• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Ayer, Margot Robbie Reteam for All-Female DC Villains Movie Gotham City Sirens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So I get that people see a film about three attractive women and go "Oh I bet this is all about staring at hot chicks," but I really don't think that's the intent of this film.

Like, let's look at the scenario here.

#1.) Suicide Squad's premier audience was 46% women, and they rated it better than men did: http://www.themarysue.com/suicide-squad-high-female-audience-turnout/

Regardless of whether or not the critics liked it, however, the fans are coming out in droves to support the movie with their dollars–and women made up 46% of Friday’s audience based on exit polls, which was reported as being something of a surprise.

Perhaps poll results have typically dictated otherwise based on the audience make-up of previous superhero movie installments, but women have definitely indicated that they’ve been supporters of the genre. Ryan Reynolds has said that they were among the biggest supporters of Deadpool in its early stages. The response of female audience members to Suicide Squad was also more positive overall, based on post-viewing polls. So… maybe it’s time to accept that women like superhero movies?

#2.) The movie was pushed for by Margot Robbie, who also selected the writer: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/margot-robbie-harley-quinn-movie-standalone-894486

Sources say that Robbie was the impetus for the project, adding that when she got the part for the movie, she dove deep into the comics to learn as much as possible about the character. In the process, she fell for DC’s female characters. She brought on the writer to help develop the project and brought it to Warners, which snapped it up.

#3.) As the OP of this thread points, said writer was a woman: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...robbie-reteam-all-female-dc-villains-project-

Geneva Robertson-Dworet, a top female writer in the action sphere who has also penned scripts for the Tomb Raider remake and Warners' own Sherlock Holmes 3, is writing the screenplay.

The heads of DC’s film arm, Geoff Johns and Jon Berg, will also be involved in a producorial role.

#4.) Harley Quinn is very popular among women, even among children: http://uproxx.com/movies/harley-quinn-halloween-costume-most-popular/

2016’s most popular Halloween costume was always going to be one of two things: Sexy Donald Trump, or a character from a comic book movie. Thankfully, it’s the latter — the former is too terrifying, even for All Hallows’ Eve. Google Frightgeist “pulled from the top 500 costume searches in the United States” to discover that Harley Quinn is, by far, the outfit you’re most likely to see on Oct 31.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ost-popular-halloween-costumes-2016/92350826/

Rubie’s Costume, Co., Inc. in New York, advertised as the world's largest designer, manufacturers and distributor of Halloween costumes, told USA TODAY superhero and Star Wars costumes are topping its sales with the exception of Paw Patrol characters climbing to the No. 1 spot for toddlers.

Children

Wonder Woman: A strong female character is Rubie’s top costume for girls, followed by characters Harley Quinn and Rey.

Adults

Harley Quinn (Suicide Squad): Harley is an extremely popular pick for adults and children this year, showing up on several top lists. It's a costume that lends itself to DIY, a trend Goodwill reported as on the upswing this year. Plus, who can resist the pink and blue dipped pigtails?

I think what people miss about her is that, while yes, she's a skimpy dresser, she's also an actual character who has an actual personality, flaws, and nuance about her. It also helps that she's a villain and doesn't feel totally pushed to the side, because you don't get a lot of either of those in that superhero genre. It's not like guys sit around wondering "How could guys ever like Walter White or The Joker!?!", the appeal of these characters is self evident, and it's not a very large leap to get to Harley and women.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
It's good they hooked a female writer, but I have no faith in Ayer not turning this thing into an embarrassing cheesecake factory. I hope I'm wrong, but SS is shot and edited like a 15 year old boy was calling the shots IMO.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
It's good they hooked a female writer, but I have no faith in Ayer not turning this thing into an embarrassing cheesecake factory. I hope I'm wrong, but SS is shot and edited like a 15 year old boy was calling the shots IMO.

Which is bizarre given that he shot, produced and wrote Fury.

I hope WB take their time with the project.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Which is bizarre given that he shot, produced and wrote Fury.

I hope WB take their time with the project.
I had a lot of issues with Fury from top to bottom, but yeah, it'a head and shoulders above SS.

Maybe there was studio meddling and this will be great. I dunno.

Ashhong

I had a lot of issues with Fury from top to bottom, but yeah, it'a head and shoulders above SS.

Maybe there was studio meddling and this will be great. I dunno.

He did End of Watch too correct? The climax of that movie was unreal. I don't know what happened with SS.

It was cut by a trailer company. A literal trailer production company that does nothing but trailers.

Pau

So I get that people see a film about three attractive women and go "Oh I bet this is all about staring at hot chicks," but I really don't think that's the intent of this film.
Unfortunately the reasoning for even putting Selina in the same team as the other two is basically that they're "hot bad girls" in Gotham. Selina was far more of a Robin Hood-esque vigilante than whatever Harley and Ivy were doing at the time and it felt super forced in the comic. I don't have much hope that it won't feel similarly forced here.

Unfortunately the reasoning for even putting Selina in the same team as the other two is basically that they're "hot bad girls" in Gotham. Selina was far more of a Robin Hood-esque vigilante than whatever Harley and Ivy were doing at the time and it felt super forced in the comic. I don't have much hope that it won't feel similarly forced here.

Perhaps they are united against a common enemy like say...Roland Dagget. Ivy and Harley wanna steal something for monetary gain while Selina sees him as an evil that the law cannot deal with. Make it a heist movie.

Ninjimbo

I hope it's a serious mood piece instead of another trope meandering blockbuster. I want Ayer to do what he did with the bar scene in SS and do it for two hours. Goddamn was that scene powerful. That tiny little scene pretty much sold me on Robbie's Quinn.

It showed me she was just acting the clown. She had a sense of how broken she was and, in her words, owned it.

No quips please. Make it for grown ups.

Pau

Perhaps they are united against a common enemy like say...Roland Dagget. Ivy and Harley wanna steal something for monetary gain while Selina sees him as an evil that the law cannot deal with. Make it a heist movie.
I still don't think Harley is someone Selina would ever work with willingly and she has her own supporting cast to help her with this stuff so it does kind of boil down to forcing these characters together.

Which is fine in theory as writers do that all the time, but I personally don't think Selina's interactions with the two are interesting enough to warrant it. Or the way they write the team up coming about usually means Selina gets written out of character imo.

For what it's worth, early rumors said it has female heroes in it as well. It's possible Birds of Prey get involved or at least Black Cannary has been heavily rumored.

For what it's worth, early rumors said it has female heroes in it as well. It's possible Birds of Prey get involved or at least Black Cannary has been heavily rumored.

Nothing in this world would make me happier than to add the Birds of Prey, but that's just another plate to try and keep spinning. Really hope they make their addition work, if they're still in at all.

I still don't think Harley is someone Selina would ever work with willingly and she has her own supporting cast to help her with this stuff so it does kind of boil down to forcing these characters together.

Which is fine in theory as writers do that all the time, but I personally don't think Selina's interactions with the two are interesting enough to warrant it. Or the way they write the team up coming about usually means Selina gets written out of character imo.

The problem is, when the Gotham City Sirens series started, they had a massive amount of history to delve into. All three characters have had loads of interaction, good and bad. To establish all that in one movie is going to be incredibly difficult. Even more difficult if they add the Birds of Prey.

I've never seen so many posts about how much money a movie made at the box office as SS on Neogaf. What is the obsession?

Cause despite the vast amount of people that disliked this movie (especially on the internet) it made money. Some use it to say people have shitty taste in films nowadays, some use it to say the movie wasn't as bad as people would lead you to believe. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

Dragun619

Yea, I can only hope they learned a lot from Suicide Squad, and that it'll lead them to make a better film this time around.

Is there any word if Batman appears? I wonder if that would add or hurt the film.

I can already imagine Batman just dropping in and ruining everything, forcing them to improvise, But I could also see inserting Batman could just end up as another distraction like Joker was in SS. Be like another selling point for WB.

How is this even possible.

The same thread title and all.

C8rlW8v.png

Look closer.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
N

The problem is, when the Gotham City Sirens series started, they had a massive amount of history to delve into. All three characters have had loads of interaction, good and bad. To establish all that in one movie is going to be incredibly difficult. Even more difficult if they add the Birds of Prey.

Just leave it to Ayer to bring that sense of history to the audience. I mean, look at how well he did that with Suicide Squad.

darklin0

Banned
I am sad this is gonna turn out terrible. I was really hoping to get Sirens one day but with the directors WB is using, I fear for the worst.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I didn't think Suicide squad was that bad, so i'm optimistic about this.

But i wish they would ditch the joker for the love of christ. I was actively rooting for him to have died in that helicopter crash in SS.

I always found Harley far more interesting on her own than just a two bit side kick of Joker.

In Injustice i actually cheered her other self on for being pro-active. And i was also happy that the original Harley was able to have a happier life when Joker died.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
This is what happens when Suicide Squad makes 3 quarters of a billion dollars. Even if its garbage and it only makes 500 mil its worth it.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I'll die if there's they put in "THIS IS IVY! SHE'S GOT MY BACK! I WOULD ADVICE NOT GETTING KILLED BY HER! HER PLANTS DIGEST YOU WHILE YOU'RE STILL ALIVE!"

DeathyBoy

Banned
I'll die if there's they put in "THIS IS IVY! SHE'S GOT MY BACK! I WOULD ADVICE NOT GETTING KILLED BY HER! HER PLANTS DIGEST YOU WHILE YOU'RE STILL ALIVE!"

Catwoman steals a carton of milk.

Gordon: The Hell is wrong with you people.
Catwoman: I'm a cat, it's what we do.

jelly

The hype for Geneva Robertson-Dworet rings a bit hollow. There isn't a lot to go on, she was sort of involved with giving more life to Transformers films leading to the Last Knight, Blacklist script Hibernation whatever that is, has Tomb Raider duties and Sherlock Holmes 3 in the pipeline. Jury still out on her to be honest.

scoobs

I'd like to see more of Margot Robbie dressed up as Harley Quinn. Or not dressed up. Really just want to see more Margot Robbie I guess.

Busty

Banned
Wait.

So now some are claiming that this Sirens film project is DIFFERENT from the "DC female ensemble" film project that Catherine Hodson is scripting.

There seems to be a lot of crossed wires here and I don't think any of it is Warners fault.

I suppose a female ensemble set in the DC universe lead by Batgirl could still work alongside this film.

I'll give Warner their due. They aren't pulling their punches when it comes to their DCU slate.

Ross61

Wait.

So now some are claiming that this Sirens film project is DIFFERENT from the "DC female ensemble" film project that Catherine Hodson is scripting.

There seems to be a lot of crossed wires here and I don't think any of it is Warners fault.

I suppose a female ensemble set in the DC universe lead by Batgirl could still work alongside this film.

I'll give Warner their due. They aren't pulling their punches when it comes to their DCU slate.

Wonder Woman, Gotham City Sirens, and Birds of Prey. John's and Berg tryna get shit done.

Nudull

Banned
Why on God's green earth would you give a Gotham City Sirens movie to David Ayer?

Why on God's green earth would you give a major, women fronted ensemble movie to David Ayer?

Why would you even give David Ayer another movie after Suicide Squad, and on top of that, how in the hell did he agree to work with you again after Suicide Squad?

Why do you make me question you so damn much, WB/DC?

I mean, I don't really know directors terribly well and I haven't seen any of the modern DC movies, but I know that I like the dynamic of Quinn + Ivy and I like catwoman, so seeing all three as leading ladies in a movie sounds like a winner to me.

Platy

Yes! Now adapt parts of this strip, Harleen by Nebezial and best movie ever.

I like how you think

Why on God's green earth would you give a Gotham City Sirens movie to David Ayer?

Why on God's green earth would you give a major, women fronted ensemble movie to David Ayer?

Why would you even give David Ayer another movie after Suicide Squad, and on top of that, how in the hell did he agree to work with you again after Suicide Squad?

Why do you make me question you so damn much, WB/DC?

A movie about women villains ? Why not call the dude who could only shoot harley's butt ?

Effect

Will Supergirl be in this?

The one rumor that's been going around, and might not even be true but we get so few Superman rumors and the ones we do get seem to get confirmed I think, is that Supergirl isn't showing up until the Superman sequel which is currently in active development. I personally would rather have Power Girl though.

I do hope if the Birds of Prey are in this they aren't formed. I want it to be the encounter(s) with the Sirens that makes the different members realize they work well together. I also agree with the idea they should go all out for this and include cameos by Wonder Woman and even Lois Lane. Black Canary is the character I want in this the most going up against Harley, etc.

Garlador

I actually greatly enjoyed Gotham City Sirens as a comic. I actually encourage everyone to give it a read. it's legit great.

... I also have no faith or hope that current DC Films can pull it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom