• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls - New Trailer - 2011 Worldwide [Update 2: Video Interview In OP]

Raide

ezekial45 said:
Yeah, i would've love to see that actually put into Demon's Souls. Hopefully they'll use all the ideas they had for it in this game.

Borderlands has done really well by expanding the game and the audience by adding more content via DLC. If they want Dark Souls to do well, they need to plan to extend its life past the first few months.

I will play the crap out of this game because it has loot in it. :D Add more loot = Me playing more.

Zzoram

Raide said:
Borderlands has done really well by expanding the game and the audience by adding more content via DLC. If they want Dark Souls to do well, they need to plan to extend its life past the first few months.

I will play the crap out of this game because it has loot in it. :D Add more loot = Me playing more.
They don't need DLC but it would sell. Demons souls kept chugging along for 2 years without DLC.

Zeliard

DLC for a game like Demon's Souls (and undoubtedly Dark Souls), a title already very high in quality and filled with both content and re-playability, is something I wouldn't mind paying for if it actually added proper value for the cost.

Though even then I'd probably only buy the bigger, more substantial stuff. I can't bring myself to pay extra money for things like additional armor and weapon sets or whatever. All of that is precisely what should already be in the game, and EA is showcasing some of the worst of the practice with Dragon Age.

teepo

Raide said:

i like the fact that demon soul's didn't have that much loot in comparison to similar titles. it allowed more focus for the type of items that were in the game.

even with over 100 type of weapons, they said they wanted to each weapon to perform differently. I'm sure there will be alot of stuff, but won't have a random weapon generator like Borderlands have.

Raide

Cloudius12 said:
even with over 100 type of weapons, they said they wanted to each weapon to perform differently. I'm sure there will be alot of stuff, but won't have a random weapon generator like Borderlands have.

100 types sounds like a huge amount really. They just need to have plenty of item drops so players can craft more gear and weapons.

DLC really should be new content. New zones with new bosses and even more challenge. Some Colosseum mode where you play all the bosses or hordes of monsters would be awesome too.

Canova

Banned
PvP kept Demon' Souls servers busy for so long.

I hope they provide some kinda special room and match-making for PvP-ing. 1 on 1 or even 3 on 3

soldat7

Eurogamer said:
"This map is extremely dangerous. You get burned if you step on the lava," said Miyazaki. Seeing as the entire ground beyond the spot our man was stood on appeared to be made of said lava, it was hard to see how he was supposed to progress.

We didn't get to find out. "There are a few bugs, so from a developer standpoint it's also very dangerous," said Miyazaki, swiftly moving on to another level.

rofl

I think this hasn't been posted yet but, taken from Andriasang:

Dark Souls in Dengeki
Dengeki has its first report on Demon's Souls spiritual successor Dark Souls this week. Here's a bit of what's shared in the magazine:

The game will have magic which can change you into "objects." When other players come attacking, you'll want to change into object form to hide.
The game will not have voice chat or free chatting, as these features would be minuses as they can potentially take you away from feeling like you're in the story.
You'll find that the various weapons have very precise differences in motion. If you get a powerful weapon, the motion will be different from your current weapon, which could take some getting used to. Because of this, they expect that some players will continue to use the weaker weapons that they've gotten used to, and so they're adjusting the game balance so that these players will be able to clear the game.
For Japanese readers, Famitsu.com has posted a complete version of the interview with Dark Souls director Hidetaka Miyazaki that appeared in Weekly Famitsu last week.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The game is also now content complete and has been in development for two years, which means they started as soon as Demon's Souls shipped in Japan.

AndriaSang said:
More on Dark Souls

A few more bits from Dengeki's interview with Dark Souls' director Hidetaka Miyazaki:

* It's been two years since development started. The individual data elements have been completed, and from here on out, they will be improving the quality of the play experience. This is the main part, says Miyazaki.
* They're taking care to make sure the game design isn't just reactive. They want players to observe, learn, invent and strategize.
* Miyazaki assures that the game won't go gold until he, someone who's not all that great at action games, can clear it.
Source: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/02/08/flying_get_mega/

hopefully they don't disable party chat when there really is no reason to.

if people don't want to use it, cool, but it would be lame to disable features i pay for.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
* Miyazaki assures that the game won't go gold until he, someone who's not all that great at action games, can clear it.
Hmm? What happened to "It will be harder than Demon's Souls"?

Gorgon

Yoshichan said:
Hmm? What happened to "It will be harder than Demon's Souls"?

What did you expect? A game where only a few chosen players could possibly finnish? Obviously no matter what the difficulty is it has to be approachable to everyone that is interested in the game, or else it would be one of the most retarded managment decisions in gaming's history.

It's not like he didn't finnish the first game.

Valkyr Junkie said:
Aren't they implementing some sort of respawn/checkpoint system? That would already make it easier IMO.
From what was said in interviews, it seems the respawn system is almost like the archstones in Demon's Souls, so depending on where they're located, it won't be a dumbed down experience, at all. I don't think you'll be able to set the beacon fire where you want, but only on specified locations. And only the limited area surronding the fire is safe, once you leave that area, you're bound to get pwned.

Roklie

Question: How much is Banda-Namco involved production-wise in the game or will they just publish it like they did with DS in Europe?

BobTheFork said:
They meant the ps3 version has no voice chat :p
I don't care too much about that but FFS please make it easier to team up with people we WANT to team up with.
why? this isn't meant to be a play-with-your-buddies kinda game. there's enough of those.

how Demon's Souls handled co-op was perfect, you could play with a friend if you just do it smart and have the other one place his or her summon/soul sign somewhere other players aren't likely to look. it was fun to coordinate, and the whole system fit in with the game's style. also it was exciting as hell waiting for a friend to drop his soul sign, knowing that you can be invaded any second :D had some very thrilling moments i've never had in any other game.

so PLEASE no easy invite system.

GeekyDad

canova said:
He means that it will be difficult but fair. Difficulty that requires strategy, not just ninja reflex

Which, to me, describes Demon's Souls well. Trust me, I'm more of the strategic type than someone with twitch reflexes. Demon's Souls was 99 percent about stamina management.

Will Namco also be publishing this in the States? It will be a shame if Atlus doesn't get a hold of the U.S. publishing rights. They have done a bang up job of supporting DS. I would love to see what they do with this game. Either way, it's an instant pre-order for me. I almost feel like I owe Atlus more money considering the amount of time and enjoyment I got out of DS.

Eliciel

just release the goddamn game.... it's meant to be played right nowd, because it's freaking awesome. I need it..

Canova

Banned
BobTheFork said:
They meant the ps3 version has no voice chat :p
I don't care too much about that but FFS please make it easier to team up with people we WANT to team up with.

sorry, but Miyazaki sez no to that. He wants to keep the feeling of solitude, that you're just a lone stranger in Boletaria

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/projectdark/news.html?sid=6298175&mode=previews&page=2

GS: Do you have more choice in whose game you play if you join in cooperative mode than in Demon's Souls? Is voice chat possible if you team up with a friend?

HM: In terms of ways to cooperate, the number of variations has increased from Demon's Souls. But as a basis, we want to make sure that players use the network to share their experiences. There's no concept of friends, or there's no concept of voice chat. Each player will play their role in the world and there will be a way to contact each other within the game. But the obvious concept of it is not to hold hands with somebody, obviously.

The network feature for this game is designed to enhance the single-player mode. It's designed so that players playing single-player will be able to have that [new game plus] effect when playing the game. And that's something that's original for this game.

There are lots of games out there that allow people to play multiplayer or play with friends or voice chat, but that's not what we're trying to provide the user. I understand people may want multiplayer mode or people may want voice chat. But for this game, because we are trying to achieve an original sort of game standard, we have deliberately not put in any voice chat. And, again, the network system is not to support multiple people at the same time but to enhance the single-player mode.

This guy is still not compromising, he doesn't follow trends. I love him

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Don't know if anyone has posted this yet, or if anyone cares, but I am playing through tower of latria and the wheels with the dead bodies on them are in the bloody swamp area. They aren't enemies, but I thought it was interesting.

Zeliard

canova said:
sorry, but Miyazaki sez no to that. He wants to keep the feeling of solitude, that you're just a lone stranger in Boletaria

The man gets it. It's terrifying to think of what most other modern devs would have done with Demon's Souls multiplayer.

Canova

Banned
Zeliard said:
The man gets it. It's terrifying to think of what most other modern devs would have done with Demon's Souls multiplayer.

yeah he definitely gets it. I just read his bio. He's only been in the gaming industry for about 6 years

canova said:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/projectdark/news.html?sid=6298175&mode=previews&page=2

This guy is still not compromising, he doesn't follow trends. I love him
The problem is that you could still just team up with your friends, it was just a huge pain in the ass. If it's going to happen anyways they could just have it as an option and people could choice to do it or not (like they can now), but leave out the extra hoop jumping. It's way more fun to me when I can triumph with my crew, or just laugh at them as they die.

canova said:
yeah he definitely gets it. I just read his bio. He's only been in the gaming industry for about 6 years

Yea, fascinating how that works. He's got amazing ideas and doesn't compromise. I seriously had no idea he was such a newcomer. How good he must feel.

I admire that transition he made. Desolation, solitude, exactly what I want to be feeling when I play FROMsoft fantasy games.

I'm not sure if it was luck but I almost always was able to co-op with friends, what are the issues some people have faced here? I'm curious.

oracrest

canova said:

He does the one thing that most great developers do, which is draw inspiration from his life experience, rather than other games.

If it wasn't for that one snow blizzard in Japan, the multi-player would be totally different for the series.

Zzoram

Ratrat said:
I wonder how many Demon's Souls reviewers actually finished the game.
Yahtzee and Destructoid I know, couldn't.
The reviewers that beat it gave it high scores. The ones that didn't gave it bad scores or just passed on it.

Yaweee

Zzoram said:
The reviewers that beat it gave it high scores. The ones that didn't gave it bad scores or just passed on it.

Around 80% of the reviews were over 85% scores. There's no way that many actually beat it within the time alloted for their review.

Zzoram said:

What a shame... But yes, that's how it went.

I'm starting to get excited for co-op with new and old fans alike :D Such great times helping people and experiencing the game.

oracrest

DanDeschain said:
Oh god the wait is going to be unbearable.

3328387724_8919d0ca20.jpg

Sorry, but this made me laugh.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
GeekyDad said:
Which, to me, describes Demon's Souls well. Trust me, I'm more of the strategic type than someone with twitch reflexes. Demon's Souls was 99 percent about stamina management.

Will Namco also be publishing this in the States? It will be a shame if Atlus doesn't get a hold of the U.S. publishing rights. They have done a bang up job of supporting DS. I would love to see what they do with this game. Either way, it's an instant pre-order for me. I almost feel like I owe Atlus more money considering the amount of time and enjoyment I got out of DS.
yes Namco will be publishing the game in the States

Victrix

*beard*
This is my most anticipated game by a large margin

It would take something like the announcement of an all new AAA Matsuno game to approach my levels of anticipation for this game. Love love love DS.

Top Bottom