• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating-Age |OT5| Halp me pls. In the bathroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soi-Fong

After going through an emotional roller coaster a couple of years ago with an ex, I think I'm finally ready to try dating again. Only issue is, I graduated from college already and don't have any means to naturally come in contact with women (like work, classes, etc.) so I could approach them. Obviously I see strangers all the time but I'm too averse to it. There is is cute chick at the gym I go to and I've been meaning to strike up a conversation with but since I've been out of it for so long, I just feel awkward trying to put up a persona and ooze confidence without really wanting to, I just wanna have a normal conversation. However, I'm weird, like really weird. The type of jokes I make are situational and they can be funny, but conversation wise, I just don't know how to do it. Here's what I was going to say, and it honestly sounds like a horrible comedy movie:

She was cleaning a few of the equipments laid out and she (by the way kinda looks like Katy Perry, real talk) was cleaning something I was about to use. She told me to wait a second and I said alright, this was the opportunity to naturally talk to her since words started coming out of our mouths. Next thing you know the first thing I remember I used to do was compliment people and make a slight joke about requiring there services and that I pay handsomely. It ran like this in my head, "Hey, your pretty good at cleaning, mind coming over my place and clean it up for me?" Then I just wanted to smack myself in the face for even thinking up something like that, I just stayed shut and didn't want to look like an misogynistic idiot. I'm certainly not a misogynist but I can be an idiot an times. The whole reason I'm interested in her is cause obviously she's cute and we've shared a gesture and eye contact every now and then, maybe I'm just gassing myself up but I need something to hold onto!

Only strong quality I know I have is that I'm a really good listener. I'm a funny guy but I don't know how to get that edge, be a charmer, or make a conversation awkward... Any help?

There's so many things you can play around with the scenario you said. I would've made the joke with the current uproar with Ebola; I would've said something along the lines of, "Doing your part in Ebola prevention.. I approve." And see how they respond from there.

gaiages

Banned
Serious question I've always kinda wondered about: How do guys feel when/if a woman were to ask them out?

I've always felt that would seem off putting to a man, but then again I've never had the situation come up so I don't know how "acceptable" it is, heh.

Serious question I've always kinda wondered about: How do guys feel when/if a woman were to ask them out?

I've always felt that would seem off putting to a man, but then again I've never had the situation come up so I don't know how "acceptable" it is, heh.

There's this girl I know that's kinda really trying to put us on the track of becoming an item, and I must say I kinda like it.
No second guessing if she likes me or not, which is pretty helpful.

Hjod

Banned

I've been asked out by women before and personally I don't mind it. I think most guys appriciate it. Go for it!

I think it's nice. It's always nice when someone shows initiative, especially for something that's hard for most. I think I usually give someone more of a chance than usual when that happens.

Malvolio

I think it's nice. It's always nice when someone shows initiative, especially for something that's hard for most. I think I usually give someone more of a chance than usual when that happens.

Totally agree. Confidence is sexy coming from either sex. Just got asked out this week and even though I'm not completely sure I would have asked this girl out myself, the fact that she took the initiative makes me want to know more about her. Knowing that she is attracted to me already makes me feel like we can jump ahead a few steps and really get to know each other.

It's fantastic.

If you're ex tells you she still loves you but clearly she's moving on and starting to see someone, is it worth fighting for? I don't wanna give up on this one until Ive done everything :/

Sometimes people say stuff to make us feel better. It may not even be totally a lie, it's possible to still care for someone and yet not want to be with them. However her saying that doesn't mean that she wants to be with you or that you should 'fight' for her. Clearly she is moving on with things and that should be a pretty clear indication that you should too.

First off, you need adult hobbies. Being a gamer is nice but you can't define yourself based on games and cartoons. Society expects you to "grow up" at some point. I've taken up tons of things I didn't have a natural interest in in order to boost my social presence and awareness. These things include: drinking wine, caring about classical music more than I want to, being more politically in-tune, and having an interest in pretty much anything people around me are doing. All the people in my life that I want to appeal to do not give a shit about video games. I've learned to adapt. You must as well. Do you know what this also does for me? Lets me talk about anything when it comes to a date.

I don't think it's really necessary to take up hobbies that you don't enjoy. I do however agree that expanding your horizons and finding more hobbies is always a good thing.

I think in general gaming is a 'safe' hobby. It isn't a coincidence that hobbies like it are so appealing to socially awkward, shy or just introverted people (i should know i was like that for a long time). It's safe, you don't have to worry about pleasing anyone and it's easy to sit back, relax and enjoy it. It gives you instant gratification and you can feel immersed and forget about everything. Not to mention that you can get your dose of social interaction without having to actually put yourself out there.

Now that's not a slight on gaming as a hobby. I love games and i'll always be a gamer. I just think that having hobbies or interests outside of gaming is very important to growing as a person (and not so much for impressing other people). Slowly over time i've started doing more things and picked up new hobbies and i'm now a much more well rounded and confident person. I look back at myself from a few years ago and it's like i'm a different person. I'm much happier now and that isn't because i can impress people more easily.

I must stress though that whilst i encourage people to step outside of their comfort zones you shouldn't be forcing yourself to do something you don't like. Give things a try and you might find something you like but if you don't there is no harm in just trying something else.

stn

It's safe, you don't have to worry about pleasing anyone and it's easy to sit back, relax and enjoy it. It gives you instant gratification and you can feel immersed and forget about everything. Not to mention that you can get your dose of social interaction without having to actually put yourself out there.
This is basically all I was saying. We all like or love gaming to varying degrees. But its definitely not a good hobby if you want to be truly social. Lots of people shelter themselves through things like gaming, internet, and they therefore lack face-to-face social experience. Its one of the reasons why online dating is so appealing to some, for example.

I'm going on a fifth date tomorrow with this girl I've been seeing for 3 weeks. However, I'm having trouble escalating with her in terms of physical contact (e.g. hand holding). She's pretty shy, so I'm not sure how comfortable she is with it. Would it be weird if I asked her about it? FWIW, we've kissed already.

Valus

I'm going on a fifth date tomorrow with this girl I've been seeing for 3 weeks. However, I'm having trouble escalating with her in terms of physical contact (e.g. hand holding). She's pretty shy, so I'm not sure how comfortable she is with it. Would it be weird if I asked her about it? FWIW, we've kissed already.

I wouldn't ask unless it was something strange. If she's shy, then it's up to you to lead the way. Rub her leg during a movie, see if she puts her hand on yours. Wrap your arm around her when you're walking together. Always hug with both arms. Force physical interraction and if she doesn't like it she'll let you know. That's when you can question it.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Halp plz. Stuck in Walmart shopping with girlfriend.

Currently with Blue Hair shopping for yoga pants. She's spending the whole week with me and it seems all my concerns were pretty silly.

I'm glad I didn't let my shit run away with me. Thanks guys.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

I've never had a problem with it. It's nice to feel wanted. :D

Of course, this has only happened to me like twice I think, so take that how you will.

Simplifies life so much more. I wish more women would do this if they were interested in a guy. I had a female friend who refuses to ask guys out because she feels the guy should make the first move. I told her this is some stupid shit, if you like the person then you initiate. Of course it fell on deaf ears. She's still single for reference.

If after 3 weeks she doesn't even want to let you hold her hand I would considering whether you're going to be okay with low levels of physical contact. Don't talk about it because in my experience, once you give life to an issue like this it gets worse immediately where as there may have been no problem if you left it alone for a bit. Just feel it out for a date or two more and if she doesn't want any physical interaction at all then I suggest you bail. I can hug, throw my arm around and hold hands with friends who I'm not romantically involved with at all, I would not be okay with not being able to bare minimum hold hands with the girl I'm seeing. That's just me though.

Oblivion

Simplifies life so much more. I wish more women would do this if they were interested in a guy. I had a female friend who refuses to ask guys out because she feels the guy should make the first move. I told her this is some stupid shit, if you like the person then you initiate. Of course it fell on deaf ears. She's still single for reference.

Is she hot?

Pons

Neo Member

Currently with Blue Hair shopping for yoga pants. She's spending the whole week with me and it seems all my concerns were pretty silly.

Good to hear, I keep telling you to slow your roll...and in the immortal words of Aaron Rodgers " R - E - L - A - X , Just Relax"

Horseticuffs

Good to hear, I keep telling you to slow your roll...and in the immortal words of Aaron Rodgers " R - E - L - A - X , Just Relax"
It's easy to get your head stuck up your own ass sometimes, man.

Now this fucking cheat week is going to kill me. I'm gonna have to bring the fitness hard to get my shit back under control.

NeOak

You should have posted from the Walmart's bathroom!

gaiages

Banned
Awesome everyone, thanks so much for the answers! :) I gotta say, it certainly gives me a confidence boost in actually asking a guy out; I always thought that a guy might think you're being pushy is the girl asks him first. Thanks again.

Coda

I went on a date last night and we seemed to gel pretty well but it seems like my dates keep turning into the same thing over and over again with me ending up saying the same things about myself. Kind of just sick of explaining myself to someone when I'm hoping they'll just magically understand me. I've encountered it before in the past where there's this instant connection, I just feel like it hasn't been happening for me lately.

Gamerloid

Alright, I've finally taken an interest in dating. I have no background whatsoever. No dates, kiss, nothing. As I said, I didn't care to partake in such things and would rather just enjoy myself instead or relationship troubles that you more than likely will deal with as a teenager.

Not sure if I need help in a position I'm in, but I do have a quick question. How do you go about finding out if someone is already in a relationship? When would you do such a thing?

Unbounded

It makes life so. Much. Easier.

Makes the girl appear more attractive since I know she actually has some level of guts to actually come up to me in the first place, takes away all the worry of if she likes me or not, and there's way, way less pressure on me to try to "woo" her or anything.

It just makes everything way, way easier on me which is a fantastic treat.

Same thing happened to me. I had a crush on a girl, we started talking a lot online and she eventually asked me to meet up. Turns out she had a crush on me for a long while too. I didn't expect it at all because I'm not even good looking (overweight!). Not to mention she's insanely pretty, and had so many people wanting court her. To this day she still gets random dudes on the bus asking for her number.

One of the first things she liked about me was that she thought I was a nice guy and that I don't like drinking and I absolutely hate smoking. I can only drink 1 bottle of light beer at a time and I will never ever try a smoke.

Horseticuffs

One of the first things she liked about me was that she thought I was a nice guy and that I don't like drinking and I absolutely hate smoking. I can only drink 1 bottle of light beer at a time and I will never ever try a smoke.
That's awesome! I live a really healthy lifestyle. I eat right (Though have taken a break this week), and only have a beer or two a month, and HATE smoking and so does my girlfriend. It was one of the things that attracted us to each other because it seems like every other single person in our small, shitty town just loves to smoke and drink.

I was beginning to think I was never going to meet a girl who wasn't a really religious smoker that liked to drink.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Quick question GAF, will be really grateful if someone could answer it quickly.

A girl I like is coming over (we are going to cook and have dinner together) and for those following my posts, it's the same girl about whom I had said that was giving me mixed signals. Anyways, my question is, should I get dressed up real nice (like put some cologne, shave etc.) or just be groomed but wear normal cloths and no cologne etc. since I am at home. I want to look my best but she might clearly see that I like her as I will be all groomed while being at home.
What to do?

Edit: She just msged saying can't come. Has some work. Yupe, I guess I should bury all my hopes and move on. Kinda sad :(
Not to mention she works in the same office so it will be slightly weird for me. I will try to not let my sadness or frustration cloud over how I behave with her. What's the point.
And why say yes in the first place? Hell, I didn't even ask. She was the one who said she wanted to do this! I just said said I was going to cook and she said she wanted to join. I just don't understand!

Coda

Quick question GAF, will be really grateful if someone could answer it quickly.

A girl I like is coming over (we are going to cook and have dinner together) and for those following my posts, it's the same girl about whom I had said that was giving me mixed signals. Anyways, my question is, should I get dressed up real nice (like put some cologne, shave etc.) or just be groomed but wear normal cloths and no cologne etc. since I am at home. I want to look my best but she might clearly see that I like her as I will be all groomed while being at home.
What to do?

Edit: She just msged saying can't come. Has some work. Yupe, I guess I should bury all my hopes and move on. Kinda sad :(
Not to mention she works in the same office so it will be slightly weird for me. I will try to not let my sadness or frustration cloud over how I behave with her. What's the point.
And why say yes in the first place? Hell, I didn't even ask. She was the one who said she wanted to do this! I just said said I was going to cook and she said she wanted to join. I just don't understand!

It's probably a game man, she wants to see if you're actually really interested in her. Keep up the interest in her without being creepy and things will fall into place.

stn

In case she comes over in the future, definitely dress nice. Don't overdo it but put in the effort. As to the second part, just slow down. Give her time, space, and whatever else she needs. Maybe she really did have work? If she wants to pursue cooking at your place a second time, she will.

gaiages

Banned
Not sure if I need help in a position I'm in, but I do have a quick question. How do you go about finding out if someone is already in a relationship? When would you do such a thing?

Usually that stuff comes up in normal conversation, if you talk to the person in question a few times. If you're going to ask someone out cold turkey... I'm not really sure. I'd say either just ask if they're taken flat out or just ask them out, but someone might have a better answer in that regard.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
It's probably a game man, she wants to see if you're actually really interested in her. Keep up the interest in her without being creepy and things will fall into place.

In case she comes over in the future, definitely dress nice. Don't overdo it but put in the effort. As to the second part, just slow down. Give her time, space, and whatever else she needs. Maybe she really did have work? If she wants to pursue cooking at your place a second time, she will.

So basically I should behave just like I used to do earlier, as if nothing happened?

Also, should I ask her if she wants to cook with me, or basically breach the topic in any way? Or should I not bring it up at all and see if she brings it up? It might be a good indicator of whether she had actual work or if she was actually interested, right?

stn

So basically I should behave just like I used to do earlier, as if nothing happened?

Also, should I ask her if she wants to cook with me, or basically breach the topic in any way? Or should I not bring it up at all and see if she brings it up? It might be a good indicator of whether she had actual work or if she was actually interested, right?
Don't bring it up. Its her turn to reschedule the date.

I'm talking with my ex and see if we can find this fabled "open relationship" thing people talk so much about, cause the sex was great, it was just the relationship part that sucked.

Oblivion

Okay, peeps. Need some advice.

So I've been seeing this chick, who happens to be a cougar. We've met 3 times, the first for just coffee, followed by two "proper" dates. She's very nice and fun to talk to, but she's also really coy (or at the very least, acting that way). The first time we even kissed was on the 3rd meeting. It's made all the weirder cause she responds to my texts really quickly and always seems engaged (unlike the last chick I went out with who would give those annoying ass one word responses ever 40 mins). So I'm getting mixed signals here.

How should I approach this? I'm texting her right now and we're just shooting the shit.

NeOak

Okay, peeps. Need some advice.

So I've been seeing this chick, who happens to be a cougar. We've met 3 times, the first for just coffee, followed by two "proper" dates. She's very nice and fun to talk to, but she's also really coy (or at the very least, acting that way). The first time we even kissed was on the 3rd meeting. It's made all the weirder cause she responds to my texts really quickly and always seems engaged (unlike the last chick I went out with who would give those annoying ass one word responses ever 40 mins). So I'm getting mixed signals here.

How should I approach this? I'm texting her right now and we're just shooting the shit.

lol I wanted to give advice, but its kinda hard. I haven't dated a Cougar. I do know from the ones i've met that they know what they want and they don't do BS like some young girls.

lol I wanted to give advice, but its kinda hard. I haven't dated a Cougar. I do know from the ones i've met that they know what they want and they don't do BS like some young girls.

Older people in general have enough experience to know what they want without the Bullshit drama.

Oblivion

Should I confront her straight up on whether she's interested in dating or not? If so, what's the best way to approach it?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
What we are getting at is that you shouldn't beat around the bush. Just ask her and get it over with. There's no sense in dragging it out.

She bailed on you, as far as I'm concerned communication is now in her court. If she wants to have dinner with you, she brings it up, sets it up and is the mastermind behind it. You're gonna cook food at your house regardless of whether or not she comes so I don't see why you need to inform her again. She's aware you'll cook again (I hope).

giga

What's the protocol on knowing if you're exclusive or not? I've been "dating" a girl for the past month or so and we've had sex a few times, but we've never had the talk about if we're seeing (going on dates, talking with) other people too. Should that be automatically assumed once you're already having sex? Would it be unethical to go on dates with other girls too at this point?

Also, this part in the OP:

Be vocal about the things you like and the things you don't like. If you think it might be hurtful for your partner to know you'd like for them to do something different, then you're hindering your sex-life to be the way it should be.
I tried this the other night with her and got a BAD reaction. I expressed to her different things I like (and didn't like) and she thought I came off as too technical about sex. The problem started when she said that wasn't a fan of going down on me (sigh), so I started talking about other things we could do instead of just straight up missionary. That ended badly. I honestly was not aware that some women don't like giving oral. I always felt like it was a basic part of foreplay. How do I broach this subject without making her feel like a disappointment?

(And yes, I've gone down on her every single time and she loves it. She just won't reciprocate and said that it's never been an issue for any of her previous partners.)

Nyx

Seriously, why is it that 8 months after breaking up a 4 year relationship that was really ‘’done’’ I feel heartbroken when I notice that my ex has a new lover?

I’m 36 years old damnit, this shouldn’t hurt me at all, I mean she has every right to do whatever the fuck she wants, but the idea of some other guy with her now, sigh….

I now deleted her from every social media I had her on cause I really can’t seem to take it at this moment, while I feel like I would be ‘’a man’’ if I could be just happy for her or something…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom