• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Film’s Jon Berg, Geoff Johns on Success of ‘Wonder Woman’ and Sequel Plans

Link.

Jon Berg and Geoff Johns are riding high. The two men, whose job is to oversee the DC film universe for Warner Bros., are basking in the glow of the critical and commercial success of “Wonder Woman.” Berg is a veteran producer whose credits include “Elf” and “Out of Time,” while Johns is deeply enmeshed in DC lore, having written for the likes of “Green Lantern” and “Aquaman” in addition to guiding the company’s television efforts.

They spoke with Variety about what’s next for “Wonder Woman,” their reaction to the poor reviews for “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” and “Suicide Squad,” and why there will be more female superheroes and villains in upcoming DC films.

Two quotes:
Will Patty Jenkins be back to direct the sequel to “Wonder Woman”?

Johns: Patty and I are writing the treatment right now. The goal is to make another great “Wonder Woman” film. I had a blast making it with Patty the first time. We’ve got a cool idea for the second one.
Given the success of “Wonder Woman,” do you expect to make more female-driven comic-book films?

Johns: We’ve got a lot of plans for our female characters just because they’re great characters. There are many wonderful elements to the DC Universe, and one of them is that we have the best female characters, heroes and villains, in the world. No one is going to beat Wonder Woman and Batgirl and Harley Quinn.

Ravek

Banned
So is Patty Jenkins not confirmed to direct the sequel? Question was dodged.

---

(Hopefully they'll take their time on the green screen and CGI in WW2.)

Interview was meh.

Pein

Banned
With Joss, he saw the master board, and he saw a “Batgirl” title and he said, “You guys seriously want to do ‘Batgirl’?” And we said, “Absolutely.” He said, “That’s my jam.”

I love that response lol.

VeeP

So is Patty Jenkins not confirmed to direct the sequel? Question was dodged.

Problem not confirmed yet. It's not really upto Geoff, so why wouldn't he dodge the question? It's up to the execs, and depends on how much Jenkins wants.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Captain Marvel is gonna make them all look like shit.

*runs*

you already know baby

giphy.gif

I love that response lol.

that is pretty great. i hope that movie happens, i think he'll knock it out of the park

DC really has a potential goldmine with their female characters that Marvel can't compete with. I'm glad to see them realize this. This new leadership is giving me some hope for the future. I've actually enjoyed all of the DCEU's efforts so far but realize they can do a lot better and it seem like they have acknowledged this as well.

JJH

I wonder how much say Johns had to Justice Leauge. I'm not a huge fan of Snyder by any means, but with Berg and Johns taking over the DCEU last year I can't help but feel just a tiny ounce of optimism towards it. Hope these reshoots and all these rewrites on other projects brings them to the quality that Wonder Woman had (credit to Jenkins and Gal though.)

jon bones

DC really has a potential goldmine with their female characters that Marvel can't compete with. I'm glad to see them realize this. This new leadership is giving me some hope for the future. I've actually enjoyed all of the DCEU's efforts so far but realize they can do a lot better and it seem like they have acknowledged this as well.

Iron Man was a nobody 10 years ago and now he's Batman-tier

it doesn't matter what the landscape looks like now, because soon The Wasp, Captain Marvel, Valkyrie & Phyla-vell as Quasar will be household names

She was great in Civil War II. I really hope they write her like that. Exactly. Like. That.

*eye twitches*

it doesn't matter what the landscape looks like now, because soon The Wasp, Captain Marvel, Valkyrie & Phyla-vell as Quasar will be household names

Iron Man also had 40 years of stories to build off of. It's not like they were just making a new character whole cloth.

DC definitely have Marvel beat when it comes to potential characters and teams that they can make movies out of.

Superflat

The early films may have been too dark in parts.

I wouldn't say too dark, but I'd say boring and dreary.

I can't watch MoS or BvS in one sitting anymore, but I'm still finding excuses to see WW in theaters. That movie just goes.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that 3 of those 4 character will not be household names.

Dyl

Variety also did an interview with Toby Emmerich, who took over as President & Chief Content Officer of WB in December 2016.

As one of his first priorities after taking the job in December, Emmerich has spent much of his time immersing himself in the world of DC Comics, in an effort to help the unit better compete with its highly successful rival, Disney’s Marvel.
Emmerich is eager to give the credit for the latest windfall to Johns and Jon Berg, the executives who oversee the comic-book films. He stresses that the success of “Wonder Woman” is more their doing, saying the film was deep into post-production when he took over at the studio. He believes the movie feels fresh because the “heart and humor” that director Patty Jenkins injected into the picture was a break from the downbeat superhero films that have been hitting multiplexes.
Emmerich says that Jenkins is already working on a “Wonder Woman” sequel. It won’t take place in World War I, as the first film did, but it will also likely be set in the past.
He’s also thinking of ways that DC can differentiate itself from Marvel projects, which tend to be family-friendly. Emmerich says he admires violent, irreverent and very adult comic-book movies such as “Logan” and “Deadpool.”

“I would be surprised if we didn’t at some point make an R-rated DC movie,” says Emmerich.
By the fall, Emmerich wants to move the Warner Bros. animation division and DC Comics into a central location with the rest of the production team.
http://variety.com/2017/film/features/toby-emmerich-warner-bros-dc-wonder-woman-1202471523/

Hopefully Jenkins will stay around for the sequel. She's a lot of the reason why the first worked as well it did anyway.

Iron Man also had 40 years of stories to build off of. It's not like they were just making a new character whole cloth.

DC definitely have Marvel beat when it comes to potential characters and teams that they can make movies out of.

Until recently though they haven't had the studio to back then up. They have more potential but WB was holding things back. Thank god WW was such a success.

Just like Black Widow and Scarlet Witch are now "household names?" Or Vision? Or Hawkeye?

kunonabi

*eye twitches*

Thor 3's lame version of Valkyrie isnt going to do jack.

Slaythe

Darkness has NOTHING to do with the movies being failures though....

That bothers me a lot that they think this was the problem, and not horrendous writing.

None of them got movies.
Neither did Harley Quinn though until Suicide Squad, which wasn't even *her* film. Arguably Harley was much more of a name than any of those listed even prior to that. It takes more than a cute little movie to make a superhero a household name

Joss's Batgirl is probably the first time since Man of Steel's trailers that I've been genuinely excited to see a DC film. I have wanted a good Batgirl film most of my life.

jon bones

Neither did Harley Quinn though until Suicide Squad, which wasn't even *her* film. Arguably Harley was much more of a name than any of those listed even prior to that. It takes more than a cute little movie to make a superhero a household name

Harley Quinn has been big with the Hot Topic crowd for years, that's true

lol @ the bolded though

Harley Quinn has been big with the Hot Topic crowd for years, that's true

lol @ the bolded though
Doctor Strange and Ant-Man got their own movies and neither of them are even on the same level as Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man in terms of recognition. Ant-Man even got a spot on AoU.

Darkness has NOTHING to do with the movies being failures though....

That bothers me a lot that they think this was the problem, and not horrendous writing.

Me too, but many people seem to think the same. I really doubt that was the reason people did not enjoy it.

It's a shame if DC movies basically get the same as most Marvel movies, even when I enjoy those.

Pau

could be worse, you could have Cyborg be your minority representative
I think it's crazy that we still think of 50% of the population as a minority, but yeah. On the other hand, my ethnic minority doesn't have a representative either. :(

7Th

All the best female Marvel characters are either in the X-Men, would be seen as DC knockoffs or are too niche.

All the best female Marvel characters are either in the X-Men, would be seen at DC knockoffs or are too niche.

They've got Ms. Marvel, but aside from her, pretty much.

Leaving out characters that Fox or Sony have the rights to, I'm not even sure who the next biggest female character they have is? Scarlet Witch? Crystal? Kate Bishop Hawkeye?

jon bones

I think it's crazy that we still think of 50% of the population as a minority, but yeah. On the other hand, my ethnic minority doesn't have a representative either. :(

:/

I hope so too and people will say she the greatest Superhero. lol

DCEU fans would eat up the fascism hero saddled with baggage, for sure

thankfully they'll blank slate her and charm her up for the MCU

Top Bottom