• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear friends, our PixelOpus adventure has come to an end

Damn, I don't know what to say. I'm at a loss of words since it was so sudden. :(

For those who don't know, Pixel Opus is a small team inside Sony's HQ in San Mateo that made beautiful artsy games like Concrete Genie and Entwined.

Update: IGN just got Statement from SIE about the closure of PixelOpus.

"PlayStation Studios regularly evaluates its portfolio and the status of studio projects to ensure they meet the organization’s short and long-term strategic objectives. As part of a recent review process, it has been decided that PixelOpus will close on June 2."

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
who-snoop-dog.gif

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Closing such a small studio that doesn't cost much seems very weird. Especially when your competitor has no plans to stop growing.

Pruning is a real thing. Resources, big or small, can be better spent on productive teams. They were likely years away from releasing a game that had no chance at moving the needle for PlayStation.

graywolf323

that’s a shame but not terribly surprised since what exactly have they done since Concrete Genie? I can’t find anything really since this nearly 2 years ago

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Never actually played concrete genie but from the trailers i always loved the artstyle.
I played it some whenever my kid got stuck. its an indie game through an through. not much in the way of combat. story is also standard childrens fair.

But its unique and frankly sony doesnt have any games like this. there is a reason why switch is so popular. nintendo has literally dozens of games for kids.

envyzeal

I hope they do, Media Molecule hasn't produced a single game I give two shits about. They need to either go or make some compelling games.

They're probably next in line if they don't come up with something economically viable

hemo memo

Gold Member
If Sony keeps trimming its more unique studios its going to end up with a library line up that is essentially just Ubisoft but good...

You can't accidentally stumble onto the next big thing if all your making is Assassin's Creed.
Sony already said the focus is too big to fail games. They abandoned indies and creative small-mid titles the moment Jim took leadership.

StereoVsn

that’s a shame but not terribly surprised since what exactly have they done since Concrete Genie? I can’t find anything really since this nearly 2 years ago

It's a small studio. It's only been 2 years since last game? Things take a while to make.

It's a shame, they made cool and creative small games. It makes sense to have these alongside big cinematic titles and GaaS.

That's the game I was looking towards. Hopefully another studio in SIE has also been working on said game and PixelOpus were just one of the other (much smaller, apparently) teams on the project. I hope that game isn't cancelled and maybe we get to see a reveal for it at the showcase this year (another update on DokeV would also be very welcomed).

Again always a bit saddening to see teams close down but I'm also guessing the PixelOpus members will most likely just join other PlayStation teams like Team Asobi, Insomniac, Media Molecule etc.

Devs Gone

Deal Gone

They're probably next in line if they don't come up with something economically viable

Really feel for these smaller 1P games that aren't the GOW/Spiderman/Horizon style experiences they should lean into leveraging them for PS+ sub & revenue growth with Day 1 releases. Maybe some of them can also get mobile releases, if that's what it takes to justify making them & releasing them.

Microsoft's getting a lot of things wrong these days but one thing I'll say Game Pass is actually good for, is giving some unique indie & smaller to mid AA games a space. I also like that MS themselves are willing to fund and put out games like HiFi Rush and Pentiment. Those are areas that seem to be their strengths, I can respect them for that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom