• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding: Gamescom 2019 MAMA, Deadman, Ludens Fan | Character Spotlight Trailers

Mista

Banned

The first video introduces a character named Mama (portrayed by Margaret Qualley). According to Kojima, many characters will appear in Death Stranding, each with their own sub-story separate from the main story. Mama’s story is that her baby was born on the “other side,” rather than in her world, and they are connected only by umbilical cord. She is unable to leave her location because that is where her baby exists on the other side.

The second video introduces Deadman (portrayed by Guillermo del Toro) and the Bridge Baby. Dead Man explains a bit about the BB (Bridge Baby) Pod. The BB Pod is connected to the world of the dead, which enables the connection between the BB and Sam, granting Sam the ability to sense BTs. Players will journey together with the BB and build a connection, which will be part of the gameplay.

The third video, a gameplay clip, opens with protagonist Sam relaxing, before getting up to urinate on the grass, where a mushroom subsequently grows. Sam then heads towards his destination—a Delivery Terminal where he delivers “Lost Cargo: Character Figurines” to a character modeled after Geoff Keighley. Sam then leaves and falls off a cliff, causing his BB to cry. Sam then must cradle the BB using the DualShock 4 motion sensors to rock it calm. If you shake too fast, however, the BB will get upset.

-------------------------------------

According to Kojima, Sam must connect the fractured cities and people from the east to west, while avoiding obstacles such as BTs and terrorists. Along the way, you will also encounter those called Preppers, or people in hiding. While some Preppers do not have anything to do with the main story, players might want to find them and “connect” as they may provide something useful. When players start to connect like this in the game, they will somehow notice you are connected to others worldwide—though Kojima did not further elaborate.

Kojima also further touched on the urination scene at the beginning of the gameplay video, saying that players will not be able turn the camera to see Sam urinate, as he will always turn away before the camera reaches him. Sam also cannot urinate with other people around him. Kojima also noted that the mushroom grew when Sam urinated on it, and that if many players urinate at the same spot, something good may come later on.

Finally, Kojima said that while he cannot announce anything now, there will be many people who cameo in the game such as Geoff Keighley.

Kojima will show off more gameplay of Death Stranding at Tokyo Game Show 2019, which runs from September 12 to 15 at the Makuhari Messe in Chiba, Japan.

Here is an overview of Death Stranding, via PlayStation.com:
Tomorrow Is In Your Hands

After the collapse of civilization, Sam Bridges must journey across a ravaged landscape crawling with otherworldly threats to save mankind from the brink of extinction. From legendary game creator Hideo Kojima comes an all-new, genre-defying experience for the PlayStation 4 system.

Starring Norman Reedus, Mads Mikkelsen, Léa Seydoux, and Lindsay Wagner.

A Journey to Reconnect a Fractured Society

In the near future, mysterious explosions have rocked the planet, setting off a series of supernatural events known as the Death Stranding. With spectral creatures plaguing the landscape, and the planet on the verge of a mass extinction, it’s up to Sam Bridges to journey across the ravaged wasteland and save mankind from impending annihilation.
Gematsu

Last edited:

shaddam

todd-and-aaron.jpg

DonF

Give it to me. I'll go radio silence from now on. I want to be surprised by this master piece !

Reactions: Isa

mortal

Gold Member
The sense of scale is the best I've seen in an open world game thus far. The incline of the natural landscape was great. All of the small BB mechanics are pretty cool.

Screen shot folder is going to be well into the gigabytes.

McCheese

I dunno, I was getting bored just watching that 10-minute gameplay demo. barren landscapes, trivial gameplay mechanics like rocking a baby, peeing, putting a ladder up etc. I suspect I'll get more fun from watching the cutscenes on youtube than actually playing it.

Mista

Banned
Imagine telling your wife you don't want to have kids...

and then you sit there on the sofa shaking your dual shock controller around to calm a virtual baby down for dozens of hours at a time.

Peak 21st century.
While she's behind lurking and watching you being so considerate about a virtual baby. Top stuff innit🤣

scalman

how he walked on stones with some cool animation that i never saw before in game was wow , just after urination.
so you could do delivery missions where you deliver some cargo to some ships, thats cool , i would do that then a lot.

Holdfing

I dunno, I was getting bored just watching that 10-minute gameplay demo. barren landscapes, trivial gameplay mechanics like rocking a baby, peeing, putting a ladder up etc. I suspect I'll get more fun from watching the cutscenes on youtube than actually playing it.

I know, right? There was even a flipping cut in the vid to make it less boring. Didn't work. I hope they weren't bullshitting and show more at TGS.
Also, the constant fellating of Kojima is really getting on my nerves.

Saber

Gold Member
I feel like this game gonna lead too much salt and drama on the media.

As for me, I aways welcome more info and videos. Even more when its serious and confused stuff. Keep up.

Top Bottom