• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating-Age |OT5| Halp me pls. In the bathroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
On behalf of my friend:

I'll echo things others have pointed out:
1) If he liked her he should have asked her out. If she "needed time," but chose someone else when she was not interested in dating your friend.
2) Making a federal case out of it at work was selfish and unfair. It isn't his fucking business who she dates, and spreading this nonsense around at work is rude.
3) She went on a single date with someone, and he lost his shit? Jesus, tell your friend to get a grip.

He's all the things we talk about not being - over invested in one woman and incredibly outwardly jealous. It's not a good look.

Pretty much this right here. Sorry, Chewie, not every woman who is nice is interested in you.

Yeah, sounds like she just made a quick joke. This is a normal, non-romantic human interaction. It's OK - you'll learn better what is flirtation and what is not, but there will always be questions. The best thing is to not care either way. If you like her, keep chatting with her and ask her out. The answer is irrelevant, really.

Edit: What the Akuma guy above me said

No, I generally assume that most women I come into contact with or talk with don't want to have sex with me. That was out of the blue, and it did seem like she was perhaps flirting a bit, so it raised my confidence a bit.

I blew it either way, but that's my fault.

I don't normally talk to women, or have conversations with them like that.

I would say that you should start practicing. Just have normal, non-flirtatious conversations with women as much as you can. Get over that fear. They're just people!

vitacola

I would say that you should start practicing. Just have normal, non-flirtatious conversations with women as much as you can. Get over that fear. They're just people!
Hmm, I don't think that this is the key. At least for me. I have no problem talking to other women I don't feel attracted to, but as soon as I talk to one who flirted with me, I turn into an idiot and lose all my confidence and eloquence ...

Hmm, I don't think that this is the key. At least for me. I have no problem talking to other women I don't feel attracted to, but as soon as I talk to one who flirted with me, I turn into an idiot and lose all my confidence and eloquence ...

Well, in his case he doesn't seem to be able to talk to ANY women. But for you, it's about not giving a shit whether she likes you romantically or not. The only way to do that is to not be too invested in any woman and to be talking with multiple women at any time (in a romantic way). That way, if you strike out with the one you're in a conversation with, it's no big deal. Takes time, but well worth it.

I have a hard time talking to attractive women when I'm out, and I tend to avoid attractive cashiers/whatnot. I'm awkward, quiet, have low self-esteem, etc.

I do most of my courting (lack of a better term) online, and have never really hit on women in bars. I don't go to them much, though, because I don't enjoy them. I'm better when I'm drunk, but still.

I tell people I'm shy, but I somehow do decently well during dates. I don't know if it's because I have to, or if I just force myself, or what.

Llyranor

So what if they're attractive?

Do you think they're going 'look at that ugly guy, how dare he go near me? I hope I don't get his ugly stench on me" in their head? They're just normal people.

Two things to bear in mind:
1) If they DON'T look down on you, their attractiveness doesn't matter. So why be nervous?
2) If they DO look down on you for some BS superficial reason, they are crap people and you don't need to be nervous around them, because their opinion on anything is worthless to you.

Using OkCupid quickmatch and I get no likes back :( I get profile views from cute girls, that's about it. And about Fetlife, I jumped to some rapid conclusions there, there are quite a few really hot (and crazy in bed!) chicks there if you take the time to look.

Armadilo

Banned
Wow, i asked the barista for her number and shes engaged! :( i'm embarrassed , she was cool and today she said that she likes dark souls and video games are her thing. Uhhh... sigh...

Using OkCupid quickmatch and I get no likes back :( I get profile views from cute girls, that's about it. And about Fetlife, I jumped to some rapid conclusions there, there are some really hot (and crazy in bed!) chicks there if you take the time to look.

Got to put in the effort yourself and actually message them. I only use the quickmatch feature as a way to tag girls I want to comeback to and message later.

Wow, i asked the barista for her number and shes engaged! :😥😥 embarrassed , she was cool and today she said that likes dark souls and video games are her thing. Uhhh... sigh...

On to the next one, bro. At least you asked her! That's a huge step. Keep it up.

Llyranor

Why are you embarrassed? She's probably just flattered.

And don't obsess over her playing videogames. Common interests can play a pretty minor role in compatibility.

So now you know. You can properly move on. That's great!

Using OkCupid quickmatch and I get no likes back :( I get profile views from cute girls, that's about it. And about Fetlife, I jumped to some rapid conclusions there, there are quite a few really hot (and crazy in bed!) chicks there if you take the time to look.

Why don't you message the girls who view your profile?

Unless something changed, you have to pay to see who likes you. So if someone views your profile, just say hello and see where it goes.

Wow, i asked the barista for her number and shes engaged! :😥😥 embarrassed , she was cool and today she said that likes dark souls and video games are her thing. Uhhh... sigh...

There's nothing to be embarrassed about here. You did what most wouldn't, you took a shot, so so what if it didn't pan out.

At least you didn't waste any more time than necessary overthinking this. Now get back out there.

I was like super awkward, like i usually get..i dont know man.she was cute, loved video games and knowing all that fuck.. whoever that guy is, hes lucky

I'll echo the other guy's statement that it doesn't matter that you both like video games - having that in common really isn't important.

Unless it's Fibbage.

gwailo

Banned
I was like super awkward, like i usually get..i dont know man.she was cute, loved video games and knowing all that fuck.. whoever that guy is, hes lucky

Knowing all what? That she likes games? Big deal. There are 7+ billion people on the planet, chances are there's a few women that play video games. She is just being nice and making chit-chat because she is in a customer service job that gets tips. Don't read so much into it.

bluethree

I don't want to come across as rude/make assumptions, but usually younger people tend to care that much more about shared interests...I think usually as you get older you stop caring about that and more about if your personalities match, shared values, etc. Not having hobbies in common isn't really a big deal imo, though it IS a bonus.

When I was in my early 20s there was nothing that would get my attention more than a girl liking games...now, none of the girls I've been on dates with in the past couple of months or so are gamers, and I couldn't care less.

Still, good on you for asking!

Ultima_5

Who gives a shit if she likes video games? She might be awful to be around. Don't put strangers on a weird pedestal duder

Armadilo

Banned
I visited her twice,first time to chat, second time because i wanted her number, so i actually went back to do it

Later after all that i went to talk to this girl who I sometimes see and introduced myself to her

Armadilo

Banned
You are doing better than like 50% of the people in this thread already :p

I think i was in some adrenaline rush, with a fuck it attitude and mentality. I was like whats your name ? We introduced each other and she asked where i work at and i left- maybe i fucked up and should of asked for her number ..i don't know

Or she lied to you because you tried to pick her up at her place of business.

Not saying this is necessarily the case, but I can certainly see how baristas could be wary of attracting stalkers.

Armadilo

Banned

Not saying this is necessarily the case, but I can certainly see how baristas could be wary of attracting stalkers.

Don't know man, i wish it was a lie but its over. As soon as she told me she was engadged, i tried to turn the subject to us just hanging out instead. Instead of her number, just facebook

Oddly specific to mention she's engaged if this was the case. She could have just said she had a boyfriend.

Cudder

Don't know man, i wish it was a lie but its over. As soon as she told me she was engadged, i tried to turn the subject to us just hanging out instead. Instead of her number, just facebook

She told you she was engaged and you still pushed the conversation so you could "hang out" with her? lmao

Armadilo

Banned
She told you she was engaged and you still pushed the conversation so you could "hang out" with her? lmao

what ....yeah... i know I shouldn't of said that but... fuck....lol ...I just said what came to my head and what not... yes i should probably feel embarrassed for doing that....uhhh but in the end ... it's not the same and she's just my coffee girl... :( but i like her and she's pretty cool, so maybe just someone cool to talk to

I think i was in some adrenaline rush, with a fuck it attitude and mentality. I was like whats your name ? We introduced each other and she asked where i work at and i left- maybe i fucked up and should of asked for her number ..i don't know

Yeah, see that's the whole stalker thing I'm talking about. Should've just said "oh, ok, no problem" then let it go after she said she wasn't available. Pushing a hang out based on absolutely nothing after knowing they're in a relationship is weird.

what ....yeah... i know I shouldn't of said that but... fuck....lol ...I just said what came to my head and what not... yes i should probably feel embarrassed for doing that....uhhh but in the end ... it's not the same and she's just my coffee girl... :( but i like her and she's pretty cool, so maybe just someone cool to talk to

Live and learn.

Don't beat yourself up over it. Just do better next time :)

Armadilo

Banned
When you ask a girl for her Number but she tells you she's Engaged......
image.php

lol

Awkward yeah. But like dude has more balls than 99% of people in this thread so I am willing to overlook it. He's gonna get a W eventually so I don't really get what the LOLs are for :/ At least he went for what he wanted.

It's really not that hard. Just prepare yourself for potential disappointment.

The chances of you getting a number increase with every person you ask...there's nothing to worry about, chances are if it's a random person you'll never see them again anyway, so why not take a chance?

I'm Scandinavian. We don't roll like that.

g2DQgr5.jpg

There's like the same 7 girls on OKCupid who I have 70%+ compatibility with, and they're all... not great. I got back on Tinder, at least there you have some guarantee a girl's interested somewhat (enough to drunkenly swipe right on a picture of you).

Speaking of which, does it take a while to get into 'circulation' on Tinder? Like, there's got to be SO many guys on there compared to girls.

Armadilo

Banned
Yup. I wish I had his balls

So on the second try/visit I had my second coffee and was sitting down on the chair when I looked at her and I was like "Just Do It!" in my head and got up and asked her when the opportunity was right. Everything else happened and that rush. To me asking her to meet up thing was me trying to not make myself feel rejected. Don't know if i explained it right, yeah I could of left it as "oh, its ok" and just move on.

But I got something out of this, I would say. But I'll learn for next time and just confidence is what I got. The confidence of not just stopping there but to keep going and ask that other girl as soon as I was rejected. Today was not bad. Possibly two girls are maybe thinking of me, I'm awkward and shy.

I don't think that's just who I am, I'm just a goofy dude.

I have a hard time talking to attractive women when I'm out, and I tend to avoid attractive cashiers/whatnot. I'm awkward, quiet, have low self-esteem, etc.

I do most of my courting (lack of a better term) online, and have never really hit on women in bars. I don't go to them much, though, because I don't enjoy them. I'm better when I'm drunk, but still.

I tell people I'm shy, but I somehow do decently well during dates. I don't know if it's because I have to, or if I just force myself, or what.

Confidence is key mate. Confidence bordering on arrogance.

I'm short, overweight and early 30s. Yet I look a girl I like in the eye and make them laugh. That is the key.

Wow, i asked the barista for her number and shes engaged! :( i'm embarrassed , she was cool and today she said that she likes dark souls and video games are her thing. Uhhh... sigh...

Awesome, well done. Don't be embarrassed. You never know if you never ask.

Don't ask me about getting digits, haha.

However, with this new found confidence, I suggest you start trying to crack onto as many women as possible. Use this momentum to build your confidence and learn what works and what doesn't.

All those beautiful Swedish women with no one to talk to, my mind is about to explode. I might move there...

Keep in mind: the average Swedish male is a lot more handsome than most other places. Competition, in the looks department, is pretty fierce.

But yeah, having the social skills of a non-Swede might get you somewhere

darksunpr

So the girl I've been dating for the last month and a half just told me she has no time for a relationship, so its better if we stay friends. Feels bad man. Oh well whatever.

bluethree

Awkward yeah. But like dude has more balls than 99% of people in this thread so I am willing to overlook it. He's gonna get a W eventually so I don't really get what the LOLs are for :/ At least he went for what he wanted.

Yep, and if he keeps going for it he's eventually going to learn from his mistakes and tone down any potential awkwardness.

"What's it like to be an attractive woman?"

I've met very attractive women who were frustrated because they felt like they had the worst of both worlds. What hurts more is that no one will feel sorry for them (like how no one feels sorry for rich people).

They'd get approached a lot by arrogant guys flaunting their looks, money, status, etc. Treat her more like a trophy than a person. Big house + sports car + model-quality girlfriend. She was just another acquisition for his collection of status symbols.

They would not get approached by normal guys. "She's out of my league," "She gets creeps approaching her every day, I'd just be another one," etc. and talk themselves out of talking to her. Or if these guys do approach, they end up being overly fawning, awkward and make her uncomfortable.

So girls like that attract both extremes. Treated like property or like a goddess. Neither of which they wanted. After a while I think some of them develop a hard shell and just shut down all who approach, as a defense mechanism. Problem is they eliminate the good as well as the bad. That why I try not to be too stung if a really hot girl blows me off. That's probably her default reaction by that point.

Adding to that, they would see their less attractive, but still cute friends get into good relationships with caring boyfriends. "Why can't I have that, what's wrong with me?" they ask themselves. Some of them started to believe they themselves were ugly. "If I was pretty, I'd have guys talking to me or be in a relationship."

This is especially true if they weren't attractive when they were younger and never accepted their newfound beauty. They don't realize they've changed and blossomed. They didn't get attention when they were younger because they weren't attractive enough; but now it's the opposite and they don't get approached because they're too attractive.

Ironically, in my experience it was the cute (not stunning) yet "attainable"-looking girls that were most likely to already have a boyfriend, or a ton of potential suitors. The ones who knew how to flirt, listen, laugh and flatter guys. Who knew how to charm.

Guys would be captivated by them yet believe they had a chance with girls like that. I've seen objectively hotter women be baffled and jealous at how these cute girls would just run circles around them at attracting attention from guys. Charm is the girl version of game for guys.

The really gorgeous girls, there was a chance they were single. Most guys talked themselves out of approaching at all. Some of those girls seem cheered up that I would say hello and talk to them like a normal person.

On a side note, a lot of them seemed to yearn to make more friends (unless they were already social butterflies). They had a hard time making friends with girls, because other girls were jealous of their beauty and hated them. Girls didn't want their boyfriends/husbands to meet them either. While guys only wanted to hook up with them. I was surprised at how lonely some of them were.

Even taking the initiative and proactively giving their phone numbers to guys they were interested in, didn't always work. Some beautiful girls would struggle to get guys to call back. Mostly because guys thought they were too good to be true.

"There's no way she's interested in me. I'm just imagining it."

"I bet it's not even her real number. She probably gives out fake numbers all the time just to get guys to go away."

"Maybe she's crazy. Girls that hot only go for celebrities/rock stars/pro athletes/[insert alpha male]."

Everyone's got their struggles.

https://np.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/4apla7/what_is_it_like_to_be_an_attractive_woman/

I'm around five feet, eight. That's a serious detriment for me (although lack of balls is probably a larger problem)

A little off topic, but I was close to being Swedish.

I was adopted from Sri Lanka to Australia, however, most other children in my orphanage were adopted by Swedish families, including my biological sister.

So I think I probably benefited from not being Swedish due to my height and the weather (I hate the cold!).

I have found that my height is the biggest problem when meeting women. I have never made out with a women who was more than an inch taller than me. I have attempted but failed a few times.

Also, online dating is almost pointless for me as based upon my looks (as a Sri Lankan) I don't get much luck in Australia. Hence why I don't use dating sites or Tinder anymore.

My problem with keeping women is my absolute fear of commitment (which I wouldn't be surprised if it has something to do with being adopted subliminally)

Dryk

My problem with keeping women is my absolute fear of commitment (which I wouldn't be surprised if it has something to do with being adopted subliminally)
I think mine stems from my parents divorcing when I was like 7 or 8 years old and then watching them go through many, many shitty relationships until dad died and mum gave up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom