• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls - New Trailer - 2011 Worldwide [Update 2: Video Interview In OP]

Speevy

Banned
I can see it now. They'll throw you a little bone which will ruin the game for hardcore DS fans and redeem it for people who threw down their controller the first time around.

All the while neither group will buy nearly enough copies of it, which will make me very angry.

RyuHayate

BruceLeeRoy said:
I am so happy gaf finally gets to see the brilliance of From Software. I remember playing the KF series and having no one to share my excitement with back in the day. There was this playstation magazine called PSXTREME that had a letter section where I remember seeing a guy write about how Kings Field 2 was his favorite game of all time. I was so desperate for someone to share my obsession of the game with I went to great lengths to get the guys address to write him a letter about it. Anyway truly fantastic to see them get the love they deserve also its less creepy for people getting a weird ass letter from someone.

Have the King's Field games aged well? I've contemplated picking them up but from where I've looked online, they're a bit pricey.

Raide

Speevy said:
I can see it now. They'll throw you a little bone which will ruin the game for hardcore DS fans and redeem it for people who threw down their controller the first time around.

All the while neither group will buy nearly enough copies of it, which will make me very angry.

Well, all those Hardcore players don't have to force themselves to use the Beacon Fire. They can just carry on like a boss and fight stuff...and die.

Steroyd

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Ughhhhhh crystal geckos.

I'm glad WT is getting dumped at least but man the geckos can go fuck themselves a zillion times over.

:D

JeNPG.png

Alex

Game looks incredible, AC5 looks incredible, glad to see From Software dishing it out like so, have always liked them.

Danielsan

Cracked open my Euro copy of Demon's Souls this week. Started a female character but wasn't quite happy with her appearance. Just made a new female Knight and I managed to make a pretty good looking character model.

8uPOo.jpg

I also beat the Vanguard in the tutorial for the first time (first time I really tried though). Easy as pie. :D

Not quite sure how to level up my Knight. Only played a Royal character in my Asian copy.
God I almost forgot how gorgeous this game is. Amazing scale and art direction. The wait for Dark Souls is unbearable.

It takes so much work to make someone that actually looks human in Demon's Souls, so all of my female characters wind up looking the same. :(

I guess that's partly because I can't resist the Saber hairdo.

Canova

Banned
Speevy said:

I trust this director, if he didn't compromise on anything before, he wouldn't compromise here either.

The are several ways they can implement the beacon of fire. For example, there can be only one beacon of fire per stage. Plus they can make it a found item, meaning that you have to look and find it first. There's always have to be risk-reward and action-consequence. They know the concept well, they invented it

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Danielsan said:
I also beat the Vanguard in the tutorial for the first time (first time I really tried though). Easy as pie. :D

Not quite sure how to level up my Knight. Only played a Royal character in my Asian copy.
God I almost forgot how gorgeous this game is. Amazing scale and art direction. The wait for Dark Souls is unbearable.
Gratz on beating Vanguard! Yeah getting an attractive character's a real lottery, it took me a good few taps on random to get a good one. And now I want to start a new game... :(

sublimit said:
I hope INDIGO_CYCLOPS makes the official thread.His original Demon's Souls thread was legendary and i'll never forget how thrilled i was reading all the info page by page...i wasn't a member then but i still remember many of the people who were posting especially a member with a Silent Chief look a like avatar.I think the game owns a lot of sales to that thread.

Kind words, thanks! He was a good guy and added A LOT to the OT in the beginning. I think his name was Doctor_Who or something like that. I could be wrong but I know it began with Doctor. Hope he joins up again!

I really don't think we have to worry about compromise. They are just excited to be making a new game, I'm sure we can all see that. My guess is the Beacon Fire will have its limitations.

Did he actually say that you regenerate health at it?

PS: King's Field IV is fucking awesome, regardless of what some people might say. What a game; it has atmosphere, it has enemies, it has loot, and it has an intriguing story.

Canova

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Kind words, thanks! He was a good guy and added A LOT to the OT in the beginning. I think his name was Doctor_Who or something like that. I could be wrong but I know it began with Doctor. Hope he joins up again!

I really don't think we have to worry about compromise. They are just excited to be making a new game, I'm sure we can all see that. My guess is the Beacon Fire will have its limitations.

Did he actually say that you regenerate health at it?

PS: King's Field IV is fucking awesome, regardless of what some people might say. What a game; it has atmosphere, it has enemies, it has loot, and it has an intriguing story.

Indigo, I just shipped your item, you should get it sometime next week

I just assumed that the beacon fire will replace the way stones, so it will just the same as before. Make it so far into an area beat a boss and then they will let you set up a beacon fire. I could see allowing fast travel between beacon fires that you have setup also to replace the nexus.

Gorgon

Zzoram said:
How do we know that campfires didn't just replace archstones?

Because we know the game is seamless.

canova said:
hmmmm....I don't know about that one.

Players can just choose the re-spawn point right before boss fight. Why do they have to mess with the original concept? shortcuts have worked brilliantly, why changed it?

You're reading to much into what he said. We just don't know. "Choosing" may simply mean that campfires are spread aorund the world and that depending on the routes and paths you choose (this is seamless, don't forget) you will strategise your own use of the location of these fireplaces. We don't know if we can make fireplaces (eith a limited number and under special circumstances) or if their position is fixed.

Raide said:
Indeed. The Beacon Fire thing is interesting, though I am unsure what Emotional Communication means. :D

Probably means using animations that denote emotions just like in Demon's Souls

makingmusic476 said:
The guy continues to insist that Dark Souls isn't a sequel to Demon's Souls in any way, but he then goes on to compare the game to Demon's Souls in just about every facet of the two games' design.

Just say it's a spiritual sequel and call it a day lol.

Well, what can he say? "Yes, this is Demon's Souls 2, it's exactely what we would have done if it was an official sequel, but since this is not the case, we call it something else instead".

FilthieRich said:
Wassup guys! Have you been to the www.facebook.com/darksouls page? I have a couple of screens up(but most of them are here already), if there are some special requests for what your looking forward to see make sure to post it up on the facebook page~
-FilthieRich

My special request is to see a leaked video of the gameplay of Dark Souls.

;)

duckroll said:
A portable Nexus of sorts. There will probably be limitations as to where you can set one up.

As I said above, I'm not convinced these fireplaces aren't already pre-distributed around the world.

Tylahedras said:
That's actually a really good idea because it will limit the "oh god I have to play through the WHOLE level again?" - factor.

Since this looks very free-roaming, there was no other way to do it, since there are no "levels" per si.

Raide said:
Well, all those Hardcore players don't have to force themselves to use the Beacon Fire. They can just carry on like a boss and fight stuff...and die.

I think a lot of fans have a problem with the concept of "choice". No one forces you to use stuff just because it's there.

Gorgon

JakOfTheShadows said:
Speaking of free-roaming, I wonder how they will handle the re-spawning of enemies?

I don't think it will differ much from Demon's Souls, although it may be that the weakest enemies may have some relative "free" roaming. But mostly it will be like DS, in my opinion (same enemies in the same places, same patroling patterns, etc).

Raide

After watching that GT Interview, does it sound like the Beacon Fire stuff will be used when you find that specific area in the world? He seemed to suggest you have to find them and that place can become your base, instead of travelling back.

Had the same idea after that interview, it seems to be predetermined areas that you can use (or not) when you reach them, and not some kind of item-you-use-wherever-you-want type of thing.

I'm relieved to hear that ^^

fna84, summoning a friend won't ruin the game if it's well done (after all, summoning a friend should be the same as some other random stranger like Demon's Souls). What could be done is : you're summoning somebody, it looks in your friends list if someone is available and priorize them if so. If no one's playing or the conditions for their summoning aren't reached, it would summon a random stranger.
Voice chat on the other end, is going to ruin the atmosphere for sure. Emotional Communication is key as they said.

Man

fna84 said:
So would voice chat ruin the game?

I believe so.

And it's practically the only game in the world I believe that's the case for (unless they make a Silent Hill online or something).
I fear that they will put in voice chat simply due to a X360 version being made. I wish they could lock it out to teach a lesson in atmosphere and design.

Zeliard

Raide said:
Just wondering, can you parry attacks in Demon's Souls or is it just shield block?

There's a parry & riposte system in Demon's Souls. Very high risk:reward since it leaves you vulnerable but does enormous damage. Not every enemy can be parried, though.

Edit: unless you meant Dark Souls :p

Raide

Danielsan said:
Parry and riposte are in.

Example

Zeliard said:
There's a parry & riposte system in Demon's Souls. Very high risk:reward since it leaves you vulnerable but does enormous damage. Not every enemy can be parried, though.

Edit: unless you meant Dark Souls :p

Thanks both. I have not played Demon's Souls enough to learn the combat stuff, so it was just a thought. Glad to see it was in all along.

This year is going to be awesome for games.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So it seems there is another game I'll be buying. I thought The Last Guardian would be my last purchase this generation, unless they release Soul Calibur V.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Man said:
I believe so.

And it's practically the only game in the world I believe that's the case for (unless they make a Silent Hill online or something).
I fear that they will put in voice chat simply due to a X360 version being made. I wish they could lock it out to teach a lesson in atmosphere and design.

To be fair people who really want voice can always have it, I used skype to play with my friends with voice, so yeah demon souls with voice was always possible. Just have to go through a bunch of loops lol ;).

It makes a change to hear a developer talking about how their new game will give fans more of what they're used to, rather than how it will reboot the series or redefine the genre or raise the bar so high it pushes the envelope to the next level.

I can only imagine if this game were made by some other developer with a publisher like EA calling the shots. You'd have some dumbed down piece of shit with a line of preorder DLC stretching into the next generation.

From EuroGamer preview-
"This game will actually be more difficult," he says. "We plan to continue to challenge players and make the game even harder.

The tutorial boss this time is going to be a pack of rabid man-eaters.

John Harker said:
The clerk at Babbages laughed at me years ago when I asked for Shadow Tower.
Clearly he was a fool. Both those games are amazing. So fucking amazing.

I honestly don't trust any other developer with this series.

Canova

Banned
It makes a change to hear a developer talking about how their new game will give fans more of what they're used to, rather than how it will reboot the series or redefine the genre or raise the bar so high it pushes the envelope to the next level.

A lot of developers or publishers should take note on this. The sequel doesn't have to be groundbreaking or rebooted to appeal to new fans, on the contrary the sequel SHOULD GIVE BACK to the existing fanbase who have been supporting the previous game.

Canova

Banned
"Dark Souls will not be any easier at all," he says, speaking via a translator at Namco Bandai's Ignite event. "We will continue to make the game difficult enough for players to enjoy. Hopefully we will live up to the hardcore fans' expectations."

There's bad news, though, for those who found Miyazaki's original offering so rock-hard they're still struggling to complete it.

"This game will actually be more difficult," he says. "We plan to continue to challenge players and make the game even harder.

"The base concepts underlying this game – the rewards, the satisfaction you get from being able to conquer the difficulty – are big themes. In order to give players a bigger sense of achievement and satisfaction I simply have to make this game more difficult, compared to Demon's Souls."

But that seems to be Miyazaki's style. Speaking at the press conference held the day before our interview, he looked proud to proclaim that this new game is being developed by the same team as Demon's Souls, and that it's based around similar concepts.

He does seem like to emphasize on how it will be more difficult than Demon's Souls

"Demon's Souls was leaning more towards the swordplay, but now we're putting a little bit more weight on the exploration. It's about allowing the player to experience discovery."

I hope this means more treasures or armors

Zzoram

canova said:
A lot of developers or publishers should take note on this. The sequel doesn't have to be groundbreaking or rebooted to appeal to new fans, on the contrary the sequel SHOULD GIVE BACK to the existing fanbase who have been supporting the previous game.
Blizzard gets shit on all the time by the game media for giving fans what they want.

Diffense

I think it's pretty awesome how these guys are focused on the fans.
No abandoning the folks who supported the first game to chase a wider audience.

I got interested in DS thanks to neogaf and the ridiculously long OT but haven't played it.
The sequel is definitely on my radar now.

Canova

Banned
Zzoram said:
Blizzard gets shit on all the time by the game media for giving fans what they want.

Most of game media are bullshit, there are only a few legit ones

Diffense said:
I think it's pretty awesome how these guys are focused on the fans.
No abandoning the folks who supported the first game to chase a wider audience.

I got interested in DS thanks to neogaf and the ridiculously long OT but haven't played it.
The sequel is definitely on my radar now.

DS community has been great. Lots of camaraderie and sportsmanship between the players. At its height, there were PvP tournaments organized by the players, even cross-site tournaments like Atlus group vs Wiki group vs GameFAQ group.

Top Bottom