• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear friends, our PixelOpus adventure has come to an end

JaksGhost

Wonder what was happening internally. Congrete Genie was a nice and original game. With Sony aquiring a good amount of newborn studios, dont make much sense closing PixelOpus unless something was off.
If those newborn studios are already bearing fruit what’s the reason in keeping an old team that’s costing more and producing far less? They also weren’t a studio, but a team so they may just be dispersed within the PlayStation Studios family. Has any member of the team spoken out yet in regards to this?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Well that's funny. Because Concrete Genie is chocked full of cinematics.

It's almost as if fanboys, obsessives, and narrative pushers don't actually care about how games are, but how they look.

This "muh cinematic AAA" game shit is beyond tired at this point.

We get it, Protobyte. You are a Sony Fanboy who can't handle any mild criticism to the brand.

Seek help.

Concrete Genie had "cinematics", but it was not a cinematic game. It was a smaller sized platformer that focused more on gameplay than it did pushing a long-winded narrative. You can't honestly compare it to games like Uncharted 4, TLOU2, Spider-Man, and God of War and think that they are the same kind of game. The latter all have long-winded, slow and pointless sections where they continuously take away control and pad out the length. This isn't anything new and has been one of the core staples to Sony's first party AAA release design for over a decade now.

If you like it, then good for you! Plenty of folks are tired of it and enjoyed when games like Concrete Genie and Astrobot come out to actually give us something different.

Stop the persecution complex. It isn't a good look.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Here should have left a long time ago with the we believe in generations bullshit.
Go back and read the full quote in context please. Then you'll realise how utterly wrong your comment is. Will you even educate yourself to check it and admit youre wrong, likely not. The generations comment has been about advances in what the console and accessories can do, such as the leap forward in SSD and dualsense, not whatever shit you're piddling.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Go back and read the full quote in context please. Then you'll realise how utterly wrong your comment is. Will you even educate yourself to check it and admit youre wrong, likely not. The generations comment has been about advances in what the console and accessories can do, such as the leap forward in SSD and dualsense, not whatever shit you're piddling.
Yep,

Thanks to kyliethicc kyliethicc for the summary:

Also repeating myself too:

Sad to hear. I’ve played both the games they put out and they didn’t click with me, but it’s clear they had talent.

I wonder whether they’ll set up a new studio together in San Mateo.

I don't know why you are doing damage control. Everyone knew what he meant when he said that. It was a PR move against Xbox at the time for releasing cross gen titles. For example with GT7 was first announced it said only on PS5. That wasn't true. They had to pivot for any number reason to release many of their games cross gen now and they have egg on their faces. Especially Jim ryan. All the outlets at the time said the same thing. Now people are trying to change the narrative. Not gonna happen.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I don't know why you are doing damage control. Everyone knew what he meant when he said that. It was a PR move against Xbox at the time for releasing cross gen titles. For example with GT7 was first announced it said only on PS5. That wasn't true. They had to pivot for any number reason to release many of their games cross gen now and they have egg on their faces. Especially Jim ryan. All the outlets at the time said the same thing. Now people are trying to change the narrative. Not gonna happen.
So you're knowingly spreading fud! Pathetic

Crayon

That's a social marketing story. Something isn't true just because enough muppets repeat it.

Concrete Genie was a lovely game, endearing.

Speaking of Shawn Layden , he comes across as a smart,cool fella imo. I wonder why he left Sony, I always felt him , Jack Tretton and Shu were the best PlayStation folk when it came to execs and how they come across in interviews.

Top Bottom