• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding criticized for calling asexuality a ‘sexless lifestyle’

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Death Stranding has been criticized for its depiction of asexuality, with the game calling it a popular “sexless lifestyle” and suggesting that it’s responsible for a dramatic decline in its world’s birth rate. The comments are made in an interview log titled ‘An Asexual World,’ which discusses the “increasing popularity” of asexuality among young people.

“A growing percentage of the younger cohort were self-identifying as asexual, claiming to be incapable of feeling desire or attraction,” the interview reads. “Accordingly, such individuals were less likely to have children or engage in sexual activity.”

‘An Asexual World’ also goes on to discuss a theory in which “the Stranding accelerated the proliferation of these sexualities.” The Stranding is the cataclysmic world event that leaves humanity struggling for survival, which has also resulted in people growing “reticent to form emotional connections with others.”

Death Stranding developer Kojima Productions depicting asexuality as a lifestyle choice is incorrect. It is a sexual orientation that is different from sexual abstinence or celibacy. Additionally, the studio has been criticized for equating asexuality with being unable to form emotional connections. The absence of a sexual desire does not mean an individual is unable to form a connection with someone else, and it also doesn’t mean that asexuals are devoid of sexual desire — many asexuals still enjoy sex and masturbation without necessarily experiencing sexual attraction.

It’s likely that Kojima Productions was looking to draw parallels with Japan’s decreasing fertility rate, but asexuality isn’t a decision to not have sex. The reasoning behind Japan’s reduced birth rate is complex — most point to a lack of jobs and stability in its economy for young people. However, asexuality is not the cause, as it isn’t a “lifestyle choice” as implied by Death Stranding.

I guess in the context of his created world asexuality might be seen as a negative, a detractor to the survival of Humanity.

That still doesn't make it right to throw out assumptions in a big media piece like that, which could reinforce or form real animosity toward people.

I think "reading the first paragraph of a Wikipedia page" really hit's the nail on its head.
It's a shallow analysis and representation.

EDIT: I don't attribute any malice to it though.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
giphy.gif

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think he's specifically critisizing Japan's "hervibore men" and it got somewhat lost un translation?

Even if not, isnt that what asexuals do? Not have sex?

As per usual gender identity and lifestyle choice are being freely conflated and used to bludgeon a designated target. Emblematic of how hopelessly fucked up conversation has become in these times where social credit is created by naming and shaming transgressors in the culture war.

Last edited:

ROMhack

I suppose the issue here is describing it as a conscious 'choice', which it often isn't.

Asexuality is a complex thing determined by psychological factors — hence why it's attributed to wider cultural issues in Japan that have decreased flourishing of human relationships.

Last edited:

bobone

Japanese males basically have testosterone levels of 100 right now.
Its clearly a comment based on observations of his own Japanese culture.

The concept of young men preferring ANYTHING over sex is mind blowing to me. And it probably is to Kojima too.

ROMhack

The concept of young men preferring ANYTHING over sex is mind blowing to me. And it probably is to Kojima too.

As somebody who doesn't tend to think that way, I find it a very curious thing.

Sure my day is punctuated by being attracted to women but it so rarely manifests into an outright sexual urge to fuck them.

Last edited:
EDIT: I don't attribute any malice to it though.

Yes, it's very possible to be ignorant without being malicious. I think the world would be more peaceful if we all just tried to give everyone the benefit of the doubt without knee-jerking to "set offense levels to 1000 captain!"

Personally, I just try to assume people making hurtful/hateful statements are uninformed about whatever the issue may be. I realize that is often not true, but getting angry at those who are living in a perpetual state of rage only adds fuel to the inferno.

And yet, that's his core demographic. Hell, I'd say he helped foster an entire generation of men like that.

The irony.

Yes, it's very possible to be ignorant without being malicious. I think the world would be more peaceful if we all just tried to give everyone the benefit of the doubt without knee-jerking to "set offense levels to 1000 captain!"

Personally, I just try to assume people making hurtful/hateful statements are uninformed about whatever the issue may be. I realize that is often not true, but getting angry at those who are living in a perpetual state of rage only adds fuel to the inferno.

I think the big elephant in the room, for me, is just how certain people use this plausible deniability to spout their hateful rethoric.
Everyone makes mistakes, and sometimes says some stupid shit. I think we all can get behind that.

Sometimes you just see a pattern of people being ignorant and then hiding behind the very fact that they were ignorant.
It's hard to tell apart these days who really "doesn't know better" and who just uses that "veil" to vent their bullshit.

But that gripe of mine is really off topic. It has nothing to do with the game or Kojima.

In the context of this thread I absolutely agree with you.

Last edited:

bilderberg

So Japan's declining birth rate isn't a result of choices by it's people? What is it then..?
giphy.gif

Also, how can you ever truly get anything correct when definitions are changing all the time? And I just don't see any real world consequence to Kojima's less than accurate depiction. So people think asexuals don't have sex...so fucking what?

June

The author should explain who or in what numbers people are making these "criticisms". Otherwise this article just comes across as them wanting to drum up responses from all sides to get dem clicks.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
asexual
adjective

asex·u·al | \ (ˌ)ā-ˈsek-sh(ə-)wəl , -shü-əl, -ˈsek-shəl\
Definition of asexual

1: lacking sex or functional sex organsasexual plants

2a: involving or reproducing by reproductive processes (such as cell division, spore formation, fission (see FISSION entry 1 sense 2), or budding (see BUD entry 2 sense intransitive 3)) that do not involve the union of individuals or gametesasexual reproductionan asexual generation
b: produced by asexual reproductionasexual spores

3a: not involving, involved with, or relating to sex : devoid of sexualityan asexual relationship
b: not having sexual feelings toward others : not experiencing sexual desire or attractionIn general, an asexual person does not feel or otherwise experience any sexual attraction, according to The Asexual Visibility & Education Network (AVEN). Basically, it is an inborn absence of sexual desire.— Lindsay E. Mack

4: not having or showing a particular sexual identity : neither male nor female… parents who first encounter the world of Pokemon through their youngsters may have no idea what this land of soft, rounded, asexual creatures is or what drives it.

:pie_thinking:

Last edited:

Dane

Here's a thing, its not only in Japan, is in the rest of the world.

Like, just playing devils advocate here (havent played ds), but what if instead of saying that's what is really happening right now, kojima is portraying how the future will perceive our actions.

When people look back on the past, it is usually through a lens of hindsight and act like those people back then could have fixed everything easily, they just chose not to.
Maybe that's what this game is saying? Maybe?

I dunno. I'm picking this shit up on pc lol.

Last edited:

renzolama

many asexuals still enjoy sex and masturbation without necessarily experiencing sexual attraction
Bullshit. That's the equivalent of claiming that many people enjoy food without experiencing smell/taste. You can't 'enjoy' sex and masturbation without those acts being linked psychologically to some kind of arousing focal point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom