• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dedicated Gamers sit outside of GameStop 15+ hours before PS-5 Preorders open again

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I will go to my local GameStop at 11:30am tomorrow which is 30 minutes before they open and if there's more than 10 people waiting outside, im coming back home. Luckily, im 10 minutes away. Hehe.

Which in that case, I will try pre-ordering online. If I can't, I will just wait. No biggie.

I sat outside my local Gamestop for three hours before opening to secure an Xbox X. Fuck the online noise especially after trying to get a 3080 at first. What is three hours out of my day with a book versus the stress and crazy of trying to secure an online order?

DavJay

Nice to see great passion from gamers. They are really excited and I’m happy for them. But it’s not worth.

The Alien

Banned
Comrade Zach?

Comrade Zach waits in line 15 hours to land a PS5?

Please, sweet Jesus, tell me Comrade Zach is taking time off from LARPing at the "peaceful protests" where he was working to bring down capitalism. It would just be so 2020.

(Side question...u lose your place in line if you gotta poop?)

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I remember walking into Babbages on a Sunday morning before they opened the metal gates in the mall. I was the first one in the store for a GameCube. Things like midnight launches and waiting in line to be the first are exciting. I once waited in line for 5 hours before Halo 2 came out. I was freezing. I went out at midnight and got a PS4 with no games. The best part was the drive home with the console in the backseat. I think I took a picture of it while I parked somewhere. It was wonderful. However, I’m glad I went and got one from an online retailer. I do plan to do some in-store pickups on day 1 considering the console will probably be delayed.

EB Games had me on their list for 360s for launch and I made it to the second shipment. With the PS2 I just walked in and grabbed my console. Those 1st party memory cards were sold out everywhere at the time. While it’s insane to think about it now, it’s still a cool thing to look back on years later.

Hawk269

To ensure I got my Series X I was in line at 430am, which was 4.5 hours before the Store opened. I got EXTREMELY lucky with my PS5 Disk edition. Wife works in the same strip mall as the Gamestop and she walked over and got one for me. My timing was good, I was off of work and was following posts here and other places when I heard they started before they should have, so just called her and she walked over.

Bryank75

Banned
Nice to see great passion from gamers. They are really excited and I’m happy for them. But it’s not worth.
It's all personal, it is worth it to them.
If I didn't have my pre-order secured I might have considered such lunacy...

Hawk269

What do you do when you have to use the bathroom and need to leave the line?
Unless you are a person that hates other people and don't talk to anyone then that would be a problem. For the most part, your fellow gamer waiting in a line for a long time are very nice and have no issues with you leaving. When I was waiting in line, several people left to use the bathroom with no issues. We did joke and say all their shit would be gone and we all (the rest in line) said "we don't know who you are and you were not here in line with the rest of us".

I actually had my wife drop off breakfast for everyone in line. People thought it was a nice gesture and I ended up adding 9 people to my Friends list on Xbox. We had a lot of fun waiting.

I worked at a EB when World of Warcraft came out, some how all the Big boxed CE were sold out before we opened the door...

Wow the one I worked at wouldn't let us even take our pre-ordered games until they made sure there were enough for the customers who pre-ordered first. Pissed me off too, I paid for it just like they did it's not like I go it for free lol.

Desperate people do desperate things. It's a life or death matter for these people. It's not like you can play a pre-order, I'd wait until they are readily available, just like I'm going to wait for the new 30xx Nvidia graphic cards when I can pick one up easily, no rush. For these desperate people, I have one piece of advice for them, GET A LIFE!

Long time former Stop vet here.

Firstly, the notion that employees swipe them up to scalp is absolute hyperbole. I'm sure it happens, but not on a large scale of "flipping".

Yes, employees ARE allowed to reserve first before customers. But a lot of them tended to use it like a layaway.

However, I would not allow an associate to reserve a system unless it was paid in full up front with whatever game they chose, or paid by a specific date of their choice. It could be launch, but must be launch. No 48 hour hold.

Also if a store closes, those allocated units will go to a nearby store. They wont vanish.

Also the customers who lined up at my store were always the best and nicest people. It is a shame GameStop doesn't treat customers properly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom