mvb-verdigris/osf-bold/
koLiI.jpg

Both Verdigris and Galant are similar, but not quite, the Dark Souls fonts has sharp points at the tips of the letters. I want whatever font this is. I work in stone engraving, and sharp points like that would be great for headstones and whatnot. It is a cool font.

Nelo Ice

Banned
damn just saw the trailer will be getting this day 1!

so glad its comin to 360 and i hope they have an LE since it'll be worth it and it'll actually be limited

Captain Pants said:
koLiI.jpg

Both Verdigris and Galant are similar, but not quite, the Dark Souls fonts has sharp points at the tips of the letters. I want whatever font this is. I work in stone engraving, and sharp points like that would be great for headstones and whatnot. It is a cool font.

You're right, do you think that is altered that way though? At this point my guess is it's custom, based on one of them..

I would absolutely LOVE to see FROM make shit happen on the NGP.

Captain Pants

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
You're right, do you think that is altered that way though? At this point my guess is it's custom, based on one of them..

I would absolutely LOVE to see FROM make shit happen on the NGP.

I wouldn't be surprised if they took a sorta basic font like either of those and tweaked it.

edit: and yeah, portable Demon's/Dark Souls would be fantastic!

Captain Pants said:
Well, this is assuming From left Sony because they felt they needed to go multiplatform.

Based on an interview with the director of Demon's Souls (of From Software) and the producer of Demon's Souls (of SCEJ), it seems it was Sony who passed on Dark Souls, as opposed to From deciding to go multiplatform:

FINAL QUESTION: Will there be a sequel?!

HM [FS]: I will let Mr Kaiji answer that question.

TK [SCEJ]: At the moment, my answer is "no sequel!" However, we have been encouraged by all the players, and this title is so well supported, and besides we like this title so much… Well, this is my own feeling, but I think one day we could bring you another Demon's Souls...

Based on other comments in the article, I get the feeling From Software planned a sequel from the getgo, but Sony weren't keen on continuing with the franchise thanks to the game's initially weak software sales (which is also probably why SCEA/SCEE passed on localizing the game). Namco probably agreed to localize Dark Souls on ps3/360 when they signed the deal to bring Demon's Souls to Europe, thus sealing the fate of the sequel.

DaveFalse: The game took off due to word of mouth, and people importing it from Asia and then US. Did you expect this to happen?

HM: No, we didn't foresee it at all. This is why it has been a series of happy surprises for us.

TK: That was very interesting for us, and people valued the game differently than we thought they would. We were a bit stressed before the release of the game… I remember that it was a dark moment when we saw the first order figures. *laughs* I really think that Demon's Souls became what it is today thanks to all the players.

I don't see why Sony wouldn't like to work on a sequel given how things ultimately turned out, but it doesn't seem very feasible given From have now gone multiplatform. Plus From were really letdown by Sony.

Captain Pants said:
koLiI.jpg

If you watch the video there is an orb in between the words, hence the sharp points in the letter S.

FilthieRich

Namco Community Manager
Wassup guys! Have you been to the www.facebook.com/darksouls page? I have a couple of screens up(but most of them are here already), if there are some special requests for what your looking forward to see make sure to post it up on the facebook page~
-FilthieRich

FilthieRich said:
Wassup guys! Have you been to the www.facebook.com/darksouls page? I have a couple of screens up(but most of them are here already), if there are some special requests for what your looking forward to see make sure to post it up on the facebook page~
-FilthieRich
I have done my part. Don't worry GAF got your back.

Raide

FilthieRich said:
-FilthieRich

Already added. Also added you to Twitter. :p

Canova

Banned
FilthieRich said:
-FilthieRich

Hey Rich, make sure you tell Namco to properly advertise this game. Don't let Sony's mistake happen with this great franchise.

EDIT: oh don't go to the Tales thread, lol

FilthieRich said:
-FilthieRich
There he is! Everybody get him!

Already added the Dark Souls page on Facebook so I can keep up to date on the latest info! Thanks!

FilthieRich said:
-FilthieRich

You've got our support, at least those that have Facebook! Hope you spend some more time in here. It would be great for discussion, etc. I'll be adding you on Twitter as well.

soldat7 said:
I wouldn't be surprised to see a Demon's Souls 2 on Sony's new portable. I also wouldn't expect From to have anything to do with it. Just a guess.

Sony has nothing to do with Dark Souls. I didn't really like world tendency anyways.

From what I have read, Namco isn't setting up dedicated servers and everything will be peer to peer over either PSN or Live, so I just supposed that Sony could sweeten their pot by setting up dedicated servers.

I can appreciate people not liking WT events, though I felt they added a dynamic element to the game. But I hope the ptp setup doesn't cost the game the other interesting online elements.

the_prime_mover said:
From what I have read, Namco isn't setting up dedicated servers and everything will be peer to peer over either PSN or Live, so I just supposed that Sony could sweeten their pot by setting up dedicated servers.

I can appreciate people not liking WT events, though I felt they added a dynamic element to the game. But I hope the ptp setup doesn't cost the game the other interesting online elements.

I tend to agree with you on the matters of WT. It was a cool concept, but a little hard to grasp. It was easier before they started patching it in different ways. This peer-to-peer stuff worries me; I've had little success this gen when it comes to playing multiplayer components of a game that utilize peer-to-peer.

Canova

Banned
the_prime_mover said:

So those without Live gold membership wont be able to play online?

RyuHayate

Ugh, this game looks incredible!

I still have yet to finish Demon's Souls, but I've played enough of it to know how special it is (it arguably has the best atmosphere of any game this generation). From the look of things, FromSoftware seems keen on breaking further ground and I can't fucking wait to see what they have in store.

So, I have one question: who owns the Dark Souls IP? Namco-Bandai or FromSoftware?

If it's the former, I would market the living hell out of this thing. Remember how it stated that Enslaved is its most pivotal IP of this generation? No, no... without a doubt, THIS is.

ijed

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
This peer-to-peer stuff worries me; I've had little success this gen when it comes to playing multiplayer components of a game that utilize peer-to-peer.

I thought Demon's Souls MP sessions were P2P - Whoever was in body form was the host.
This is what I was told by a Namco rep when I asked about the Servers for the PAL version:
Servers are located in Japan as they are with all other versions. The
game is a mix of client-server and peer to peer gaming.

Canova

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I tend to agree with you on the matters of WT. It was a cool concept, but a little hard to grasp. It was easier before they started patching it in different ways. This peer-to-peer stuff worries me; I've had little success this gen when it comes to playing multiplayer components of a game that utilize peer-to-peer.

oh wait a minute, how bout ghosts?? ghosting is a big deal

ghost images need dedicated servers

ijed said:
I thought Demon's Souls MP sessions were P2P - Whoever was in body form was the host.
This is what I was told by a Namco rep when I asked about the Servers for the PAL version:

pvp and co-op may be p2p, but ghosting is client-server

ijed

canova said:
oh wait a minute, how bout ghosts?? ghosting is a big deal

ghost images need dedicated servers

pvp and co-op may be p2p, but ghosting is client-server

Ghost data only comes from currently active players tho so could work without a dedicated server? (Still not really sure about the difference between a dedicated and default psn/xbl matchmaking server)
Not sure about bloodstains and messages though.

Canova

Banned
ijed said:
Ghost data only comes from currently active players tho so could work without a dedicated server? (Still not really sure about the difference between a dedicated and default psn/xbl matchmaking server)
Not sure about bloodstains and messages though.

ok I went back to the information from Famitsu a few days ago,

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/02/01/dark_souls/

Looks like those DS online elements will still be there, though I guess we don't know how they implement it without dedicated servers

Regarding network play, Hidetaka said that he can't share too many details, but the game will have cooperative and competitive multiplayer elements. You'll be able to call upon people to help you out when you're stuck.

The game will also have indirect online elements like the original -- seeing the images of other players, messages from the dead, and so-forth. The game will not have its own servers this time, though, so elements like Soul Tendency from the original will not be here.

There are some other online elements that will be detailed in future updates

Hmm, one thing in the interview worries me:

He says that the campfire restores the player's health.

That sounds exploitable, where if you were stuck at a hard part of a level, you could chip away one enemy at a time, and return to the campfire to regenerate.

RyuHayate

teh_J0kerer said:
Hmm, one thing in the interview worries me:

He says that the campfire restores the player's health.

That sounds exploitable, where if you were stuck at a hard part of a level, you could chip away one enemy at a time, and return to the campfire to regenerate.

Do you warp back and forth to the campfire or what? If that's the case then, yeah, there could be a problem there. But by the time you reach that enemy again, the likelihood of you dying before successfully knocking him around numerous times until it's defeated seems high (considering the distance you'd have to travel).

duckroll said:
A portable Nexus of sorts. There will probably be limitations as to where you can set one up.

That's actually a really good idea because it will limit the "oh god I have to play through the WHOLE level again?" - factor.

lol this game is suffering what a lot of upcoming games are suffering for me, and that's too good to be true syndrome. I feel like that for Dark Souls, LA Noir (according to that they've described), and Versus XIII.

sublimit

Banned
I hope INDIGO_CYCLOPS makes the official thread.His original Demon's Souls thread was legendary and i'll never forget how thrilled i was reading all the info page by page...i wasn't a member then but i still remember many of the people who were posting especially a member with a Silent Chief look a like avatar.I think the game owns a lot of sales to that thread.

I am so happy gaf finally gets to see the brilliance of From Software. I remember playing the KF series and having no one to share my excitement with back in the day. There was this playstation magazine called PSXTREME that had a letter section where I remember seeing a guy write about how Kings Field 2 was his favorite game of all time. I was so desperate for someone to share my obsession of the game with I went to great lengths to get the guys address to write him a letter about it. Anyway truly fantastic to see them get the love they deserve also its less creepy for people getting a weird ass letter from someone.

Top Bottom