• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding: Gamescom 2019 MAMA, Deadman, Ludens Fan | Character Spotlight Trailers

GermanZepp

Fuck this. I was hoping for a gameplay breakdown on what the fuck you do in this game. All this 'mistery' begins to stink nonsense. Like, give a straight answers to know the limits of what i have being watching. Are missions walk from one point to another, with a little stealth and a little of shooting and a occasionally wacky boss? No mans sky vibes in the pr side of things. Fuck you kojima. Im mean, i would love to get hyped and pre order but i think im gonna wait until the eventual price cut. I was lookimg foward to play something new by the end of the year.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I honestly think its fascinating how this promo campaign is playing out.

To me it seems like Kojima is manipulating the expectation that each new trailer is somehow going to lay it all out as to what the game really is, but he keeps wrongfooting the audience by giving each trailer its own distinct "angle".

Its easy to overlook that trailers can be little movies in themselves, with the way they are cut and scored creating an impression completely different from the source their component parts are drawn from. This misdirecting effect can be amplified by the use of music because that can be used to really set a particular tone.

And of course, more than one of the longer Death Stranding trailers has acted almost like music videos, with the imagery cut to match a pre-existing song that may or may not be included in the game, and certainly aren't a part of the actual game score.

Consider that whole DS as a walking simulator meme is basically down to the first third of the E3 2018 trailer soundtracked to "Asylums for the feeling" by Silent Poets. Visually, its basically a montage of travel scenes, and mainly serves to create an Ico-esque sense of space and lonesomeness. Toenail-ripping aside (ouch), its rather lovely.

However, that's just the beginning, The middle section is significantly darker and shows Sam meeting Fragile whilst both hide from an unseen threat. This is a scene straight out of a fucking horror movie, but coming in from the serene opening, and offering a respite from its oppressive loneliness, it comes across as being more enigmatic than scary.

Towards the end of this sequence (which seems re-edited) Ludvig Forssel's score kicks-in briefly and we get a sense of what the true tone of the game actually is. After Fragile departs we find ourselves in a tense stealth sequence, where surrounded by spectral figures Sam attempts to escape from this supernatural peril and fails. Again, this is something straight out of horror movie, the only thing that really deflates the tension is the sheer strangeness of it all. The use of the bridge baby as a survival tool is pretty left-field by any standard.

The trailer concludes with a bizarre stinger showing Fragile eating a cryptobiote, which again somewhat defuses the menace displayed in the preceding sequences.

The point I'm getting at, is you only get "walking simulator" if you ignore 2 thirds of the trailer. The rest is stealth orientated horror game. But, that's what many people seem to have taken from it.

If you want to figure out what Death Stranding is actually like as a game, look at the footage that isn't packaged like this. The little "character intro's" he's been putting out later are actually very good for this because although they are self-contained cinematics that introduce characters and mechanics, they are contiguous narrative sequences with their unaltered soundtracks. Listen to the dialogue, and a pretty fucking morbid scenario appears. Death is an ever-present companion to all these characters and it feels a lot more dark and supernaturally tinged than something in a SF/action genre tale.

When we get creepy insights such as the way that BB's can "go bad" after a certain amount of time in service, then the unexplained sequences in past trailers where evil looking dolls replace the somewhat cute babies have a new and quite horrific context, especially when it seems we will need to take care of the little buggers over the course of the adventure.

Who said anything about the gameplay being mindblowing or doing something new? I didn't. I'm just pointing out there's more to do than walking. The gameplay isn't even what I'm mostly interested in with Death Stranding but rather its story, ideas, and visuals.
Well they did,even at Gamescom they talked about the new things they are doing.

Kojima himself said there's another secret trailer show to press only, so far
Is called briefing, and specifically talks about Sam's purpose in the game, making game's objectives clear
Unfortunately, no leaks yet, will be shown after Gamescom ends

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Are missions walk from one point to another, with a little stealth and a little of shooting and a occasionally wacky boss?
is this your first Kojima game? if not, then yes, what you do in all the other Kojima games, it's likely you do that here.

tbh i don't even know why you are so upset, you seem to have a good idea what the game is about. why are you cursing Kojima here?

honestly i don't get the overreactions. yes it's a game where you walk and stealth and shoot LIKE EVERY OTHER VIDEO GAME OUT THERE.

mejin

tumblr_mkmt6bPTaj1rkiuhro1_500.gif

GermanZepp

is this your first Kojima game? if not, then yes, what you do in all the other Kojima games, it's likely you do that here.

tbh i don't even know why you are so upset, you seem to have a good idea what the game is about. why are you cursing Kojima here?

honestly i don't get the overreactions. yes it's a game where you walk and stealth and shoot LIKE EVERY OTHER VIDEO GAME OUT THERE.

Hi man, i don't see the innovation in any of dat. Kojima don't explain nothing. I can understand maybe there are some story stuff he don't want to spoil. We are three months from launch and i don't know what kind of map the game has, what kind of length, what kind of interaction with other players we might have, despite being a single player game.
The cursing was purposely overreacted, i'm not mad at all. I just wanted a more informative trailer, like the ones Rockstar made before launching a game. It just that i my country the value of the money is going down and in the next months a $71,99 Usd game might represent half my rent. I don't like pre order nothing but in my case maybe i can save some serious money.

Last edited:

Digity

lol this will have no impact. we have people in this thread still saying "we have no idea what the map will look like" despite all the footage of gameplay in the map itself

IGN wrote something up descrbing what happens in this "briefing" video. It's all stuff we basically knew already or could easily piece together.

GHG

Hi man, i don't see the innovation in any of dat. Kojima don't explain nothing. I can understand maybe there are some story stuff he don't want to spoil. We are three months from launch and i don't know what kind of map the game has, what kind of length, what kind of interaction with other players we might have, despite being a single player game.
The cursing was purposely overreacted, i'm not mad at all. I just wanted a more informative trailer, like the ones Rockstar made before launching a game. It just that i my country the value of the money is going down and in the next months a $71,99 Usd game might represent half my rent. I don't like pre order nothing but in my case maybe i can save some serious money.

So you basically want them to spoil the game so you can potentially save some money?

Sometimes we don't always get what we personally want unfortunately. The game won't have a time limit though so if it comes out and it's to your liking you'll have plenty of time to get it when the time is right for you.

GermanZepp

So you basically want them to spoil the game so you can potentially save some money?

Sometimes we don't always get what we personally want unfortunately. The game won't have a time limit though so if it comes out and it's to your liking you'll have plenty of time to get it when the time is right for you.
yeah, spoil the game that's exactly what i said.. :messenger_expressionless:

Bullet Club

Here's the IGN "Briefing" trailer discussion on YT.

We just saw the Gamescom exclusive Death Stranding "Briefing" trailer that Kojima tweeted about earlier today and, wow... This is perhaps the most detail we've got into the story and world of Death Stranding to date. If you are at all confused as to what this game is even about, this won't answer all of your questions. But it does give us a few huge pieces to the puzzle of what, exactly, Sam Bridges is meant to be doing in Death Stranding and what all that we've seen up until now actually means.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
if buying a single game will cut into half of your rent money, then you probably should be concerned less about games and more about finding a better job

GermanZepp

lol this will have no impact. we have people in this thread still saying "we have no idea what the map will look like" despite all the footage of gameplay in the map itself
You don't know how the map is. It's full open world like a GTA ? is big like the USA? there are cities?, bases? etc, and You don't know what Kojima is going to show.

Terenty

Ok, either its just an unfortunate combination of time of day and specific area in the gamescom video or there was a significant downgrade. Specifically in lightning, vegetation/draw distance departments.

Compare graphics in this new trailer and e3 2019 one. Everything seems better there, the colours are vibrant, there's lots of vegetation covering ground even in the distance. When Sam deploys ladder in e3 trailer everything looks lush and aesthetically pleasing and how everything is washed out in the new footage.

And when Sam fights those yellow dudes notice how much grass and vegetation there. Here we have hardly any plants and the ground in the distance is completely bare with low res repeating textures.

Does anybody else see it?

Last edited:
just imagine that characters details if even screenshot from youtube crap compression can show you this detail
rBh2W2l.jpg

And Imagine something like this, but built around ps5 power
We'll seriously have an hard time trying to distinguish real images from videogames, on next gen

Game looks bonkers. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Will probably get the PC version whenever thats out, and we’ll probably know “what” it is by then. Thanks PS4 peeps!

Orta

Banned
May already have been posted...

Originally Posted by :
Death Stranding is a game about walking. As Sam Porter Bridges (or as you probably know him, Normal Reedus trapped in the uncanny valley), you are tasked with walking from the East coast of America to the West, reactivating various communication nodes along the way in an effort to spread a message of hope to a nation that has become fragmented and disconnected.

Originally Posted by :
Death Stranding is a game about a pilgrimage, about activating communication relays, and about delivering parcels to isolated corners of America in an attempt to establish social strands – building bonds with your fellow man in an effort to inspire hope in a dying society.

Originally Posted by :
To be honest, after seeing this section of the game, I'm not entirely unconvinced that this isn't a game built around the synchronization viewpoints of Assassin's Creed, or the lighting of the beacons in The Lord of the Rings. The best way to visualise these systems is to consider what happens to the map in any of the Assassin's Creed games once you scale a tower, take in the view, and get assaulted by a battery of waypoints.

When you zoom this far out, Death Stranding looks palatable. It isn't a collection of random concepts bridged by Kojima's friendships in Hollywood, but a game with a simple idea and a simple message. That's a good thing, because, all told, we actually know very little about the game, and that is a little terrifying given that the Death Stranding release date is set for November 8.

Erm, okay. Lots and lots of walking then.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
May already have been posted...

Erm, okay. Lots and lots of walking then.

As I've pointed out, this doesn't really mean anything though. Walking/traversal is just a means to get from point a to b. Is Silent Hill 2 a "walking simulator" because you spend the whole game walking round a deserted town avoiding ghosts? There's melee combat and boss-fights in that too, but they aren't the real draw to play and keep playing.

Its all about focus in the way the game's various elements are prioritized, which is something that you can't really judge until you play it, or have feedback from people who've played the game extensively. From the footage already shown we know combat is in the DS mix, we've seen melee, gunplay, boss-encounters, stealth, and bike-riding. But just lazily referencing that with an open-world setting does not mean we should expect it to play like MGSV or Days Gone - games which are effectively combat sandboxes.

Its frustrating to me the way its being presented in such binary terms, there's a world of possibilities between games that are interactive stories with minimal combat, and those that are non-stop action.

I keep referencing Silent Hill 2 because that represents the sort of middle ground approach where pure exploration, story, and atmosphere are balanced with the action component, rather than skewing hard to either pole. Its an approach that we haven't seen in the AAA space for a long time.

Hotspurr

Banned
Confusing game. If it was anyone other than Kojima this game would be getting ripped to shreds. Kojima made some decent games. But more recently, were MGS4 and 5 so good that he should get this much benefit of the doubt? At least don't preorder this, you wouldn't want to realize that you just bought into one man's delusion that was much greater than his ability.

juliotendo

I’m sorry but this “game” just looks like a lot of bizarre gibberish and mumbo jumbo sci fi bullshit with very very peculiar gameplay.

I’m just not seeing it. Maybe I’m alone.

Sweetloaf

I'm sure that this game is going to have a load of surprises on release. I don't want a walking/delivery man simulator where my respite from my job is to sit down or take a piss and really we all know that's not a true reflection of the final game.

What I can't stand is the cheers that follow a demonstration of your character (If you even play as the Reedus character)...taking a piss? I feel like Kojima is laughing at you if that's what impresses you in a game.

If only I'd be capable to totally go blind and experience DS without knowing nothing else... :(

I'm sure it'd be the greatest videogamer experience ever
But I know I'll never resist the curiosity

hunthunt

Banned
I have never read theories about this game but i have watched every trailer and from what i uinderstand giant lovecraftian-esque aliens invaded earth and caused people to die and get in a weird state between alive and death, an only pregnant woman and people close to babies can see the beasts and the death-alive people. So this dude needs to carry the baby to work as a messager delivering and getting stuff from survivors. We need to get rid of the monsters, interchange supplies and of course mantain the baby alive to keep goin on.

Surely im wrong tough.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I have never read theories about this game but i have watched every trailer and from what i uinderstand giant lovecraftian-esque aliens invaded earth and caused people to die and get in a weird state between alive and death, an only pregnant woman and people close to babies can see the beasts and the death-alive people. So this dude needs to carry the baby to work as a messager delivering and getting stuff from survivors. We need to get rid of the monsters, interchange supplies and of course mantain the baby alive to keep goin on.

Surely im wrong tough.

Basically yeah

World of the dead collides with the world of the living and civilization collapses (think Silent Hill's area haunting on a global scale).
Your job is to try and rebuild some sort of nation by connecting isolated survivors via a network of transport/communication terminals.

To this end Sam must travel from the East to West coast of the continental US locating survivors, doing jobs for them, and creating new strands (connections) in this social network you form. You are following in the footsteps of Amelie, who started this journey some time before and is apparently confined by the bad-guy faction "Homo Demens" at their city fortress on the west coast.

No doubt as this network builds, so will our abilities and understanding of the story. I get the feeling it will work similarly to mother base in MGSV, except with a more social component allowing players to share their finds and connections with other players. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't an analogue to the global nuclear disarmament meta-trigger in MGSV, based on total number of connections made.

Along the way you must contend with rough terrain, attacks by dissidents/bandits, and the ever present invading threat. The so called BT's and their spectral cohorts from the world of the dead.

The BB's are just a tool by which you can detect the presence of the otherwise invisible threat. Although it appears that some people with a condition called DOOMS can sense them to some extent, as indicated by them exhibiting an allergic response to them if nearby.

When attacked by a BT the victim is dragged into their world, and somehow the BB's play a role in allowing a return back to the land of the living because being unborn they somehow exist on the boundary between the two worlds. The past warzones represent a collective memory within the ghost-world, not time travel, so I suspect they will work like the Sorrow's boss fight in MGS3. This is probably why lethal force is undesirable, as any living soul you kill will be waiting for you on the "other side"

Similarly the aging effect of the timefall (the supernatural rain) seems to be bringing the affected closer to death rather than actually fast-forwarding time per-se, which is why only biological entities seem to react to it.

My theory: Death Stranding mixes in the unused Silent Hills concept with several elements of past MGS game, specifically V and 3. The SF thing is mostly stage-dressing and has been used to downplay the supernatural aspect, probably so as to avoid legal issues with Konami. Like SH, combat will be mainly melee, except when facing threats native to the "other world" where gunplay will be preferable.

My theory on the theme/resolution of the story below. Spoiler-tagged in case I'm right.

Expect the game to be full of allusions to "connection" in many ways. The overall message being one stressing the value of unity and community, and a resolution based on reconciliation between the two worlds. Because throughout, the subtext is that the "other" world isn't actually that alien, in the end its just us.

Last edited:
Top Bottom